3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #76
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I no longer care about convenience in TDW. All I know is United just beat Arsenal. I am in too good a mood to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
How did Loki talk to Sif? I don't remember :/
He just says "good to see you too Sif", but the way he said it, that he said it after saying he likes Jane, combined with the scene earlier seems like a little bit of fandom fun.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #77
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I no longer care about convenience in TDW. All I know is United just beat Arsenal. I am in too good a mood to care.
That was clearly just plot convenience for the excitement of the league. They can't have the superior gunners win the premiership too early.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #78
TeeKay
Side-Kick

I hate United. There I said it. Liverpool FTW!!!

TeeKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #79
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

You'll can't rain on my parade. I am like Jane with the Aether, with a protective shield.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #80
warriorking
Side-Kick

Guys take a breath, except the fact its not the movie you wanted or expected and then... Go see it again..
You will be surprised how much you like it the second time, I was a little disappointed when I saw it Thursday..
I saw it again on Saturday and found myself really enjoying the movie for what it is..
Sure it has some flaws but you will find yourself more forgiving the second time, trust me..
And watch those around you, they are having a great time...This movie is not a flop by any means and Marvel is pleased.
We will see a Thor 3 and it to is going to cause the same dissent any follow up sequel brings..

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #81
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I would also. Loki, Jane, Odin, Siv and the Warriors Three are great supporting characters. Hell, Erik was a great supporting character in Thor and The Avengers. So why was the latter completely degraded into a running joke, Odin made to act completely out of character and Siv and the Warriors Three neglected in favor of Kat Dennings and an intern?
Character progression. Simple as that. Sometimes it is just not about the plot but about characters and in Selvigs case this being a sequel comes into play. If Selvig had been unchanged after the events in TA, I guess the same people would protest about the lack of his character progression that are now protesting because there was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
This I like. That it attaches itself to Thor's girlfriend out of everyone in the universe though, why didn't it just open a portal to Malekith in that case? If it "active" while in the stone of course.
One reason might be Malekith's hibernation mode. When the Aether was on the search for a host, Malekith had not awoken yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
Guys take a breath, except the fact its not the movie you wanted or expected and then... Go see it again..
You will be surprised how much you like it the second time, I was a little disappointed when I saw it Thursday..
I saw it again on Saturday and found myself really enjoying the movie for what it is..
Sure it has some flaws but you will find yourself more forgiving the second time, trust me..
And watch those around you, they are having a great time...This movie is not a flop by any means and Marvel is pleased.
We will see a Thor 3 and it to is going to cause the same dissent any follow up sequel brings..
I don't think it is necessarily dissent, just a bunch of people that have no sense of humor

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #82
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
I'm going to see it again later today in order to tie up loose ends on how I feel about this movie.

By and large, my biggest issue is that literally there are no defining moments percolating in my brain ..... there's no classic line deliveries or action sequences that will remain embedded in my mind for years to come.

I think the writers were overwhelmed by the ambition the film originally set out to capture .... I mean let's be honest the All-Writer Joss Whedon was brought in to comb through and tweak some things. Combine that with a certain style of film Feige and the Marvel Execs want and you get inconsistencies.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 11-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Rock Sexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #83
Octoberist
point blank

8 of out 10

I liked it but yes, it felt like a film that went through several edits, making the pace somewhat choppy. Including the prologue right before the titles appear, it felt awkward..as if there were more to show but they left it out.

GOOD:

-Overall the acting is great especially with Tom and Chris.

-Asgard is fully realized here. A world of magic and science merged, and creates its own look.

THE SO SO

-The Cinematography was uneven, and it could be due to the handling of the Red Epic digital cameras. Sometimes certain scenes are too dark; and certain scenes look like video. I blasted Iron Man 3's cinematography for being dreary but at least it was consistent.

-I didn't mind the humor but I wish someone with a comedic background would punch up the script. There are some really good jokes in here, and some really meh ones too. I love Kat Dennings but I wish she was a character and not a walking gag-machine. Give her a small arc next time.

BAD:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
-Frigga's death and the after math was poorly done. Yes I agree Thor's reaction was odd and apathetic.

-Once Thor and Loki are being chased by the Asgardians, it DID feel like the Star Wars prequels. Where it's a CGI overload and I felt…numb. But I really don't know how else they could've done it..maybe if given more time, it would've looked more polished?

-The main villain was so underwritten. Even if your villain is the silent type, make him scary and I'm sorry to say, the 8th Doctor was more threatening as Destro.

-The total wasted potential of a Sif love triangle. Stop teasing us with that, and get to it.

Last edited by Octoberist; 11-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #84
Figs
Side-Kick

Despite having mixed feelings after seeing Thor: The Dark World, I find it funny that some of the things I was worried about from early reviews I didn't mind and some of the things people were positive about I was a tad disappointed with.

Frigga's death and the funeral were perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. People made it sound like the overall scene was 10 seconds long. The funeral scene was great and I think it would have been a bit overkill to spend 10+ minutes of them grieving. If the movie was allowed to run longer, than that would have been fine, but with the somewhat short run time, I was fine with it.

