The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #176
Frico
Live by the creed

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 3

Match point for Nole after he charges into the net and Rafa has no answer.

Rafa saves match point after thumping a backhand down the line and Novak hits the ball out. Deuce.

Rafa with game point now after Nole misses the serve return.

Huge forehand from Rafa in the corner gives him the game.

5-4. Nole serves for the championship.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #177
Bim
Side-Kick

My god . As horrible and nerwrecking as it is watching a game between these two, it's even worse not been able to watch it beyond a live score report lol. It's easier when i'm seeing Rafa play against a guy i hate, so in a way i'm kinda glad i cant watch

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #178
Frico
Live by the creed

Haha.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #179
Frico
Live by the creed

Rafa's slice floats out. 15-0.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #180
Frico
Live by the creed

HUGE serve gives Nole the easy backhand putaway. 30-0.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #181
Frico
Live by the creed

Amazing crosscourt pass from Rafa after Nole tries to go up to net. 30-15

Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #182
Bim
Side-Kick

Match point for Novak!

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #183
Frico
Live by the creed

Nadal charges to net after an extended rally putting the volley away. 30-30.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #184
Frico
Live by the creed

Second match point for Nole after a big ace up the T. Lets out a roar.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #185
Bim
Side-Kick

... and Novak wins it!

Sounds like he was the better player today, so rightfully deserved. Better luck to Rafa next time around, but at least he has the #1 raking to soothe him lol. It should be very interesting to see what happens next year, since Novak definitely has the momentum going.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #186
Frico
Live by the creed

Game. Set. Defending champion Novak Djokovic. Rafa sprays a forehand wide giving Novak the match. His forehand killed him today.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #187
Frico
Live by the creed

"That's ok, Rafa. You take New York. I'll take Asia, Paris and London." - Novak

Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #188
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
"That's ok, Rafa. You take New York. I'll take Asia, Paris and London." - Novak
I get the feeling this is the one Novak really wants now, and of course i'm talking about the one and only Roland Garros, Rafa's baby

Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #189
Frico
Live by the creed

Despite the rankings - Novak is without a doubt the best player in the world right now. The streak lives. Played brilliantly from the start. Rafa just had no solid response and it's the most I've seen him miss forehands all year. Way too many.

Novak started the year on a roll and ended it on a high. Watch out 2014.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #190
Frico
Live by the creed

Czechmate as Radek Stepanek nabs the Davis Cup AGAIN for his team and country and thus the Czechs defend their DC crown. Last year Radek was the Davis Cup hero - this year the same story after Novak tied the final by taking out Berdych in straights. 23 year old Lajovic just couldn't get it together, winning only 5 games against Stepanek. Yet another story of youth vs experience.

Novak ends the year with a 24 match win streak. Amazing.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #191
Christopher11
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Czechmate as Radek Stepanek nabs the Davis Cup AGAIN for his team and country and thus the Czechs defend their DC crown. Last year Radek was the Davis Cup hero - this year the same story after Novak tied the final by taking out Berdych in straights. 23 year old Lajovic just couldn't get it together, winning only 5 games against Stepanek. Yet another story of youth vs experience.

Novak ends the year with a 24 match win streak. Amazing.
Stepanek didn't have a good time in London but this Davis cup performance will surely provide him lots of confidence to go into the next season. For me, he has couple of years left in him to play singles at the highest level and he can easily play doubles till 2020.

Christopher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #192
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
I saw that match. Lajovic was outmatched, he just had no answer. Stepanek was solid.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #193
Frico
Live by the creed

Rafa announced that he'll play Miami next year.

And we're only a few weeks away from live tennis!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #194
Frico
Live by the creed

Sad news for Nadia Petrova as her mother died in a car crash yesterday.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #195
Frico
Live by the creed

Kei Nishikori has made a really good move/hire for the new year by adding Michael Chang to his team:

Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #196
Frico
Live by the creed

Holy crap. This hire is no DJOKE!
Quote:
MONACO (AP)—Novak Djokovic says tennis great Boris Becker has joined his coaching staff for next season. Djokovic has hired the Hall of Famer as his head coach.
The 46-year-old Becker, a six-time Grand Slam champion, will travel with Djokovic and other coaches to tournaments, including next month's Australian Open. Becker will also accompany Djokovic to Dubai, Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, the U.S. Open, Shanghai, Paris and London.

