The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: Ragnarok

Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: The Director of THOR 3

Not really, Constantine is his only bad film, on the whole he's an alright film director. His track record isn't of mediocrity and crap at all.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Read I Am Legend then watch the movie. Compare them. The movie missed the entire point of the story. That and the CGI was terrible.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
Lord
All Mighty

The ending was changed in the last minute aparently, and i'm judging a film, not the process of adaptation, The Town for example is aclaimed, yet, those who read the original story say the film was much inferior to that.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

I think the ending also wasn't good on a film level, either. The original ending of the film also was nothing like the book, either. As an adaptation, it failed miserably. As a film, it had poor CGI and fell apart in the 2nd act, and had a poor conclusion (even outside the changes from the source material). It simply wasn't a good movie (this is my opinion, of course). Catching Fire was hard to mess up because it had a film friendly book to pool from, a film style somewhat already in place from the previous installment/good cast from 1st installment) and a good script. Without these things, he hasn't shown the ability to succeed. He can't craft a story himself.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
Bert
Side-Kick

For Thor 3 Marvel should call up George Lucas, hes probably not doing anything...

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #31
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
For Thor 3 Marvel should call up George Lucas, hes probably not doing anything...
I can vividly imagine the mob with torches and pitchforks outside your door right now...

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #32
one4smoke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Branagh. Taylor wasn't able to nail down the characters and their relationships at all, while Branagh excelled at it. Also keep in mind that several of the cast members joined the project strictly because of Branaghs involvement, so the respect and admiration he commands from his cast is noteworthy.

TDW had the aesthetics, but the original had everything else.
Agreed.

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Went to see Catching Fire today and I stick by my earlier statement that Francis Lawrence should direct the third Thor movie (you can find my thoughts on it in the film's thread). Marvel would be incredibly lucky if they got him. If not, then he'd also make a pretty awesome Wonder Woman movie

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Ideally I would want Branagh back for Thor 3. Thor is my favourite solo MCU movie and the movie just totally wowed me when I 1st saw it, it got me reading some Thor comics as well.

I think Taylor could have made a good sequel if given the freedom to do so, but Marvel wouldnt allow that and I doubt he will be coming back.

So, Branagh is my director choice for Thor 3.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #35
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

My choice for Thor 3 is exactly the same as it was for Thor 2. Vadim Jean.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #36
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Ideally I would want Branagh back for Thor 3. Thor is my favourite solo MCU movie and the movie just totally wowed me when I 1st saw it, it got me reading some Thor comics as well.

I think Taylor could have made a good sequel if given the freedom to do so, but Marvel wouldnt allow that and I doubt he will be coming back.

So, Branagh is my director choice for Thor 3.
Agreed on Branagh. I don't think he's coming back though, as he could have easily directed Thor 2 but seemed content moving on to Jack Ryan. His main reason for not coming back was the short re-load time between 1 and 2, yet Ryan came out only two months after TDW. Sounds like he's done with the franchise.

I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor back since most of the problems I had with TDW had to do with editing and the feeling of too many cooks in the kitchen working on the script. Probably would prefer someone new at the helm, however.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #37
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Agreed on Branagh. I don't think he's coming back though, as he could have easily directed Thor 2 but seemed content moving on to Jack Ryan. His main reason for not coming back was the short re-load time between 1 and 2, yet Ryan came out only two months after TDW. Sounds like he's done with the franchise.
I believe he was in pre-production on Ryan when Thor 2 was announced though? I may be remembering wrong though. I really hoped he would return to the franchise someday but it seems he is done with it. Shame, I loved Thor, my favourite solo movie so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor back since most of the problems I had with TDW had to do with editing and the feeling of too many cooks in the kitchen working on the script. Probably would prefer someone new at the helm, however.
I wouldnt mind Taylor coming back either as long as they gave him more freedom, it seems Marvel were intent in meddling with Thor 2 from the start and the movie ended up being such a disappointment to me. Taylor is busy with the new Terminator movie now though and if that is successful I think they will move straight onto a sequel.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #38
Mr. Dent
Banned User

imo they missed on both Branagh and Taylor. I hope Marvel finds their Russo brothers for Thor with this new movie. The story for it has far more potential than Thor 2 ever did, now they need a director with a real vision and love for the character to see it through.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #39
Sterling Archer
Worlds Greatest Super Spy

They just need to find someone who actually cares about the movie they are making and isn't just a hired gun.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #40
Neo_3
Side-Kick

My choices are:
Louis D'Esposito
Trent Opaloch
Walter Simonson
Jesús Orellana
Wes Ball

D'Esposito is because has been around since the beginning and has directed some shorts. Opaloch was the DP of TWS. Simonson because Thor 3 has a great chance to adapt his adaptation. Orellana and Ball I think based of their shorts.

Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #41
Hulk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
They just need to find someone who actually cares about the movie they are making and isn't just a hired gun.
Agreed. I hope MS doesn't commit this mistake again.

Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #42
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

As always, I want to see Guillermo Del Toro do this one. As much as I disliked Pacific Rim, I blame bad acting and since Thor/Loki/Odin are already cast that shouldn't be any issue.

Besides, take the best moments from the colossal battles in Pacific Rim and apply them to Thor vs Surtur. You could have a really awesome David v Goliath moment.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #43
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
As always, I want to see Guillermo Del Toro do this one. As much as I disliked Pacific Rim, I blame bad acting and since Thor/Loki/Odin are already cast that shouldn't be any issue.

Besides, take the best moments from the colossal battles in Pacific Rim and apply them to Thor vs Surtur. You could have a really awesome David v Goliath moment.

I know some people see it as a little uninspired, but I think GDT or even Peter Jackson would be great, IF they had a passion/vision for the character. Even if marvel goes more outside-the-box than this, these are definitely the types of directors that Marvel needs to be courting.

And my dream version of Thor 3 definitely includes a towering Surtur, as in the pic you posted.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #44
seahammer
Asgardian

Has anyone seen Dracula Untold? I haven't seen it yet, but I was wondering how Gary Shore does with the sweeping supernatural visuals in that, and if he could be a good candidate for Thor 3. AFAIK he's an unproven director, with this being his first big budget venture.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 AM   #45
First Avenger
Side-Kick

What about Andrew Stanton?

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #46
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
What about Andrew Stanton?
If he's ready to give live action another go after John Carter, and if he has a strong vision for the story/character, I don't see why not. He seems like he would work well within Marvel's culture. Here's an article where he talks about wanting to build reshoots into his shooting schedule from the beginning of JC, for example, which is Marvel's M.O. as well: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...ector-20120908

Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #47
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I wouldnt mind Stanton, JC was certainly not as bad as some people made it out to be, but I would prefer someone with a bit experience and consistency.

I doubt many will agree with me, and I dont see Marvel ever working with him, but I would love Peter Jackson to do it.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #48
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Jackson would be great but I really doubt it can happen. Does anyone else feel like it is pretty difficult to find the perfect director for a Thor movie?

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #49
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Oh oh oh! Brad Bird?

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #50
Loki882
Side-Kick

Some possibilities:

-Neil Marshall.
-Duncan Jones.
-Rupert Wyatt.
-Mel Gibson (completely unrealistic choice #1).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote