The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #551
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 10

"The Avengers" is a good title because it describes the film well. All of the tension in that movie revolved around the question of whether or not the team would come together successfully, from Black Widow visiting Hulk to the arguments on the Helicarrier to the dumb fight scene between between Thor and Iron Man.

The effective climax of the movie is when the team does come together in NY, as a team, and the camera does a circle around them. That's the movie's moment. And they knew it, as it is the moment they show in the posters. Once the avengers come together, the aliens are dispacthed easily, all of the tension is gone.

"World's Finest" can work as a title if that's the (boring, not relevant) story they choose to tell. As in a story about Bats and Sups coming together to solve some crime problem, like two-face or something.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #552
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Because it doesn't say anything in particular about the film. The analogy I've brought up before is the Bond film Quantum of Solace, one of Fleming's short story titles but a dreadful title to use as a film because it a) lacked punch and b) was difficult to understand the meaning. I can recall numerous times Daniel Craig had to explain what the title meant, and even then some interviewers were still baffled. World's Finest is in a similar boat in that it doesn't really say anything in particular about Batman or Superman, it's just a generic term which could be applied just as much to dish-washing liquid. From an advertising perspective it's too bland and meaningless. And lets not forget that the name 'World's Finest' comes from the comic book title, it's not the title of the Batman/Superman team, it's something fans have used as a default term to describe the pair, so it's never been official.
Darn...I guess you got me because I really have no response. Though WF is pretty much the official title for them. It's always prefaced any comics that feature them in the modern age.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-21-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #553
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Darn...I guess you got me because I really have no response. Though WF is pretty much the official title for them. It's always prefaced any comics that feature them in the modern age.
I can understand why same fans want it as a title given the history and how it's evolved in the comic community, it's just if you look at from the marketing perspective it's a bit of an advertising nightmare to sell to the masses.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #554
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Man of Steel Battle the Knight
Man of Steel Beyond Darkness
Man of Steel Black of Knight
Man of Steel Darkness Falls
Man of Steel Knight Falls
Man of Steel Shadow of the Night
Man of Steel The Blackest Hour
Man of Steel The Darknness Within

Not a fan of any of those titles.

If I had to choose one, perhaps Battle the Knight.
I'm going to say they're all names of the children's tie-in books and mobile games that will be released for the movie, because that's what they sound like.

That said, if they altered one of the titles to Man of Steel: Shadow of the Bat, that would be... acceptable.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #555
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

The titles are awful. 'Worlds Finest' or 'Man of Tomorrow' for me.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #556
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Batman vs Superman, for me.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #557
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

These titles are soooo bad.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #558
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Is there supposed to be a colon or something in most of them. Most of them don't even make sense and are grammatically incorrect.

These seem like fan attempt rather than a studio attempt. But then again some people thought that MOS's script was also like a fan attempt rather than a studio attempt.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #559
matt47
Side-Kick

If the title is batman vs superman or worlds finest will that change your movie going experience?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #560
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I now think that a two-movie approach would work best. Forget about the Justice League, just have two Batman/Superman movies.

Movie 1, 2015: Batman vs Superman
Movie 2, 2017: Batman/Superman: World's Finest

It would be two different stories told. In the first movie, Batman would be the antagonist, in the second, they would team up against some external villain.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #561
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
If the title is batman vs superman or worlds finest will that change your movie going experience?
Those two different titles reflect two different stories, so yes it will change the moviegoing experience if they tell a different story.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #562
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Is there supposed to be a colon or something in most of them. Most of them don't even make sense and are grammatically incorrect.

These seem like fan attempt rather than a studio attempt. But then again some people thought that MOS's script was also like a fan attempt rather than a studio attempt.
I thought that Man of Steel was a pretty dumb and pretentious title.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #563
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I actually wish more superhero films would go the Man of Steel/TDK route and not have the name of the character in the title.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #564
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually wish more superhero films would go the Man of Steel/TDK route and not have the name of the character in the title.
I wouldn't mind DC sticking with that. I loved it for TDKT and MoS.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #565
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I thought that Man of Steel was a pretty dumb and pretentious title.
I liked Man Of Steel. A bit anonymous but overall a great title methinks. The Dark Knight Rises on the otherhand was a ridiculous title for a ridiculous movie.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #566
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I realise they're intended to be analogous but I don't think they are. The Dark Knight is a title that refers to the plot of its movie and its themes. It's not just a name that's used for Batman -- if it was then The Caped Crusader could have worked as a title... and it would not have.

