The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: which did you enjoy more MOS or Thor TDW ?
MOS by miles 85 61.15%
MOS by a little 17 12.23%
enjoyed them both the same 8 5.76%
enjoyed Thor by a little 9 6.47%
Thor TDW by miles 18 12.95%
didn't like either of them 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #51
jacobed
Banned User

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

I loved Thor but it's great for Marvel standards which is a bit lower than Dc standards. I expect these to be just amazing, to deliver on themes and characters that I don't expect Marvel to because well they won't. Case in point Superman killing Zod. Everyone argued whether it was right or wrong. Marvel kills someone it's eh who cares because it means nothing. So Mos by miles

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #52
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post

Case in point Superman killing Zod. Everyone argued whether it was right or wrong. Marvel kills someone it's eh who cares because it means nothing. So Mos by miles
Nice ! hadn't thought of that argument, and I've been arguing about the greatness of MOS, and all about the death of Zod, since MOS came out.

Big props to you !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #53
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

I still support Superman killing Zod in MOS,He saved a family who was in danger of dying and so not like Superman broke Zod's neck in a normal situation,Plus Cavil's Superman's reaction right after was great and emotional,It will also be addressed in this film and maybe later on than Superman killing and moving on like nothing like in B'89 and BR

Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #54
Thoix
Side-Kick

As I am on my phone and not a computer, I will only post which one I prefere and explain why tomorrow.

It's not a fair fight at all. Man of Steel is the winner. I can't think of a single aspect where Thor: TDW beats MoS. It's just a all around better movie.

Man of Steel - 8.5/10
Thor: The Dark World - 6.5/10

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #55
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

MOS has extreme positives and and a lot of modest negatives. Thor:TDW was just a decent quality film with nothing that really makes it stand out. The things that's sad is that I believe that the Thor films could be the best MCU franchises out there. Its just that they keep under representing Thor's powers and abilities and the scale at with he can use them. Mjolnir doesn't feel as special as it does in the comics. Then on top of that so far in the phase two movies It doesn't feels like the directors and writers are mapping out the characters power levels, defensive levels, and speed levels and give them rules to operate by. It's like everything that they do in the phase two movies are just plot device related and doesn't have any consistency.

Ex. In Thor: The Dark World Thor couldn't damage Kurse with Mjolnir, the second most powerful weapon in Asgard behind Odin spear, but Loki can run Kurse though with a normal Asgardian sword and kill him instantly with a Dark Elf gravity grenade. Thor's hammer can't penatrate Malekith defensive but the metal in Erik Selvig device was strong enough to impale Malekith.

Ex. In Ironman 3 Killian can regenerate from being blown to pieces but Eric Savin died after getting a hole blown threw him even though they have the exact same powers. Here is the really big one the Extremis soldiers easily take skin and limbs damage but there skin and limbs are strong enough to rip though a titanium suit like paper.

There was a consistency in all the power level, defensive level, and speed level in the phase one movies and in The Avenger but in the Phase two movies it like all the action sequences are just dictated by plot devices.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-14-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #56
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Man of Steel vs the borderline slapstick comedy. Yeah, I would go MOS.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #57
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I liked Man of Steel better. Thor The Dark World was just okay and was a little disappointing for me. The lack of a strong villain and way to many comic relief characters eating up screen time really lower it for me.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #58
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I liked Man of Steel better. Thor The Dark World was just okay and was a little disappointing for me. The lack of a strong villain and way to many comic relief characters eating up screen time really lower it for me.
Same here, and I will throw in a weak story too.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #59
Morcego
Tadarida Brasiliensis

I really liked MoS; didn't love it, though.
TDW, on the other hand, was trash. A bad movie from MS already unimpressive collection ( with the exception of the first Iron Man and The Avengers, which are amazing, imo!).

So, MoS by miles.

Morcego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #60
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I loved Thor but it's great for Marvel standards which is a bit lower than Dc standards.
Catwoman, Constantine, Jonah Hex and Green Lantern say hi !

Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #61
tek
Side-Kick

preferred MOS to TTDW but enjoyed both. though preferred Thor to MOS as the story connected more

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #62
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
Catwoman, Constantine, Jonah Hex and Green Lantern say hi !

Actually, I really enjoyed Constantine - it's not bad, if you pretend that the comic never existed, but if you can't do that, yeah, you'd hate it.

However, your comment re Catwoman, Jonah Hex and Green Lantern

is spot on (and I'm a DC fan). Catwoman was utter crap, Jonah Hex

equally so, Green Lantern tantalized us (Mark Strong was great as Sinestro)

but the woeful miscasting of Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, as well as

mediocre story, and Parallax looking a lot like Beetlejuice ****ing killed it.

Really sad, as I've always been a GL fan. I wonder if they'd darkened the

tone if it would have worked.....nah, nothing could save it.

Thanks for keeping us honest ! cheers.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #63
daddydivine
Side-Kick

I see many comments about how emotional MOS was... I think MOS tried to have an emotional impact and failed. I think the romance between Supes and Lois was beyond silly. I think without Clark Kent providing a little levity the movie wants to pass itself off as a drama and fails.

TTDW doesnt take itself very seriously so the flaws dont effect the general audience as much.

All that aside I do wish Marvel would start a brand of movies with a more serious tone. Maybe some street level heroes or a Dr. Strange movie. Because even though I love the Marvel approach and their movies have a comic book feel they all are starting to use the same formula.

So its TTDW that doesnt take itself seriously and just makes a fun movie or MOS that tries to take itself seriously and fails.

TTDW by miles.

daddydivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #64
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydivine View Post
I see many comments about how emotional MOS was... I think MOS tried to have an emotional impact and failed. I think the romance between Supes and Lois was beyond silly. I think without Clark Kent providing a little levity the movie wants to pass itself off as a drama and fails.

TTDW doesnt take itself very seriously so the flaws dont effect the general audience as much.

All that aside I do wish Marvel would start a brand of movies with a more serious tone. Maybe some street level heroes or a Dr. Strange movie. Because even though I love the Marvel approach and their movies have a comic book feel they all are starting to use the same formula.

So its TTDW that doesnt take itself seriously and just makes a fun movie or MOS that tries to take itself seriously and fails.

TTDW by miles.
How was the relation ship silly. Superman is good looking, handsome, and a 30 year old virgin. Lois maybe like the second girl ever that he let get close to him. Him falling for lois makes since. Lois almost died 3 times in mos. Every time she would be on deaths door and she would be thinking "OMG this is it i'm going to die" Superman would show up and save here life. So from her point of view this Handsome and sexy guy with god like powers is constantly saving my life like an guardian Angel and he's always there for me when I need him.

It's basically like an extreme version of this story.

Woman Falls In Love With Man Who Saved Her Life
http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...saved-her-life
Quote:
She now works in a local hospital and wasted no time thanking the first responders. She even revisited the ambulance where she fought for her life.

Then, something magical happened. Love entered her life in the most unexpected way from Cameron Hill, the firefighter who just knew she would make it. Sparks started flying and the two hit it off. What did she see in Hill? A handsome guy who came to her rescue.

Dohme told Alexander, "Completely the biggest crush on anybody I have ever had in my entire life."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-15-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #65
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Thor: The Dark World. As I said before, MOS was good, but it's not even on par with Marvel Studios's worst. TDW simply had much more going for it: better pace, superior score, a better sense of humor (funny ≠ inferior), Tom Hiddleston. I could go on. MOS has fine moments, but it feels kinda sloppy in places. TDW has its flaws, but it feels very polished in comparison, making for a much better experience.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #66
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydivine View Post

TTDW by miles.
Lois and Clark romance was not silly. In fact if you looking for "romance" then you wont find it. What happened with Lois and Clark was bond that was created. Lois knows Clark intimately by the end of the film. She met Ma Kent, met Jor-El, knows about Pa Kents death and the reason behind it. Thy both played a huge part in stopping Zod. It was magnificent what they did with Lois and Clark.

