The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #26
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,402
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did.

The same goes for all the rest of you who probably don't know much about film making, and refuse to listen to the legitimate opinions of those who do. Yeah go ahead and say I'm attacking you, if my words offend you, then you're just telling me I struck a nerve and that I am right because if you don't see my logic I wouldn't be bothering you at all.
I'm not here to debate your opinion or the points and observations you made in the long version of this post.....I'm here to say that YOUR opinion is no better or worse than anyone elses opinion. It's an opinion.

When you say that the people who have a different opinion than you do are less intelligent than you and don't have the comprehension ability than you do....you are being rude and condescending. If you want to go around feeling superior and smug....find some place else to post.

C. Lee is offline  
Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,402
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynold View Post
Yeah, I love those videos, can't wait for his third one. It's sad though that's not what we actually got. Also, people are entitled to their own opinions but the prequels are garbage and that's a fact.
I suggest you take time and learn the meaning of the words OPINION and FACT.

C. Lee is offline  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power
 
TheDreamMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mandalore
Posts: 3,826
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I'm not here to debate your opinion or the points and observations you made in the long version of this post.....I'm here to say that YOUR opinion is no better or worse than anyone elses opinion. It's an opinion.

When you say that the people who have a different opinion than you do are less intelligent than you and don't have the comprehension ability than you do....you are being rude and condescending. If you want to go around feeling superior and smug....find some place else to post.
C.Lee, I thank you for pointing this out. I wish people learned about opinions, because I had to hold my tongue quite a bit on my reply to that guy.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Not the Hype's only Juggalo, but probably one of the few to be pretty vocal about it. Doesn't mean I don't like some of the same stuff you do though, so deal with it.
TheDreamMaster is offline  
Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,623
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

I've learned from personal experience that the Prequels are more universally appreciated amongst Star Wars fans and the general public than their critical rating and the in-fandom perception about them would indicate. Those within the SW fandom who hate the Prequels are actually in the minority, although it seems like they're in the majority because of how loudly they protest and proclaim their immense (and irrational) hatred of the movies.

I attended a panel at the Salt Lake Comic-Con devoted to appreciating and discussing the Prequels, and although it wasn't as full as some of the other panels I attended, it was by no means sparsely attended either.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick
 
The_Manhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 593
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.

The_Manhunter is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
Wow, this is possibly one of the most elitist posts I've ever seen on the Hype. Its all a matter of opinion on what is good or not, and a lot of us love the prequels and consider them good films. And considering you +969
essentially call us stupid for enjoying them and taking them seriously in the overall saga, I cannot even begin to accept any of your other criticisms. I know a couple doctors who love the prequels, does that mean they aren't intelligent enough?

Best advice I can give overall, if you don't like them, pretend they don't exist. Don't waste your time complaining how you wasted your time on movies you hated, or how George Lucas raped your childhood characters. No one is making anyone watch these, so I'd prefer if so many people tried to stop forcing people like me and Gianakin to suddenly stop liking these films and fall to our knees and scream to the heavens how wrong we've been. Maybe Episode VII will bring this fandom back together, but honestly I think I'd rather see JJ screw it up so badly the prequels might looking appealing to the rest of you.
I just find it ridiculously closed minded when people who love these movies refuse to listen to the criticism of it. Personally I love Iron Man 3, but I can see how criticism over the missed opportunity with the Mandarin is very valid. Everyone that just posted "The thing is I already have my good prequels" isn't contributing anything to the discussion. It's like if a high priest walked into a demonstration on the big bang and natural selection just so he could say "The thing is I already have my good explanation" and leave. It becomes rude and makes everyone wonder why they came in the first place if they weren't going to hear the other side out?

There's some extremely closed minded people out there on the anti-prequel side as well, all of the people who hate their very existence for example, that's not a good thing either. People like me would respect you and Gianakin if you actually heard out the criticism. Hell George Lucas not hearing out the criticism is largely why we don't like those movies in the first place.

BenKenobi is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #32
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've learned from personal experience that the Prequels are more universally appreciated amongst Star Wars fans and the general public than their critical rating and the in-fandom perception about them would indicate. Those within the SW fandom who hate the Prequels are actually in the minority, although it seems like they're in the majority because of how loudly they protest and proclaim their immense (and irrational) hatred of the movies.

I attended a panel at the Salt Lake Comic-Con devoted to appreciating and discussing the Prequels, and although it wasn't as full as some of the other panels I attended, it was by no means sparsely attended either.
Maybe that's your personal experience but I know MANY people who were turned off from the franchise because they were introduced by the prequels. If there's no numbers then you can't say that it's a minority anymore than I can say people who dislike the prequels are the majority. A panel at a comic-con isn't going to draw out the general audience. If you asked someone at comic con the origin of Iron Man in 2004 most of them could tell you, while if you went around on the streets not very many would be able to do the same.

From my experience the general public doesn't have a hatred of the prequels, but they don't have a love for them either. It's more of an indifference. Given the lack of submersion into pop culture (besides parodies of the disappointment) they haven't really had a big significance.

