The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Age of Extinction

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #326
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Transformers 4 is going to be AWESOME.

Peltz was in The Last Airbender right? God I hope that she's better here than she was there, that was physically painful to sit through. As for Bay claiming that this movie will be "more serious" I'm pretty sure that he said the same thing about DOTM, and we STILL got half the movie being pointless, annoying, unfunny, vulgar "humor" if not more that half. Still, Wahlberg, Tucci, and Grammer being in this means that I will give Bay ONE MORE chance to make a good film (I actually enjoyed the first film, the sequels sucked).

Old 11-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #327
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I actually liked most of the goofiness in the last one.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #328
Loki882
Side-Kick

That's fine, but I find having the Transformers reduced to being guest stars in their own franchise while we focus on Shia LeBouf whining about how much his life sucks while having nice big apartment, a hot GF, and his government's thanks to be irritating. The crude sex humor was not funny and the offensive humor is just disgusting. "Deep Wang" man did I want that guy to die SO MUCH, it's not funny Bay not matter how many times you try to repeat it, the stereotypical Gay man wasn't funny either. Also, Optimus Prime being a homicidal sociopath wasn't cool either.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #329
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I agree with your complaint about Sam. Didn't really feel bad for him. As for hating on that toilet bowl humor, I laughed at most of it.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #330
Lord
All Mighty

DotM was still quite dark actually, those were actually my favorite parts of the film, when it was focusing on the Decepticons taking out humans and the sequence in Chernobyl. The militar should have a much bigger role than "normal guys" like Shia and this new group

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #331
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I, to be honest, loved that 50 minute climax. Ridiculously awesome.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #332
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #333
#root
Side-Kick

Is Bumblebee getting an upgrade again?
These movies get a lot of flack but I'll enjoy it so long as the Transformers don't feel like extras in this. ROTF was the worst at this. Other than Optimus, Bumblebee and the twins, it felt like the rest of the autobots just stood around in the background. Barely even noticed some of them.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #334
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I get part of it is budget reasons, but I would assume Bay has the pull and the tenure to keep them onscreen for a good amount of time. If Cameron can bust out Avatar, Bay has the resources to keep them integral. Those scenes where the Autobots are just discussing **** amongst themselves or attempting to hide in Sam's yard are some of the better ones.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #335
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

So Galvatron or is it still Megatron?Would find it hard to believe Megatron was back in business after what a one handed Optimus did to him in DOTM.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #336
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
DotM was still quite dark actually, those were actually my favorite parts of the film, when it was focusing on the Decepticons taking out humans and the sequence in Chernobyl. The militar should have a much bigger role than "normal guys" like Shia and this new group
I actually wouldn't mind more military showboating if it were used as a serious commentary on how humanity would react and adapt to such a threat.

And if it weren't coinciding with the typical teenaged bs we got with Shia. The whole franchise seems to appeal mostly to dude bros. If it were treated more seriously, than I'd be all for the military having a much larger role than the previous films.

Hopefully with Mark Walhberg as a lead, I can at least appreciate the human perspective this time. But even so, would it kill them to let us in on the robot perspective on things? Give us emotions and opinions from Optimus and Bumblebee, cause they're far more interesting than any human cast.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #337
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I get part of it is budget reasons, but I would assume Bay has the pull and the tenure to keep them onscreen for a good amount of time. If Cameron can bust out Avatar, Bay has the resources to keep them integral. Those scenes where the Autobots are just discussing **** amongst themselves or attempting to hide in Sam's yard are some of the better ones.
Even the Navi took the backseat to the humans. Hollywood has yet to make a live action film that isn't sold on humans. The Red Carpet aspect of this alone. It's a far different story with something like avengers, even the casting of a human villain a machine works for everyone involved with something like that. Same with Pacific Rim and it's leads.

