Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #976
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Singer should show us table with chronology with all those movies, viral sites in each timelines after DOFP premiere, if we still don't understand after watching DOFP.
well
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If the rumored ending Is true then It won't matter anymore.The trilogy and both wolverine films are erased from cannon.Although viral site Is already making non-FC films ilrelvent to DOFP.FC,1973 parts of DOFP and future films are all that will matter anymore

Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #977
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

I wonder;

Do people go to bed at night hoping that after they see DOFP that X3 and XMOW will just magically disappear from the world.

No one was thinking about a cinematic universe in 1999. Once TDK and Marvel/Disney took things to another level, people think we can just "erase things from canon" with one film. It will make everything ok. Get over it lol

Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #978
rory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
well
If the rumored ending Is true then It won't matter anymore.The trilogy and both wolverine films are erased from cannon.Although viral site Is already making non-FC films ilrelvent to DOFP.FC,1973 parts of DOFP and future films are all that will matter anymore
Please; "canon" is an official body of work, while "cannon" is the weapon.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #979
rory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
I wonder;

Do people go to bed at night hoping that after they see DOFP that X3 and XMOW will just magically disappear from the world.

No one was thinking about a cinematic universe in 1999. Once TDK and Marvel/Disney took things to another level, people think we can just "erase things from canon" with one film. It will make everything ok. Get over it lol
I think it has more to do with the unique opportunity a storyline like DOFP presents. Fox can essentially "reboot" without rebooting. Much like Abrams' Star Trek, it won't totally erase the old movies, but give a new timeline that does not have to adhere to what came before. And better yet, it's a storyline from the comics. That's why I think many think (including myself) that it would be a waste if Wolverine's actions in the past simply brought about the original trilogy. Those movies were mostly good, but by no means classics. It's time to move forward.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #980
magneto23
Side-Kick

I don't understand why people keep using "erased". These films aren't going anywhere. They are just, theoretically, getting separated from a new timeline. But DOFP will always be there as the connection between timelines. Nothing is getting "erased".

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #981
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
So it won't be the OT.And the viral site doesn't jibe with the OT so how can DOFP be connected at all to OT If viral site Is part of film's storyline
I'm with you. I think there's something fishy about this viral article. Either it's being intentionally misleading (which is certainly possible), or there's a timeline out there where Erik was framed and sat in prison for 50 years instead of committing his OT shenanigans.

Even though I think it's a huge red flag that the article never explicitly states that Magneto never escaped, I do think the overall tone of it suggests that he never did. I also think Magneto's characterization seems really off compared to his OT counterpart.
- BB Magneto: Warns a guard of a dangerous medical condition. OT!Magneto: rips the iron out of a guard in order to escape (I presume he killed him)
- BB Magneto: Barely speaks or communicates with guards or visitors; OT!Magneto: has congenial chess-playing visits with Charles Xavier, gladly breaks into proselytizing for his cause

I also find it suspicious that if Magneto DID break out of prison prior to X1, why would he risk going to a congressional hearing at the beginning of X1? I mean, Xavier spotted him pretty easily. Would Magneto really be THAT stupid if he were on the FBI's most wanted list?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #982
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
I don't understand why people keep using "erased". These films aren't going anywhere. They are just, theoretically, getting separated from a new timeline. But DOFP will always be there as the connection between timelines. Nothing is getting "erased".
But it won't even be going that far. They've said some things will stay. We just don't know how much or what. Everyone needs to quit with the "erased" stuff and the the theory that the altered future will be completely different from the old. It obviously won't. It will still have things we'd recognize from OT.

As for the viral video. Until if and when we're told the FC and OT timelines aren't connected, it doesn't say they aren't.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #983
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Remember in 2000 and 2003 when Fox aired those X-Men specials pre-release day? Those were the days lol.

anyway,

I think it would be cool for Fox to use youtube and make viral videos. For example, have a mock news conference with the President in 2006 or a couple of years later. He states how the ALcatraz incident and the cure failing has left them no choice but to return to Project Wideawake.

I have a strong feeling that the Alcatraz indeed plays in the new Mark X program. X3, looking back on it, can make DOFP work that way.

I would love to see them make a new poster with mutants from the OT and XOW who are present as either captured or terminated.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #984
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
I think it has more to do with the unique opportunity a storyline like DOFP presents. Fox can essentially "reboot" without rebooting. Much like Abrams' Star Trek, it won't totally erase the old movies, but give a new timeline that does not have to adhere to what came before. And better yet, it's a storyline from the comics. That's why I think many think (including myself) that it would be a waste if Wolverine's actions in the past simply brought about the original trilogy. Those movies were mostly good, but by no means classics. It's time to move forward.
If Wolverine's actions lead to the OT I think fanboys around the world would have an epic meltdown lol. Fox would not survive lmao.