BenKenobi is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #33
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,623
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

I've been a member of TheForce.Net Jedi Council Forums - under various usernames - since before Attack of the Clones came out, and experienced first-hand the vitriol leveled against that film, TPM, and subsequently RotS, and can tell you that although it seemed otherwise, the actual number of people who were spewing said vitriol was an incredibly small percentage of the total membership of those boards.

I also had a number of friends - back in the days when the Prequels were new - who were by no means Star Wars fanatics who enjoyed the PT.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #34
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
There's some extremely closed minded people out there on the anti-prequel side as well, all of the people who hate their very existence for example, that's not a good thing either. People like me would respect you and Gianakin if you actually heard out the criticism. Hell George Lucas not hearing out the criticism is largely why we don't like those movies in the first place.
This forum was created last year. I've been having SW talks since before 1999, I've been having OT vs PT arguments for a long time. Just like Solidus, you, TheDreamMaster and pretty much everyone here. So we know all the criticisms and merits of all the movies inside out, we're SW geeks after all. Believe me, there's no way most of us here haven't "heard out the criticisms". What it's called is... wait for it... disagreeing! GASP! What a novel concept!

So, when some guy comes in with the same anti-PT arguments (and us with the same pro-PT arguments, of course) and an attitude like yours, being rude, being absolute and the only thing you have to say against PT defenders here is "You people don't listen to my arguments"... well, there's a problem.

You go back and read all the posts in this thread - CAREFULLY. And see which people in here have been so insulting, they've been calling others ouright inferior. You'll find yourself among them. And you dare talk to other posters here about close-mindedness? It's none of your god damn business to "correct" any PT lover, or mine to convert any PT hater. Believe me, we don't want your respect, we want your civility so that we can have a proper conversation to pass the time in a somewhat pleasant manner here.

There are more than one people that have told you to knock it off, not because of your opinion, because of your behavior. A mod has told you what I'm saying, so take the hint.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #35
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
This forum was created last year. I've been having SW talks since before 1999, I've been having OT vs PT arguments for a long time. Just like Solidus, you, TheDreamMaster and pretty much everyone here. So we know all the criticisms and merits of all the movies inside out, we're SW geeks after all. Believe me, there's no way most of us here haven't "heard out the criticisms". What it's called is... wait for it... disagreeing! GASP! What a novel concept!

So, when some guy comes in with the same anti-PT arguments (and us with the same pro-PT arguments, of course) and an attitude like yours, being rude, being absolute and the only thing you have to say against PT defenders here is "You people don't listen to my arguments"... well, there's a problem.

You go back and read all the posts in this thread - CAREFULLY. And see which people in here have been so insulting, they've been calling others ouright inferior. You'll find yourself among them. And you dare talk to other posters here about close-mindedness? It's none of your god damn business to "correct" any PT lover, or mine to convert any PT hater. Believe me, we don't want your respect, we want your civility so that we can have a proper conversation to pass the time in a somewhat pleasant manner here.

There are more than one people that have told you to knock it off, not because of your opinion, because of your behavior. A mod has told you what I'm saying, so take the hint.
Oh please you chose to prod the flames after like 3 months. I wouldn't even be on here if Thor 2 didn't make me want to catch up with my movie rumors. Sure I was going through a stressful time and had a lot of elitist influence over the summer. Was it right for me to be insulting in my post? no. Did it further my point? probably not no. However when someone posts a link to reasonably popular video describing what they would have wanted their prequels to be, do you think they wanted a bunch of people to ignore their content they shared and reply "I already have my good prequels?". No that's closed minded, if you want to praise the prequels go talk about them on the pro/anti prequel thread. If you want to "pass time" on this thread then at minimum talk about the content, if you choose to explain your stance why you feel your "good prequels" are superior then go for it, but otherwise yes it's very closed minded and rude.

BenKenobi is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

But I wasn't rude to the original poster. I said nothing personal towards anyone who doesn't like the Prequels, and I have given tons and tons of reasons why I love the PT over the months since the forum was created, so I just gave a short answer to the question that was the thread title (which was a bit absolute and provocative, if you ask me). I just don't like being repetitive. And who told you I hadn't already watched the video the OP posted (which, btw, is a nice vid, but it already recycles the usual anti-PT arguments I mentioned in my previous post)? That rules out rude.

As for close-minded, I hang out with PT haters all the time and we get along just fine and I respect and understand their stance on the matter. That rules out close-minded, so there you go.

And I replied after 3 months 'cause that's when I saw your post, since your attitude had already made me put you on my ignore list. Somene quoted you, I saw my name in your post, so I replied. Simple as that.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #37
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,402
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Oh please you chose to prod the flames after like 3 months.
Let's check the timeline in here.

