The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #26
Poopyman
Newbie First Class

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Does anyone like the costume from DC Universe online?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #27
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hey, in real life, would hardened criminals be scared of Batman?

No.
No? I don't know from personal experience, but I do believe that criminals have a fear of police. They are not fearless, they fear those who might hurt or stop them. Batman is one who can stop them, and he'll do things the police never would. Of course criminals would fear Batman. Not BECAUSE of his theatrical attire, of course, but because of his results. The costume just amplifies his mythic status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Armor won't save him from Superman's punch. If Superman wants to punch him then Batman is dead.
The Kryptonians had armor that could take a beating from Superman without injuring the non-powered folk inside. Sure, he eventually broke through the armor anyway, but it still succeeded in protecting the wearer from super-powered blows, so the rules of this universe say it's possible. There's also the Kryptonian material that made up Superman and Zod's "costumes". The cape and suit may have some degree of super-durability, so we might see other similar scifi materials appearing in this universe. It may even be explained as being reverse engineered from the material left behind in the Kryptonian ships or that Zod was wearing when Supes ended him. Maybe this universe is one of the ones where anything from Krypton becomes stronger on Earth and not just the people.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #28
B:TAS
The Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Armor won't save him from Superman's punch. If Superman wants to punch him then Batman is dead.
Agree, Batmans going to have to outsmart supes in a fight

Old 11-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #29
The Bat

[QUOTE=Afrobean;27260551]No? I don't know from personal experience, but I do believe that criminals have a fear of police. They are not fearless, they fear those who might hurt or stop them. Batman is one who can stop them, and he'll do things the police never would. Of course criminals would fear Batman. Not BECAUSE of his theatrical attire, of course, but because of his results. The costume just amplifies his mythic status.

Agreed, if criminals heard of a guy running around in a costume, beating people to a pulp and turning them in, they probably would fear him.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
roach
I am the night

But thats the thing…no one thinks its a guy running around in a costume…they think its some sort of creature

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #31
The Bat

The argument that the GA would not accept trunks is not true at all because the Arkham games include trunks and those are VERY well received from the GA

Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #32
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

video games =/= live action film

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #33
matt47
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
video games =/= live action film
Exactly.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #34
Juha Bach
Side-Kick

I can only speak for myself, but if the batsuit has trunks it would look stupid. While i am of the opinion that the suit differ from TDKT, there are a few design concepts that i can still see being incorporated.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #35
matt47
Side-Kick

Yeah I'm sorry but I just don't see Zack n team putting trunks on batman when they couldn't put them on superman

Old 11-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #36
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
So does anyone here want to see the Yellow Oval symbol make a comeback, or does every one prefer the symbol similar to the one used by Nolan and by the recent Arkham games?
Oval (ellipse) symbol any day. If not just to be the symbol they use on posters.... it looks fantastic and is a great marketing tool. Definitely want to see the yellow oval (ellipse) again some day asap.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #37
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
But thats the thing…no one thinks its a guy running around in a costume…they think its some sort of creature
How many people in the United States do you think would believe there is a benevloent 6 foot bat roaming a major city and turning in criminals?

It's silly to think that, or at least as silly as wearing two colours of clothing on your lower body.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #38
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
How many people in the United States do you think would believe there is a benevloent 6 foot bat roaming a major city and turning in criminals?
They should just reveal that Man-bat popped up during Batman's first year in Gotham and then it's totally believable that criminals would think he's more than "just" a man. If Man-bat happened in the real world, I'd say all bets are off.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #39
regwec
Shakespearo

I think some of you are missing the point. For the sake of the comics/movies/etc, criminals are frightened of Batman. I don't personally believe that is a realistic situation, partly because Batman himself with his infinite abilities is unrealistic even by comic book standards. In reality, he would be a sad, confused, dead man, probably decaying at the bottom of a storm drain within hours of beginning his absurd mission.

Fortunately for us, however, this is all wish-fulfilling make believe, where the hero always prevails and the villains are always beaten yet rarely die. That's all a given. It doesn't matter that it's absurd, because the absurdity is part of the appeal.

Too stupid to sustain, however, is the notion that all of that fantasy and make believe can be lapped up without question; unless the invincible hero wears trunks over his suit. If he wears trunks, the notion that criminals would fear him or that he could fight crime in this way, apparently becomes ridiculous.

Dumb.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I think some of you are missing the point. For the sake of the comics/movies/etc, criminals are frightened of Batman. I don't personally believe that is a realistic situation, partly because Batman himself with his infinite abilities is unrealistic even by comic book standards. In reality, he would be a sad, confused, dead man, probably decaying at the bottom of a storm drain within hours of beginning his absurd mission.

Fortunately for us, however, this is all wish-fulfilling make believe, where the hero always prevails and the villains are always beaten yet rarely die. That's all a given. It doesn't matter that it's absurd, because the absurdity is part of the appeal.

Too stupid to sustain, however, is the notion that all of that fantasy and make believe can be lapped up without question; unless the invincible hero wears trunks over his suit. If he wears trunks, the notion that criminals would fear him or that he could fight crime in this way, apparently becomes ridiculous.

Dumb.
That's true, but to play devil's advocate since you haven't directly addressed the poster above you, what function would the trunks serve?

I really don't care either way as long as it looks good, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #41
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
They should just reveal that Man-bat popped up during Batman's first year in Gotham and then it's totally believable that criminals would think he's more than "just" a man. If Man-bat happened in the real world, I'd say all bets are off.
But that then undermines the premise of Man of Steel. In that Superman is the first paranormal entity.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #42
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's silly to think that, or at least as silly as wearing two colours of clothing on your lower body.
To be fair, a real-life Batman would also not be able to do half the stuff Batman can do in the comics. A real-life Batman wouldn't achieve the same intimidating effect because of that.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #43
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
That's true, but to play devil's advocate since you haven't directly addressed the poster above you, what function would the trunks serve?

I really don't care either way as long as it looks good, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.
I don't really have any thoughts, because I also do not care either way.

I just find the purported absurdity of Batman's trunks to be very low down on the list of absurdities affixed to that character and the fictional world in which he is resident.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #44
TheGospelOfMark
Side-Kick

The yellow oval works when Batman can completely cover himself in his cape, like in BTAS. Love it.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #45
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
This would be accurate following his first appearances, but most would eventually realize he is not some sort of creature.......especially if he drives "the" muscle car of Gotham City. However that realization would not diminish the fear factor one bit, which is why he embraces the image of the bat as his signature.
And let's not forget his detective skills and intellect which contribute to the fear he instills. Surely his ability to stay many steps ahead of his prey and to always be in the right place at the right time must weigh heavy on Gotham's underworld.

Re. the trunks......for both Batman and Superman.......I just think the aesthetic of the costume is better with them......with no rhyme or reason for their presence other than that. There are many super-heroes created at the same period as Batman and Superman whose costumes do not include trunks, so the idea that trunks are "dated" seems mis-informed to me. If they are "dated" why don't all the heroes created around the same date also sport trunks.......For me the answer is more likely that the aesthetic of the individual design did not require trunks?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #46
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Honestly, I don't care what they do as long as it looks good and is appropriate for the character and the movie they want to make. Of course I have preferences, but I don't mind something totally different from those as long as it doesn't look like crap.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #47
theShape
Creature of Darkness

As I've stated before, I guess I'd consider myself to be against the trunks in live action at this point. This isn't because I hate them or think they're "st00pid" necessarily. In fact, I love the trunks in the pre-New52 comics and they have never bothered me in the slightest. Jim Lee's renderings of Batman in Hush, for example, is among my favorites.

With that said, I do believe the trunks are by far the LEAST essential aspect of Batman's iconic look. In my eyes, Batman needs the boots, gauntlets, belt, cape, cowl, and Batsymbol --- hopefully, we can agree that ALL live action interpretations of Batman have have these things in one way or another. The trunks are not nearly as important. As we saw in MOS, Superman's trunks do not define him. They do not "make or break" the character, and the same can be said for Batman.

If there is ever a period piece Batman film, in which he is purposefully meant to have a retro or vintage look, then I say bring on the trunks. But for this upcoming modern-day re-imagining of the character, I say no trunks, please. UNLESS they devise a way to make them look natural and it isn't jarring or distracting.

Also, at the end of the day, I wish some people could just admit that it really comes to down to personal preference instead of trying to create hollow arguments for or against them.

Last edited by theShape; 11-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #48
roach
I am the night

Quote:

How many people in the US believe in UFO's or Bigfoot or the Lizard man or the Jersey Devil?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #49
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post

If there is ever a period piece Batman film, in which he is purposefully meant to have a retro or vintage look, then I say bring on the trunks. But for this upcoming modern-day re-imagining of the character, I say no trunks, please. UNLESS they devise a way to make them look natural and it isn't jarring or distracting.
Were nightowl's trunks ever noticeable enough to be jarring or distracting?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #50
roach
I am the night

Did anyone complain about the trunks in Superman Returns?

Closed Thread