The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #751
MarvelU
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,053
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'm betting RT are holding them back.
Is that how it works? I always assumed the critic had to post their own reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

Anyways the scores for this movie are weird. You got a 65% from all critics, 38% from Top critics and 86% from audience.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #752
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I know, it's a little late for conspiracy theories ain't it.

@Tony Stark, Certainly I thought the first Thor had a far better villain and that Thor actually seemed to be more of a character in his own film than in the sequel.

I just think its weird that a film this big has far fewer reviews than many films released around the same time. I dont know if it would pull in more positive or more negative reviews to be honest. My hunch is more negative but hey I dont know.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #753
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Is that how it works? I always assumed the critic had to post their own reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

Anyways the scores for this movie are weird. You got a 65% from all critics, 38% from Top critics and 86% from audience.

Audience percent for a movie like this is always going to be high. This is a genere movie and people who flock to the theater in the first 2 days to see movies like this tend to love the genre. Marvel has a cult following and they flood rt with positive reviews. The average joe who walks out of seeing thor isnt going to jump on rt to express their opinion.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #754
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,458
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Is that how it works? I always assumed the critic had to post their own reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

Anyways the scores for this movie are weird. You got a 65% from all critics, 38% from Top critics and 86% from audience.
I find the combined average of the critics and the users to be the most accurate.

So in this case the combined rating would be 76%.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #755
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,304
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
I just think its weird that a film this big has far fewer reviews than many films released around the same time. I dont know if it would pull in more positive or more negative reviews to be honest. My hunch is more negative but hey I dont know.
I expected it to be above 250 reviews as well.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #756
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I expected it to be above 250 reviews as well.

Yup thats why I think somethings up. But wolverine didnt get many reviews either. But crap captain phillips got more reviews lol and Gravity got a massive number of reviews. Not to mention MOS and IM3 ect.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #757
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,736
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Is that how it works? I always assumed the critic had to post their own reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

Anyways the scores for this movie are weird. You got a 65% from all critics, 38% from Top critics and 86% from audience.
I was joking, it was in reference to an incident here when Captain America was released.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #758
rashad
Hype Board Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,928
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Yup thats why I think somethings up. But wolverine didnt get many reviews either. But crap captain phillips got more reviews lol and Gravity got a massive number of reviews. Not to mention MOS and IM3 ect.
Nothing is up. It just varies from film to film.

__________________

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #759
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,103
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I was joking, it was in reference to an incident here when Captain America was released.
What happened?

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #760
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,736
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
What happened?
There was this conspiracy theory being tossed around by the tin foil hat wearing fan boys that WB, which owns RT, was purposely suppressing Captain America good reviews early on for......well, some reason they never quite explained.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #761
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,103
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Oh, that movie not only so boring that it put me to sleep, but it was so dumb that Hugo Weaving is on record as saying he does not want to go back.

I doubt that a 79% is suppressed. Captain America was not a 90% movie. Without Hayley Atwell it might be a 30% movie.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #762
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
There was this conspiracy theory being tossed around by the tin foil hat wearing fan boys that WB, which owns RT, was purposely suppressing Captain America good reviews early on for......well, some reason they never quite explained.
MOS got 59%. Done just to make it look less suspicious?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #763
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Oh, that movie not only so boring that it put me to sleep, but it was so dumb that Hugo Weaving is on record as saying he does not want to go back.

I doubt that a 79% is suppressed. Captain America was not a 90% movie. Without Hayley Atwell it might be a 30% movie.

I am with you there, I never understood the raves for CA. They single handily turned Caps greatest enemy one of the greatest villians of the marvel universe into just another bad guy. And made World War 2 look like a video game.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #764
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,011
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Its definitely the weakest Phase 1 film.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #765
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
I am with you there, I never understood the raves for CA. They single handily turned Caps greatest enemy one of the greatest villians of the marvel universe into just another bad guy. And made World War 2 look like a video game.

Yes. One of the many problems of CA. It was such a boring, bland film and Evans is very wooden as CA. CA was a film that received higher RT reviews than MOS? Wow....that just makes zero sense.

Goes to show that RT reviews are highly inconsistent.

NoLaNitE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #766
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Why were there only 189 reviews of this film?

I was wondering the same? Holding back negative reviews possibly? I wouldn't be surprised....because Thor 2 was not very good. I'm sorry.

