View Poll Results: Which film is better
Thor (2011) 86 38.74%
Thor: The Dark World (2013) 115 51.80%
Tie 21 9.46%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #126
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Because he loved the film or hated it?
I think he's upset with the critical reception/RT Score.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #127
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I am kind of shocked by the reception, specifically by the RT top critics. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with that big a gap between the standard RT rating and the top critic rating.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #128
Destructus86
Side-Kick

No contest for me. Thor 2 completely blew the first Thor out of the water...and I loved the first Thor.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #129
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

No slight against the first Thor (which I love) but Thor 2 is amazing. I just saw it for the second time tonight and appreciated it even more. I feel it's got just as much heart as the first one but with higher stakes, more gravitas, enlarged mythos, wackier Kirby-esque concepts, and great performances across the board from all the characters. It's close to rivaling Avengers for me. If I could see a director's cut I bet it would surpass Avengers.

I do give Branagh a huge amount of credit for introducing Thor in a way he can actually work on the big screen along with building a great cast and supporting characters you actually care about in the second film. But I think Alan Taylor's got a hell of a touch. I'm amazed at how epic this felt for such a short run time. If Taylor had more movie making experience under his belt, I'm sure he would've been given a longer leash. He seems like a great team player and I hope he sticks around for another go with a bit more latitude next time.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #130
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I think THOR has a ton of more charm and character to it than TDW, and that pains me because I was so looking forward to it. I just can't give the film any edge over THOR except in the production design/sfx department, but if I don't care about who and what is transpiring in an imagined world or worlds I just can't give that a pass, ya know? And thus is the case here. I just did not care, and felt very disengaged from the characters. Loki was entertaining, but that was a given, and disappointing because I wanted to be entertained by Thor and his allies more than his brother in a film with his name on it.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #131
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Thor was easily the superior film, but Thor: TDW will appeal much more greatly to the general audience and your average fan.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #132
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I think THOR has a ton of more charm and character to it than TDW, and that pains me because I was so looking forward to it. I just can't give the film any edge over THOR except in the production design/sfx department, but if I don't care about who and what is transpiring in an imagined world or worlds I just can't give that a pass, ya know? And thus is the case here. I just did not care, and felt very disengaged from the characters. Loki was entertaining, but that was a given, and disappointing because I wanted to be entertained by Thor and his allies more than his brother in a film with his name on it.
I wouldnt say I didnt care what was happening to the characters in TDW, I just didnt care as much as the 1st movie. TDW just had an emotional detachment to it for me, following what are supposed to be hugely emotional scenes with humerous ones minutes later obviously didnt help.

The 1st movie had plenty of humour, but its big and dramatic moments were left to breathe and in doing so had much more impact than the ones in the sequel.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #133
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Never liked the first Thor movie, TDW is much better.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #134
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I wouldnt say I didnt care what was happening to the characters in TDW, I just didnt care as much as the 1st movie. TDW just had an emotional detachment to it for me, following what are supposed to be hugely emotional scenes with humerous ones minutes later obviously didnt help.

The 1st movie had plenty of humour, but its big and dramatic moments were left to breathe and in doing so had much more impact than the ones in the sequel.
The concern and care for the characters in TDW really comes from Thor and The Avengers imo. You are already emotionally involved.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #135
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

It is too soon for a poll like this. Wait a year and the results would be drastically different.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #136
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It is too soon for a poll like this. Wait a year and the results would be drastically different.
True. Unless the "shiny new toy" is truly and utterly horrible, it is going to get that instant gut reaction from a large portion of the crowd imo. Heck, TDW was being considered a better film by some even before it hit. Almost assumed it would better then the first film.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #137
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The concern and care for the characters in TDW really comes from Thor and The Avengers imo. You are already emotionally involved.
Yeah, but in the movie itself they should have added some things to make us care more and give Thor an arc, they didnt really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Said this myself when I posted a few pages back. In 12 months time when TDW has been out on BD and re-watched a lot, I think Thor 1 will be a getting a lot more votes.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #138
Destructus86
Side-Kick

What was so great about Thor 2 was the fact we really got to see the sci-fi aspect of the MCU more than in the previous film. Space ships battling, epic fights and freaking Dark Elves. Loved it.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #139
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Not sure which I like better. Gotta see TTDW again to tell. I can tell though that Thor1 had more charm to it and that goes a long way. Better score as well. TTDW hs a bigger feel, better action, FX and Loki is the best here that he's ever been. It's a toss up at this point.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #140
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

The only thing i dislike about the Marvel films so far is how they treating the villains, besides Loki, nearly all the other villains have been 1 dimensional and underwhelming. They never come off as major threat, and are easily disposed of.

