The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #976
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

I think that there's still a lot that can be done with the current and past casts that I would be disappointed if they rebooted so soon. I'm not opposed to the idea though, just not now. They have a good thing going with DOFP, I hope they keep it going with more films from both casts.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #977
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If the rumoured ending is true, don't you think people aren't gonna be interested to know what happens next to Professor X, Magneto, resurrected Jean/Cyclops, Storm, Shadowcat, Rogue, etc... Of course they would want to know.

I'm telling you right now a X-Men 5 movie is gonna more beneficial than a First Class 3 movie. With First Class 3 movie, its not guaranteed for a 500 million gross worldwide, but X5 is guaranteed for a 500 million gross worldwide.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #978
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I remain skeptical of using the OT cast If all their films are being erased.The possable leaked ending just screams to me a trek 2009 situation where they contunue on with FC cast and Ignore events of Non-FC films

Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #979
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

If the rumored ending is true, then I won't care what happens to those characters anymore because the creative minds behind this film will have proven that they give absolutely no legitimacy to the consequences of the events of the storyline, and have completely thrown my emotional investment into these characters into the trash.

I will have no more attachment to these characters, as the journey that I went on with them will no longer exist in the continuity. These won't be the same characters anymore. If the rumored ending is true, then no events going forward will matter anymore because these people will no longer have a history.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #980
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

If the stories are there, then I see no reason why they can't continue with films for both timelines. First Class may not have been a massive box-office success, but a third film would likely have a nice bounce because of DOFP, especially since that timeline gets most of the screen time.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #981
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hmm the way I see it, if some films are "erased", that would give them a chance to tell new stories and have a fresh start in this altered future yet still keeping familiar faces.

I find it hard to believe that they want to have this fresh start in the past and we know those characters will just end up as the characters that we will see in the altered future.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #982
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I don't know if I would boycott an X-Men reboot, just because I'm enough of an X-Men fan to watch it.

But I probably won't sit on the Hype anticipating it, or make huge plans for a midnight showing or anything else. The day X-Men reboots is the day I stop having an emotional investment in the series, as it will be obvious that the series will no longer be treated with credibility.
No longer treated with credibility?? You say "the day X-men reboots" not "if it reboots in the near future". So basically if they reboot 10 years from now the series will no longer have any credibility?

This is what I'm talking about with certain fans only thinking the current actors can play these characters and no one else. I guess we should just not worry about them bringing someone like Halle Berry back when she's in her 60s right?

Some fans need to realize that these films haven't been perfect, especially the portrayals of the characters and they can improve on this with future films. I think it's foolish to only want the current cast to play those specific characters. I guess when those actors are finally done, Fox should just retire using "their" character in future movies from then on.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #983
josh8
Side-Kick

Whatever the plans for the current continuity, the franchise will have to be rebooted eventually and I am all for it. We're living in a literal comic book movie renaissance. Comic book movies have won over audiences and as much as I love (some of) the X-movies, the franchise was the pioneer that had to hold itself back in order for future comic book movies to thrive. The X-Men deserve a chance to have a fresh start after paving the way.

I would love to see a reboot start with Xavier and the original five X-men. We could see them learning to be a team and also start dabbling in superhero-land on their way to infamy... hated and feared but also, you know, actually known to the world.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #984
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Hmm the way I see it, if some films are "erased", that would give them a chance to tell new stories and have a fresh start in this altered future yet still keeping familiar faces.

I find it hard to believe that they want to have this fresh start in the past and we know those characters will just end up as the characters that we will see in the altered future.
Problem is those familiar faces are too old or will be too old soon enough. It wouldn't be a start. It would be the beginning of the end if not a one and done true end.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #985
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I would be shocked if this franchise isn't totally rebooted in the next 2-5 years. Honestly. This cast is going away guys. I just have a feeling that DoFP is going to rock this entire series in a way to tell more stories about these same characters, but in a different time frame and with new actors.

C'mon. It's time for Christ's sake.
It's difficult to know what they will do. They already have a great set of younger actors in place, so there's no need to totally reboot from scratch as it stands. McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence and Hoult are too good to throw away. On top of the OT cast and FC cast, I really can't see a third set of actors coming into these roles. At least not without a long, long gap to create some distance between the movies.