The thing that really pissed me off and I'm shocked that some people actually preferred this fight over the other action scenes in the movie was the fight with Kurse. I haven't read too many Thor comics so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Algrim/Kurse his own villain and not someone's right hand man? He was completely wasted in this film. He knocks Mjolnir away twice, throws a boulder then punches Thor in the face a few times...then Loki kills him, not Thor. People complained about the end fight in IM2 with Rourke, but I thought that was fairly decent, especially since the fight with the drones I consider to be part of the overall end fight.

The fight with Kurse was embarassing lame. The fact that he can be killed so easily is face palm worthy. So basically "The Kursed" just have super strength but when it comes to defense with that body armor they're no different than a regular dark elf.

I agree with you Octoberist about Darcy. I don't necessarily need her to have an arc, but I wish they actually gave her some meaningful or important dialogue. Every line Dennings had was a joke.

To those hardcore Thor fans that read the comics. In the comics does it really have huge Star Wars vibes like this film? I know Asgard is supposed to be far more advanced than Earth, but the shooting of lasers just didn't fit in that world for me.

Surprisingly I didn't mind the humor during the last fight but the fight should have had more scenes of Thor and Malekith beating each other down. It seemed like half of it was them simply falling and rolling down buildings and hills(in the other realm).

I'm going to give this film a second watch in the theater and see if I'll warm up to it a bit more, but I really don't know where to rank it against all the other Marvel Studio films. I will say I like it more than TIH and probabaly IM2 since those two are at the bottom for me. As of right now, I kind of like the first Thor a little more.

Figs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #85
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah I didn't mean give her a full arc, but something to do besides relaying information to Natalie Portman.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #86
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Dennings did have an arc! She realized that she loved her intern during a climatic moment.

But gotta love her character because these kind of movies NEVER have a character like Darcy. If they have a comic relief character, it is usually male. I think she was an extremely lively and unusual addition to the movie.

I frankly want even more of her next time. If I were the writer of Thor 3, I would make her one of the co-leads. I think she is a priceless character.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #87
Octoberist
point blank

It's so funny how she treated him like crap..for no reason. I guess if he was nerdy looking sure, but the dude wasn't ugly. I mean I 'get the joke' (treating the intern like crap cliche) but it's so strange.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #88
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't think making out counts as love necessarily.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #89
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I mean yeah. It was kinda a "funny love". But I think she just loved ordering about her intern and just plain having an intern after being Jane's intern for so long. It brought her up the ladder, so to say.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #90
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Once my professional review is posted, I will link it. Here are some of my observations, in less than refined form.

I. Influences:

*Thor and Loki's relationship in the film is similar to that of Blondie and Tuco in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
*Dragonball Z also informed some of the later fight sequences, especially the final showdown: when Kurse hefted the boulder at Thor and when (Malekith) was punched into the mountainside, I thought, well, this is like a live action DBZ fight. It is awesome!
*H.P. Lovecraft. Selvig babbling out impossible physics and other realms in the asylum paid homage to the man's writing. All Selvig had to do was reference R'lyeh or Cthulu, and it would have been perfect.
*Malekith's Plan is a synthesis of doomsday plans from prior sources: the Dalek's Reality Bomb from the Doctor Who Series 4 finale, Zod's plan from MOS, and Nero's revenge from ST09.
*The Dark Elves' ship and armor are a blend of H.R. Giger's work and the design from the Mordor architecture and armor from LOTR.

II. Pros

-The film had terrific design.
-Loki had a terrific arc.
-It was nice having Jane assist with the takedown of the villain, instead of being helpless.
-No SHIELD presence.
-I felt like everyone contributed or did something important for the film; the Warriors 3 felt underused in Thor.
-No bad performances. Everyone was great.
-Nice end credits (I did not like the ones from Im3.)
-The film was grim, which was appropriate, considering the stakes.
-Abundance of Norse imagery + the Simonson + Kirby-Lee references

3. Cons

-Darcy was great - I love Kat Dennings' work-but, I felt she had a few too many one liners. Having her say something other than a joke every now and then would have been okay.
-Occasionally, some of the jokes fell flat (but, for the majority of the time, they worked well.)
-I wish they had expanded on why Selvig was at Stonehenge. I feel that there was a critical scene excised that would have expanded on the site's importance with the alignment of the realms. Just saying he was insane makes his arc inconsistent.

These complaints are minor. I loved the film and think it is the best comic book film offering this year (tho I have not seen Wolverine, yet. But, if the film is as accurate as the script, I suspect my rankings will remain the same.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #91
seahammer
Side-Kick

A few people have mentioned here that they thought Thor didn't react appropriately to Frigga's death. What should he have done differently?

-He ran in and blasted Malekith in the face, and hurled Mjolnir at them until they got away and turned invisible.
-He mourned at Frigga's funeral. (Loki got his own reaction scene because he wasn't present at either Frigga's death or her funeral, as Thor was).
-He had a discussion w/ Loki on the flying ship that he loved her just as much as Loki did, and that she wouldn't want them to fight.

What else should he have done to please people? Frazzle his hair and stomp on grapes, like Loki did?

