The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I don't think we have ever talked before, I don't really know anything about you, so can you answer a question for me......how old are you. This is not meant to be a joke or snide. I really want to know your age, because I feel things like that effect how people see things. Me....I'm old. I'm 56 years old. Been watching all kinds of movies and TV shows for decades. I've seen many many franchises get rebooted (most likely most of them you and others on here have never seen or heard of)....and rarely feel that the "reboot" is something to really get upset about.

Some examples:
I was introduced to TARZAN by the Weismuller films. He made 12 of them. The first six at MGM with a certain continuity and feel (basicly serious with humor thrown in). The last 6 at RKO with a different continuity and feel (lower budgets, less noteworthy supporting cast, less serious, more humor ect...) it was like a reboot, not as good (in my opinion) but still enjoyable. Then I discovered the 5 movie TARZAN series starring Lex Barker. A reboot with new Tarzan, Jane, and supporting cast. His son, named Boy, was now removed from the series and the series given an overall lighter tone. Then the next reboot with Gordon Scott. He made 6 movies which were all over the place. The first couple were serious fare where Tarzan was a loner getting into adventures, then the next 2 he now had Jane and Boy with him, and the last 2 he was again a loner in serious gritty films. This continued on with several actors making multiple Tarzan movies and a nice TV series and such. I have enjoyed all of them to some extent (even though after first discovering him in the movies, I then read the books and he is a totally different from anything filmed)....should I have given up on anything made after the Weismuller films? Afterall, I saw them first, they were originally my definative version....there were so many things I would have missed out on if I had given up.

The same with James Bond. I have seen every Bond movie at the theater on it's first run. Should I have never tried to watch Daniel Craig because I started with Sean Connery, and for years he was the best Bond you could imagine? There have been good and bad Bond films. They have made major changes in tone and content over the decades....but they are still worth going to see. He's changed over the years from spy, to gadget master, to gimmick of the moment guy, and now back to spy.

I won't even get into some of the other franchises I have watched over the decades like The Falcon, the Saint, Mr. Moto, the Mysterious Mr. Wong, Green Hornet, Superman, Batman, Captain America......

I have to question the "happiness" part. Anyone who excludes so many "fun" movies from their lives over petty reasons does not sound like a happy person.

To do something different. To do what actors like to do...act different parts with different motives and ambitions and reasons for doing things.

Why did you go see the first XMEN movie...they had no filmatic "history" for you to care about. To me.....you sound like you prefer to live in a time loop living the same thing over and over and over.....

I know some people who said the same thing about the recent STAR TREK movies...so they didn't see them...and they missed out on a really good time. I say this again as a giant STAR TREK fan who has been a fan of the franchise since I was introduced it on it's first run TV appearance back in the 60's. The history of the TREK I have loved for 46 some years is now changed/erased/evaporated....doesn't keep me from watching the old shows...doesn't keep me from watching the new shows. Doesn't keep me from loving STAR TREK.

Have you ever heard of a guy named SUPERMAN. There was a highly loved serial of the character made in the 40's. The story of his birth on Krypton and then coming to Earth and becoming a superpowered hero was told then. If people had thought like you did....then never would have been a six season run of a beloved Superman series in the 50's....or the beloved run of Chris Reeve Superman movies in the 70's and 80's....or any of the other multiple TV series and theatrical releases made about the character over the next few decades up to a recent hit movie about the character. Do you like BATMAN? Not Bale or Keaton or West or Kilmer or Clooney.....I'm talking about the first BATMAN, Lewis Wilson. He made a BATMAN serial back in 1943. There is no need to make any more Batman movies or TV shows...because he already did it. We don't need any reboots of the character. I sure hope you haven't watched any reboots of the character. As I think about it...your choices of comic book shows to watch is getting pretty thin....because most of the recent characters seen have been see before. You shouldn't watch the new THOR movie because THOR appeared in a HULK TV movie back in 1988....and of course DareDevil was in the 89' HULK TV movie, so he can't be watched again. Captain America....serial in the 40's, 2 TV movies in the 70's, limited theatrical release in the 90's....he's already been done 4 times, no need to see the new movie. Yep....things are getting slim.

