3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #51
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Right. Like a certain other Infinity Stone. "She's misbehaving. We turn of the power she turns it back on."

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #52
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It is done simply to make Jane important to the plot again.

And if we are using that logic, why does it keep going to Svartalfheim? Midgard is between Jotunheim and Nidavellir. But the vast majority of the portals go to Svartalfhiem.
That's backwards thinking. Thor is the protector of man, both in the comics and in the mythology. Of course he will always have some of his focus toward that realm. Jane is one thing the comics introduced to establish that connection.

Midgard isn't just between two realms. Look at the drawings in the movie.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #53
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Also I'm pretty sure the Aether was hidden in Svartalfheim.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine's Run View Post
Estimated $86 million for the weekend, over $300 million worldwide.

Bring on Thor 3!!!

TeeKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #55
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Actually, I don't think Jane finding the Aether was coincidence. Remember that when Jane was in Asgard, it acted without her desire to "defend" her. I would not be shocked in the slightest if the Aether *deliberately* drew her towards it, via the Convergence gates. It "wanted" to get loose into the larger world.
As Thor, or perhaps it was Odin can't remember, states immediately afterwards it's not defending Jane it is defending itself. Admittedly, it could be possible but this is the sorta thing you need to explain in the movie. But they they also failed to explain that the cave could apparently block Malakeith's Aether homing sense...

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #56
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I like Superhero movies so I am fine with most plot contrivances, I was okay with Jane getting infected. I just felt that the investigation of the building scene was too long.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #57
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Um, yes it is. The fact that she stumbled upon one of these anomalies is fine. The problem is that this portal takes her directly to the Aether. The chances of it taking her to the Aether rather than any other place in the nine worlds completely strains credibility. And this isn't the only time something like this happens.

Another huge one is that Thor and Jane just happen to stumble upon the portal that the intern threw the keys through.
She doesn't just stumble upon it. They are researching it and they aren't in London for no reason. When they come to the site of the anomalies she discovers a new reading, which is the Aether. It's of course an unlikely event, but if the Aether was hidden well then it would take something unlikely to find it.

The part with the portal back to Earth is what anyone that wants to talk about plot conveniences should mention, not the first one.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #58
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
She doesn't just stumble upon it. They are researching it and they aren't in London for no reason. When they come to the site of the anomalies she discovers a new reading, which is the Aether. It's of course an unlikely event, but if the Aether was hidden well then it would take something unlikely to find it.
It was my understanding that the anomalies aren't from the Aether but from upcoming converge. But I could be wrong.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #59
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Seriously are people really that bothered by Jane finding the Aether?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #60
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
lol. idk so much about bothered, but rather they thought it was a rather noticeably convenient plot device.

I personally think the motions leading up to and following Jane's contact with the Aether are completely understandable and in no way more convenient than certain other MCU plots.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #61
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I like Superhero movies so I am fine with most plot contrivances, I was okay with Jane getting infected. I just felt that the investigation of the building scene was too long.
They stuck with Jane and crew quite a while there. Wasn't expecting that.

Quote:
It really isn't that big a deal. We are just discussing it. More about overall writing for me. The film was all over the place in that regard for me.

If you want to talk about something else, we can.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #62
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
It was my understanding that the anomalies aren't from the Aether but from upcoming converge. But I could be wrong.
No, you are right about that. I just mean that there's a chain of events that lead there. Jane starting to study that field after Thor visited Earth, they go to London in the search, something finally happens which their equipment picks up, they go there and she gets readings from something else.

Of course you can call that stumbling upon something in one sense, but not in the meaning that it's completely random (which has been argued in the thread(s)).

Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #63
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Are we seriously talking about convenience in a movie being a problem?!? Guys, every freaken movie has convenient moments to advance the story. This is absolutely ridiculous. The entire Joker-gets-caught-on-purpose aspect of TDK is so unbelievably convenient it's almost laughable. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Poor T:TDW. You guys are nitpicking the most unimportant aspects of the movie and using it as a reason not to like it.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #64
-JKR-
Side-Kick

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm not very surprised with the 'meh' reactions. The trailers so far have been lacking any real appeal.

The first 'Thor' had a subpar script, made of half choices, where nothing seemed like it had any real weight, and where the directive from the studio/producers seemed: 'Introduce these guys quick, so we can move to the big crossover.' But then it had one saving grace: its director. Kenneth Branagh.

Branagh fully believed in the flick, despite the weak-ish script. He tried hard to give the movie personality, to flesh out the characters (as much as was possible under the circumstances), and to bring a Kirby-esque feel to the look of the movie. Kind of a novelty in fantasy cinema. And of course some people complained about the look being unusual for a fantasy flick.