Most of the OT cast still look good. An older Wolverine is fine, and Halle's still in great shape. So are Janssen and Marsden. They could get another trilogy out of them yet if they wanted. Or they could focus on the FC era and bring in Scott, Jean, Storm. Or both, I guess. Actor contracts/availability will be a factor here.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #986
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Some fans need to realize that these films haven't been perfect, especially the portrayals of the characters and they can improve on this with future films. I think it's foolish to only want the current cast to play those specific characters. I guess when those actors are finally done, Fox should just retire using "their" character in future movies from then on.
Unlike with other franchises, pretty much everyone here acknowledges the mistakes made with these movies.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #987
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
No longer treated with credibility?? You say "the day X-men reboots" not "if it reboots in the near future". So basically if they reboot 10 years from now the series will no longer have any credibility?

This is what I'm talking about with certain fans only thinking the current actors can play these characters and no one else. I guess we should just not worry about them bringing someone like Halle Berry back when she's in her 60s right?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - in 10 years time when this current franchise is finished, we don't -need- a reboot. The stories have already been told. We don't need a rehash.

RoboCop is way more than 10 years old, and this reboot is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen.

Hollywood needs to quit thinking that reboots "have" to happen, and start looking into new ideas instead of rehashing the same thing over and over and over again.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #988
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's difficult to know what they will do. They already have a great set of younger actors in place, so there's no need to totally reboot from scratch as it stands. McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence and Hoult are too good to throw away. On top of the OT cast and FC cast, I really can't see a third set of actors coming into these roles. At least not without a long, long gap to create some distance between the movies.

Most of the OT cast still look good. An older Wolverine is fine, and Halle's still in great shape. So are Janssen and Marsden. They could get another trilogy out of them yet if they wanted. Or they could focus on the FC era and bring in Scott, Jean, Storm. Or both, I guess. Actor contracts/availability will be a factor here.
Well, that is probably inevitable. With the popularity of the FC actors right now, it's difficult to see them returning for another multi-picture deal. Signing the FC crew to another 3 picture deal (once they get a bit older) is just as unlikely as bringing back the OT for another 1-2 pictures. That's not to say it can't be done, but I'd say it's unlikely, since this franchise is not as popular as a Harry Potter or Avengers and does not bring in that type of box office. The FC actors are talented and will want to branch out, and it may be better to give them a break before coming back to X-Men.

But I don't want the new director to come in with his hands tied to any previous continuity. He/She should be able to do his own thing with the franchise. I think the rumored ending provides the opportunity to do that. Maybe the director of the reboot would adhere to certain timeline constraints, such as not having Magneto/Xavier doing battle in the year 2050, given their WWII origins. Or not having Iceman as an original X-Men given his age in the OT. These are continuity issues that may be kept consistent, retconned, or thrown out the window all together.

I do believe that Fox needs to exhaust every opportunity to get Singer and the OT back, but only if the interest is mutual for all parties involved, and the eagerness and enthusiasm is there. And it has to be for at least two movies or one production shot back to back. I'd have to be a LotR style production that could incorporate both the FC and the OT with Singer producing or helming all the films. Since I give that scenario a prayer's chance, I just see Donner just laying low with the franchise until Fox has no choice but to reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
Where might one be able to read this spoiler?
BAMF can reword this if I'm wrong, but I'm triple tagging this:

The mutant army (Havoc and Co.) is framed by the US government for whatever reason, and this initiates the Sentinel program or something along those lines

Last edited by Mr.M; 11-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #989
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i can see more shots of jennifer lawrence out of the mystique make up in the next trailer just incase no one recognises her as mystique

Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #990
BMM
Side-Kick

There will be a reboot. It's not a question of if but when, as the cast simply won't last forever. I don't think Days of Future Past is going to tie into that reboot, though--not while Fox is still intent on developing Wolverine spin-offs.

That said, I look forward to the reboot simply because of the scale and variety the X-Men universe offers, unlike other franchises. X-Men isn't like Total Recall--a film based on one storyline. It isn't like Star Trek or Terminator--storylines that originated on the big and small screens where they have already been told in their entirety. It isn't like Batman or Spider-Man, where the storyline is limited to the experiences and perspective of one hero. And it isn't limited to Bryan Singer's universe, which is divergent enough from the source material that a reboot doesn't have to be a total rehash.

