Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #51
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I really wouldn't be too sure about that.. there's plenty of Mutant spin-off teams and individual mutants who could have solo films... it's actually pretty damn near infinite.

X-force, New Mutants, Excalibur (if they own them), Age of Apocalypse, X-factor, Young X-men, Deadpool, etc.........
They still have to make an X-men related film though, be it from a spin off title Like X-Factor or X-Force or an individual character movie (like Wolverine) etc. That's the point. They cannot leave Marvels mutants alone for an extended spell, they don't have that luxury.

They have to keep knocking something out within so many years or they lose them all for good.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #52
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
They still have to make an X-men related film though, be it from a spin off title Like X-Factor or X-Force or an individual character movie (like Wolverine) etc. That's the point. They cannot leave Marvels mutants alone for an extended spell, they don't have that luxury.

They have to keep knocking something out within so many years or they lose them all for good.
no they don't, as long as they're mutants... and a mutant character.. they can keep churning (every mutant in marvel has an X-relation)

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #53
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Now lets get into the rights. So they gotta keep making movies or lose the rights? So they are gonna make X-Men films forever?
If they want to keep the rights, then yes: Either an X-Men film or a directly X-Men related title within whatever the deal deadline is (which may be as much as 7 years, but no-one outside of the respective companies knows for sure). As long as Fox sticks to the deal it remains in force in 'perpetuity' (Sony have the same deal with Spider-man).

Quote:
There is a such thing as over saturation and too much of a good thing. This is where business and creativity don't mix.
Hollywood's history is a glaring example of a lack of creativity. The majority of films are sourced from novels, history, old myths, comic books, even video games. Sequels for popular franchises are rife...

And many stories have been retold over and over (Dracula, Frankenstein, Robin Hood etc), and sometimes competing studios have even put out the same 'public domain' story in the same year ('Wyatt Earp' and 'Tombstone', and Costner's 'Prince of thieves' had another Robin Hood out that year as well).

Business is always about making money first. If genuine creativity (and even better, originality) happens to occur at the same time with a film that's great, but give any studio the choice of guaranteed big money over 'creativity' or originality, they are gonna grab that cash every time. And every X-Men film owes its origins to the comic books. That's where the real creativity first came from.

The problem they will face with the X-Men is how much the various spin-offs they can milk might really be worth at the box office. That's where the over saturation could well be an issue for them, and why they may feel the need (should the spin offs do badly) to go back to the core X-Men and either keep going with them for as long as is feasible with the OT cast, or just start over.

But whatever the case, unless Disney at some point makes some really outrageous offer for the them (not likely) Fox will keep to the deal one way or another and they will keep the rights.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #54
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
no they don't, as long as they're mutants... and a mutant character.. they can keep churning (every mutant in marvel has an X-relation)
Huh Did you even read the post you responded to there or what?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #55
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
^ Great Post and Point

The problem i see with Rebooting, other than giving up the steller cast is that pretty much all other Reboots have come a good while after their predessors.

Batman rebooted after 8 years of absense. Captain America 21 years later, Superman 8 years later (if you count Returns) and Spider-Man 7 years after SM3. And outside of CBM all have been around a decade or more before reboots

Fox could only wait around 4 to 5 years max, which would be a bit soon imo.

I think a soft reboot that skews the FC cast into an alternate timeline would be best. Those are quite new actors to the role and were great in FC and would have freedom to re-introduce younger versions of the big characters which is essentially a reboot
The only issue I have with reboots is when they re-tread material that doesn't really need to be covered again. I've only really seen that once; in TASM. Now, I liked TASM much better than all previous Spidey films, but the one annoying thing to me was that they felt the need to re-do the origin story, and the origin wasn't different enough for me to feel that it really needed to be done.

MOS on the other hand, re-did an origin of Superman, but did it in a different way. We can argue all we want about which was better, but at the end of the day, they tried something different, and that's what is important to me with reboots: They have to bring something new. Otherwise I don't see the point.

But at the end of the day, as I've said before (and Danoyse has said as well) all that matters is that they make a good movie. That's all I want. If they keep making good movies, I don't care if they churn out 50 X-men films.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #56
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

In X related news.

http://whatculture.com/film/12-influ...ver-made.php/9

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #57
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
^ Great Post and Point

The problem i see with Rebooting, other than giving up the steller cast is that pretty much all other Reboots have come a good while after their predessors.