Now: I can't judge further until I see the movie, but the previews for 'The Dark World' so far have done very little to impress me. Once again, the impression is that there's not much at stake, and in addition gone is the charm Branagh brought to the first pic. Out goes that, in comes a direction which looks like it's trying to be as similar as possible to the recent fantasy fare.

Call me unimpressed. Let's hope it'll be a pleasant surprise (the movie is not out yet in Italy).

Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #65
warhorse78
Side-Kick

So, those who saw it in 3D, how many of you did get the Captain America 5 minute preview? I would like to see it, but I have been reading that many people got nothing more than the CA WS trailer that's already online. So, is Disney just lying to try and get more people to see the more expensive 3D, or is there a legit 5 minute preview, or is it in just select cities?

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #66
TeeKay
Side-Kick

@Darth and prOxy...

I didn't really think it was a big deal but I agree with Spidey, that investigation scene went on for too long. You can discuss as long as you guys want, I was just really surprised it was a writing issue for you but fair enough.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #67
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
No, you are right about that. I just mean that there's a chain of events that lead there. Jane starting to study that field after Thor visited Earth, they go to London in the search, something finally happens which their equipment picks up, they go there and she gets readings from something else.

Of course you can call that stumbling upon something in one sense, but not in the meaning that it's completely random (which has been argued in the thread(s)).
Well see my problem doesn't lie with the fact that she is investigating these anomalies and portals. As you point out it make sense that she is investigating such things. It just feels very convenient that this portal leads to the Aether of all the places in the nine worlds. The chances of something like that happening are minuscule.

But it didn't really bother me. After all, this is a movie about viking gods running around with laser swords battling against evil elves hellbent on destroying the universe.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #68
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
Are we seriously talking about convenience in a movie being a problem?!? Guys, every freaken movie has convenient moments to advance the story. This is absolutely ridiculous. The entire Joker-gets-caught-on-purpose aspect of TDK is so unbelievably convenient it's almost laughable. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Poor T:TDW. You guys are nitpicking the most unimportant aspects of the movie and using it as a reason not to like it.
You just proved jmc right.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #69
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Well, to be honest, if it's the one thing that is being so acutely focused on I'd say bravo T:TDW. Could have a lot worse flaws than just some minor convenient plot devices. I don't think anyone here is saying it makes or breaks the film. Just that it's worth discussing.

Quote:
@Darth and prOxy...

I didn't really think it was a big deal but I agree with Spidey, that investigation scene went on for too long. You can discuss as long as you guys want, I was just really surprised it was a writing issue for you but fair enough.
I think any scene in the film that wasn't Thor getting his ass kicked by Kurse went on for too long. I want ten more minutes of just that.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #70
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Calm down.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #71
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Well, to be honest, if it's the one thing that is being so acutely focused on I'd say bravo T:TDW. Could have a lot worse flaws than just some minor convenient plot devices. I don't think anyone here is saying it makes or breaks the film. Just that it's worth discussing.

I think any scene in the film that wasn't Thor getting his ass kicked by Kurse went on for too long. I want ten more minutes of just that.
I thought the escape was pretty fantastic. Loki's "line" joke, the cameo and Thor trying to start the ship.

I also like how he talked to Sif. Loki seems to know something about Sif and Thor, that Thor doesn't.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #72
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
I thought the escape was pretty fantastic. Loki's "line" joke, the cameo and Thor trying to start the ship.

I also like how he talked to Sif. Loki seems to know something about Sif and Thor, that Thor doesn't.
How did Loki talk to Sif? I don't remember :/

Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #73
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

Loki was being a troll during that escape scene, I loved it. he was trash talking to the point where Thor threw him out and I was dying of laughter when that happened.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #74
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Well see my problem doesn't lie with the fact that she is investigating these anomalies and portals. As you point out it make sense that she is investigating such things. It just feels very convenient that this portal leads to the Aether of all the places in the nine worlds. The chances of something like that happening are minuscule.

But it didn't really bother me. After all, this is a movie about viking gods running around with laser swords battling against evil elves hellbent on destroying the universe.
Yes, it's a very small chance but she's pretty much the one that had the biggest chance of finding it (of the people we've seen this far in the MCU) and it's a pretty common trope of the fantasy genre that these things happen.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #75
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
How did Loki talk to Sif? I don't remember :/
I think he means the scene where Loki shapeshifted Thor into Sif. Darth correct me if I'm wrong.