08/21/13 - this thread is started.
08/26/13 - after 5 days of discussion, the talk ends.
09/25/13 - 30 days later you bump the thread with a shot at two posters who don't share your opinion. In other words...YOU chose to prod the flames after a month of no discussion. And I will now remind you, it was a post that took a shot at people who had not taken shots at you.
11/07/13 - Gianakin responds to YOUR post. He responded 41 days after you took a shot at him, but 1 day after the last post in the thread. So....he did not choose to prod the flames after 3 months....he chose to respond to an unwarranted and rude post by YOU attacking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
if you want to praise the prequels go talk about them on the pro/anti prequel thread. If you want to "pass time" on this thread then at minimum talk about the content, if you choose to explain your stance why you feel your "good prequels" are superior then go for it, but otherwise yes it's very closed minded and rude.
This thread is for discussion about the prequels. It is not for discussion about the prequels ONLY IF YOU LOVE THEM. It is not for discussion about the prequels ONLY IF YOU HATE THEM. The thread starter created it under the concept of "WHAT IF THE PREQUELS WERE GOOD?"....but that does not mean that the people who think the prequels are already good are not allowed to post that in here. And....as a matter of fact....the people who posted that they thought the prequels were good did not insult the people who did not share their opinion...unlike the people who posted in here who did not like the prequels, who went out of their way to insult the people who did not share their opinion. So....you figure out which ones were really being rude.

C. Lee is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Let's check the timeline in here.

08/21/13 - this thread is started.
08/26/13 - after 5 days of discussion, the talk ends.
09/25/13 - 30 days later you bump the thread with a shot at two posters who don't share your opinion. In other words...YOU chose to prod the flames after a month of no discussion. And I will now remind you, it was a post that took a shot at people who had not taken shots at you.
11/07/13 - Gianakin responds to YOUR post. He responded 41 days after you took a shot at him, but 1 day after the last post in the thread. So....he did not choose to prod the flames after 3 months....he chose to respond to an unwarranted and rude post by YOU attacking him.
Oh because 41 days isn't still over a month? And I didn't reply to him after he'd chosen too either. Evidentially he chose to on the 7th, I imagined I was I still on his block list as he declared and didn't respond. He chose to add on to my response to another poster and that's when I said he was prodding the flames. <Of course I'm sure that last segment is all that's going to get a quote and a drawn out response though.

Quote:
This thread is for discussion about the prequels. It is not for discussion about the prequels ONLY IF YOU LOVE THEM. It is not for discussion about the prequels ONLY IF YOU HATE THEM. The thread starter created it under the concept of "WHAT IF THE PREQUELS WERE GOOD?"....but that does not mean that the people who think the prequels are already good are not allowed to post that in here. And....as a matter of fact....the people who posted that they thought the prequels were good did not insult the people who did not share their opinion...unlike the people who posted in here who did not like the prequels, who went out of their way to insult the people who did not share their opinion. So....you figure out which ones were really being rude.
Since you want to be so a matter a fact, I will respond in a similar manner:

What was the video titled that the topic poster linked to?
WHAT IF THE PHANTOM MENACE WAS GOOD (I'll let you Youtube search it since it's content is not allowed.)

What did he respond to the only post that gave feedback to the content he posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Glad someone actually watched them haha. The guy has some great ideas.
The guy didn't create the threat to ask the question "What if the prequels were good" as you falsely suggest. He created it to discuss the current video series by BelatedMedia. Everyone that posted included Gianakin that said "I already have my good prequels" or "But they were good" was completely ignoring the subject of discussing and instigating the pro/anti prequel argument right there. It was as if I went on a deleted scenes thread and posted how I didn't like the movie to begin with I'm good without them in order to rile up it's fans.

Quote:
2. Form of ineffective listening, monopolizing: This means when someone continually focuses listening on themselves, not the speaker. The person listening keeps shifting the topic to themselves.
Quote:
Stage Hogging
People who are only interested in expressing their own ideas, and who don't care about what others have to say on the subject. Stage hogs do not listen to the other person, but give short speeches.

Here's two terms I chose, which are commonly used to describe said behavior which yes is very rude. Oh and since I'm on the subject the terminology and poor forms of listening here's one I think you'd benefit from reading.

Quote:
Ambushing
People who listen very carefully. However, they do so to collect information that can be used against the other person (like a cross-examining attorney). These people are constantly looking to ambush and trap the other person in their own ideas and words, usually to prove or support a strong personal belief of their own. Ambushing causes others to be defensive.
A good example of ambush listening is when someone mentions their wrong doing and is given a response of an over the top chart that shows one was erroneous in claiming 3 months had passed when in fact it had been 41 days.


Last edited by BenKenobi; 11-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.
BenKenobi is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #39
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,402
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Oh because 41 days isn't still over a month?
You said he waited THREE MONTHS to respond. Three months is 90 days. 41 days does not equal 90 days...it isn't even half of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
What was the video titled that the topic poster linked to?
WHAT IF THE PHANTOM MENACE WAS GOOD (I'll let you Youtube search it since it's content is not allowed.)
I don't need to look it up, I was the one who deleted it after seeing that it contained material not allowed on the Hype.

Not going to bother with rest of your post. Since you are acting trollish with your talk.

C. Lee is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.