At least you have the original XMEN DVDs you can watch......and rewatch.....and rewatch.....

Me....I try to watch all comic related movies ever made. But I'm an old grumpy man who has lost his sense of adventure and wonderment at new things....wait....who am I describing there......
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.

josh8 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,626
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.
Exactly.

I used to get up in arms quite a few years back about remakes. Then I woke up and realized that just because a movie you love is being remade doesn't mean the government sends out the police and the army to go door to door destroying all copies of the original film and wiping it from existence.

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
They would hardly be "limited" if they stuck to the 70's or 80's. They'd only be limited by their own imaginations as there are plenty of opportunities.

Not to mention, being in those timeframes would certainly give the movie character and help it stand out from the plethora of other modern day superhero stories out there. First Class being set in the 60's with the whole James Bond vibe was one of the biggest highlights for me. It was fun, unique and nostalgic.

I don't see how their ages limited them either. The team was relatively young in the comics when they went on their first mission(s) against Magneto himself in addition to the Brotherhood and other formidable villains.
Depends on how you define limited. Sure, I'd love to see Shadow King, young Storm, mutant massacre, Sinister, all viable. But it's not Sentinels and doesn't have classic X-Men potentially biting the dust, like what some think will happen to Storm at some point in DoFP. There is that anti-climactic feel because you know these characters cannot be killed off pre-2023. The stakes are a bit lower. Still can do some fine stories, I agree, but not AoA or anything like that. It is a new timeline though so anything can happen, but the threat of anyone important dying in the past is no longer there if they adhere to the rumored altered timeline.

Mr.M is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
xDOFPx
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
That's because McKellan and Stewart are the backbone of the franchise. Had you just brought back Wolverine, it would have come across as a Wolverine 3. If you just brought back a handful of OT actors, it would be a nice throwback, but forgettable. Getting the original Mags/Xavier back is what seals the deal as this epic reunion that is DoFP. Other than that, Jean/Cyke are dead from a GA standpoint and Berry isn't that popular anymore. Neither is Ashmore or Cudmore or Paquin and Page.

Without that glue, there is no X-Men. This continuity and timeline isn't even worth discussing and this series, or set of X-Men films, is for all intensive purposes, over. Sure they can continue with a FC 3 and bridge the two time periods. Will it be as popular as DoFP? No. No matter what storyline they do in the 70's and 80's, it's not going to top it. Moreso do to the fact that you are limited with what you can do then (X-Men are still kids, and it's too early to bring in a force like Apocalypse or future Sentinel models), but much so because it cannot match the epicness of the future segments in DoFP.

That's why they don't have a choice BUT to retell in the new timeline. They may add some stories to expand on the Singer continuity and timeline, so I disagree that we may see an end of the original timeline all together. I believe this to be the case so that they can "buy time" before rebooting. But any continuity adhered to will likely be pre-1973 if at all.
The bolded part is wrong. Paquin (True Blood has made her more famous than ever), Berry and Page are popular and they will have a draw to audiences, it is not all about Stewart and McKellen. They certainly aren't the biggest draw for me. And I doubt I'm alone in that.

I also reckon you're all thinking far too drastically about the timeline changes. In fact I think you're all being melodramatic.

xDOFPx is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,179
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
FC compared to a trilogy is something you can't compare, at least not yet, but yeah stewart,mckellen and jackman are the ones that stand out to audiences in the OT, infact i think mckellen and stewart are the actors i'm looking forward to seeing most in the OT
Most definitely. I'm just saying some people act like FC is the Holy Grail, or the second coming of Christ... and in the grand scheme of things, off these message boards.... it's really not. It's a good fun film, but that franchise has yet to define it self.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler
 
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 8,009
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Another thing to consider here is Fox only have so long between films to produce another or they lose the film rights back to Marvel. They don't have the luxury of letting the franchise rest or breathe for a decade or 2 between any new version. They have so many years to keep them going with the current cast, or they recast & reboot, or they lose any future films with them forever.

