The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #101
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ruffahulk Ruffasmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoherentChaos View Post
Exactly and it would make Hulk into an underdog figure to go up against foes who would scoff at the idea of being challenged by by any being that hails from Earth, at least up until the point that he succeeds their expectations and collapses their face with his fist.

Which is sort of why I even entertained the idea of Annihilus. It'd be uncharted and unexpected territory for both Hulk and audiences. That being said, I think a mildly cerebral experience of getting into Bruce's head while pitting him against an "evil FF" would also be a brilliant, brilliant direction to take if the studio doesn't want him away from Earth yet.

How about a mix of The Crossroads mega arc (the post Hulk #300 stuff when Strange banishes Hulk to a place where he travels to various dimensions and worlds) and Planet Hulk?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #102
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Crossroads is godly

Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #103
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Crossroads is godly

I think it's very underrated. They certainly went to the edge of what a regular reader would have expected of a Hulk story. In truncated form I could see a film that starts in an episodic manner, with Banner/Hulk trying to survive on the Crossroads plane and then the last half being a shortened/simplified version of Planet Hulk.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #104
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
There are loads of opponents in the Hulk mythos that can be used for a showdown with ole Jade Jaws before we HAVE to get to Rulk. The Cube episodes of EMH showcase a ton of Hulk baddies that in a team up or in solo outings could be used to thrash the Hulk.
Unless each member of the team is Hulk's equal, it's hard to make Hulk look like an underdog against a squad that he could easily pound one by one. It's not just about 'anyone but Rulk' it's about who can bring the most drama and conflict to the Hulk's life.

Quote:
Perhaps a revamped Abomination, or introduce Leader's brother Madman?
U-FOES?
An army of Humanoids?

Or my own admittedly crazy as hell idea, Annihilus (in a story that brings Bruce to a cosmic forefront, whether or not he and the Other Guy are prepared for that sort of thing).

Basically anything but a Hulk repaint please.
Isn't Madman a Hulk repaint, essentially? Moreso than Ross, even. I imagine experimenting on Philip would come before putting the perfect version on Ross in the proverbial Leader-Rulk teamup film, which would follow naturally from TIH story-wise.

The U-Foes are interesting, Hulk going against varied types of powers is cool. They have potential, but they're also incredibly expensive to bring to screen, even moreso than the Fantastic Four, because you have three fully CGI figures on the screen at once. Also you'd have to make them personal, which could be a feat for characters whose motivations are traditionally unexplored, and they don't at all continue the story from TIH. Of course, that may be the goal, to make a clean break from that and those characters. All I would say is, that if you do use those, give them significant power ups. They'd basically need to be as mighty as the Avengers. For extra yuks, cast Ioan Gruffud as Vector, Jessica Alba as Vapor, and Michael Chilis as Ironclad.

Regardless, they definitely need to bring in the Hulk mind stuff. I think the EMH cartoon did it really well with mirrors, I think that works better cinematically and metaphorically than introducing some sort of mindscape.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #105
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Madman as I recall has a least some shapeshifting ability. Sort of what Ironclad has going on with density manipulation, but also the ability to grow or shrink.

As for the U-Foes, they may have to be heavily adapted for movie use. Honestly, I don't see them even going down the emulation of Fantastic Four path. Is Simon still power hungry? Of course, why not. But they might as well substitute cosmic rays with gamma mutations. Maybe they're mercenaries hired and experimented on by the Leader? Maybe Simon becomes a business partner of sorts to Leader and negotiates for some of that sweet sweet product for him and his associates?

But yeah, since there's so little on their actual personalities, I'd be all for a serious revamp of their origin.

CoherentChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #106
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I don't feel that the U-Foes need any power boosting. As stated before, Vector was once shown blowing the flesh right off of Hulk, leaving him a barely held together mass of skinless thin muscles over his skeleton. The rest are also pretty impressive and in both use of powers and visually are a potential real treat to see live action. The wanna be FF thing would need a revamp too for obvious reasons. That being said, a rich politician that latches onto Bruce Banner, perhaps dangling a cure or convincing him that he could find some ways similar to the Avengers of using the Hulk as a force for good in the world could also work. Of course he really just needs Banner's expertise to finish his "PROJECT: U-FOES".

Using a team against Hulk has it's advantages since most CBM's have one on one villain finales, or team up 2-3 solo villains over the course of a film's runtime to thwart our hero. But I don't think a full on team of villains versus one hero has been done. Overcoming the U-Foes would be good for the Hulk on film. It would change up the expectations of the last 20 minutes of the film just being another over blown wrasslin match.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #107
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

They could tie the U-Foes origin into the Infinity Gems some how.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #108
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Madman as I recall has a least some shapeshifting ability. Sort of what Ironclad has going on with density manipulation, but also the ability to grow or shrink.

As for the U-Foes, they may have to be heavily adapted for movie use. Honestly, I don't see them even going down the emulation of Fantastic Four path. Is Simon still power hungry? Of course, why not. But they might as well substitute cosmic rays with gamma mutations. Maybe they're mercenaries hired and experimented on by the Leader? Maybe Simon becomes a business partner of sorts to Leader and negotiates for some of that sweet sweet product for him and his associates?

But yeah, since there's so little on their actual personalities, I'd be all for a serious revamp of their origin.
Red Hulk has additional powers to Hulk, and an entirely different skillset, but yeah, there's a blank slateishness there in the U-FOES, which can be good and bad. It means the truth is they're just there for their powers, and that can make for shallowness unless someone is incredibly creative with the story.

I really can't overstate how expensive it is to have four CGI characters onscreen at once in a live action movie. If you thought the Abomination fight was short... sheesh.

The origin doesn't need too too much. Vector hires Banner to help cure the Hulk, they bond over science, Banner AND Hulk feel accepted. Turns out it's really just to get the Gamma secret. Having Amadeus Cho and/or Kate Waynsboro involved might be nice too. It goes badly, the U-FOES are powered up, Hulk saves them, they hate him for doing it. (That's the problem with team villains, in order to unite them they become less deep/interchangeable). Vector would be the true villain, and the others would, essentially, be named henchmen ala The Brotherhood in X-Men. Vapor might get some slightly significant development. The U-Foes end up chasing him all over the country/world. He meets Rick Jones who helps him out, as well as his cousin Jennifer Walters, whom he helps out. Hulk fights the U-Foes one, then two, then finally four at a time. It must be established that any one of them can defeat the Hulk, so that having all four of them together represents an extreme challenge.

And he defeats them with science, with the help of Banner. Only by becoming a team can he defeat a team. Sounds like fun. The supporting cast: Cho, Waynesboro, Jones and Walters is very sound, very much from the comics and it gives Ruffahulk his own playground without deferring to Norton's Hulk at all. Very nice. It has potential. We won't see "much" of the U-Foes in action, but that's okay, I think.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #109
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

I think Vapor and X-Ray may actually be relatively cheap considering it's mostly a special effects thing. One is constantly glowing, and one just needs an artist who specializes in smoke effects. The extensive CG animating with muscle simulation and very precise lighting (lighting can really make or break the realism but is coincidentally perhaps the most tedious part of post production) can be saved for Iron Clad and the Hulk himself.

Vector can probably go without a physical transformation, instead focusing on his matter repelling ability which could basically play out with Chronicle type effects.

Overall, I don't think the U-FOES would necessarily be that expensive. Especially if you happen to give them the ability to switch off those powers, which may be a side effect of their reinvention for movie adaption.

Rick Jones would be a very welcome addition to the MCU, but frankly I'd rather have Betty come back, and flesh out her character before we introduce Walters. Hell, I'd really like for She Hulk to get her own show instead of being a supporting role next to her cousin. It'd be like Law and Order but with super heroes.