You cant expect levity from Clark at this point. When you have a person dealing with loneliness and an identity issue there is no time for levity.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #67
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
Lois and Clark romance was not silly. In fact if you looking for "romance" then you wont find it. What happened with Lois and Clark was bond that was created. Lois knows Clark intimately by the end of the film. She met Ma Kent, met Jor-El, knows about Pa Kents death and the reason behind it. Thy both played a huge part in stopping Zod. It was magnificent what they did with Lois and Clark.

You cant expect levity from Clark at this point. When you have a person dealing with loneliness and an identity issue there is no time for levity.
Her lips would agree with that in more ways than one.lol

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #68
Man of Steel
Superman

Man of Steel was better, hands down. I didn't like how Loki did a complete Heel Face Turn without even much explanation. I still liked Thor, but not as much.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #69
Longshot777
Side-Kick

I was disappointed with MOS when I first saw it.

But then the second time I saw it and then bought the DVD. I now get it!!!

This movie kills Thor which is also a good movie.

MOS is a really great movie. It's as good as Batman Begins.

The first Ironman started the Avengers Universe and MOS just started the JL Universe. MOS kills all the Ironman movies....so I say, the JL movie universe has a great start.

Longshot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #70
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Thor 2 On Track To Hammer Man of Steel At The Box Office?

An earlier tweet by Cosmic Book News EIC Matt McGloin read "Thor is the new Superman," and now the numbers might be supporting that.

Box Office Mojo has put together some estimates, and while Thor 2 is running behind Man of Steel domestically at the box office, it is hammering Superman internationally.

The Motely Fool, an investment website and content partner for USA Today, estimates that Thor 2 will end up close to the Man of Steel's final numbers (see chart below).

They have it that Thor 2 could finish with around $660 million worldwide, with Man of Steel having $663 million (which is actually less than the $700 million Warner Bros. hoped for and why some believe Batman was added to the mix).

Currently, Thor 2 has netted $147 million domestically after being open for ten days.

The same time period saw Man of Steel at a whopping $249 million in the U.S.

What's interesting about Man of Steel's numbers is that after ten days it only went on to make another $42 million ($291 total for U.S.), which possibly means the film had no staying power with some word-of-mouth reviews being so negative.

Fan thoughts on Thor 2, however, have been for the most part positive.

Another bonus for Thor 2 could be its staying power in movie theaters. For some reason, Man of Steel got yanked early - appearing only 98 days in theaters, which is actually less than the 2011 Thor movie. That 98 days for the Man of Steel is considerably less than any of The Dark Knight movies and is even less than Superman Returns. It's possible if Thor 2's numbers remain steady, it could overtake Man of Steel at the box office as it simply will be shown more.

Another interesting number: The foreign total for Man of Steel is $371,800,000. Thor 2 is currently sitting at $332,800,000.

Thor 2 is currently at $479,765,000 worldwide, which looks good for the possibility of a Thor 3 or a Loki spinoff movie.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...eel-box-office

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 11-17-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #71
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Nice post Bruce Begins

Box office success is always food for thought, but if it was measure of a film's
worth, then Serenity (the Firefly film) would be one of the worst movies of all time, as well as other "cult-classics' whose truth brilliance wasn't discovered during their cinematic run.

I would suggest some foolishness by WB execs, or conspiracy by Marvel/Disney, but really I don't have to, who cares ?

Thor TDW, is a fun film, great visuals some cool action and a few laughs.

MOS is a journey we take with the main character, from his birth,
to his final acknowledgement of his place in the world.

At every turn he struggles, both inwardly, with confusion about who he really is and why he is unique (a Man of Steel in a world of balsa wood), and outwardly with forces that seek to destroy him and everything he stands for.

All in all, I really enjoyed Thor TDW, but it isn't anywhere near the journey that MOS is. The Avengers is good fun too, but the characters are pretty much cardboard cut-outs.

So while Thor TDW and the Avengers might earn more $$$ from audiences
(btw, some truly crap films have made a killing at the box office, like Twilight, or the Transformers sequels) MOS is a far superior product, and rivals the Nolan DK trilogy for its examination and deconstruction of the main character.