Last edited by BMM; 11-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #991
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
If the rumored ending is true, then I won't care what happens to those characters anymore because the creative minds behind this film will have proven that they give absolutely no legitimacy to the consequences of the events of the storyline, and have completely thrown my emotional investment into these characters into the trash.

I will have no more attachment to these characters, as the journey that I went on with them will no longer exist in the continuity. These won't be the same characters anymore. If the rumored ending is true, then no events going forward will matter anymore because these people will no longer have a history.
You're just not thinking fourth dimensionally. Of course everything they did matters, the dark future is the END point in that series. Everything that happens in DOFP is directly because of the OT. How much further can you take that timeline? X-Men has strong roots in time travel stories. We haven't seen dofp so we dunno how good it is but I hardly doubt the writing is worse than X3 with both Vaughn and Singer involved.

I bet some characters will still remember the OT...so whats the big deal? The continuity still exists...you can still rewatch the OT because it exists as part of a larger arc that finally gets resolved here.

if you watch Back to the future, do you think the first twenty minutes are pointless because history changes at the end? No, its part of the journey.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #992
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

But I've said it a thousand times if I've said it once - the comic Days of Future Past did NOT reboot the comic continuity so there's no reason for the movie to do it.

The past movies WILL be pointless when they try to make more sequels featuring the main trilogy cast and their entire journey to that point has been erased, thus building off of a broken non existent continuity. Why should I care about those characters when all the emotional investment I spent on them is no longer part of the continuity?

Such a wipe shows that the film makers don't care about me as a viewer and the emotional journey and investment I had with these characters

Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #993
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - in 10 years time when this current franchise is finished, we don't -need- a reboot. The stories have already been told. We don't need a rehash.

RoboCop is way more than 10 years old, and this reboot is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen.

Hollywood needs to quit thinking that reboots "have" to happen, and start looking into new ideas instead of rehashing the same thing over and over and over again.
I guess we're not on the same page in regards to "reboot". When I say reboot, I'm not talking about redoing the Stryker story in X-men 2, or even the same Magneto plan in X1 where he wants to change all the world leaders into mutants. I'm talking about all new stories, whether they're taken from the comics or fresh ideas that future writers might come up with. As an example, if they don't make a film based on say, Mutant Massacre or X-Cutioner's Song with the current cast, you're saying they just shouldn't touch those stories way down the line with a new cast?

Basically, once again, you're saying that after the current cast is done with these films they shouldn't make anymore X-men films...ever. That is incredibly close minded thinking that only these current actors should ever play these famous X-men characters and that no other actors could do a better job.

I don't get why some of you are that obsessed with the OT cast. A lot of them did great jobs, some not so much(Halle and Paquin come to mind, both were miscast). There is room for improvement and new stories as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should reboot in the next 5 years, they should wait a lot longer than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Unlike with other franchises, pretty much everyone here acknowledges the mistakes made with these movies.
That's a bit unfair and biased to say "unlike with other franchises". I've seen numerous people complain about the Spider-Man franchise, Raimi and Webb versions. As well as a number of Marvel Studio films, especially IM2, Thor and now Thor 2. Whoops, forgot about IM3.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #994
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

For those arguing that, should the ending-that-shall-not-be-mentioned be true, it makes the original trilogy/TW irrelevant, you're wrong. It's the events in those movies that brought us to the future of DoFP. Just because that potential ending might create a new timeline doesn't mean past films are "wiped away" - you just watch DoFP last. And there was very little character development for any characters aside from Wolverine, Xavier and Magneto in the OT, so we really wouldn't lose much for the other characters. And you'd still know and love/hate them in an OT sequel because they'd likely be exactly the same. Except for Rogue. She might actually be a badass. And Scott might actually be a character.

You've made clear your supposed hatred for drama here through your countless meltdowns, yet, on the other hand, it seems your favorite forum past-time is being the most dramatic two-faced person here. Pick up some Prozac, a real hobby and a life.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #995
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
You're just not thinking fourth dimensionally. Of course everything they did matters, the dark future is the END point in that series. Everything that happens in DOFP is directly because of the OT. How much further can you take that timeline? X-Men has strong roots in time travel stories. We haven't seen dofp so we dunno how good it is but I hardly doubt the writing is worse than X3 with both Vaughn and Singer involved.