As the X films are the only CBM's they have done any good with the notion they would consider the OT cast the end of the matter (once this cast is too old to play them) is utterly absurd.

They will recast/reboot eventually no matter what. They will not let their rights with this cash cow go.

If anyone doesn't like that? You think for one minute that Fox cares?

This is business for them at the end of the day. The are in this to make money, not fret over the feelings of any fans who might not want a reboot for another decade or more (or at all as the case may be).

__________________
To see some gratuitous Wobbly Bits just hit the link :)
wobbly is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #32
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,626
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Most definitely. I'm just saying some people act like FC is the Holy Grail, or the second coming of Christ... and in the grand scheme of things, off these message boards.... it's really not. It's a good fun film, but that franchise has yet to define it self.
Although it takes place in the past so they obviously needed younger actors, it still is technically part of the overall franchise.

Figs is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #33
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
The bolded part is wrong. Paquin (True Blood has made her more famous than ever), Berry and Page are popular and they will have a draw to audiences, it is not all about Stewart and McKellen. They certainly aren't the biggest draw for me. And I doubt I'm alone in that.

I also reckon you're all thinking far too drastically about the timeline changes. In fact I think you're all being melodramatic.
Maybe not, but you are probably in the minority there. Paquin is going to bring her fanbase in as will Dinklage, but it will hardly comprise the masses, most of whom do not subscribe to premium cable packages. I think the fact that you have those two back, making it seem like the epic conclusion of sort, is the biggest draw by far.

Mr.M is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.
Whoa who's being rude? I gave him the courtesy of a well thought out post to explain my stance and why I hate reboots and I'm being accused of being rude? My "rattling off" comment was about him naming a bunch of old movies that have been remade, it wasn't being rude towards his lengthy post.

As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #35
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,484
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Whoa who's being rude? I gave him the courtesy of a well thought out post to explain my stance and why I hate reboots and I'm being accused of being rude? My "rattling off" comment was about him naming a bunch of old movies that have been remade, it wasn't being rude towards his lengthy post.

As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.
Reboots are going to happen, or eventually the films are going to fall into a James Bond-like continuity that's extremely loose (which isn't that different from a reboot anyway) as the years go on. Actors are going to get too old the play the characters we're watching and they're going to have to recast, as time goes on the style of the films will change, etc. Just as the comics do.

And once that happens, it's really no different than a reboot. Though honestly, I wouldn't mind if they did that. The one thing I do agree with is that we don't need a new origin story every ten years. I would fully support a more "comic-like" story telling mind when it comes to the movies. Don't worry about continuity too much and focus on telling good stories. The general audience only really cares about continuity issues for about 5 to 10 years anyway.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #36
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Reboots are going to happen, or eventually the films are going to fall into a James Bond-like continuity that's extremely loose (which isn't that different from a reboot anyway) as the years go on. Actors are going to get too old the play the characters we're watching and they're going to have to recast, as time goes on the style of the films will change, etc. Just as the comics do.

And once that happens, it's really no different than a reboot. Though honestly, I wouldn't mind if they did that. The one thing I do agree with is that we don't need a new origin story every ten years. I would fully support a more "comic-like" story telling mind when it comes to the movies. Don't worry about continuity too much and focus on telling good stories. The general audience only really cares about continuity issues for about 5 to 10 years anyway.
I'm quoting you but I'm gonna be responding to more than just you.

Lets take the business out of it, because I understand the issues with the rights (but I also believe that business doesn't always lead to the best creativity)

How many film series have had an extensive james bond like continuity...

James bond. Thats it. So this is what I mean by the entitlement. Why do we feel that X-Men HAS to carry on that long forever? It'd be the only series other than bond to do it. Star Trek came close but that also has recasts and new characters - within the same continuity mind you (I'm talking pre-2009).

