The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #101
speno94
Side-Kick

Default Re: What did you like about T:TDW?

Just some of the main points I liked about the film...

* Production Design was one of the stars of the film to be honest. Sure, AT TIMES, the technology can be a tad confusing and jarring with spaceships, shields, horses, lightsaber swords, flying viking skiffs etc but 90-95% of the production design I LOVED. I like how Taylor honoured the look of the first film by keeping the Jack Kirby designs for the outside of Asgard, but for the INSIDE, he made it a lot more viking, medieval, GOT with candles, toned down costumes, old fashioned taverns etc. He also made Asgard have a strong sense of community which was completely absent in the first film and did not feel like just one family lived there with a couple of theatre sets behind them.

* Obviously Loki I say obviously because of course he's going to be on the 'what did you like about the film' list because Loki's awesome. All I can say whenever he comes on screen the film goes up a notch, the same as Star Trek Into Darkness where whenever Cumberbatch was on the screen it went up a notch and was glued to the screen.

* Thor He was great in the film and Hemsworth has really owned this role now and even though some may argue he may not have much of an arc in this film and needed to show more grief after Frigga's death etc I think he was fantastic in the comedic, action physical scenes. I also loved Thor's more historical looking costume in this film with the gold discs, more leather rather than the plastic look from the first two films and FINALLY the chain mail pants and not those leather 'biker' pants. We also got to see a little more of Thor's power and what he is capable of.

* Action The action in the film is MILES better than the first film because think about it, apart from that Jotunheim fight scene and SOME parts of the final battle, there wasn't any memorable action scenes, all I can remember from the middle of the film was a de-powered Thor rolling around in the mud fighting a SHIELD agent and that's it. And the Destroyer fight was WAY to short and disappointing.

Anyway... Sure theres no action scenes in TDW that will make any 'best action scenes of all time' lists, but they are still MILES better than the first film. The final battle scene was inventive (even though the humour was a tad much at times), the Kurse battle was great and much better utilised than the Destroyer and the invading Asgard scene was fantastic with Frigga getting an awesome fight, dog fights and those black hole grenades that implode where AWESOME!!

* THAT FUNERAL SCENE!!! The funeral scenes needs a separate bullet point because that scene was STUNNING, no dialogue, just music and visuals and arguably one of the best visual moments in a Marvel film ever.

* Kurse He was great in the film and had such a hulking presence and visually close to the comics where he gets that red and yellow helmet. I like the filmmakers made him costume and make-up because it's so easy to make a character like that CGI, but I'm glad they made him 100% practical and went old school. In fact, I loved all the Dark Elf costumes, especially Malekith's make-up even though his character needed more development. That's why I was disappointed with the way the Orcs where handled in The Hobbit, they DID NOT need to be CGI and watching Kurse and The Dark Elves make-up in this film reminds me that practical effects are always better in some cases and I miss the practical Orcs with prosthetics.

* Mid/After Credits Scene, Cameos & Marvel References Sure some people may think the mid credits is camp, bad 80's sci-fi film etc but I think it is because it's out of context, but when viewed as a whole with that same tone, it won't be as jarring, but I loved the fact that even Jaimie Alexander and Ray Stevenson sort of looked uncomfortable in the scene and that look Sif gives when that pink alien introduces them to the Collector and Jaimie Alexander sort of thinks this is weird and what movie am I in. But overall, I still get goosebumps thinking we are getting Thanos soon and the infinity gems or stones is one step closer and is interesting that the Aether and Tesseract are actually infinity stones.

As for that cameo (not spoiling, just in case), whoever thought of that deserves a medal because it was GENIUS!! The actor in that scene was great and was one of the best laughs in the film. I'm glad actually, thinking about it, the film wasn't stuffed to the brim with references and cameos like the last MCU sequel (Yes, I'm talking at IM 2) and kept the SHIELD references to the minimum getting mentioned once and I appreciated that and for the most part, kept to the Thor universe.

* Score The score is not one of the 'best scores ever' or anything like that, but I thought it was a really good score. I did miss the Patrick Doyle theme at times and if he came back, Doyle could of developed the theme even more, but I think that's mine (and many people's) problem with the MCU film scores, no consistency and the themes they already established in the first film can't develop because they change the bloody composer for the next film. But anyways, I think this score was a great substitute and follow up. I did like Brian Tyler's theme though and the more viking choir choices in the score especially for the invading Asgard scene where Malekith first walks out the ship in Asgard and uses one of those black hole grenades on the throne.

* Heimdall He got a lot more to do and I loved his action scene where he got to be a superhero and I liked seeing him be less formal with his helmet off sitting in the pub in one scene.

* Frigga She is AWESOME in this film, sure she hasn't got LOADS of screen time, but like Heimdall, she has a lot more to do and thinking about it, some the best scenes in the film have her in it such as that great little fight scene between her and Malekith and was surprisingly good in a sword fight, a couple of touching scenes with Loki, she's the one to show and help Jane around Asgard, her funeral scene etc. Her role in this film more than made up for what she was lacking in the first film. I even think she had more screen time than Sif in this film, I can't remember?