Malekith was so under developed that if it was revealed that he was a actor named Trevor Slattery, the character would have been better for it.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #141
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

As a FILM, Thor is leagues better. However The Dark World was way more entertaining and fun, with some great world-building, just needed a lot of script work. Overall I prefer TDW.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #142
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
The only thing i dislike about the Marvel films so far is how they treating the villains, besides Loki, nearly all the other villains have been 1 dimensional and underwhelming. They never come off as major threat, and are easily disposed of.

Malekith was so under developed that if it was revealed that he was a actor named Trevor Slattery, the character would have been better for it.

I'll agree on villains when it comes to Phase 2 movies. I thought Phase 1 had plenty of strong and memorable villains. Loki is the only stand out in Phase 2 and he's not even the main guy.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #143
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I think the MCU villains in general have been really poor, sans Loki. It may be a big reason why Thor is my favourite non Avengers MCU because the villain was great. Having a lot of emotion and heart helps as well of course, but no MCU villain other than Loki has really been that memorable or that big a threat either. Its disappointing to say the least.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #144
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Thor TDW was bumpy in execution, but it was far more ambitious than the first movie, so I'll give it some leeway. I totally understand some of the complaints of the 2nd film, but I do think it's a better film. The first film is a good example of how to make a basic quality superhero film, but it certainly wasn't a game changer. I thought this film strived to be a game changer, but fell short. I'd rather reward a film for setting a high bar and failing to reach it, than a simple film for a solid base hit.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #145
nocomics
Side-Kick

This is a real no brainer imo, TDW was way better, and the goofiness was toned down some.

nocomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #146
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

It's a tie for me.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #147
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I liked many parts of the first but all in all, it was disappointing. Even though it shares much of the previous movie's problems, Thor 2 was much more fun.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #148
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Thor TDW was bumpy in execution, but it was far more ambitious than the first movie, so I'll give it some leeway. I totally understand some of the complaints of the 2nd film, but I do think it's a better film. The first film is a good example of how to make a basic quality superhero film, but it certainly wasn't a game changer. I thought this film strived to be a game changer, but fell short. I'd rather reward a film for setting a high bar and failing to reach it, than a simple film for a solid base hit.
I somewhat agree with what you are saying, but this makes TDW all the more disappointing to me as it could have so easily been a game changer if Marvel wouldnt have meddled to much. Two things they have had a big influence in was the length of the movie and the amount of comedy, Taylor himself has said Marvel influenced these things and they both bring the movie down IMO.

Make the movie 15-20 mins longer, let the emotional and dramatic scenes breathe more, and dont have comedy scenes interspersed or happening seconds after said emotional and dramatic moments and already the movie would have been an improvement on what we actually got. A lot of the comedy in TDW worked and was funny, but it ruined too many important scenes for me. Marvel needs to learn IMO, the 3 movies they meddled with most, TDW, TIH and IM2, got the worst critical receptions out of all their movies, and the latter 2 are considered the worst by many as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #149
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Both had a few of my favorite scenes in the entire MCU (Loki learning his lineage, Odin holding Frigga, others I won't list because of spoilers).

However, TDW was much better. Thor was full of cheesy moments that I couldn't ignore. Both films had issues with misplaced comedy that ruined the atmosphere at times for me. Both were still great, but TDW was better.

Thor: B-
TDW: B+

TDW is third, just behind Avengers on my list (Iron Man is #1).

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #150
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I find the Thor franchise to be right in the middle of the pack for me. Now given where Thor is at the end of TTDW I wonder if we might get to see some of his human villains like the Wrecker and Absorbing Man. That'd be a change up from the first two movies and Thor3 might break out and achieve greatness. We'd still need some Asgardian stuff in Thor3 if they did that since I believe both those villains got their powers from Asgardian magic that Loki was using. So if Thor3 is more of a traditional superhero on Earth tale(stopping crime, saving civilians, etc.) would you guys like that or should we just get more mostly Asgard settings like the first two films?