I know it is too early to tell but I believe Fox see's the writing on the wall and the potential to continue the franchise in a JJ Abrams manner. Since it is Mr. Singer at the helm, after the way they parted ways before, I think its a good sign.

I want this movie in theaters now!! The wait is excruciating!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #985
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If films are no longer part of contunity they are no longer part of series.So they erased from relvence.If nothing in those films count In contunity then like all of Star Trek prior to 2009,and I find it funny how they could do film celebrating 50 years of star trek In 2016 If only 2 films count as trek history now,they are no longer relvent and part of series anymore.
If rumored ending Is right then time travel brings X-Men to 6 or 7 films depending if you think Origins Is canon to only 2 films at end of DOFP

Rebooting means all before never happened and has no relvence to any future films.The next wolverine won't be third solo film or sequel to the wolverine it will be solo film for wolverine In new timeline.

The new james bond film coming In november 2015 isn't bond 24 it's bond 4.The next Star Trek film Is third film In series not 13th

I have already seen what happens when you do the abrams method.Best for anyone who likes the exsisting films other than FC to stay away.Charcters young In trilogy may start showing up at close to same age In 1970's or 1980's
The rumored ending hints at Magneto never being a villain.You can make case the viral video wants people to view magneto as victim.So characters can be radical different

Inconsentsy won't matter
Since other films are being erased what Inconsentsys

Some try to claim other films matter since they lead to DOFP.I call BS on that. Viral campagin already conterdicting trilogy.It's same with Star Trek.Both are going to try to fool some In saying well those stories you like still count.But,then they will turn out and conderdict everything In them.Star Trek Into Darkness couldn't even be true to what's established as trek history prior to opening of 2009 film time travel.It will be same here.

With Star Trek nothing prior to 2009 film Is relvent to franchice anymore.And after DOFP only first Class and 1973 parts of Days of future past will be relvent to franchise.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #986
Farren
Side Kicker

Folks have already spotted what looks like Emma Frost handiwork in the BB article, but it occurred to me that maybe she's the person Erik is referring to in the article (at the trial and to reporters) and NOT Raven. Maybe Raven had nothing to do with the assassinations in the sixties and Erik knew it. J Lawrence has said that the assassination in DoFP is her first kill, so unless she's being deceptive or misleading, that means she didn't kill anyone in 1963.
Oswald was not Kennedy's killer, Lehnsherr told the court. The true murderer was still at large, and "will very likely never be caught." Lehnsherr refused to say any more about the matter under cross-examination.

..."I did not shoot your president," he told the jury. "But I do know who did, and you'll never find her. She has a way of hiding in plain sight."

...Who manipulated Oswald? If not Lehnsherr, then what man put him up there in the Book Depository? Why did Lehnsherr want to kill the president in the first place? Was it because Kennedy created Project:WideAwake, the CIA force that killed Brotherhood of Mutant members Azazel and Tempest earlier that year?

Perhaps it's the mention of his old, long-dead comrades that sparks the sudden movement...or perhaps it's something else...but Lehnsherr leans forward now...He opens his mouth, and -- for the first time in fifty years -- speaks to a reporter.

"Whoever said it was Oswald in the warehouse?" he says....

"And whoever says the killer was a man. And whoever said I wanted Kennedy dead because my brothers and sisters were being killed?"
She might have even mind controlled Erik if her powers were comparable to Charles's (and my guess is they are). Note that he doesn't have his special helmet on at the grassy knoll. She could have caught him off guard. (Or she could have even mind controlled Mystique).

I also think it's possible Emma could have been working with the CIA (or a rogue branch) to further her own ends. I never really felt comfortable with the Hellfire Club as being so extreme as they were in FC -- I mean, it was fine for the movie, but it didn't fit with their comic counterparts. The Hellfire Club was always about riding the status quo, not about destroying it. I think it would be more in character for her to attach herself to the people in authority (the CIA) than Erik, a man with no personal ambition or greed.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #987
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The idea of Magneto being mind controlled Is bad idea.You defently have to wonder If fox doesn't want to portray Michael Fassbender as Villain.

It would work better If Magneto directed a brotherhood plan.Mystique posing as oswald.Magneto making sure the bullets hit kennedy,and emma frost mind controlling jack ruby to kill real oswald.And magneto turns himself In to keep government away from Mystique.