So that brings us to First Class. Which debunks the theory that I have a hard on for the main trilogy cast, because if that was the case why is First Class my favorite X-Men film yet?

You can recast with new characters and continue the franchise. You don't need to reboot.

Now lets get into the rights. So they gotta keep making movies or lose the rights? So they are gonna make X-Men films forever? There is a such thing as over saturation and too much of a good thing. This is where business and creativity don't mix.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #37
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,484
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I'm quoting you but I'm gonna be responding to more than just you.

Lets take the business out of it, because I understand the issues with the rights (but I also believe that business doesn't always lead to the best creativity)

How many film series have had an extensive james bond like continuity...

James bond. Thats it. So this is what I mean by the entitlement. Why do we feel that X-Men HAS to carry on that long forever? It'd be the only series other than bond to do it. Star Trek came close but that also has recasts and new characters - within the same continuity mind you (I'm talking pre-2009).

So that brings us to First Class. Which debunks the theory that I have a hard on for the main trilogy cast, because if that was the case why is First Class my favorite X-Men film yet?

You can recast with new characters and continue the franchise. You don't need to reboot.

Now lets get into the rights. So they gotta keep making movies or lose the rights? So they are gonna make X-Men films forever? There is a such thing as over saturation and too much of a good thing. This is where business and creativity don't mix.
Film-wise, yes Bond is the first long lasting film series with loose continuity. However, these are films based on a creative medium that has functioned with loose continuity for going on 50 years now. The Bond films basically adopted a comic-book attitude when it came to telling their stories, and they've shown that it can work.

And in response to your question as to weather or not the X-films should go on, I say, YES! Absolutely! Why? Because there are SO many more stories and styles to explore with these characters, it's a world rife with creative opportunities, and as a comic fan I absolutely want it to continue! I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want it to. I want to see different takes and representations of this world that I love.

And in terms of over-saturation, I believe the Superhero genre is unique in that aspect, because it's not really a genre, it's a giant mega-genre made up of multiple sub-genre's. You have DOFP, that looks very sci-fi action oriented, in the vein of a Terminator film, you have Thor, which played out as a Fanstasy/Sci-fi epic and comedy, Cap looks to be straight Mission Impossible spy-thriller, and Guardians of the Galaxy looks to be an off the wall comedy sci-fi more in the style of Ghostbusters and Back to the Future. And before that we had the hugely popular Nolan Bat-films that felt more like crime dramas than superhero flicks at times.

All these films have wildly different tones and looks, it's not a situation like the rise and fall of Westerns. I think Superhero films could easily continue indefinitely because of this.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Film-wise, yes Bond is the first long lasting film series with loose continuity. However, these are films based on a creative medium that has functioned with loose continuity for going on 50 years now. The Bond films basically adopted a comic-book attitude when it came to telling their stories, and they've shown that it can work.

And in response to your question as to weather or not the X-films should go on, I say, YES! Absolutely! Why? Because there are SO many more stories and styles to explore with these characters, it's a world rife with creative opportunities, and as a comic fan I absolutely want it to continue! I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want it to. I want to see different takes and representations of this world that I love.

And in terms of over-saturation, I believe the Superhero genre is unique in that aspect, because it's not really a genre, it's a giant mega-genre made up of multiple sub-genre's. You have DOFP, that looks very sci-fi action oriented, in the vein of a Terminator film, you have Thor, which played out as a Fanstasy/Sci-fi epic and comedy, Cap looks to be straight Mission Impossible spy-thriller, and Guardians of the Galaxy looks to be an off the wall comedy sci-fi more in the style of Ghostbusters and Back to the Future. And before that we had the hugely popular Nolan Bat-films that felt more like crime dramas than superhero flicks at times.

