The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #101
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: "Joyless" ?

Honestly, if MoS was more Thor 2 like in its delivery, I think you're looking at a more watchable and enjoyable movie, in spite of its flaws. Those two film share similar issues in their execution and delivery, the difference is one film doesn't take itself as seriously.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #102
sf2
Side-Kick

Oh man,Thor 2 is poor / bad !!! N Natalie Portman is totally wasted. One of her worst performance. Thor is lame. N Loki got the joker treatment.

Damn, people only looking for cheap n fun movies these days, r they?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #103
third
Banned User

one thing i noticed was how terrible the transitions from one scene to another were - for example: when clark rescues the oil guys and is in the water looking at 2 whales - amazing - but then awkwardly change the music into this guitary folky music with cavill stealing clothes haha (which was acted out so damn seriously haha ) I think I only recall one bit where there seems to be a smooth transition, ugh and that last fight - blech

third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #104
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Everything about how thew handled things in MOS as opposed to what I have been getting in super hero movies these past ten years gave me great joy. I didn't find the transitions jarring in the least.

And that end battle is superior to all the MARVEL STUDIOS final acts save for AVENGERS to my eyes. SPIDER-MAN, IM1, X-MEN1&2, INCREDIBLE HULK, THE FIRST AVENGER, THOR. All films I like and all films that have endings I feel that are either abrupt, lackluster or underselling the power levels of their heroes. Some of them are all three. I can't make that complaint about what Snyder delivered in MAN OF STEEL.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #105
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by third View Post
one thing i noticed was how terrible the transitions from one scene to another were - for example: when clark rescues the oil guys and is in the water looking at 2 whales - amazing - but then awkwardly change the music into this guitary folky music with cavill stealing clothes haha (which was acted out so damn seriously haha ) I think I only recall one bit where there seems to be a smooth transition, ugh and that last fight - blech
I noticed the transitions too. But a lot of films, I feel are like that. Gotta turn the page at some point.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #106
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

I find it a bit of a pity that MOS seemingly has less moments of levity than any of the films in the Dark Knight trilogy. Although some people seem to believe "humor = inferior," I believe MOS2 should definitely feel closer to, say, a Thor, rather than a Dark Knight. There could also be plenty of amusing moments derived from the Batman-Superman dynamic.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #107
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Honestly, if MoS was more Thor 2 like in its delivery, I think you're looking at a more watchable and enjoyable movie, in spite of its flaws. Those two film share similar issues in their execution and delivery, the difference is one film doesn't take itself as seriously.
I see them as opposites in terms of tone. MOS tried to be oh so tragic and dark while Thor 2 tried to spend as much time as possible in brainless comedy. But in terms of action execution, Thor 2 wins.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #108
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
I find it a bit of a pity that MOS seemingly has less moments of levity than any of the films in the Dark Knight trilogy. Although some people seem to believe "humor = inferior," I believe MOS2 should definitely feel closer to, say, a Thor, rather than a Dark Knight. There could also be plenty of amusing moments derived from the Batman-Superman dynamic.
I prefer closer to the Dark Knight movies. At least we get some stimulating conversation with substantive subject matters.

What did we really take away from Thor, Iron Man 3. Those films do not have the lasting impact Nolan's Batman and Snyder's Superman does.

You may not "like" Man of Steel, but its a provocative film, the actions, the decisions, were very large in scope and in tone.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #109
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

So I saw MOS again, for the second time. It's still my fave Supe movie, but yeah, I think it was just that bit too much on the serious side.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #110
Adamantium
Your King

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and have there own tastes. But with the criticism of MOS, I'm just flat out confused if we are even watching the same movie. But hey, you know what, to each his own. MOS is my favorite CB movie of all time. The movie and the music has just done a number on me, and I am in love with this movie.

I've even been pulled into partially seeing what some have called flaws and pondered them and then stop and tell myself...nope, they ain't bringing me down. There is nothing wrong with this movie in my opinion. I even love MARVEL more than DC, but more so because I'm just not that educated on DC characters.

So let the mix continue....

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #111
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I prefer closer to the Dark Knight movies. At least we get some stimulating conversation with substantive subject matters.

What did we really take away from Thor, Iron Man 3. Those films do not have the lasting impact Nolan's Batman and Snyder's Superman does.

You may not "like" Man of Steel, but its a provocative film, the actions, the decisions, were very large in scope and in tone.
While I agree in general terms about some Marvel movies being all visual spectacle, I'd wait a few years before talking of "Snyder's Superman lasting impact." It's way too soon to assess its impact as lasting.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #112
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

I liked Man of Steel. I just thought, among other things, it was too dour for a Superman film. Especially if the sequels are gonna go the typical Darker & Edgier route.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #113
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
While I agree in general terms about some Marvel movies being all visual spectacle, I'd wait a few years before talking of "Snyder's Superman lasting impact." It's way too soon to assess its impact as lasting.
The impact that I meant was conversation. Great issues to debate with. Thought provoking.

I'm talking about the impact right after the movie. Nolan Batman in TDK and Begins just had great themes and great issues to talk about.

I don't think MOS was as good as those films but for me they all left me thinking about the issues the films bring up.

I felt the first Iron man did that as well with its issues of terrorist and whether they got help from the US (public or private entities).

As far as the legacy of MOS, your right, it's too soon.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #114
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
I liked Man of Steel. I just thought, among other things, it was too dour for a Superman film. Especially if the sequels are gonna go the typical Darker & Edgier route.
Did you watch the live fan event promoting the Blu-Ray? Snyder said more than anything, this was a science fiction movie above all because not only is this an origin story, this is a Krypton AND alien-invasion story with Superman smack dab in the middle. Snyder wanted to get to the point of Superman being alien and the things that needed to be explored about the character that we have never even givin thought to, as Snyder said "When people think of Superman, chances are nobody ever thinks 'alien'" so when you say it was "too dour for a Superman film" then you are basically proving Snyder's point of the Superman flick he made, which is exactly what he wants to hear. Some people may have been turned off by this direction, but it's the way it's supposed to be.

So much is still untapped. It's an origin afterall with a continued universe. Superman was Superman for a whole 5 minutes. Lets give it a shot to play out and maybe one day the people who felt the disappointment in MOS will look back and say "Hey, NOW MOS makes sense..."

I'm totally onboard and geeked out. This is the Superman I've wanted for a very, very long time.