Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #176
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I loved Lois in this film, in general.

They made her smart, capable, intelligent, strong. This is a Lois who is worthy of Superman's attention and love.

The best part about her is that she doesn't just care about Superman, or Clark -- she cares about all of him. She knows his secret, and is protective about it. I love, love, love that.
Agreed.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #177
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Hey I didn't get the momma whale and baby whale = Martha and Clark. Don't know why. Also quick question, did Martha know it was his hearing that was causing little Clark to panic?
I also loved that this movie is so full of hero's the more I watch it the more I see. The captain if the fishing boat who as soon as he heard the rig needed help immediately set off for it. The helicopter rescuers who landed on that inferno to save the last of the survivors and then were waitin for Clark until they saw him hold up the beam, scienste, Perry, the military... Movie really resurrects your hope in humanity.

I also liked the evolution of Lois and Hardy. It really stood out when Faora wanted to take her and he was like he11 to the naw! Not for any romantic reason but just a soldier protecting a civilian. And I might be wrong about this but when they showed up to take her in for interrogation it looked like he was reluctant.
Either was Meloni was awesome in this film.

Last edited by Szetsilya; 08-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #178
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Hey I didn't get the momma whale and baby whale = Martha and Clark. Don't know why. Also quick question, did Martha know it was his hearing that was causing little Clark to panic?
I also loved that this movie is so full of hero's the more I watch it the more I see. The captain if the fishing boat who as soon as he heard the rig needed help immediately set off for it. The helicopter rescuers who landed on that inferno to save the last of the survivors and then were waitin for Clark until they saw him hold up the beam, scienste, Perry, the military... Movie really resurrects your hope in humanity.

I also liked the evolution of Lois and Hardy. It really stood out when Faora wanted to take her and he was like he11 to the naw! Not for any romantic reason but just a soldier protecting a civilian. And I might be wrong about this but when they showed up to take her in for interrogation it looked like he was reluctant.
Either was Meloni was awesome in this film.
The bolded part. There are lots of moments of big heroics, and lots of smaller heroics.

There's so many it's hard to keep track of them, but:

-Jor-El
-Lara
-One of the fishing guys who pushed Clark out of the way of the falling cage
-The ship's captain, who went towards the doomed oil rig to help any way he could
-The helicopter pilot
-Martha
-Jonathan

And that's just the first what, half hour of the film? All the soldiers being brave, Dr. Hamilton, Lois, of course Superman, the nameless police officer desperately trying to direct people to safety....

It's so incredible.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #179
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I guess you could add Lana and Pete... Lana stopping Pete from bothering Clark and Pete helping Clark up after that bullying ordeal...maybe that's not so much a heroic effort but I think for him it was considering how he was before Clark saved him....

Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #180
Neonzel
Side-Kick

I was wondering, in the film when Superman says he hasn't infected anyone and the General responds with "That you know of"(or something like that). Was that a reference to Meta-humans?

Neonzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #181
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzel View Post
I was wondering, in the film when Superman says he hasn't infected anyone and the General responds with "That you know of"(or something like that). Was that a reference to Meta-humans?
I figured he meant something lethal, like a Kryptonian super-flu. But that might be an interesting way of introducing metahumans too. Isn't one of the theories behind Spider-Man's powers that the spider bite infected him with some sort of retrovirus that contained spider dna?

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 08-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #182
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzel View Post
Interesting. Why did they put in the lines... hmmm... could be something.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #183
JaD
Thriller Night

I just finished my second viewing and noticed something I never saw before and thought it was pretty fun. When Supes flies up to the construction site looking for Zod there's a "This Job Has Worked 106 Days Without An Incident" poster behind him. When Zod cracks Superman with the pillar he knocks him into the poster knocking the 1 and 6 off of it, resetting it to "0 Days Without Incident" I don't know how I missed it before because it's in plain sight but thought that was great.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #184
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

My favourite "little thing" is by far the references to the iconic superman covers when Superman flies for the first time. You have Birthright, All Star Superman !! I get a slight orgasm every time i watch this scene.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #185
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
My favourite "little thing" is by far the references to the iconic superman covers when Superman flies for the first time. You have Birthright, All Star Superman !! I get a slight orgasm every time i watch this scene.
My favorite scene by far!!!!

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #186
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

My favourites have been mentioned already, but I also loved when a pissed off Martha Kent, who's actually totally helpless, just sneezed at a buncha armed military deadly Kryptonian mofos with superpowers: "Go to Hell!"

And of course seconds afterwards: "You dare to threaten my mother!?" That was awesome too.

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #187
Rephe
Side-Kick

One of the little things I always chuckle at watching this is when Superman's in the interrogation room and Dr. Hamilton shows up.

"Sir? I'm--"
"Emil Hamilton. Yes, I can see your ID Card in your left pocket... along with a half eaten roll of wintergreen live savers."

And just that little bit that Dr. Hamilton does there just makes me think his character had lost them at some point, so he grabs that pocket like, "Oh, there they are!"

EDIT --

Also, during the Smallville fight, while Faora is closing in on Hardy, while Kal is fighting Nam-Ek, you can see the army guys behind them just spraying both of them with bullets and neither one of them even cares.

EDIT --

Also:

Zod : "Ship, have you managed to quarantine this invasive intelligence?"
Jor-El : "It failed."
Scout Ship : "I have."

