The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #826
Grommers
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

He's 32..His birthday just passed.

So, He'll be 36 turning 37 the next worldcup.

Really hard to say for a player of his skill, and sweden's lack there of. It would be more if Zlatan wants too. And he'll make some outlandish remark on why he is or isn't. And thats what I'm most looking forward too.

I really think its between Argentina, Germany, Spain, and Brazil this year. With Brazil being the favorites imo, and argentina second.

If Germany can avoid italy they'll be good.

Mexico and USA can also upset, and I have to imagine, England won't do so hot as they just don't have quality that they need to compete on the world stage anymore. To many bruisers, and not enough technical ability, may win you one or two matches against a top team, but not to consistently win.

Spain will be with Xabi and Xavi, that is the big key that was missing from the confederations cup, between those two they averaged more passes between each other than entire teams did in the course of a game.

Lionel will likely lead argentina, but they will have to ensure they are more on the attack then there opponents, which is where they will have some issues against teams like Spain, who are in no rush to attack.

Oh well, back to the domestic leagues this weekend as all worldcup qualifiers are now qualified i believe.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #827
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

I couldn't name a full starting 11 for Argentina, Germany & Brazil at the moment. Shows how far behind I've fallen, used to know everything about international football back when World Cups were the best sporting events. And all these complaints we've had about England in years past. Now we really are bad with hardly any world class players in the starting 11. In 2006 we had at least 9 great players.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #828
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Ah but over that period Fergie was around and then Ancelotti and Mancini, big experience there as well. This seaosn Wenger and Mourinho are the only two with the experience factor of winning leagues (I know AVB won the Portuguese league but it's second tier). I agree that the experience in our team will be vital for us in maintaining a top 4 spot but I don't see it being enough to win the actual title with Moyes at the helm and such a weak central midfield.
That is true, but I still don't think that should really be any excuse. Wenger is a top coach and should be able to handle those kinds of multiple threats, rather than relying on flourishing against weaker and less competition. Yeah, you're probably right, but I do think United could push closer than just for the top 4.

Quote:
Well Ozil was rested tonight along with a lot of Germany's usual starters and they still were solid, like you say the depth of their talent pool is crazy!
Yeah, I agree. The power really is shifting to Deutschland.

Quote:
Getting him back for the glut of games over Christmas will be a huge boost.
Agreed, I'm looking forward to him and Ozil linking up.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #829
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
That is true, but I still don't think that should really be any excuse. Wenger is a top coach and should be able to handle those kinds of multiple threats, rather than relying on flourishing against weaker and less competition. Yeah, you're probably right, but I do think United could push closer than just for the top 4.
Wenger also had less money to build with though in fairness, this is the first summer he's extended himself in the market. Truth is we both tend to err on the side of extreme caution with out teams prospects lol, we'll see come the end of the season but just from an outside point of view I feel Ar4senal are the strongest they have been in nearly a decade as a unit.

Quote:
Agreed, I'm looking forward to him and Ozil linking up.
Podolski left, Ozil as the #10 and Cazorla right with Ramsey and Arteta in the CM roles when everyone is fit?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #830
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Wenger also had less money to build with though in fairness, this is the first summer he's extended himself in the market. Truth is we both tend to err on the side of extreme caution with out teams prospects lol, we'll see come the end of the season but just from an outside point of view I feel Ar4senal are the strongest they have been in nearly a decade as a unit.
True, but I would have expected our sides, notably some of the stronger ones (i.e. in 2007-2008 and then 2010-2011) to have put up a better fight (mentality-wise), considering we were doing pretty well throughout, only to implode at the last knockings. The 'apparent' experience should have really come into play, and paid divends, especially in those instances, I feel.

Quote:
Podolski left, Ozil as the #10 and Cazorla right with Ramsey and Arteta in the CM roles when everyone is fit?
Unfortunately, it's likely to be Cathorla at left wing, Ozzy in #10 role and Wall-E at right wing. Arteta and Ramsey are likely to be the CM's, with Flaminina filling in, and/or rotating.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #831
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Flamini & Rosicky will hopefully get a fair number of games. Someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain might struggle to get in the team though now with quite a few guys ahead of him. Who have Arsenal got this weekend?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #832
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommers View Post
He's 32..His birthday just passed.

So, He'll be 36 turning 37 the next worldcup.

Really hard to say for a player of his skill, and sweden's lack there of. It would be more if Zlatan wants too. And he'll make some outlandish remark on why he is or isn't. And thats what I'm most looking forward too.
Latest from Zlatan:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...UsJqa8xxYDP.99
Zlatan Ibrahimovic says the World Cup isn't worth watching without him

Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #833
Grommers
Side-Kick

He's so incredibly funny to laugh at, not with. I don't think he gets that.

My favorite line was after Beckham said he was donating his salary to charity, Zlatan comes out and says that he's also donating his salary to charity...the chairty of zlatan, and all of france should donate there salaries to zlatan as well.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #834
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Flamini & Rosicky will hopefully get a fair number of games. Someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain might struggle to get in the team though now with quite a few guys ahead of him. Who have Arsenal got this weekend?
Agreed. We've got Southampton, so a rather tricky match-up to negotiate.

Quote:

My favorite line was after Beckham said he was donating his salary to charity, Zlatan comes out and says that he's also donating his salary to charity...the chairty of zlatan, and all of france should donate there salaries to zlatan as well.
Agreed. Another gem was when he was asked what he would be getting his girlfriend for Christmas. He replied, "Nothing...She already has Zlatan".

Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #835
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Nice to know this place has a proper football thread.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #836
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:

I dunno, I think I'm laughing with him. Some of these statements are awesome!
Quote:
Agreed. We've got Southampton, so a rather tricky match-up to negotiate.

Agreed. Another gem was when he was asked what he would be getting his girlfriend for Christmas. He replied, "Nothing she already has Zlatan".
Hahaha. And where will Southampton be if they win?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Nice to know this place has a proper football thread.
Welcome! Who do you support?

Old 11-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #837
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

The Bantams (Bradford City) Where 8th in League 1. None of that premier League stuff.

Last edited by Fallen Angel; 11-22-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #838
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
True, but I would have expected our sides, notably some of the stronger ones (i.e. in 2007-2008 and then 2010-2011) to have put up a better fight (mentality-wise), considering we were doing pretty well throughout, only to implode at the last knockings. The 'apparent' experience should have really come into play, and paid divends, especially in those instances, I feel.
Do you think that was a case of lacking leaders on the pitch in those teams though? Now with the BFG, Arteta, Konscielny and Wilshire there seems to be some bigger personalities in their together to help lead the rest.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's likely to be Cathorla at left wing, Ozzy in #10 role and Wall-E at right wing. Arteta and Ramsey are likely to be the CM's, with Flaminina filling in, and/or rotating.
Ah I forgot about your buddy Wally, I don't know though, I think he's better off the bench when the game gets stretched.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #839
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
The Bantams (Bradford City) Where 8th in League 1. None of that premier League stuff.
Ha, have you been to home games? Would be interested to know what the atmosphere's like. What's your average gate in League 1?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #840
kit1982
Side-Kick

Welcome to the thread Fallen Angel, great to have another non-Premier League fan on here even if he is a cocks fan

On another note

PULIS IS BACK BABY!!!!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #841
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Ha, have you been to home games? Would be interested to know what the atmosphere's like. What's your average gate in League 1?

Atmosphere's been decent and I get to games when I'm up there. Live down in London now. Average about 14,000 I'd guess we do have one of the larger grounds in the lower leagues.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #842
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Welcome to the thread Fallen Angel, great to have another non-Premier League fan on here even if he is a cocks fan

On another note

PULIS IS BACK BABY!!!!

He should be able to get the best out of Chamakh, as he excelled as a target man with his head more than his feet.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #843
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Everton 3 - 3 Liverpool
Southampton 0-2 Arsenal
Newcastle 2 -1 Norwich

and wait for it

Hull 0 - 1 Crystal Palace!!!!!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #844
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Do you think that was a case of lacking leaders on the pitch in those teams though? Now with the BFG, Arteta, Konscielny and Wilshire there seems to be some bigger personalities in their together to help lead the rest.
Probably part of the reason, but considering the manager, and that most of those players had been around some of the invincibles and been through the heartache and trials and tribulations, they would have at least learnt from that and gotten stronger (mentality-wise). The manager needs to instill that in them. What I think is a factor now, is that although Wenger may have changed tact and gotten a bit more tougher and eager, having Steve Bould as his number 2 is giving off that 'winning and never give up' mentality that the players are picking up on. He challenges Wenger, which probably also make him up his game more. Pat Rice was always just a yes man, he didn't have the backbone to stand up and challenge Le Proff like Bouldy has.

Quote:
Ah I forgot about your buddy Wally, I don't know though, I think he's better off the bench when the game gets stretched.
He'll be back in a starting berth in no time, imo. I read that apparently Wenger feels we don't need another striker, as Walcott is now an option. I almost threw up. He plays best up top, when he has someone to play off of, who will draw players and create space for him (i.e. in a 4-4-2). Him as a lone striker is quite frankly laughable. The guy has pace that can roast almost any defender, yet he still gets caught in the offside trap quite often.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #845
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Atmosphere's been decent and I get to games when I'm up there. Live down in London now. Average about 14,000 I'd guess we do have one of the larger grounds in the lower leagues.
Cool. What are your chances of going up?

Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #846
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Cool. What are your chances of going up?
We have a slight chance we've moved into the last play off spot after beating that fake club MK Dons today 3-2. We only got promoted last season from League 2 so it's all about consolidating our status in this division for a couple of seasons.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #847
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I was impressed with Barkley today, he was playing deeper than he has for most of the season and really helped drive Everton forward from midfield. Classic derby overall and Mignolet made some good saves in the second half, but I think Lukakau and Deulofeu should have done more with the clear cut opportunities.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #848
kit1982
Side-Kick

I never thought I'd say it but AVB's got to go, to spend that much money and get so little in return is unforgiveable.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #849
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

That Liverpool v Everton game was awesome.

Boruc trying to take on Giroud

Too many keepers think they got skill these days. If in doubt kick it out. Not that I'm complaining as a Arsenal fan.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #850
bapi
Side-Kick

If only we could win away...

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Closed Thread