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #92
Saturius
Side-Kick

^ Spoilers so don't read further if you have not seen the film

We needed to see more facial reaction shots to her death. They should have lingered on his and Odin's faces for much longer than they did. As it is we just see one quick burst of anger from Thor, and one short shot of Odin laying over her body. Then they immediately cut right to the funeral.

I don't know what you're talking about with the funeral scene though. He did not look sad at all. Sif looked sadder than he did. And Odin showed no emotion as well. Then later when he asks Odin to take Jane offworld to stop Malekith, there's no sense of real sadness or anger over her death either. He's way too calm when his emotions should be much more raw. I didn't think his reaction to Loki's death was that great either, but at least it looked like he was upset there.

Basically, we just needed more time devoted to it. Of course it also didn't help that he literally only shared about 6 lines with Frigga from both movies combined!

Last edited by Saturius; 11-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Saturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #93
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
A few people have mentioned here that they thought Thor didn't react appropriately to Frigga's death. What should he have done differently?

-He ran in and blasted Malekith in the face, and hurled Mjolnir at them until they got away and turned invisible.
-He mourned at Frigga's funeral. (Loki got his own reaction scene because he wasn't present at either Frigga's death or her funeral, as Thor was).
-He had a discussion w/ Loki on the flying ship that he loved her just as much as Loki did, and that she wouldn't want them to fight.

What else should he have done to please people? Frazzle his hair and stomp on grapes, like Loki did?
There was nothing wrong with how Frigga's death was handled. It was one of the longest sequences in the whole film. Beautiful to look at btw.

What's embarrassing were the early reviews on here acting like they blew over it in five seconds.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #94
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
^ Spoilers so don't read further if you have not seen the film

We needed to see more facial reaction shots to her death. They should have lingered on his and Odin's faces for much longer than they did. As it is we just see one quick burst of anger from Thor, and one short shot of Odin laying over her body. Then they immediately cut right to the funeral.

I don't know what you're talking about with the funeral scene though. He did not look sad at all. Sif looked sadder than he did. And Odin showed no emotion as well. Then later when he asks Odin to take Jane offworld to stop Malekith, there's no sense of real sadness or anger over her death either. He's way too calm when his emotions should be much more raw. I didn't think his reaction to Loki's death was that great either, but at least it looked like he was upset there.

Basically, we just needed more time devoted to it. Of course it also didn't help that he literally only shared about 6 lines with Frigga from both movies combined!
Well, Thor and Odin are warriors and nobility. They wouldn't be bawling, or rending their clothes, or anything like that, once their initial reaction is over. Humans in the Earth military are taught to compartmentalize their feelings so they can focus on the task at hand, so I'm sure gods of Asgard (the King and the Prince, no less), can do the same.

And there is time devoted to the aftermath of Frigga's death.

Either way, we can agree to disagree. Thanks for the thoughtful and snark-free response, Saturius. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
There was nothing wrong with how Frigga's death was handled. It was one of the longest sequences in the whole film. Beautiful to look at btw.

What's embarrassing were the early reviews on here acting like they blew over it in five seconds.
Thank you, Rock, this is how I feel too.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #95
MLSkinner
Side-Kick

Frigga's death and funeral were handled fine. Odin can't appear too saddened because he is KING! he must appear strong even at his weakest. I think some wanted brief interviews with each character on how her death effected them...even a Frigga week of mourning before moving on, after all it's not like a huge invisible spaceship wasn't hovering above the city. Lol

MLSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #96
Saturius
Side-Kick

Also I should clarify. Frigga's death is handled fine. When I say more time should be devoted to it I mainly just mean more in the form of reaction shots. Maybe pan to the faces and go slo mo or something so we witness the horror across their faces. I don't know. All I can tell you is that I just was not satisfied with how Thor reacted to it.

It needed to be more in the vein of how he reacted to Loki's death. Again, he was just too calm for my taste. I also think part of the problem was due to the 1st film's shortcomings that leaked into this one. These two barely have a relationship that we see in both movies, cause like I said, they really haven't spoken more than ten lines between each other across the two films. I'm sure that didn't help when it came to seeing the gravitas in Thor over it. So it's partially Branagh's fault.

Saturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #97
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post

Exactly, And Thor does show emotion during the funeral,I saw it more with the second viewing.
If you look closely he does have a very pained expression, but as the son of Odin and future King he must fight to maintain composure during the funeral ceremony.
Its expected from both he and Odin to look strong for the people regardless of their grief..
Its the Viking way....

Last edited by warriorking; 11-10-2013 at 04:52 PM.
warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #98
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:

Honestly, I have no clue. There was plenty of time devoted to it. If anything, I'd argue there was too much time devoted to it as we, the audience, simply had no investment in the character.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #99
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Th Biggrin Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:

For starters he could've shown some common Asgardian courtesy by wearing his 'ceremonial' helmet at a goddamn funeral.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #100
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
For starters he could've shown some common Asgardian courtesy by wearing his 'ceremonial' helmet at a goddamn funeral.
Go figure someone would try to work the helmet situation into this argument. LOL

It's like not wearing a hat in church when you're there for a funeral.