The other's I'm not too sure of. Not that familiar with the material I'm afraid, or maybe I'm not caught up. From what I take, Cho would make a good sidekick character, but so would Jones so it might get redundant. Save one to be Walter's side kick lol.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #110
Anubis
Sup?

Or you could just have them turning into their powered forms throughout the movie until the big fight at the end where they're all....you know.....U-Foed out.

You can get by with general make up techniques and a few extra glow lights or whatevs added in post until you get to the big finale.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #111
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Can't wait to see what Hulk does in Ultron, and I sincerely hope that he gets a great solo outing in phase 3 as well.

It's been too long since we saw any faces from his world, where are Betty and the general? And no more recasting please.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #112
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Sad to say, but I expect recasts for Hulk's supporting characters.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #113
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Not really sad at all; most of his supporting cast from TIH was blah.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #114
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Not really sad at all; most of his supporting cast from TIH was blah.
Maybe but they where better than Hulk 2003's cast.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #115
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

I implore you to fix that post, Ross & Betty in Ang's Hulk (and Bruce too) were a billion times better and had much more to not only do, but gave great performances.

Missing you, Heath
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #116
Hulk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Can't wait to see what Hulk does in Ultron, and I sincerely hope that he gets a great solo outing in phase 3 as well.

It's been too long since we saw any faces from his world, where are Betty and the general? And no more recasting please.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
I implore you to fix that post, Ross & Betty in Ang's Hulk (and Bruce too) were a billion times better and had much more to not only do, but gave great performances.
Oh, I agree with you.

Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #117
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Maybe but they where better than Hulk 2003's cast.
Gonna have to disagree there. Sam Elliot was an amazing General Ross, far better than the cardboard cliche in TIH. Jennifer Connelly was a more charismatic Betty Ross. Nick Nolte was a much more compelling villain than "want more drugs."

Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #118
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Give the supporting characters more to do in a sequel and I think a lot of you may change your tune. TIH cast was pretty amazing, just underutilized across the board.

Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #119
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

If you give them enough to do like in Hulk 03, then yeah I will, until then, I stand by what I said.

Missing you, Heath
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #120
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Random thought, but does anyone think Bi Beast..

this ugly mug,

could ever work in a live action adaption? Maybe as part of the Leader's gamma mutant sideshow/army?

I think it'd be interesting, but would always be teetering on the edge of extremely too goofy.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #121
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Maybe, but the name would *have* to go.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #122
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Agreed.

Now, the more and more I think about it, I think U Foes would be the best next antagonist for the Hulk. As much as we want to see Leader, I think it would be best to save him for the third film (god willing that we get it, but if Hulk's next solo outing is successful then it's likely). Maybe he's Simon's secret benefactor. And thanks to some sabotage and deception, no one really knows that he's actually escaped from SHIELD custody.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #123
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I want to see the gray Hulk! I want to see this! I want to see an angrier, smarter Hulk. I want to see the Gray Hulk, and I want to see more of the angrier, smart-alec personality that went along with it.

Maybe Banner turns into the regular Hulk on most occasions, but during the Full Moon, there's a quirk to the mutation that only allows the Gray Hulk to come out. Hmm...

Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-01-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #124
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Gonna have to disagree there. Sam Elliot was an amazing General Ross, far better than the cardboard cliche in TIH. Jennifer Connelly was a more charismatic Betty Ross. Nick Nolte was a much more compelling villain than "want more drugs."
I agree about Elliot and Connolly being better than Hurt and Tyler. However, Tim Roth was definitely a better villain than Nolte, at least to me.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #125
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I agree about Elliot and Connolly being better than Hurt and Tyler. However, Tim Roth was definitely a better villain than Nolte, at least to me.
Roth is a good actor, certainly, but his character was less than 2D. At least Nolte tied into the character arcs of both Ross and Banner, in ways that mattered.