NoLaNitE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #767
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Yes. One of the many problems of CA. It was such a boring, bland film and Evans is very wooden as CA. CA was a film that received higher RT reviews than MOS? Wow....that just makes zero sense.

Goes to show that RT reviews are highly inconsistent.
It makes no sense but it shows you how critics are just as goofy as some fans. What I mean by that is Critics were just happy that there was an actual Captain America film on screen that wasnt totally stupid. So they praised it along with a bunch of fanboys. Superman on the other hand has to always be compared to the original and the tv shows and the Fleshier films and smallville and whatever. So MOS isnt the same as they remember superman so they hammer it. Captain America? Well geee he is actually finally in a movie so what if it looks like star wars in 1943 and they butchered one of the greatest villains of all time.

You will constantly see fans rave about Captain America and I can see alot of arguments on alot of films but that one is beyond me.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #768
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Yes. One of the many problems of CA. It was such a boring, bland film and Evans is very wooden as CA. CA was a film that received higher RT reviews than MOS? Wow....that just makes zero sense.

Goes to show that RT reviews are highly inconsistent.
Never liked Captain America movie, found it incredibly boring, they wasted a villain like Red Skull.

__________________

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #769
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,736
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Cap was definitely as bland a superhero movie as you can get. It felt like people were overly forgiving of a movie that was just so damn vanilla in its presentation, and it still baffles me to this day why it was given such a free pass. I actually found it worse than Thor because at least Thor had an interesting villain, Cap was like having a lettuce and cabbage sandwich on white bread with a side order of raw beans and a glass of water to wash it down.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #770
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,103
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Cap was definitely as bland a superhero movie as you can get. It felt like people were overly forgiving of a movie that was just so damn vanilla in its presentation, and it still baffles me to this day why it was given such a free pass. I actually found it worse than Thor because at least Thor had an interesting villain, Cap was like having a lettuce and cabbage sandwich on white bread with a side order of raw beans and a glass of water to wash it down.
The funny thing is, it wasn't fully bland, they inadvertently promoted a theme: if you are too much of a dweeb, anabolic steroids will save your life and make you the man. It was not their intention, but that was what the movie communicated.

I really hated that Rogers was a comprehensive loser prior to taking the serum. Also, I didn't like that Red Skull had more power than Hitler in the movie, but the script didn't seem to sufficiently acknowledge this. Supplanting Hitler would be a big deal. But mostly, I hated that it was boring and that I struggled to stay awake. That cheesy ending scene where he was crashing the plane into the arctic gave me the same sensation I get when I've been awake for longer than 24 hours.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #771
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,103
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
It makes no sense but it shows you how critics are just as goofy as some fans. What I mean by that is Critics were just happy that there was an actual Captain America film on screen that wasnt totally stupid. So they praised it along with a bunch of fanboys. Superman on the other hand has to always be compared to the original and the tv shows and the Fleshier films and smallville and whatever. So MOS isnt the same as they remember superman so they hammer it. Captain America? Well geee he is actually finally in a movie so what if it looks like star wars in 1943 and they butchered one of the greatest villains of all time.

You will constantly see fans rave about Captain America and I can see alot of arguments on alot of films but that one is beyond me.
A few things to keep in mind, if you look again at the list of RT scores,

1) On 200 reviews, a typical movie will have a statistical error of 6.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. That means that the difference between the two movies has an error of ~10 percentage points, 19 times out of 20 (or 5 percentage points 2 times out of 3). That is the error simply due to only having 200 reviewers, the effect of chance, it doesn't take into account bias, etc. It's the same idea that even if you flip a perfect coin 10 times, you might get head 6 times.

2) It's not the same reviewers. Captain America had 220 reviews, MoS had 271 reviews. More people reviewed it... more people wanted to review it? It may have attracted tougher reviewers on average since it was a bigger deal. Unlike the first effect, I don't know the exact size of this effect.