The Man of Steel doesn't really reference the plot or the themes of MoS. I think it was chosen because it's as much a name for Superman as The Dark Knight is a name for Batman, and they wanted to use that movie's goodwill to bring in audience members. The title actually refers to the fact Superman is defined to be indestructible, which doesn't work well here because he was up against a physical threat that could technically kill him, and because an origin movie is supposed to be a character story, and they did try to write a character story.

Here are some miscellaneous thoughts:

Captain America: The First Avenger, a good title.
Thor: The Dark World, a dumb title. It's grammatically incorrect, and it's meant to imply the movie is "dark" when it's not in any way dark.
The Incredible Hulk, dumb title? I don't know what's incredible about him in this movie?
The Avengers, good title, for the reasons listed above.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #567
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I liked Man Of Steel. A bit anonymous but overall a great title methinks. The Dark Knight Rises on the otherhand was a ridiculous title for a ridiculous movie.
The Dark Knight Rises has the same origin problem... it's a title that tries to cash in on the fact that The Dark Knight is a brilliant and beloved movie. The fact Batman makes it out of the cave is not the best developed plot point of that movie, which is what it refers to.

I rewatched TDKR recently, at home and with some red wine. It holds up very well. Great inclusion of John Blake, Selina Kyle, and I loved Batman's retirement. There's a small misfire in that including Talia was a bad move.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #568
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't see how Man of Steel is 'anonymous', since those words have been an extremely well known name for Superman for seven decades?

About TDKR... Wrong on both counts. But that's a longer conversation for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
The Dark Knight Rises has the same origin problem... it's a title that tries to cash in on the fact that The Dark Knight is a brilliant and beloved movie. The fact Batman makes it out of the cave is not the best developed plot point of that movie, which is what it refers to.
It was hardly just about the physical act of Bruce escaping the pit. It was about him rising above the grief, fear and rage he's carried with him all his life and allowing himself to walk away from Gotham and be happy. About him finally rising above his personal need for Batman. About Batman rising up to give Gotham a symbol in dark times. About Blake rising up to take on the mantle of the bat, which in itself has risen beyond any one man.

Yeah, there's a lot of good stuff going on there.

Last edited by titansupes; 11-21-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #569
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I don't see how Man of Steel is 'anonymous', since those words have been an extremely well known name for Superman for seven decades?
Man Of Steel can refer to any action hero or any BAMF in any kind of action movie or Western movie. There have already been movies titles like Man Of Steel (before this one), Man Of Iron, Man Of Bronze etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
About TDKR... Wrong on both counts. But that's for another thread.
Opinions aren't wrong or right. But that's a discussion of another type.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #570
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Man of Steel: Mortal Knight

??

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #571
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

They've been very conservative and elegant with their titles thus far. TDK, MOS... on the other hand, subtitles seem to be catching on. Will WB's insecurities and tendency to copycat-ism get the better of them? Stay tuned to find out.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #572
lime
Movie critic

The best title for this movie is:

THE WORLD'S FINEST
BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN

Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #573
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Man of Steel Battle the Knight
Man of Steel Beyond Darkness
Man of Steel Black of Knight
Man of Steel Darkness Falls
Man of Steel Knight Falls
Man of Steel Shadow of the Night
Man of Steel The Blackest Hour
Man of Steel The Darknness Within

Not a fan of any of those titles.

If I had to choose one, perhaps Battle the Knight.
interesting a few decent names for the sequel. From the options given Id' choose Man of Steel: Knight Falls.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #574
Dk1201
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightGambit View Post
New Possible Titles revealed!

It seems WB has secretly registered domains which would hint to the official title for Batman vs Superman!

FULL STORY - http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2...-possible.html
If it's Man Of Steel Darkness falls the means the main Villian is the tooth fairy....

Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #575
keven
Side-Kick

As cool as it would be for the movie to be called World's Finest to comic book lovers, WB is never going to use that for a title of a movie. From a marketing perspective it makes no sense. As someone else said, it's a name of a comic book not the name of Superman and Batman's two man team. In fact even though the comic featured both of them on the covers together, they were not featured together in the same stories until many years later. Comics were given names like "World's Finest", "More Fun" , "Amazing Fantasy", etc back in the day. Characters like Green Arrow, Spectre, and Aquaman were featured in the More Fun comic, but I don't think WB would call an Aquaman movie "More Fun:Aquaman" or something silly like that. Althoughthat would be hilarious and awesome.

Closed Thread