I bet some characters will still remember the OT...so whats the big deal? The continuity still exists...you can still rewatch the OT because it exists as part of a larger arc that finally gets resolved here.

if you watch Back to the future, do you think the first twenty minutes are pointless because history changes at the end? No, its part of the journey.
Your saying you want DOFP to be end of series

If that's true it doesn't matter what quality is or what It does at box office

You know there Is this thing called recasting which keep Bond films going 40
years and that MS used with james Rhodes,Bruce Banner,and one of warrior
three.

As for rumored ending
If true when wolverine wakes up at end he has no memory of past timeline Xavier and Magneto remember what they were told of future In 1973

X-men should not be turned Into avengers lite.Things like the shiar and Mojo should be keep far away from X-Men films.

DOFP hasn't opened yet but majority here are salvating too much for reboot.
Why bother with DOFP If you want all films treated like they never happened
which a reboot does
A trek 2009 situation at end as rumored ending hints at keeps first class and 1973 parts of DOFP and possibly pre 1973 parts of wolverine films

Now before some start with saying oh he just bashes MS again.I never attacked people for liking that I said I don't want X-Men turned Into copy
of avengers.I am Star Wars fan but don't like Star Trek turned Into Star
Wars lite.I want ailens keep out of X-Men films.Those kind of stories lose the
heart of X-Men.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #996
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
X-men should not be turned Into avengers lite.Things like the shiar and Mojo should be keep far away from X-Men films.
If they decide to never use any characters from space and other dimensions, they are going to run out of ideas fast.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #997
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Unless Singer and Vaughn are completely eradicated from the series, I don't foresee space or cloning anytime soon. If any of those types of characters are included - like the Shi'ar - they'll likely go along the lines of the Ultimate route; mutants or humans.

You've made clear your supposed hatred for drama here through your countless meltdowns, yet, on the other hand, it seems your favorite forum past-time is being the most dramatic two-faced person here. Pick up some Prozac, a real hobby and a life.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #998
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
For those arguing that, should the ending-that-shall-not-be-mentioned be true, it makes the original trilogy/TW irrelevant, you're wrong. It's the events in those movies that brought us to the future of DoFP. Just because that potential ending might create a new timeline doesn't mean past films are "wiped away" - you just watch DoFP last. And there was very little character development for any characters aside from Wolverine, Xavier and Magneto in the OT, so we really wouldn't lose much for the other characters. And you'd still know and love/hate them in an OT sequel because they'd likely be exactly the same. Except for Rogue. She might actually be a badass. And Scott might actually be a character.
I disagree.If none of history we saw In other films happened then how can they be relvent.Wolverine waking up at end of film with no memory of events from trilogy and The Wolverine It basicly erased those films.This Is screaming a Trek situation where the main action of series will be In FC sequels.And they can then ignore everything from non-FC films.what amkes anyone think Cyclops would be a focus.Magneto never being villain of OT could turn him Into new wolverine of series.Again Rogue can't ever get the MS marvel powers since MS marvel Is an Avengers character.I am very skeptical after this ending of seeing any OT actors except Hugh Jackman.Once you erase everything from Trilogy and most from wolverine films the GA has no point of reference anymore for them.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #999
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
If they decide to never use any characters from space and other dimensions, they are going to run out of ideas fast.
If you completly reboot X-Men you would have

Various versions of brotherhood
Hellfire club
Apocalypse
Sinister
Sentinles

Most series nowadays only goes 3 films so that's plenty.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #1000
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

I was 4 in 1978, when Superman: The Movie first came out. My dad, who grew up with Superman comics and the TV series with George Reeves, happily took me to see it. He didn't think "those stories have already been told" and refused to see the new version. Or told me to only watch *his* version of Superman (which was on reruns on weekday afternoons).

Hell no. He happily took me to the new Superman and we loved it (my mom loved it too). He even bought me the program. And gladly took us to the sequel a few years later.

Although we had the good sense to quit after that...we saw Superman Returns and Man of Steel during their respective releases. Like my dad in 1978, I was ready for Superman to come back. I want my nephews to enjoy Superman as much as we did as kids.

Superman is bigger than one TV show, or movie series. As long as there are stories to tell and people to tell them right, they should continue.

Same goes with X-Men. You do a terrible disservice to that wealth of storytelling if you call it quits after one movie series.