* Escaping Asgard Plan Scene What I mean about this is there is a scene where Thor is planning to escape Asgard and Thor, Heimdall, Sif, Volstagg and Fandrall are sitiing in the pub planning what to do and it is intercut with the plan happening and just the way it is cut feels like a heist film or something out of Oceans Eleven for a moment which i really liked. The film had a couple of great little ideas like this scattered throughout the film which I would of liked more of.

Last edited by speno94; 11-08-2013 at 09:57 PM.
speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #102
Loki882
Side-Kick

Loki.
Most of the acting was very good.
The visuals/effects were very good.
Sif, for what little she got to do.
The funeral scene.
The mid-credit tease to GOTG.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #103
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Favorite part, I loved, loved, absolutely loved the cameo in this. It got the whole audience in a tizzy. I also loved the subway ride, that was hilarious.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #104
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

While I found the funeral scene quite pretty, it had no weight. It was like the imagery and music was begging for a reaction the film did not earn.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #105
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
While I found the funeral scene quite pretty, it had no weight. It was like the imagery and music was begging for a reaction the film did not earn.
Just to let you know, this thread is for stuff you like, not the stuff you don't like!

I was just wondering, the scene where Thor is sliding down the side of the glass building, was that some sort of a quick wink to Adventures in Babysitting?

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #106
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Just to let you know, this thread is for stuff you like, not the stuff you don't like!

I was just wondering, the scene where Thor is sliding down the side of the glass building, was that some sort of a quick wink to Adventures in Babysitting?
I know what thread it is. Have you been in the other? There is a little discussion on the matters.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #107
fantasymoon
Newbie First Class

Strong spoilers below

Singing Mal's praises since it seems someone has to

-Malekith- I liked him.He and Kurse were what I have been waiting for in a villain (sorry loki). They were deliciously intimidating and menacing.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
They killed Thor's family. That's how I like my bad guys make it coldly personal.
They both didn't have much depth, but they had a tension filled presence when they were on screen and I loved it.

When Mal
threw that grenade at Odin's throne
just for ****s and giggles. I chuckled. So petty. Loved it.

The dark elf language. They could have spoken like that the entire movie and I wouldn't have minded at all. I also liked how demonic Mal sounded when he spoke normally as well.

Overall I loved what I saw of him. All stronger characterization is going to do for me is make me like him even more.

The
transformation into a kurse
was very deliciously creepy and just wrong looking. Loved it.

-Blackhole grenades. Very creative

-Frigga was badass.
I loved her confrontation with Mal. Their dialogue to one another and the fight scene
was exquisite.

-Loki- Overall I liked the character yet again and he is the sole reason I went to the theater to see this. I saw Thor and the Avengers on netflix. He has such a strong presence that the screen feels empty when he isn't on it. His overall characterization and agency felt more at home here. Like this is the real continuation of Loki from Thor 1 instead of that pathetic comedic mess he was written as in the avengers.

This movie just proved to me yet again that Loki is treated better as a character in the Thor movies. Also on a shallow note good lord is Loki attractive. I mean I've always thought so since the first Thor, but damn.

Even though from a writing standpoint I preferred him to stay dead I must admit I smiled when he showed himself at the end sitting on the throne of asgard as king once more. The trickster has out tricked everyone once again. For now.

-No love triangle crap

-Asgard was beautiful. I liked it in the first one as well, but it looked more lived in here.

-Graphics were gorgeous. Especially loved how the aerther looked and how badass mal used it.

-
Jane’s creepy eyes.

-Misplaced comedy aside I enjoyed the final battle. Couldn't tell you exactly what was happening but it at least was pretty and badass.

-Jane actually had a point in the end.

-Thor was more mature here. I like him, but I always have since the first.

Although playful Thor wins to.
Even though loki's illusions were amusing it was Thor's cheeky laugh and dialogue, after he handcuffed loki, that stole that scene for me.

-Movie hit its stride when Thor and Loki were together. They play so well off each other. Great chemistry.

-Acting overall was good.

-I loved the ending credit artwork.

Last edited by fantasymoon; 11-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
fantasymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #108
ares834
Side-Kick

The design. My god the design of this movie was beautiful. It's a wonderful mixture of Star Wars and LotR that makes Thor and his ilk really feel like viking space gods.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #109
Rock Sexton
Banned User

- The prologue with Bor. I thought it was the best fight sequence in the movie. The Einherjar fought like badasses and the light swords were a great touch. God I wish there would have been more of Bor. I liked him better than anything I've gotten from Hopkins' Odin.

- Captain America cameo ..... man that was a riot. People in my theater on both viewings laughed hysterically at that.

- Kurse ..... my favorite MCU villain right now. They completely nailed it with his design/look.