That may be IMO, but I suspect there are a few others around who would agree.

cheers.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #72
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly, I don't even bother comparing MOS's Box Office intake with a lot of the films that I've seen it piled against, namely because of the fact that a lot of the films that people have stacked it against are mainly sequels of established and popular franchises.

"Man of Steel" is meant to be the beginning of both Superman's own franchise and the launch pad for DC's new cinematic universe. "The Avengers" had 5 films established before it and was the cultivation of 4 years in the making. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are sequels to their respective characters and both came out, riding the success of the Avengers as well.

If I wanted to compare MOS with other comic book films based on BO intake in a fair basis, I'd do so with actual origin films..Thor 1, Iron man 1, Batman Begins, Hulk, Green Lantern, etc.

MOS, in terms of origin films for a comic book genre superhero, is the second highest grossing reboot film as far as I'm aware of, just behind "The Amazing Spider-Man", and third highest grossing for an origin film, with both TASM and the original Spider-Man film above it.

If anyone thought that Nolan's association with the character would instantly bring a billion dollars worth of revenue to the film, then they were truly kidding themselves.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #73
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Thor 2 On Track To Hammer Man of Steel At The Box Office?

An earlier tweet by Cosmic Book News EIC Matt McGloin read "Thor is the new Superman," and now the numbers might be supporting that.

Box Office Mojo has put together some estimates, and while Thor 2 is running behind Man of Steel domestically at the box office, it is hammering Superman internationally.

The Motely Fool, an investment website and content partner for USA Today, estimates that Thor 2 will end up close to the Man of Steel's final numbers (see chart below).

They have it that Thor 2 could finish with around $660 million worldwide, with Man of Steel having $663 million (which is actually less than the $700 million Warner Bros. hoped for and why some believe Batman was added to the mix).

Currently, Thor 2 has netted $147 million domestically after being open for ten days.

The same time period saw Man of Steel at a whopping $249 million in the U.S.

What's interesting about Man of Steel's numbers is that after ten days it only went on to make another $42 million ($291 total for U.S.), which possibly means the film had no staying power with some word-of-mouth reviews being so negative.

Fan thoughts on Thor 2, however, have been for the most part positive.

Another bonus for Thor 2 could be its staying power in movie theaters. For some reason, Man of Steel got yanked early - appearing only 98 days in theaters, which is actually less than the 2011 Thor movie. That 98 days for the Man of Steel is considerably less than any of The Dark Knight movies and is even less than Superman Returns. It's possible if Thor 2's numbers remain steady, it could overtake Man of Steel at the box office as it simply will be shown more.

Another interesting number: The foreign total for Man of Steel is $371,800,000. Thor 2 is currently sitting at $332,800,000.

Thor 2 is currently at $479,765,000 worldwide, which looks good for the possibility of a Thor 3 or a Loki spinoff movie.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...eel-box-office
That's just the thing about Thor:TDW, It's a good movie with little negatives and most of the negatives are just nitpicking. I'm hoping Thor:TDW does well at the box office. I'm sure it going to do better than MOS becasue MOS lost the family movie goers during that second week where as Thor:TDW won't/didn't.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #74
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
That's just the thing about Thor:TDW, It's a good movie with little negatives and most of the negatives are just nitpicking. I'm hoping Thor:TDW does well at the box office. I'm sure it going to do better than MOS becasue MOS lost the family movie goers during that second week where as Thor:TDW won't/didn't.
well, you ain't wrong. it isn't about good quality movie when it comes to box office. Thor 2 is just a fun movie that is much more appealing to the general public. although i loath it.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #75
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot777 View Post
I was disappointed with MOS when I first saw it.

But then the second time I saw it and then bought the DVD. I now get it!!!

This movie kills Thor which is also a good movie.

MOS is a really great movie. It's as good as Batman Begins.

The first Ironman started the Avengers Universe and MOS just started the JL Universe. MOS kills all the Ironman movies....so I say, the JL movie universe has a great start.
I had the same experience with Batman Begins. It not what I thought it should be and I didn't like it. After 2nd viewing I fell in love with the film.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote