The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #251
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
You don't KNOW any such thing.
TBH, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that post. We on here may BELEIVE that Affleck will be a good/bad Batman [and can try and back that belief up with reasons why we believe so] but ultimately none of us actually KNOW how good/bad he'll be until we see him on screen; so to declare such an absolute is a bit ridiculous.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #252
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Yeah, it is annoying. I'm a supporter of Affleck but even I can't say with 100% certainty that he won't suck in the role. And all of these people declaring that they "know" he'll be terrible don't have any true basis for that. My fear is that these people are so determined to be right that they'll go into the movie with their minds already made up.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #253
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Basically what it boils down to is that Affleck has enough genre savvy to already know how he plans to play it, and it's doubtful he would take a role if he wasn't sure he had something in place regarding an interpretation. Now whether you like it or not will be subjective.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #254
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
TBH, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that post. We on here may BELEIVE that Affleck will be a good/bad Batman [and can try and back that belief up with reasons why we believe so] but ultimately none of us actually KNOW how good/bad he'll be until we see him on screen; so to declare such an absolute is a bit ridiculous.
Exactly. I personally see no reason why he couldn't do a bang up job, but all kinds of factors can come into play between now and when we see the movie. But at least, I'm willing to wait until it happens to make a judgement either way, it's the only fair approach.

*splat*
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #255
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I don't, but I know he won't make a good batman. His best bet would be to use computer engineering to deepen his voice and speak as little as possible. I mean use his eyes and body language to speak for him.
Not only do you know he won't make a Batman, you also know how he should play the role and how the character should be written. You, sir, are on a higher level than us al!

Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #256
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, it is annoying. I'm a supporter of Affleck but even I can't say with 100% certainty that he won't suck in the role. And all of these people declaring that they "know" he'll be terrible don't have any true basis for that. My fear is that these people are so determined to be right that they'll go into the movie with their minds already made up.
Indeed. They'll come out of the movie saying "See, I told you he'd suck." Whether or not he actually was bad at it or not.

*splat*
Old 11-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #257
third
Banned User

I just base my opinions on his past works, and whilst I appreciate his new found maturity and directing skills, as an actor I have never believed that I am watching anyone other than just Ben Affleck.

I'm not saying that it could NEVER work, just that I find it highly unlikely.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #258
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Indeed. They'll come out of the movie saying "See, I told you he'd suck." Whether or not he actually was bad at it or not.
Fanboys and fangirls also said that:

- Heath Ledger could not work as Joker;
- Anne Hathaway was not sexy enough work as Catwoman;
- Henry Cavill was too short to be Superman;
- Jennifer Lawrence was too fat to be Mystique;
- Chris Evans was too metrosexual to be Captain America;

etc.

I really would't worry. The uproar over Affleck being Batman was confused and illiterate, I expect it to disappear by the time the movie is released, heck I think most have already forgotten now.

These fan complaints about casting are virtually never worth taking seriously.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #259
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only way Affleck can supersede all the pessimism and spiteful reactions, is to really deliver an outstanding performance. Something that is so undeniably good that saying otherwise only makes you look foolish. I can't think of a single instance where this hasn't failed for other roles. The most recent examples being Heath/Joker and Craig/Bond.

But if Affleck "merely" delivers a satisfactory or average performance (read: not bad at all, but nothing remarkable), then I can definitely see people sticking to their original gut reactions that he wasn't fit for the part.

And I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. Ben absolutely should knock it out of the park, considering the pressure he deliberately walked into. I say this even as a staunch supporter of his casting; I too, would be very disappointed if I wasn't astounded by his interpretation.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #260
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post

etc.

I really would't worry. The uproar over Affleck being Batman was confused and illiterate, I expect it to disappear by the time the movie is released, heck I think most have already forgotten now.

These fan complaints about casting are virtually never worth taking seriously.
Exactly. I'd also like to add that their was a huge backlash from The Hunger Games fans about Lawrence landing the lead role and now those people look silly beyond words now. Fanboys and fangirls do not know anything.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #261
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Exactly. I'd also like to add that their was a huge backlash from The Hunger Games fans about Lawrence landing the lead role and now those people look silly beyond words now. Fanboys and fangirls do not know anything.
They sure know how to *****, though.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #262
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Daniel Craig as Bond too. Remember the website, what was it, 'noblondebond.com' or something?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #263
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I didn't like JLaw as Mystique because she just didn't fit the role, acting wise, in my humble opinion. Rebecca Romijn NAILED ! the part and they should have either leave Mystique out of the prequels or do something with cgi and keep Rebecca in the film.

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #264
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

They wrote the character to be a bubbly teenager and that's how it was played. Take it up with the screenwriters, Lawrence didn't write that role despite what X-Men fans keep saying.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #265
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that the anti-Affleck crowd will say he sucks no matter what. If Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton and the like have proven anything, it's that fandom is very willing to eat crow and have their minds changed if it's warranted.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #266
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I think that most will conceed that they think Affleck did a good job if they do but a very small minority will never judge the performance on it's own merit and like it or hate it totally independent of what his performance actually is.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #267
shauner111
Side-Kick

Some will be so surprised if it's good, that theyll admit they were wrong. Becoming new fans immediately.

Others will say he did a lot better than they expected but will still nitpick him because he's Affleck and he's no method actor. He's in his 40s and has been in the limelight since the 90s. We all know how he acts.

I dont think people will completely hate on his performance even if he does a good job though. Fanboys are idiots for jumping to conclusions but if he's good, theyll treat him like Ledger, Keaton and Hathaway.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #268
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that the anti-Affleck crowd will say he sucks no matter what. If Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton and the like have proven anything, it's that fandom is very willing to eat crow and have their minds changed if it's warranted.
Yeah that true, but fandom never seems to actually learn their lesson. They admit that they were wrong, but then precede to make the SAME kind of knee-jerk assumptions whenever another even slightly out of the box casting choice is made DESPITE having been just proven wrong the last time. You can admit that you're wrong, but if you keep making the same mistake over and over again, then you clearly have trouble learning from your mistakes.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #269
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

We're not here to learn, we're here to be entertained.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #270
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah that true, but fandom never seems to actually learn their lesson. They admit that they were wrong, but then precede to make the SAME kind of knee-jerk assumptions whenever another even slightly out of the box casting choice is made DESPITE having been just proven wrong the last time. You can admit that you're wrong, but if you keep making the same mistake over and over again, then you clearly have trouble learning from your mistakes.
This is also true, haha. And so onward the cycle goes. But really, with Affleck I don't think there was any way around some initial backlash. Even WB tried to warn him.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #271
roach
I am the night

as I keep posting…the only role that will determine if Ben Affleck will be good or bad as Batman is Batman

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #272
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

What are people so worried about exactly with Ben Affleck? That he doesn't look the part or won't act the part?

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th
Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #273
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

^ Voyage of The Mimi. It's always gonna come down to Voyage of The Mimi.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #274
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post

Heh, yeah. These fears were ridiculously silly. Especially the second one.

The Affleck shock and backlash seems very old hat to me. Surely even the biggest doubter should be in the wait and see phase by now? I don't see anything to get worked up over.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #275
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Heh, yeah. These fears were ridiculously silly. Especially the second one.

The Affleck shock and backlash seems very old hat to me. Surely even the biggest doubter should be in the wait and see phase by now? I don't see anything to get worked up over.

Hmm... Sober and evenhanded assessment. Hand in your mouse and keyboard. We don't want your kind on the 'net.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Closed Thread