Instead It wouldn't surprise me If anti mutant human group Is responable and the mutants are fall guys for it.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #988
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
If films are no longer part of contunity they are no longer part of series.So they erased from relvence.If nothing in those films count In contunity then like all of Star Trek prior to 2009,and I find it funny how they could do film celebrating 50 years of star trek In 2016 If only 2 films count as trek history now,they are no longer relvent and part of series anymore.
If rumored ending Is right then time travel brings X-Men to 6 or 7 films depending if you think Origins Is canon to only 2 films at end of DOFP

Rebooting means all before never happened and has no relvence to any future films.The next wolverine won't be third solo film or sequel to the wolverine it will be solo film for wolverine In new timeline.

The new james bond film coming In november 2015 isn't bond 24 it's bond 4.The next Star Trek film Is third film In series not 13th

I have already seen what happens when you do the abrams method.Best for anyone who likes the exsisting films other than FC to stay away.Charcters young In trilogy may start showing up at close to same age In 1970's or 1980's
The rumored ending hints at Magneto never being a villain.You can make case the viral video wants people to view magneto as victim.So characters can be radical different

Inconsentsy won't matter
Since other films are being erased what Inconsentsys

Some try to claim other films matter since they lead to DOFP.I call BS on that. Viral campagin already conterdicting trilogy.It's same with Star Trek.Both are going to try to fool some In saying well those stories you like still count.But,then they will turn out and conderdict everything In them.Star Trek Into Darkness couldn't even be true to what's established as trek history prior to opening of 2009 film time travel.It will be same here.

With Star Trek nothing prior to 2009 film Is relvent to franchice anymore.And after DOFP only first Class and 1973 parts of Days of future past will be relvent to franchise.
You keep saying the older Star Trek films and TV shows are no longer relevant, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the J.J. Abrams version that is not relevant.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness are not Star Trek. The same way, as far as I'm concerned, any rebooted version of X-Men will not truly be X-Men.

Star Trek is William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, etc...

This new thing is just some bland knockoff. It's not true Star Trek.

New Bonds aren't reboots. They are a recasting. No different than Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton, or George Lazenby. Bond movies never had much in the way of a continuity anyways, and are just a bunch of stand alone films.

Star Trek reboot is not real Star Trek, just as X-Men reboot will not be real X-Men.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #989
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
You keep saying the older Star Trek films and TV shows are no longer relevant, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the J.J. Abrams version that is not relevant.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness are not Star Trek. The same way, as far as I'm concerned, any rebooted version of X-Men will not truly be X-Men.

Star Trek is William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, etc...

This new thing is just some bland knockoff. It's not true Star Trek.

New Bonds aren't reboots. They are a recasting. No different than Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton, or George Lazenby. Bond movies never had much in the way of a continuity anyways, and are just a bunch of stand alone films.

Star Trek reboot is not real Star Trek, just as X-Men reboot will not be real X-Men.

If your a long time Star Trek fan and wants to see new stories then new films don't jibe with anything established In any trek show or film.There Is reason
Into darkness Is divisie film among longtime trek fans.The best thing for pre2009 fans is decide which of past shows and films of trek they like and make that their trek.I did recently a complete rewatch of all 7 seasons of Star Trek DS9 and I like those so much better than Star Wars lite abrams gave us.

It's going to be funny here If rumored ending is one on screen may 23 then some who have bashed Bryan Singer will now be prasing him.

Now i have to disagree with you on bond.In past every recasting was just continuing on In the loose contunity of bond but when Danial Craig took over it as a restart.You can't view it as carrying on from Die another day,and you can't really view the craig films leading into Sean Connery films.So yeah they are reboot.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #990
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

But Die Another Day wasn't carrying on from The World Is Not Enough...

There are -some- minor continuity consistencies, like a couple recurring characters here and there and such, but otherwise, they are completely stand alone adventures.

You can't see Pierce Brosnan as the same Bond that Connery played - the character didn't age in 30 years!

And again, as I said in regards to Star Trek - Star Trek 2009 has absolutely no bearing or relevance on Star Trek lore or continuity, because as far as I'm concerned, it's not Star Trek. In my book, it is completely discounted and has nothing to do what so ever with Star Trek.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #991
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

We know that Singer specifically looked at the Terminator and BttF franchises with regards to the time travel elements of the story he's telling in DoFP, which means that, despite what some people might think, the multiple-timelines theory isn't entirely out of the question.

One more wrinkle to add to the equation: my understanding of the mid-credits scene from The Wolverine is that it implied that Trask Industries was just emerging onto the world market as a major corporate and 'quasi-government' entity when Xavier found Wolverine in the airport, even though the TI viral site promoted the company as having been around since the 70s.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 11-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #992
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's going to be funny here If rumored ending is one on screen may 23 then some who have bashed Bryan Singer will now be prasing him.
People will not be judging the film and Singer on if the rumored ending is a reboot or erases the OT's history alone. The film itself has to be good first and foremost. That's what everyone cares about.

Last edited by def28; 11-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #993
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

How is the rumoured ending even a reboot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
We know that Singer specifically looked at the Terminator and BttF franchises with regards to the time travel elements of the story he's telling in DoFP, which means that, despite what some people might think, the multiple-timelines theory isn't entirely out of the question.

One more wrinkle to add to the equation: my understanding of the mid-credits scene from The Wolverine is that it implied that Trask Industries was just emerging onto the world market as a major corporate and 'quasi-government' entity when Xavier found Wolverine in the airport, even though the TI viral site promoted the company as having been around since the 70s.
No, actually, it doesn't imply that. It merely says Trask industries is prominent at that time and is making Sentinels. It could easily have been off the radar and doing less prominent work through the OT timeline. Which the Trask industries own info actually basically said. They were working on other things around that time.

People really need to stop reading into things far too much without the official evidence to back it up. No it's not impossible, what you say. But it's also not close to being confirmed by what we have so far. Or by what has been said. I'm waiting to be told there is multiple timelines before I go off on wild theories about it. If there is, fair enough. But if there isn't, like the evidence would more heavily support, then people are going to end up frustrating themselves.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #994
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
Remember in 2000 and 2003 when Fox aired those X-Men specials pre-release day? Those were the days lol.

anyway,

I think it would be cool for Fox to use youtube and make viral videos. For example, have a mock news conference with the President in 2006 or a couple of years later. He states how the ALcatraz incident and the cure failing has left them no choice but to return to Project Wideawake.

I have a strong feeling that the Alcatraz indeed plays in the new Mark X program. X3, looking back on it, can make DOFP work that way.

I would love to see them make a new poster with mutants from the OT and XOW who are present as either captured or terminated.
I think the cure failing will be the primary reason that Sentinels are used against mutants. Through X1-X3 they used increasingly desperate measures to try and control mutants. They thought they had succeeded with the cure, when they find out they haven't it would push for more drastic and aggressive measures. Hence the use of Sentinels after X3.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #995
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

It's still kind of surreal when I think on how we're finally getting a film that's continuing the story for the Present Day (Original Trilogy) X-Men.

For a good while, I honestly thought that the ending to X-3 would be the "finale" for the present day X-Men stories given it's traditional happy ending type of feeling with Logan walking outside on the balcony and soaking in the feeling of finally finding a place to settle supposedly.

And when First Class came out, I figured that it was pretty much a nail in the coffin to the present day X-Men and that the only x-men related films that we could possibly get that takes place in the present day would be Wolverine solo films.

X-Men is definitely the longest comic book genre franchise that I've seen so far. Everyone else has been rebooted in some form but X-Men continues to manage in maintaining the continuity that was first established in the first film that came out 13 years ago.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #996
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
How is the rumoured ending even a reboot?
While it wouldn't be your typical hollywood reboot leaving everything behind, It would have a new starting point (or end, depending on what they do) for the OT and make First Class a completely separate timeline. Watching the prior films would no longer be required viewing. They would be optional for new viewers. You could start with FC (which was already a semi reboot in its own way with an all new cast and no required knowledge of previous films) and not have to end with the original trilogy in order to follow the franchise because it would no longer be canon for FC. Its still a form of starting over.

Last edited by def28; 11-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #997
xrs13
Cold as ice

Its actually a really clever way of rebooting, they seem to have found a way to actually make both franchises continue whilst "erasing" some of the past mistakes.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #998
def28
Side-Kick

I agree, and it's still being respectful to the previous films.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #999
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If rumors are true and a Trek situation Is on the horzions then there Isn't going to be respect for past films much longer.

and with all the attacks some have levels at X-Men films for being unfaithful to
comics
why the idea of magneto never being a villain with rumored ending and viral campagin hinting at him being framed
Isn't being
critized Is beyond me.

Days of future Past Is looking like swan song for most of OT cast
since all their past films are being erased In the ending after wolverine awakens after time travel mission In new 2023

The reaction If rumors are reality when film opens will likely divide people Into various camps
1:Those who think FC Is best X-Men film and wanted all other X-men films erased will be happy
2:Those against reboot or trek 2009 situation and who think X2 Is best X-Men film unhappy
3:Those happy that some form of reboot happen
4:Those unhappy that reboot didn't go all the way and also erased first class
5:Those unhappy that it's fox and Bryan SInger doing film

Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #1000
Samarus
Side-Kick

One thing we know for sure (almost) is that wolverine's time-travel-mission will change the present (2023). Assuming this movie will have a happy end I would love some bittersweetness. How about the idea the changes also include one beloved mutant to never be born or something like that. What do you think about this idea and who could be the beloved mutant?

Closed Thread