With TF, The producers face a particular set of obstacles and thus far they have turned out one of the most lucrative franchises out. Optimus and Bee get plenty of time. Till then I mostly see it as the ET approach only with more action and less heart. I'd prefer something more of the Hobbit approach to collateral characters but one has to appreciate the cost of putting rendering these things out on screen.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #338
Loki882
Side-Kick

Not really, other than Sam Worthington, the human characters were actually not all that prominent of developed. Sigourney Weaver is the closest. The problem is that if you're not OP or Bumblebee, then you get pretty much NOTHING in the way of development or characterization. And the one's that DO get actual screentime are the annoying one's like Wheelie or the Twins. The Decepticons get it even worse. Most of them don't get names, don't speak, show up completely out of the blue with no explanation, and are all the same silver and grey color so that it's almost impossible to tell them apart, especially during the action scenes. Really the ONLY one of them to get any kind of character stuff is Megatron, and he's treated like a punk in both ROTF and DOTM. Seriously Bay, you resolve the epic and legendary rivalry between OP and Megatron with a 10 second slaughter where Megatron doesn't get throw ONE punch before dying, not cool.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #339
Marvin
Side-Kick

The point was that Avatar was about humans. As all live action films are. The same way TF is about a boy and his car and his story from that into manhood and self assertion.
As for the development of Optimus and Bee, like cap they don't arc, they just face obstacles.

As for the comedy relief, TF has characters that do that just as Disney movies do. Only with TF fans didn't sign up for it.

As for offensive jokes, when's the last time groups of people walked out of the hang over feeling offended. It is what it is, comedy. It's not for everyone.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #340
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Yeah, Kruger actually didnt do bad for TF3, there was still some goofiness but it wasnt as bad as the 2nd movie.

The 1st one still has the best tone out of all of them, so it sounds like maybe he is going more towards that or even more serious than the 1st movie. Either way it will be welcome from me.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #341
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Peltz was in The Last Airbender right? God I hope that she's better here than she was there, that was physically painful to sit through.
TLA didn't do anyone any favors. I wouldn't begrudge her too much for that. Her more recent work was in the A&E hit series Bates Motel.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #342
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The point was that Avatar was about humans. As all live action films are. The same way TF is about a boy and his car and his story from that into manhood and self assertion.
As for the development of Optimus and Bee, like cap they don't arc, they just face obstacles.

As for the comedy relief, TF has characters that do that just as Disney movies do. Only with TF fans didn't sign up for it.

As for offensive jokes, when's the last time groups of people walked out of the hang over feeling offended. It is what it is, comedy. It's not for everyone.
I'll defend the humor in the first one, and maybe the third, but not the second. Comedy and humor comes in different variety but they have to funny. Transformers 2 was just awful.

Keep in mind that I even enjoyed the nihilistic humor of Pain & Gain. It felt appropriate for that type of film.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #343
Visceral
Side-Kick

I wonder if Wahlberg is Witwicky all grown up.

I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #344
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
TLA didn't do anyone any favors. I wouldn't begrudge her too much for that. Her more recent work was in the A&E hit series Bates Motel.
It's a shame Bay will only exploit her hotness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'll defend the humor in the first one, and maybe the third, but not the second. Comedy and humor comes in different variety but they have to funny. Transformers 2 was just awful.

Keep in mind that I even enjoyed the nihilistic humor of Pain & Gain. It felt appropriate for that type of film.
Yeah, the first and the third movies were funny. Pain and Gain too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
I wonder if Wahlberg is Witwicky all grown up.
What? Does that mean Sam moved to Boston?

Nah, Wahlberg's character is some mechanic inventor guy named Cade, who discovers a robot.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #345
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Wahlberg is Sam's cousin is my guess.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #346
Loki882
Side-Kick

You know, Epps and Lennox were fairly interesting/enjoyable. If the movies had focused on them, then I might have been more ok with it. Hopefully, Wahlberg is more like them than he is like LeBeouf.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #347
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, Im surprised they didn't become a focus.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #348
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Same here, they got more screen-time in the sequels sure, but they should have been more focused on, especially as they were working with the Autobots.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #349
Ipodman
Love Tension

Probably because they look too "grown up". Shia Lebouf has that baby-ish cuteness that the studio figure kids will relate to

Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #350
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Well IMO thats stupid, the kids go for the Transformers, nothing else. When my nephews are running around playing after seeing one of them they are shouting "I am Optimus" or I Am Bumblebee," NEVER have I heard them say "I am Sam!" And I doubt I ever will.

Closed Thread