The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

I seriously doubt that Affleck was Snyder's choice. WB has a good relationship with Affleck and they wanted a big star for the role and he wanted to get more funding for his films so here we are. I'm still all for giving him a shot but there are moments when I think, why couldn't you have gotten someone else Warners? I never wanted Brolin for the role so not him either.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
HUMANIMAL

who was your choice then?

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Old 11-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
All this talk about Affleck performances makes me want to watch arguably his best performance and that's in Chasing Amy.
Word. But Humanimal seems to be looking for a movie where Ben Affleck played Batman before to prove he can play Batman.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I seriously doubt that Affleck was Snyder's choice. WB has a good relationship with Affleck and they wanted a big star for the role and he wanted to get more funding for his films so here we are. I'm still all for giving him a shot but there are moments when I think, why couldn't you have gotten someone else Warners? I never wanted Brolin for the role so not him either.
According to an article I read earlier he was... I still don't get it, but hey...I guess.

I'm in a holding pattern. I thought MOS would likely not be good and it was when I was in my last holding pattern, so I think this might be my good luck when it comes to WB movies.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
his other choice for superman was joe maganiello, so it wouldn't shock me at all if it was between brolin and affleck. for this current incarnation of bats that they want, they needed a guy in that age range, and in hollywood the slims are picking. either you go with the better actor in brolin, or you go with the guy who brings a whole other list of pluses, in affleck. availability is also a factor in casting films.

if i remember correctly, nolan actually wanted affleck to direct man of steel, so he's probably the guy they've wanted to lead the dccu.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
his other choice for superman was joe maganiello, so it wouldn't shock me at all if it was between brolin and affleck. for this current incarnation of bats that they want, they needed a guy in that age range, and in hollywood the slims are picking. either you go with the better actor in brolin, or you go with the guy who brings a whole other list of pluses, in affleck. availability is also a factor in casting films.

if i remember correctly, nolan actually wanted affleck to direct man of steel, so he's probably the guy they've wanted to lead the dccu.
Too much...

What other pluses does he bring? I'm a bit confused on this.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #32
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Creative input for starters.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #33
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
1. That A lister box office draw (Granted it's a Superman/Batman film so this one doesn't really matter)

2. Considering he is playing Batman that opens up the door for him to actually direct the next Batman film...or maybe even the Justice League film. Say what you want about his acting but the guy really is an amazing director and I would love him to direct a Batman flick even if it means him playing Batman as well.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

I would love for him to direct the next slate of Batman films. Definitely would not be a step down from Chris Nolan in the slightest.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Plus the curiosity factor. Had Brolin been cast, there wouldn't be nearly as much buzz going into his performance; a big reason why I didn't want him, although he is objectively the better fit.

People are actively tuning into this production, which will only help once the hype train gets rolling.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #36
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Too much...

What other pluses does he bring? I'm a bit confused on this.
you seem pretty familiar with him given your apprehension about him in the role, so what's to be confused about? he's won an oscar for writing and an oscar for filmmaking. +. +.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #37
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
1. That A lister box office draw (Granted it's a Superman/Batman film so this one doesn't really matter)

2. Considering he is playing Batman that opens up the door for him to actually direct the next Batman film...or maybe even the Justice League film. Say what you want about his acting but the guy really is an amazing director and I would love him to direct a Batman flick even if it means him playing Batman as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Plus the curiosity factor. Had Brolin been cast, there wouldn't be nearly as much buzz going into his performance; a big reason why I didn't want him, although he is objectively the better fit.

People are actively tuning into this production, which will only help once the hype train gets rolling.
Okay...I guess. I do think he can direct. The Town is one of the best films I've seen, but it's a blatant rip from Heat....so

Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #38
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:

Agreed completely. You know what they say: any press is good press. All eyes are on BvS at the moment.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #39
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
you seem pretty familiar with him given your apprehension about him in the role, so what's to be confused about? he's won an oscar for writing and an oscar for filmmaking. +. +.
I don't think he has the nuance to play Batman or Bruce to be honest. Yes, he can do those other things, but his acting is still in question.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Josh Brolin would have been awesome. I was all for him when he was one of the rumored actors they were considering. But I am happy with Affleck still. I was admittedly shocked and didn't know what to think once the news broke about him playing Batman but that quickly wore off and I think he will do just fine.

And the film doesn't really need any buzz or draw though. Like I said just people knowing there is going to be a film with Batman and Superman in it together is enough to make people curious. Lol.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #41
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Okay...I guess. I do think he can direct. The Town is one of the best films I've seen, but it's a blatant rip from Heat....so
Have you not seen Argo (I will admit I do think it is overrated and shouldn't have won best picture but it is still very good) or Gone Baby Gone? Gone Baby Gone might be one of the best films I have seen in the past 5-6 years.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #42
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Well truthfully....lol...I hope his acting comes through like it always does in this film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
Have you not seen Argo (I will admit I do think it is overrated and shouldn't have won best picture but it is still very good) or Gone Baby Gone? Gone Baby Gone migh be one of the best films I have seen in the past 5 years.
I have seen it and it is way overrated. I did like GBG...but still overrated for what it actually was. I think people give him credit because they're so surprised Affleck did it...lol

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #43
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

I was all for the casting the moment it was announced.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #44
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think he has the nuance to play Batman or Bruce to be honest. Yes, he can do those other things, but his acting is still in question.
Frankly I didn't find a great deal of nuance in Bale's Bruce either (at least to the level of his acting caliber). Ditto for the other bat-men. Not much change there, and clearly doesn't determine success in the role.

And the less said about his Bale's bombastic Batman, the better.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #45
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
I don't think he has the nuance to play Batman or Bruce to be honest.
i don't think that's a legitimate complaint to have this instance, at least not yet anyway.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #46
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Frankly I didn't find a great deal of nuance in Bale's Bruce either (at least to the level of his acting caliber). Ditto for the other bat-men. Not much change there, and clearly doesn't determine success in the role.

And the less said about his Bale's bombastic Batman, the better.
I did...he seemed lost as Bruce. Bale brought that through terrifically.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #47
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
i don't think that's a legitimate complaint to have this instance, at least not yet anyway.
Why not? He's never played anything that requires any great depth and it doesn't help that he's usually written or directed the roles he does play. I'm just saying...

Like I said...I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but I just hope Synder doesn't put too much on him

Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #48
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
I have seen it and it is way overrated. I did like GBG...but still overrated for what it actually was. I think people give him credit because they're so surprised Affleck did it...lol
Well agree with you on Argo. Like I said it is still very good but didn't think it was best picture good. I can't disagree with you enough on Gone Baby Gone. Loved it and he also helped write it. Can't forget about Good Will Hunting either which he helped write. The guy just has an amazing track record so far behind the camera.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #49
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Still not seeing Affleck as Batman.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #50
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I did...he seemed lost as Bruce. Bale brought that through terrifically.
He was lost the entire trilogy, but it was conveyed just as well as any other capable actor could have. I consider nuance to be something not easily gleamed from a performance, and evokes thoughtful discussion of its ostensible nature. I've yet to see that from a Batman (though I definitely wouldn't push it away).

Reality is though, this is being headed by Snyder and Goyer. Hardly the type of artists you'd expect to churn out that sort of characterization.

Closed Thread