Batman rebooted after 8 years of absense. Captain America 21 years later, Superman 8 years later (if you count Returns) and Spider-Man 7 years after SM3. And outside of CBM all have been around a decade or more before reboots
Superman rebooted after 7 years and Spider-Man after 5. As for X-Men, I'm curious to know just how long Fox has between films before the rights revert back to Marvel. Fox waited 8 years between Daredevil related properties before finally relinquishing the rights last year (?), and it will be 8 years between Fantastic Four films if the reboot ever gets off the ground. Perhaps we're looking at a similar time frame with X-Men, though I can't imagine Fox sitting on the rights for as long as it did Daredevil and Fantastic Four.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #58
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I'd probably guess X-Men's time may be a bit longer. They are a far bigger franchise than both Daredevil and Fantastic Four.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #59
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Superman rebooted after 7 years and Spider-Man after 5. As for X-Men, I'm curious to know just how long Fox has between films before the rights revert back to Marvel. Fox waited 8 years between Daredevil related properties before finally relinquishing the rights last year (?), and it will be 8 years between Fantastic Four films if the reboot ever gets off the ground. Perhaps we're looking at a similar time frame with X-Men, though I can't see Fox just sitting on the rights for as long as it did Daredevil and Fantastic Four.
With Daredevil they tried a spin off and it bombed badly. With FF there isn't really any spin-off potential there (from reports the Surfer & Galactus are considered as a separate deal, though I stand to be corrected on that if anyone has better info).

With X-Men though Fox can extend the rights with any X-Men related title. 'The Wolverine' reset the timer for example. A Deadpool flick in between an X-Men film would that too. As would X-Force, X-Factor etc. The list of mutant characters or mutant books to play with is rather extensive.

And Fox do have the movie rights to all of Marvels mutants with (afaik) just a couple of overlaps (Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch).

Edit: There is one exception in Namor.

Last edited by wobbly; 11-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #60
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I'd probably guess X-Men's time may be a bit longer. They are a far bigger franchise than both Daredevil and Fantastic Four.
I'd have thought it might be less because of that? The bigger the title the less time Marvel would be willing to let a studio sit on it?

Might explain why Fox has delivered an X-Men related film every few years since 2000 (never been more than 3 years between them).

Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #61
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
With Daredevil they tried a spin off and it bombed badly. With FF there isn't really any spin-off potential there (from reports the Surfer & Galactus are considered as a separate deal, though I stand to be corrected on that if anyone has better info).

With X-Men though Fox can extend the rights with any X-Men related title. 'The Wolverine' reset the timer for example. A Deadpool flick in between an X-Men film would that too. As would X-Force, X-Factor etc. The list of mutant characters or mutant books to play with is rather extensive.

And Fox do have the movie rights to all of Marvels mutants with (afaik) just a couple of overlaps (Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch).

Edit: There is one exception in Namor.
Yes, I know, which makes me wonder if Fox has considered making a spin-off featuring a lesser known character or team just to give the core films a rest between the current franchise and a potential reboot.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
I'd have thought it might be less because of that? The bigger the title the less time Marvel would be willing to let a studio sit on it?

Might explain why Fox has delivered an X-Men related film every few years since 2000 (never been more than 3 years between them).
Could be.

I was thinking from a standpoint that it probably takes longer for an X-Men movie to go through the entire production process from conception to release, so it may have a longer time frame than say Daredevil or FF.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #63
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Yes, I know, which makes me wonder if Fox has considered making a spin-off featuring a lesser known character or team just to give the core films a rest between the current franchise and a potential reboot.
Certainly Possible.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #64
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
That would be a very smart way to handle the reboot. It gives the characters rest between their last and a new canon.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #65
BMM
Side-Kick

And may give the studio more time to better plan ahead.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #66
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
yeah... from what i've gathered... more people still like the OT cast over First Class... outside these fanboy bubbles First Class really isn't anywhere near as popularly celebrated as the OT films...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
That's not true AT ALL in my neck of the woods. None of my friends (nor my parents for that matter) are X-junkies like me, and they are way more excited for DOFP than the last three films because of the original cast coming back. They all seem to agree that FOX shouldn't do anymore prequels.

I certainly don't speak for everyone, but there certainly are general filmgoers clamoring for the return of the OT cast.
I feel the same way. And I don't think there would have been a big buzz for this 2014 X-Men movie right now if it wasn't for the return of the OT cast.

I mean, would the mainstream viewers will really go crazy or talk about when they see the younger version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm over the return of the familiar faces that we already saw in the 1st three movies?

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 11-14-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #67
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And I don't think there would have been a big buzz for this 2014 X-Men movie right now if it wasn't for the return of the OT cast.
Yes of course. Its all about the OT cast.

Quote:
I mean, would mainstream viewers will really go crazy when they see the younger version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm over the return of the familiar faces that we already saw in the 1st three movies?
Who would be "going crazy" over the familiar faces of Cyclops/Jean/Storm aka Wolverine's sidekicks?

Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 AM   #68
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

People are actually excited for the return of the older Professor X, Rogue, older Magneto, Iceman, Colossus, Storm and Shadowcat. They may look like sidekicks to you, but they are part of the big buzz that is surrounding the film. And if ever Cyclops and Jean Grey (of the OT) appeared in DOFp for some reason, that would be very memorable to viewers and I expect people to ask more from those two and not their younger version.

And I'm not saying its all about the OT cast. But majority of the buzz are coming from them. Even if its just Patrick Stewart/Ian Mckellen, they are still part of the OT cast.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #69
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And if ever Cyclops and Jean Grey (of the OT) appeared in DOFp for some reason, that would be very memorable to viewers and I expect people to ask more from those two and not their younger version.
I don't see anyone expecting much from them as long as Wolverine is still around. Plus Famke Janssen will be approaching mid 50s by the time a hypothetical sequel comes out. As far as potential younger versions go, who knows what we could expect from them. They'd have a blank slate to work with and no Wolverine eating up attention. Sounds appealing to me.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #70
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whoa who's being rude? I gave him the courtesy of a well thought out post to explain my stance and why I hate reboots and I'm being accused of being rude? My "rattling off" comment was about him naming a bunch of old movies that have been remade, it wasn't being rude towards his lengthy post.
You didn't give him any courtesies. You talked about him in the third person like he wasn't there and said he was "rattling off", implying that what he was saying was not worthwhile. Sorry, Nell, that is being rude.

Quote:
As for that kid born in 2002, why is it so hard for that kid to pick up the dvd and watch that? Plenty of movies were made before I was born. That doesn't stop me from watching them.

And 6 of 7 movies still came out during that kid's lifetime.
Yes, the kid can pick up the DVDs. Or a studio could make a new movie that he can enjoy. Two possibilities, one no better than the other. All I'm saying is not everyone wants the same thing and most of us can acknowledge that without getting obsessive over it or immediately writing off one option as lacking credibility.

Last edited by josh8; 11-14-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #71
kasjan
Side-Kick

Which year USA army back from Vietnam, 1972 or later?

Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #72
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
There's lots of comics that are far more popular than X-Men that haven't spawned nearly as many movies as people want from X-Men. And I would agree with you that there are more stories to tell, and I have admittedly changed my tune on that. I used to think that the series should wrap up in a nice neat little trilogy package but I have seen that I am wrong in that regard. And there's definitely more that can be told. But I would disagree with you in one regard and that is that not every comic story needs to be adapted to film. Not every comic story is very good. I've read some great ones, I've read some poor ones, and even some of the good stories wouldn't make fir a good movie. There's no reason to adapt every single comic run ever.

But I definitely agree there's enough more material that deserves to be represented in the movie verse to make up another couple few movies. And a reboot isn't needed to do it either.

We already have our recast with First class. They are still under contract. We still have access to the main trilogy cast. And there are still a lot of characters to introduce.

I'd do a 3rd First Class based on the mutant massacre, include Sinister, and then use that introduction to Sinister to make an Age of Apocalypse movie post-Days Of Future Past. And with the age of Stewart and McKellan, they could even lead into an Onslaught style story to justify recasting them as well.

That just gave us 3 more movies without a reboot. Plus a Wolverine 3 is 4. That's an 11 movie series right there. Plus the potential X-Force spinoff.
Well, that sounds reasonable enough - and a good use of both existing casts. That's the most flexible you've been on here lately regarding the X-Men films continuing...lol

I have to say that I'm not opposed to further X-Men movies as long as they are good - and as long as they keep continuity as part of an overarching saga. I'm also not opposed to an eventual reboot as long as it can find a fresh way to present the X-Men on screen. That shouldn't be too difficult considering how different some portrayals are from the original source.

Fox is going to carry on making these movies in order to retain the rights, and because they are running a business to make money. If you don't like the idea, or the trailers for the resulting movies, then you have the choice not to see them.

My hope is that they really begin to value the concept of a 'movieverse' with continuity and connectivity rather than the somewhat piecemeal approach that has occurred in the past. A friend of mine remarked that the X-Men films were 'not a franchise' because they are made one at a time, depending on box office success. Unlike Marvel Studios, there does not appear to be a grand overall vision that they weave stories around.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #73
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
You didn't give him any courtesies. You talked about him in the third person like he wasn't there and said he was "rattling off", implying that what he was saying was not worthwhile. Sorry, Nell, that is being rude.
That is not what I was implying at all, please don't impose meaning upon my words that isn't there.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #74
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Infer.

You've made clear your supposed hatred for drama here through your countless meltdowns, yet, on the other hand, it seems your favorite forum past-time is being the most dramatic two-faced person here. Pick up some Prozac, a real hobby and a life.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #75
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

That works too

Closed Thread