All these films have wildly different tones and looks, it's not a situation like the rise and fall of Westerns. I think Superhero films could easily continue indefinitely because of this.
There's lots of comics that are far more popular than X-Men that haven't spawned nearly as many movies as people want from X-Men. And I would agree with you that there are more stories to tell, and I have admittedly changed my tune on that. I used to think that the series should wrap up in a nice neat little trilogy package but I have seen that I am wrong in that regard. And there's definitely more that can be told. But I would disagree with you in one regard and that is that not every comic story needs to be adapted to film. Not every comic story is very good. I've read some great ones, I've read some poor ones, and even some of the good stories wouldn't make fir a good movie. There's no reason to adapt every single comic run ever.

But I definitely agree there's enough more material that deserves to be represented in the movie verse to make up another couple few movies. And a reboot isn't needed to do it either.

We already have our recast with First class. They are still under contract. We still have access to the main trilogy cast. And there are still a lot of characters to introduce.

I'd do a 3rd First Class based on the mutant massacre, include Sinister, and then use that introduction to Sinister to make an Age of Apocalypse movie post-Days Of Future Past. And with the age of Stewart and McKellan, they could even lead into an Onslaught style story to justify recasting them as well.

That just gave us 3 more movies without a reboot. Plus a Wolverine 3 is 4. That's an 11 movie series right there. Plus the potential X-Force spinoff.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #39
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,484
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
There's lots of comics that are far more popular than X-Men that haven't spawned nearly as many movies as people want from X-Men. And I would agree with you that there are more stories to tell, and I have admittedly changed my tune on that. I used to think that the series should wrap up in a nice neat little trilogy package but I have seen that I am wrong in that regard. And there's definitely more that can be told. But I would disagree with you in one regard and that is that not every comic story needs to be adapted to film. Not every comic story is very good. I've read some great ones, I've read some poor ones, and even some of the good stories wouldn't make fir a good movie. There's no reason to adapt every single comic run ever.

But I definitely agree there's enough more material that deserves to be represented in the movie verse to make up another couple few movies. And a reboot isn't needed to do it either.

We already have our recast with First class. They are still under contract. We still have access to the main trilogy cast. And there are still a lot of characters to introduce.

I'd do a 3rd First Class based on the mutant massacre, include Sinister, and then use that introduction to Sinister to make an Age of Apocalypse movie post-Days Of Future Past. And with the age of Stewart and McKellan, they could even lead into an Onslaught style story to justify recasting them as well.

That just gave us 3 more movies without a reboot. Plus a Wolverine 3 is 4. That's an 11 movie series right there. Plus the potential X-Force spinoff.
Oh, I never said every story should be adapted. Far from it. I just said there are many more stories I would like to see. Which is why I'd like to see this series continue. Not necessarily through reboots, but through a loose continuity like Bond.

To be honest, I think every comic film series should eventually turn into a Bond-like series. Have three or four movies that are connected, and then keep going with films that don't have to be connected, but could be.

And really, comic wise, there are only a few titles that are more popular than X-men. It pretty much boils down to Superman, Batman, and Spidey. That's about it. The x-verse has a great mythology. And who knows what will get written in the next few years that might be great to adapt into film?

And that's the key word there, adapt. I don't want to see a straight translation, but adaptations of stories that have been great, because I like to see how things change in transition. Sometimes I enjoy the changed versions more than the origins. Sometimes not, but I always find it interesting to see how it's presented. Which is why I think this series should keep continuing.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,394
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

The problem Is Hollywood goes overboard with reboots.There should be a at least 10 years moreturm on rebooting if film series bombs or they decerde not to
continue..Plus some people dismiss films If they aren't shiney and new.

WB allowed Bryan Singer to do a sequel to Richard Donnor Superman.They should have to live with It.A reboot should not have happened till 2016.Same with Batman.They let Nolan have all this power and do film that makes it impossible to do another batman film without rebooting.It should be next decade till another Batman film.

I clearly don't like Man of steel as I do Superman(1978).I like the Tim Burton Batman films and first 2 Nolan batman films.