“I am proud Novak invited me to become his head coach. I will do my best to help him reach his goals, and I am sure we can achieve great things together,” Becker said in a statement.

Marian Vajda, Djokovic's long-time coach, will continue working with the Australian Open champion's team, and the Slovak will accompany Serbian player in Indian Wells, Madrid, Toronto and Beijing.

“I am really excited to have the opportunity to work with Boris. He is a true legend, someone who has great tennis knowledge and his experience will help me win new trophies from the Grand Slams and other tournaments," Djokovic said in a statement posted on his website. "Becker is a great person, too, and I am sure he will fit in our team in the best possible way. Boris brings new fresh approach, and together with Vajda he will make a winning combination. My goal for 2014 is to play my best tennis and to get in shape for the Grand Slams and Masters 1000. These tournaments have the most weight in our sport, and I want to prove my worth at them. The team is now strengthened and we hope for maximum results.”

Djokovic won his fourth Australian Open title last year and finished the 2013 season ranked No. 2 in the world behind Rafael Nadal.

“In a few weeks Novak and I will start the eight year of our cooperation," Vajda said in a statement. "During that period we have achieved almost all the goals we had. I realized that Novak nedeed a new head coach in order for him to continue improving certain parts of the game. In the same time, I will have more time for my family. Becker’s assignment will not affect much my position in the team, since I will do all I can for Novak, just like I did before. On the other hand, choosing Boris as a head coach is a good solution, I am sure we will get along very well, and that Novak will continue to progress.”
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UrIfkBjTlMs

Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #197
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Federer is getting Edberg to work with him ten weeks out of 2014. Not sure how that will help him. Who knows what kind of influence Edberg will have, but if Federer wants to be even more aggressive, then Edberg fits the bill. Seems like he just wants to work with a childhood hero while he is still active.

The game just doesn't suit aggressive play anymore, especially inconsistent 32 year olds. The serve and return, to me, were Federer's big problem areas last year. More suicide net charges aren't going to make a return to glory.

I really don't know how I feel about Djokovic hiring Becker. I'm of three different minds on it

Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #198
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

All of this tells me that it's another feather in Nadal's cap that he has had the same coach since childhood, and through injury and slumps he always stayed true to that coach and I don't think I've ever seen someone develop and adapt as a pro player more than Nadal. And he keeps on changing it up and growing.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #199
Frico
Live by the creed

Good to see you back Saku - new year around the corner!

Novak three peated in Abu Dhabi with a 7-5 6-3 win over Ferrer (who took out Nadal 6-4 6-4)

Azarenka beat Serena 7-5 6-3 in an exo match in Thailand.

Team Canada beat Team Aussie in the opening of Hopman Cup with Raonic going over Tomic and Bouchard beating Stosur.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #200
Bim
Side-Kick

Australian Open draw announced! Rafa definitely has the tougher road and Novak the easiest one: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Rafa starts with Tomic (the match of the first round imo), then has either Thanasi Kokkinakis or Igor Sijsling, after that Gael Monfils is the likely third round opponent. Kei Nishikori could be Nadal’s 4th round opponent, and then he could clash with Juan Martin del Potro in the quarterfinals and Andy Murray in the semifinals should he make it that far.

On the other hand Novak starts off with Lukas Lacko in the first round. Then his projected clashes from the Round of 16 onwards are Fabio Fognini, Stanislas Wawrinka in the quarterfinals, David Ferrer in the semifinals and Nadal in the final. Just hand Novak the trophy already

Murray starts off with Go Soeda and after could get Federer and Isner on the 4th round. Ferrer gets Berdych. Federer opens round 1 against a wildcard, but has also Tsonga possibly in the 4th round.

Raonic is in Del Potro's path in the 4th round, that would be a heck of a match.

Those are the main possibilities i see right now, will have to check out the draw more calmy to see what possibilities there are.