I Take RT scores as a general rule of thumb.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #772
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,181
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Y. CA was a film that received higher RT reviews than MOS? Wow....that just makes zero sense.
any movie not getting higher RT reviews than POS makes less sense imo

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #773
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,103
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

I had posted the RT scores a few pages back, here are the IMDB scores:

The Dark Knight, 9.0/10
The Dark Knight Rises, 8.6/10
Batman Begins, 8.3/10
Sin City, 8.2/10
V for Vendetta, 8.2/10
The Avengers, 8.2/10
Iron Man, 7.9/10
XMen First Class, 7.8/10
Kick Ass, 7.8/10
300, 7.7/10
Watchmen, 7.6/10
X2, 7.5/10
Spider Man 2, 7.4/10
XMen, 7.4/10
Man of Steel, 7.4/10
Iron Man 3, 7.4/10
Spider Man, 7.3/10
Iron Man 2, 7.1/10
The Amazing Spider Man, 7.1/10
Hellboy 2, 7.1/10
Blade, 7/10
Thor, 7/10
The Wolverine, 6.9/10
Xmen 3, 6.9/10
Kick Ass 2, 6.9/10
The Incredible Hulk, 6.9/10
Constantine, 6.8/10
Captain America, 6.8/10
Hellboy, 6.8/10
XMen Origins: Wolverine, 6.7/10
Blade 2, 6.6/10
Spider Man 3, 6.3/10
Punisher (2004), 6.3/10
Superman Returns, 6.2/10
Sucker Punch, 6.0/10
Punisher: War Zone, 5.9/10
Green Lantern, 5.8/10
Blade Trinity, 5.8/10
Hulk, 5.7/10
Fantastic Four, 5.7/10
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, 5.6/10
Daredevil, 5.4/10
Spawn, 5.1/10
Ghost Rider, 5.1/10
Elektra, 4.8/10
Jonah Hex, 4.6/10
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, 4.3/10
Catwoman, 3.2/10

Can you guys spot the systematic differences between the two lists?

Note, each of MoS, Thor 2, Kick Ass 2, The Wolverine, and Iron Man 3 is probably overrated since they are new, and IMDB overrates new movies.

So you don't have to scroll, here is RT again:

Dark Knight, 94%, 288 reviews
Spider Man 2, 94%, 248 reviews
Iron Man, 93%, 243 reviews
The Avengers, 92%, 301 reviews
Spider Man, 89%, 224 reviews
Dark Knight Rises, 88%, 304 reviews
X Men: First Class, 87%, 243 reviews
X Men 2, 87%, 224 reviews
Hellboy 2, 87%, 209 reviews
Batman Begins, 85%, 265 reviews
X Men, 82%, 243 reviews
Hellboy, 81%, 196 reviews
Captain America, 79%, 220 reviews
Sin City, 78%, 242 reviews
Iron Man 3, 78%, 270 reviews
Kick-Ass, 77%, 243 reviews
Thor, 77%, 261 reviews
Superman Returns, 75%, 229
V for Vendetta, 73%, 238 reviews
Iron Man 2, 73%, 275 reviews
The Amazing Spider Man, 73%, 284 reviews
The Wolverine, 68%, 191 reviews
The Incredible Hulk, 67%, 218 reviews
Thor 2: The Dark World, 65%, 192 reviews
Watchmen, 64%, 289 reviews
Spider Man 3, 63%, 243 reviews
The Hulk, 62%, 229 reviews
300, 60%, 226 reviews
Blade 2, 59%, 136 reviews
X Men 3, 57%, 229 reviews
Man of Steel, 56%, 271 reviews
Blade, 55%, 84 reviews
Constantine, 46%, 217 reviews
Daredevil, 45%, 214 reviews
X Men Origins: The Wolverine, 38%, 222
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Slver Surfer, 37%, 166 reviews
Kick Ass 2, 30%, 149 reviews
The Punisher, 29%, 167 reviews
Punisher: War Zone, 27%, 101 reviews
Fantastic Four, 27%, 203 reviews
Green Lantern, 26%, 227 reviews
Ghost Rider: 26%, 135 reviews
Blade 3, 26%, 164 reviews
Sucker Punch, 23%, 202 reviews
Ghost Rider 2, 17%, 112 reviews
Jonah Hex, 12%, 145 reviews
Elektra, 10%, 150 reviews
Catwoman, 9%, 180 reviews


Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-14-2013 at 06:31 AM.
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #774
theShape
Creature of Darkness
 
theShape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inside your mind.
Posts: 10,665
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

The first Cap movie was still better than IM2 and, IMO, The Incredible Hulk.

__________________
Past the point of no return...
theShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #775
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,107
Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Agreed.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.