- Couldn't stop laughing at the pant-less scene for Selvig inside of Jane's apartment. Thor reaches for his hammer and Selvig delivers that "I better get my pants" line.
- CGI is top notch

- Heimdall kicking ass

- Frigga's funeral was beautiful

- The scene where Kurse kills Frigga and that lightening blast catches Malekith's face as Thor comes rushing in.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 11-12-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #110
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

The prologue with King Bor
Loki
Thor's character development
Jane & Thor's reunion
Assault on Asgard
Captain AMERICA cameo!
Loki & Thor team up to escape Asgard
Loki and Thor vs. Malekteh and Kruse
Battle Royal with Thor against Mal
Ending twisted with Odin

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #111
RoryTate
Newbie First Class

Beware...some spoilers below.

One word: CAMEO!
Mjolnir flying off planet to return to Thor's hand
The Stan Lee appearance and the mentally infirm "Can I have my shoe back?"...I laughed so hard at that.
The "Why are there so many shoes here?" comment in the cave...another good laugh
Darcy doing the WW2/V-day sailor-nurse kiss with the intern...and Darcy in the sailor role! (that was so Darcy...)
The funeral scene...the visuals were so stunning and such a tribute to Frigga and all the warriors who died
Loki/Thor scenes...Tom/Chris acting chemistry...'nuff said
The humour in general was great and really helped with suspension of disbelief in a movie with fantasy/sf and superhero elements
Black hole grenades...holy special fx!...made them really feel like a dangerous weapon
Jane and the humans having a pivotal role in the final battle, rather than simply needing saving
Jane being such a wonderful science geek as she is being diagnosed on Asgard ("It's a quantum entanglement scanner, isn't it?") Ha!
Heimdall is just awesome when he takes down that entire ship
Selvig and Stonehenge...he looks so wild-eyed and bonkers; also the 'Loki's dead!' celebration and then the awkward hug to apologize and condole Thor...very funny
The portals and use of them added a lot to the final battle scene
Volstagg's reaction as he gets mass tackled by the guards
Having a director's/extended cut of the movie confirmed for a blu-ray release, and knowing about some of the extras it will have (Tom doing a Chris Evans impression, etc)

RoryTate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #112
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I liked it a lot...

Not the best thing ever, but it doesn't need to be. The main things that stood out;

-Loki rules, as always
-Asgard actually a living and breathing planet
-No unnecessary twists, per-say...
-Darcy/Erik/Intern were again a nice addition
-Odin/Thor's mom were so much better, more realized characters

Basically, it fixed every issue of the first so-so film. Overall, a nice addition into the MCU.

Biggest faults... villain was plain-jane. Not bad but nothing memorable. Jane's plot being pretty ironic to the whole main situation. Oh, and the second end credits thing was pointless, Thor's return was nice... this kiss was meh and the tease about the Ice-Monster-Thing was stupid. That's about it...

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R

Last edited by antsman41; 11-12-2013 at 08:16 PM.
antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #113
tek
Side-Kick

in order, favourite characters in this installment. -1. Frigga 2. Kurse 3. Fandral 4. Volstagg 5. Thor 6. Loki . the rest i enjoyed too

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #114
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

The opening sequence between Asgard and The Dark Elves, it was AMAZING!

Bor himself, extremely well cast and portrayed

The entire main cast

How Thor punked the whole Marauder army

The Warrior's Three were much better here than in Thor 1

Hogun getting his comic book beard YESSSSSS!

Still impressed that a Kronan appeared on the big screen

Asgard's invasion, especially Heimdall and Frigga's scenes

Visuals from the set designs and the FX down to the costumes, PERFECTION

Those black hole grenades, they were very inventive

Mjolnir constantly surging with lighting

The Dark Elf home world, I love how it contrasted with Asgard

Malekith - I can see why most wanted more but I was pleased overall

Kurse - OMG probably the most bad ass villain in the entire MCU

Thor vs Kurse, I didn't mind Thor getting pummeled

Loki's new shape shifting abilities, the Cap cameo was brilliant

Most of the final battle

90% of the humor

The artwork during the credits

Both the mid credit and end credit scenes

I even liked Ian, more so than Darcy even

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #115
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

My most favorite thing was the visuals throughout the WHOLE movie.
A couple of the cooler things were the Boatships and Asgardian Cannons.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #116
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Was I the only one who loved the dialogues/character interaction in the movie?

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #117
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
Was I the only one who loved the dialogues/character interaction in the movie?
No, there were plenty of good moments of that. The thing most people will focus on is of course the interaction between Thor and Loki, and for good reason. Imo the best duo in CBM's.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #118
First Avenger
Side-Kick

I also found the humor good for the most part,I don't think there was more of it in this movie compared to the first one.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #119
First Avenger
Side-Kick

-The fanfare!
-Prologue
-Odin/Loki convo
-Thor's entrance
-The Kronan XD
-the movie's visuals,fantastic
-Asgard under siege
-funeral scene
-everything Thor/Loki and Thor/Odin
-Loki/Frigga
-battle of Svartalfheim
-Thor vs Malekith
-the cliffhanger
-the cameo
-Kurse
-Tyler's music
-Loki's escape
-less Earth than part 1

Last edited by First Avenger; 11-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.