James Bond Is perfect example of problems.Die Another Day was hugh sucess at box office.Moonraker was DAD of it's day and they didn't reboot.They simply did a more down to earth Bond film and made better film In For your eyes Only.The bond producers want to have it both ways rebooting and have films be considered part of exsisting series.Plus Skyfall Is only one of rebooted series I view as real James Bond films.I have been seeing bond films since I was 11 with a View to a kill and last 2 I didn't go to theatres.

Sony even when they were planing SPider-man 4 were also planning a reboot.They could easily have done a spider-man 4 with a new cast and director.

My main Problem with Star Trek reboot Is trying to copy Star Wars.Some here may think Trekkers love what was done with Star Trek.Many don't.They
should have waited a few years and just did a complete reboot of Star Trek without any of the alternate timeline BS.Abrams Trek Is like the reimaging of battlestar galactica It's not meant for exsisting fans.

I am shocked DIsney Isn't rebooting Star Wars instead of trying to continue it.

It's been only 4 years since terinator salvation was out and Sarah Connor chronicles was axed and they are planning a reboot which basiclly Is remake of first film yet you apparently have Arnold back playing terminator.That's as stupid as having Judi dench play M In 3 bond films after reboot.

I would like to see X-Men adopt the old Bond way.That's more fitting for comic books.

A 10 to 20 year gap before they can reboot would be good thing.The idea of rebooting when a series is fresh Is bad idea.

__________________
Best Marvel films-X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man X-Men Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine X-Men first Class The Avengers Iron Man The Incredible Hulk
Best DC films-Superman Batman Returns Batman The Dark Knight Batman Begins Superman II The dark Knight Rises Superman Returns Watchmen
marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
xDOFPx
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Maybe not, but you are probably in the minority there. Paquin is going to bring her fanbase in as will Dinklage, but it will hardly comprise the masses, most of whom do not subscribe to premium cable packages. I think the fact that you have those two back, making it seem like the epic conclusion of sort, is the biggest draw by far.
In your opinion. Which doesn't cover all the audience. JS.

xDOFPx is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
xDOFPx
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

I wouldn't be so sure of a reboot of the franchise. They can this milk what they've got for years to come without having to start again. Spin-off's and sequels can take them on for years. They have no reason to reboot.

xDOFPx is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #43
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Oh, I never said every story should be adapted. Far from it. I just said there are many more stories I would like to see. Which is why I'd like to see this series continue. Not necessarily through reboots, but through a loose continuity like Bond.

To be honest, I think every comic film series should eventually turn into a Bond-like series. Have three or four movies that are connected, and then keep going with films that don't have to be connected, but could be.

And really, comic wise, there are only a few titles that are more popular than X-men. It pretty much boils down to Superman, Batman, and Spidey. That's about it. The x-verse has a great mythology. And who knows what will get written in the next few years that might be great to adapt into film?

And that's the key word there, adapt. I don't want to see a straight translation, but adaptations of stories that have been great, because I like to see how things change in transition. Sometimes I enjoy the changed versions more than the origins. Sometimes not, but I always find it interesting to see how it's presented. Which is why I think this series should keep continuing.
And that's where you and I differ. I don't think that every comic series should turn into a bond style franchise. I think that eventually the time cones to end something and move on to new ideas.

I certainly don't need 20 Hellboy movies. I don't even need one. I don't even need 20 X-Men movies. I already have 7. That's a lot. If I never got another X-Men movie I would be perfectly content with that.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,484
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
And that's where you and I differ. I don't think that every comic series should turn into a bond style franchise. I think that eventually the time cones to end something and move on to new ideas.

I certainly don't need 20 Hellboy movies. I don't even need one. I don't even need 20 X-Men movies. I already have 7. That's a lot. If I never got another X-Men movie I would be perfectly content with that.
Yeah, that's where I don't agree. X-men has a vast number of stories they tell. I wouldn't limit them. Bottom line: I just want to see good movies made. If they keep making good films, why stop?

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,179
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Another thing to consider here is Fox only have so long between films to produce another or they lose the film rights back to Marvel. They don't have the luxury of letting the franchise rest or breathe for a decade or 2 between any new version. They have so many years to keep them going with the current cast, or they recast & reboot, or they lose any future films with them forever.

As the X films are the only CBM's they have done any good with the notion they would consider the OT cast the end of the matter (once this cast is too old to play them) is utterly absurd.

They will recast/reboot eventually no matter what. They will not let their rights with this cash cow go.

If anyone doesn't like that? You think for one minute that Fox cares?

This is business for them at the end of the day. The are in this to make money, not fret over the feelings of any fans who might not want a reboot for another decade or more (or at all as the case may be).
I really wouldn't be too sure about that.. there's plenty of Mutant spin-off teams and individual mutants who could have solo films... it's actually pretty damn near infinite.

X-force, New Mutants, Excalibur (if they own them), Age of Apocalypse, X-factor, Young X-men, Deadpool, etc.........

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,179
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Although it takes place in the past so they obviously needed younger actors, it still is technically part of the overall franchise.
... ? Im well aware, but FC was also described by singer himself as a reboot of sorts.

it's all part of the same franchise, but they each have there own sub-franchises especially if FC get's a 3rd film

Much like the Star Wars OT and NT are all part of the same franchise, but are in themselves separate "franchise" sub-trilogies. Same with Original Star Trek, and Next Generation.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,786
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Now lets get into the rights. So they gotta keep making movies or lose the rights? So they are gonna make X-Men films forever? There is a such thing as over saturation and too much of a good thing. This is where business and creativity don't mix.
If there's oversaturation it won't come from Fox.

They've spread 6 films over 13 years. Slow and steady would be their motto

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #48
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,928
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.
Here, let me direct you to an updated version of my earlier post, which I think got eaten by Thread Manager on the last thread:

I was 4 in 1978, when Superman: The Movie first came out. My dad, who grew up with Superman comics and the TV series with George Reeves, happily took me to see it. He didn't think "those stories have already been told" and refused to see the new version. Or told me to only watch *his* version of Superman (which was on reruns on weekday afternoons).

Hell no. He happily took me to the new Superman and we loved it (my mom loved it too). He even bought me the program, which I wish I still had.

And he gladly took us to the sequel a few years later. This time, my younger sister and a few of our friends were with us, and I remember us all cheering when Superman asked Zod if he "cared to step outside".

Although we had the good sense to quit the series as it sadly went downhill with the next two sequels...we saw Superman Returns and Man of Steel during their respective releases. Like my dad in 1978, I was ready for Superman to come back. I wanted a new Superman. I want my nephews to cheer it on like we did as kids.

Because Superman is bigger than one TV show, or movie series. As long as there are stories to tell and people to tell them right, they should continue. Especially as times change and stories become relevant to new generations in different ways.

Same goes with X-Men. You do a terrible disservice to that wealth of storytelling if you call it quits after one movie series. Can you honestly say that if some writer comes along in the next few years and writes a definitive X-Men comics arc that virtually cries out for a movie adaptation, it shouldn't be done because, oops, sorry...the movies are done now?

Not every reboot is evil. If it continues something we love and is done right, it's great. You just don't know that because you refuse to see them, which doesn't give you a leg to stand on in this argument.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #49
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,786
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

^ Great Post and Point

The problem i see with Rebooting, other than giving up the steller cast is that pretty much all other Reboots have come a good while after their predessors.

Batman rebooted after 8 years of absense. Captain America 21 years later, Superman 8 years later (if you count Returns) and Spider-Man 7 years after SM3. And outside of CBM all have been around a decade or more before reboots

Fox could only wait around 4 to 5 years max, which would be a bit soon imo.

I think a soft reboot that skews the FC cast into an alternate timeline would be best. Those are quite new actors to the role and were great in FC and would have freedom to re-introduce younger versions of the big characters which is essentially a reboot

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 11-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #50
xrs13
Cold as ice
 
xrs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,132
Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

yeah I think that sounds smart plus it means the OT can get as many movies out that they like and still continue the FC films, it does make sense to go that route, it just has to be explained properly to the GA

xrs13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.