The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Default Scenes in Man of Steel that where inspired by the Comics and Animation

It looks like Snyder was busy going through the Superman archives. Just look at how many similarities you can find in Man of steel that actually match up the pages and scene in a variety of Comics and Animations. If you can can find any more post them here. Describe them if you can't find any scans. Here are of the ones that I've found.

Zod punching Superman in the gut and sending him sliding across the ground on his knees.

Nam-Ek and Faora tackling Superman mid flight in the comics is similar to an event in the movie. Only in the movie Superman was using Faora like a ragdoll and Nam-Ek was the one doing the tackling.

Zod catching Superman's punch while flying with a shock wave going off during the catch is similar to when Black suit Superman caught Clone superman's fist in the Superman/Doomsday.

Zod throwing Superman by his cape was also similar to Black Suit Superman throwing Clone Superman By his cape.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-27-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Default Re: Scenes in Man of Steel that where inspired by the Comics and Animation

Here are some more.

Zod and Superman falling from space are similar to Superman and Doomsday falling from space.

Zod and Superman Falling through the atmosphere while onlookers on the ground look on in awe was similar to when Superman and Doomsday where doing the same.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-27-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: Scenes in Man of Steel that where inspired by the Comics and Animation

Someone pointed to this entire scene a few weeks ago

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Krumm; 11-27-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
sef
Side-Kick

Could have been the inspiration for this:

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Someone pointed to this entire scene a few weeks

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Yea your right! That's where they got the idea for the Vault collision.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
smallville fan
Hero

The Zod vs Superman fight was pretty much reminiscent of Death & Return of Superman resulting in both combatants dying in one way or another.

Oh and http://www.sixokay.com/2013/06/16/21...-man-of-steel/

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Also, #GiveUsMoreLegends
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I can't scan the photos from For Tomorrow, but the meeting between Leone and Supes at the church has a lot of shades from that comic. The only difference is he's not dressed as Superman.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I can't scan the photos from For Tomorrow, but the meeting between Leone and Supes at the church has a lot of shades from that comic. The only difference is he's not dressed as Superman.
This is it right?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^Yes!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

It wasn't inspired by the comics or animation, but Clark's trip to the north pole is pretty much a reimagining of the sequence from Superman: The Movie. He heads north with a Kryptonian artifact in tow, he uses it to create/enter a Kryptonian structure where he meets a hologram of his long-dead father who tells him who he is and where he's from and why he was sent to Earth, and is then told he will inspire humanity (they only lack the light to show the way/they will join you in the sun), then Clark dons the Superman suit for the first time and flies for the first time.

I know I beat a dead horse when it comes to Donner, but I think people need to realize that those movies are still relevant and that it wasn't just comics and animation that influenced MoS.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Good catch Lead Cenobite.

I'm looking at the movie and seeing some SV references now, but I can't recall which exact episodes. It will come to me eventually.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
This is it right?

Nice ! I'd forgotten about Superman, For Tomorrow. Definitely an influence. Coolness.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sef View Post

Could have been the inspiration for this:

Wow ! I didn't think anyone remembered that classic Byrne issue from way back in the 80's. That's the first time Byrne's Superman kills anyone, and actually it's an execution - personally I thought it worked. Nice spotting man !

Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

The scene with Superman fighting the World Engine is very similar to a Brainiac fight in the cartoon. I can't remember if it's from STAS, Brainiac Attacks, or JLU, but it's definitely similar and reminds me of that fight.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yes....there is a scene in Brianiac Attacks that is almost identical to when Supes is fighting the WE. Ironically enough during the fight he is also weakened by Kryptonite and is feeling the effects from the poison...lol. The sound effects is almost even the same...lol

Old 12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I know I beat a dead horse when it comes to Donner, but I think people need to realize that those movies are still relevant and that it wasn't just comics and animation that influenced MoS.
Zack Snyder said from the get-go that the Donner films had no influence and they had to act like they never existed when they were making MOS.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Also, #GiveUsMoreLegends
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Dudes, I must have been living in a cave. just read Superman: Secret Origins, (which Ironically has a foreward by David S. Goyer). While there aren't really direct scenes taken from it, (except maybe where the Kents show Clark the spaceship) there are
heaps and heaps of similarities, especially in those earlier parts.

- the Tornado
-Superman attacked by the Army
- "I want to be your son" (from young Clark to Jonathan Kent)

However, I would say the greatest similarity is the Tone of the book.
Superman is a very human character. Sure there are a lot of differences (no Zod
and Superboy), but the feel of it is very similar.

Geoff Johns is brilliant (I loved what he did with JL, GL and his Batman work)
He builds on so many elements of John Byrne's work from the 80's, and the Donner
films. It kind of bridges the gap between all that source material and Man of Steel.
I hope to heaven they involve him in the next Superman film.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
sef
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The anime is called Tetsuwan Birdy (a.k.a. Birdy The Mighty) and apparently was also name dropped by Snyder during an interview while on promo tour in Japan when asked for sources of inspiration regarding the Smallville and Metropolis battle sequences.

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Good catch. It's very comic book-y

Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
John-An
Land of Enchantment

Quote:
It looks like Snyder was busy going through the Superman archives. Just look at how many similarities you can find in Man of steel that actually match up the pages and scene in a variety of Comics and Animations. If you can can find any more post them here. Describe them if you can't find any scans. Here are of the ones that I've found.

Zod punching Superman in the gut and sending him sliding across the ground on his knees.

Nam-Ek and Faora tackling Superman mid flight in the comics is similar to an event in the movie. Only in the movie Superman was using Faora like a ragdoll and Nam-Ek was the one doing the tackling.

Zod catching Superman's punch while flying with a shock wave going off during the catch is similar to when Black suit Superman caught Clone superman's fist in the Superman/Doomsday.

Zod throwing Superman by his cape was also similar to Black Suit Superman throwing Clone Superman By his cape.

Actually the lady in the comic was Ursa not Faora.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:12 AM   #21
Superman2007
Side-Kick

This one is more subtle, but it shows that Superman enjoys flying with Zebras

-Henry Cavill
Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #22
Mai

This is really interesting to see where they've drew inspiration from for the film . Nice catches!

Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Someone pointed to this entire scene a few weeks ago

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Quote:
Yea your right! That's where they got the idea for the Vault collision.

Yeah, I noticed that while I was watching that episode yesterday.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote