The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Default Should there be a stand alone Mystique film?

Given that Jennifer Lawrence has proven herself to be good enough to win a best actress Oscar, as well as being able to carry a blockbuster franchise (Hunger Games anyone?), doesn't it make sense to give her her own film focusing on Mystique?

I think so. I think a film chronicling some of her story would work and could be a hit. Maybe her relationship with Azazel and her pregnancy with Nightcrawler could be covered in this film.

It might also be the perfect opportunity to introduce Apocalypse via some sort of storyline similar to the X-men: Evolution story arc making the quest to revive a long dormant immortal mutant the underlying backbone holding the film together.

What do ya think?

Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should there be a stand alone Mystique film?

Shes fine as an ensemble. They need new characters to be developed.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm not up for this idea. Could be interesting though if it happens.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
smallville fan
Hero

no thank you

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

No.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

So do you all think that the Mystique/Azazel?Nightcrawler connection will be touched upon in DOFP then? It seems to me that introducing Azazel in FC, and having both he and Mystique go with Magneto at the end implies that the connection would be explored.

I'm a cheerleader for a standalone film regardless. I think it could be really good. In fact, I think it would be better than a Deadpool movie.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Reme Lebeau View Post
So do you all think that the Mystique/Azazel?Nightcrawler connection will be touched upon in DOFP then? It seems to me that introducing Azazel in FC, and having both he and Mystique go with Magneto at the end implies that the connection would be explored.
Azazel was in FC so they could have a cool teleporter, Thats about it. And now he's confirmed dead in the DOFP viral. So that's that.

If she shows up again it should be with that cast and not a solo imo. They can continue to develop her there. New and existing characters who have not had the developed time she has had need to be given due....Cyclops, Storm, Deapdool, Gambit etc

Last edited by def28; 11-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm a cheerleader for a standalone film regardless. I think it could be really good. In fact, I think it would be better than a Deadpool movie.
No, it doesn't. At best it was an easter egg for hardcore fans. It will not be explored.

And a mystique stand-alone film will never happen. Terrible idea.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
No, it doesn't. At best it was an easter egg for hardcore fans. It will not be explored.

And a mystique stand-alone film will never happen. Terrible idea.
Okay. It sounds like you got all of Fox's plans revealed to you before the rest of the world did. Congrats, inside man!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Azazel was in FC so they could have a cool teleporter, Thats about it. And now he's confirmed dead in the DOFP viral. So that's that.

If she shows up again it should be with that cast and not a solo imo. They can continue to develop her there. New and existing characters who have not had the developed time she has had need to be given due....Cyclops, Storm, Deapdool, Gambit etc
If you truly believe that the writers are really so two dimensional in their writing then more power to you. Given that Mystique and Azazel are Nightcrawler's parents and Nightcrawler has proven to be a popular character, I don't see why the creators would completely ignore the connection in subsequent films, given that they introduced Azazel (a relatively obscure X-character).

Also, if Azazel is dead in DOFP, and given that we're seeing the FC characters roughly 10 years after the events of the last film, there's no reason why Mystique and him wouldn't have hooked up at least once during that time.

I do agree that more important characters need more attention, but if Fox is looking to expand the X-men cinematic universe in the same way as Marvel is doing with the Avengers, then I don't see why there couldn't be films about all these characters.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you truly believe that the writers are really so two dimensional in their writing then more power to you. Given that Mystique and Azazel are Nightcrawler's parents and Nightcrawler has proven to be a popular character, I don't see why the creators would completely ignore the connection in subsequent films, given that they introduced Azazel (a relatively obscure X-character).
They already pretty much did, cause now the character died off screen in a viral add the GA will probably never read with the character only having said about 5 lines. It wasn't part of the story they wanted to tell. These films aren't lik the comics. He was chosen for his powers and cool action. This is nothing new in the X-Men film franchise. They picked more then a few characters based on set pieces. Banshee for example is in the film because they needed someone with the power to read sonar. There are interviews with the writers explaining how they chose a few characters and it becomes obvious that this also had to be the case for mute to barely speaking characters like Riptide/Azazel.

If they want that Mystique/Azazel connection it will have to be wrapped and done in DOFP. Not a solo. Cause he's gone.

Quote:
I do agree that more important characters need more attention, but if Fox is looking to expand the X-men cinematic universe in the same way as Marvel is doing with the Avengers, then I don't see why there couldn't be films about all these characters.
Because X-men has too many. They could develop many films. Im not saying it would be bad. Just that we dont need it. You have to choose them carefully. Mystique has her place within First Class and been in 5 films. Develop within those relationships not outside of them in a solo. I dont think there is a strong enough demand to warrant her a solo outside of the fact shes played by a popular actress. Id rather see her on screen interacting with her co stars in DOFP and FC.

Last edited by def28; 11-29-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
So do you all think that the Mystique/Azazel?Nightcrawler connection will be touched upon in DOFP then?
I don't know why people like to believe that these three are related? Okay they are in the comics, but to force it in the movies? just no.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 11-26-2013 at 01:07 AM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Lawrence could certainly carry it, and it would be fantastic to craft a story that incorporates Rebecca's time with the character as well. I'm not sure how likely it would be but I could get behind it, especially as she's becoming played out as an X-Men villain.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't know why people like to believe that these three are related? Okay they are in the comics, but to force it in the movies? just no.
when you have azazel pretty much be a red nightcrawler with the exact same powers you kinda have to question if there is a relation, and of course the look of night crawler being blue like mystique with the comic book lore backing it up will add to it

it would be odd to skip over it without at least 1 mention of it

Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
kasjan
Side-Kick

NO, enough of Mystique, another villains please.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
Angamb
Banned User

this should have been a poll

would have been interesting to see the votes

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Nvm.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."

Last edited by jonathancrane; 11-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

A movie based on her work with the government or Get Mystique would be awesome.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Dasher10
Side-Kick

No thank you. Wolverine and Deadpool solo films are enough. I'd much rather see ensembles like X-Factor and X-Force along with an Uncanny relaunch after DOFP. I mean if more solo films are a possibility, I have a feeling that Captain Britain, Gambit and Storm are all higher priorities.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #20
def28
Side-Kick

I just think that FC and DOFP will be enough for the character. I expect her to have plenty of focus/development by DOFP's end.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #21
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

nope

Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #22
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

I can't believe how many Mystique haters there are. Maybe should could at the very least show up in the next Wolverine film

Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #23
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can't believe how many Mystique haters there are. Maybe should could at the very least show up in the next Wolverine film

I'm not a hater. She's had plenty of screen time. I just want to see other villains get the spotlight for once. I mean we still have yet to see Daken, Omega Red, Sinister, Cameron Hodge, Apocalypse, Donald Pierce, Selene, Emplate, Stryfe and Shadow King. Those are a LOT of bad guys.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #24
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Mytique is a really great character, but there are only a small handful of backstories that would make her anything close to a solo movie star.

- The fact that she and Voctor Creed had a son, who turned out not to have powers, and who then hated mutants and became the leader of the Friends of Humanity. Too bad this type of group has been used too much in the X-films...

- The fact that she had another son with Azazel, whom she abandoned and who became Nightcrawler. But Nightcrawler has already been featured, as has Azazel. Could this be used in a flick? Sure, but it's not enough to make her worthy of a solo...

- The fact that she was the adopted mother of Rogue, and raised her with the plan of using her, and coerced her into fighting Miss Marvel and stealing her powers, which made Rogue a kick butt character with pycho issues that only Xavier could help with. Too bad Rogue has already been introduced and not used in this way, and that Miss Marvel would not be a usuable character.

- And lastly that she formed and led the third incarnation of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. This group was actually pretty cool, with Destiny, Avalanche, Blob and Pyro. Well Blob was a complete failure in Origins (it actually saddens me to think how bad he was - though the whole "Bub" - "Blob" thing was creative). Could Mystique be used in this way? Sure, but we've already had a Brotherhood as the villains, so it would be a bit been there, done that, and actually the only main story where this Brotherhood was important is DOFP! Maybe instead of using "the Brotherhood" they could go with "Freedom Force", but it's really the same thing.

So, giving Mystique her own movie? Can't see it. Where's the story? You have a little bit of an origin of her meeting Destiny, being lovers with Sabertooth and Azazel and giving birth to Grayden and Kurt, but where do you go from there?

Could she be used as a support character? Of course. She could even be in X-Factor. Could she be a leader of the villainous group? Of course. But a solo movie?...

Nope, not likely!

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I'm not a hater. She's had plenty of screen time. I just want to see other villains get the spotlight for once. I mean we still have yet to see Daken, Omega Red, Sinister, Cameron Hodge, Apocalypse, Donald Pierce, Selene, Emplate, Stryfe and Shadow King. Those are a LOT of bad guys.
Point taken. But if Marvel can make Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Fox can make a Mystique film, and also introduce all these other villains in a variety of X-related films. But if there is a trade-off to be had, then I agree, let's at the very least have some Sinister in the cinema for once and for all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Mytique is a really great character, but there are only a small handful of backstories that would make her anything close to a solo movie star.

- The fact that she and Voctor Creed had a son, who turned out not to have powers, and who then hated mutants and became the leader of the Friends of Humanity. Too bad this type of group has been used too much in the X-films...

- The fact that she had another son with Azazel, whom she abandoned and who became Nightcrawler. But Nightcrawler has already been featured, as has Azazel. Could this be used in a flick? Sure, but it's not enough to make her worthy of a solo...

- The fact that she was the adopted mother of Rogue, and raised her with the plan of using her, and coerced her into fighting Miss Marvel and stealing her powers, which made Rogue a kick butt character with pycho issues that only Xavier could help with. Too bad Rogue has already been introduced and not used in this way, and that Miss Marvel would not be a usuable character.

- And lastly that she formed and led the third incarnation of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. This group was actually pretty cool, with Destiny, Avalanche, Blob and Pyro. Well Blob was a complete failure in Origins (it actually saddens me to think how bad he was - though the whole "Bub" - "Blob" thing was creative). Could Mystique be used in this way? Sure, but we've already had a Brotherhood as the villains, so it would be a bit been there, done that, and actually the only main story where this Brotherhood was important is DOFP! Maybe instead of using "the Brotherhood" they could go with "Freedom Force", but it's really the same thing.

So, giving Mystique her own movie? Can't see it. Where's the story? You have a little bit of an origin of her meeting Destiny, being lovers with Sabertooth and Azazel and giving birth to Grayden and Kurt, but where do you go from there?

Could she be used as a support character? Of course. She could even be in X-Factor. Could she be a leader of the villainous group? Of course. But a solo movie?...

Nope, not likely!
I think most of what you mentioned could be weaved into a great film. It would simply take the right screenwriter. I bet Mathew Vaughn could pull it off.