Last edited by Rephe; 10-19-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Rephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #188
kalelvis
Side-Kick

The blu ray sure opens the door to finding new "little things" to like about the film. I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but when superman catches the soldier who falls out of the helicopter he does a complete in air somersault to absorb the momentum from the fall. The scene was always cool but was hard to make out but in slowmo you can clearly see Superman go head over heals to catch the soldier.

Awesome stuff. Anyone else notice any cool little things with the bluray that you missed in your theatre viewing?

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #189
moviedoors
Side-Kick

When that big-ass Kryptonian leaps onto the fighter jet, he doesn't just destroy the plane, he grabs the pilot and rips his head off. That dude's head flies right off in a big 'ol spurt of blood.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #190
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Things I appreciated...

They did justice to Lo-lo. I was going to be super pissed if they screwed her up. I also appreciate they went heavy with the action. No one should have a problem with that. I also really liked that you could tell some shots were designed to look like certain comic panels. I felt like I had deja vu watching this movie for the first time because some of the scenes were so familiar looking.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #191
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

One of the things I appreciated the most was the little shout out to C. Reeve. I got tears in my eyes when I saw his face.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #192
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
The blu ray sure opens the door to finding new "little things" to like about the film. I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but when superman catches the soldier who falls out of the helicopter he does a complete in air somersault to absorb the momentum from the fall. The scene was always cool but was hard to make out but in slowmo you can clearly see Superman go head over heals to catch the soldier.

Awesome stuff. Anyone else notice any cool little things with the bluray that you missed in your theatre viewing?
That's a nice find about the somersault. I just watched the scene myself and slowed it down. Snyder needs to bring back his slo-mo shots.

The scene when Superman escaped the collapsing building in Metropolis, I couldn't tell initially but the debris really does clip his flight and causes him spiral out of control into the streets.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #193
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
That's a nice find about the somersault. I just watched the scene myself and slowed it down. Snyder needs to bring back his slo-mo shots.

The scene when Superman escaped the collapsing building in Metropolis, I couldn't tell initially but the debris really does clip his flight and causes him spiral out of control into the streets.
Yeah, I was actually wondering at first on why Superman was suddenly falling onto the streets as though he were slammed into it and it was only until I saw the Blu-Ray that I realized that it was because of the debris as well.

I was also surprised to find out on how a lot of the shots that I thought were CGI models of the actors, due to how complicated the movements looked for the characters, were actually the actors themselves.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #194
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Wow I was wondering that as well, I just assumed that Zod had knocked him down

Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #195
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I was also surprised to find out on how a lot of the shots that I thought were CGI models of the actors, due to how complicated the movements looked for the characters, were actually the actors themselves.
I noticed that as well. I was surprised at the moments I thought had bad CGI modelling, only to see that in the documentary, it was the actors that had done the stunts.

Really made me enjoy the scenes that much more.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #196
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Just watched my B-R, and there are so many things I loved (quite a few couldn't be qualified as ''little things''):

-Everything about Krypton; it's so beautiful
- Jor-El
- The ''girls'', specially Lois, Lara and Faora
- The cinematography, which is gorgeous and so much different from the generic look of most CBMs, imo
- The fact that it's, at heart, a Sci-Fi movie
- How Godlike the kryptonians are
- Superman's badass attitude towards the military
- The costume (one of the best ever, imho)
- The fact that we've finally seen an world level threat in modern CBM.

I guess that's it, for now.

Kryptonian Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #197
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

This scene was not there in the movie !

I was looking forward to this scene in the movie but apparently Snyder cut it.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #198
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Titan View Post
Just watched my B-R, and there are so many things I loved (quite a few couldn't be qualified as ''little things''):

-Everything about Krypton; it's so beautiful
- Jor-El
- The ''girls'', specially Lois, Lara and Faora
- The cinematography, which is gorgeous and so much different from the generic look of most CBMs, imo
- The fact that it's, at heart, a Sci-Fi movie
- How Godlike the kryptonians are
- Superman's badass attitude towards the military
- The costume (one of the best ever, imho)
- The fact that we've finally seen an world level threat in modern CBM.

I guess that's it, for now.
I think that's the number 1 thing I loved about this movie. Goyer and Snyder went for broke in this and didn't hold back. This is the most epic action I've seen in any superhero movie and made the Avengers' Battle of New York look like kindergarten. It's for this reason that I am TREMENDOUSLY looking forward to Supes and Batman's showdown in the sequel.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #199
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I think that's the number 1 thing I loved about this movie. Goyer and Snyder went for broke in this and didn't hold back. This is the most epic action I've seen in any superhero movie and made the Avengers' Battle of New York look like kindergarten. It's for this reason that I am TREMENDOUSLY looking forward to Supes and Batman's showdown in the sequel.
Exactly.

Btw, one more thing I loved: the end scene.

Kryptonian Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #200
kguillou
Side-Kick

"Welcome to the planet, Clark"

"Happy to be here." *smiles*

Such a perfect way to end the film and basically sums up everything in two sentences.

Another thing I liked: Hans Zimmer's score. Soooo good. I know people are mixed on zimmer but man can he orchestrate a heart thumping theme. I must have listened to "What are you going to do when you are not saving the world" close to a hundred times since the movie came out. Its maybe my favorite superhero theme next to Elfman's Batman theme.

Last edited by kguillou; 11-20-2013 at 10:44 AM.
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote