The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: which did you enjoy more MOS or Thor TDW ?
MOS by miles 85 61.15%
MOS by a little 17 12.23%
enjoyed them both the same 8 5.76%
enjoyed Thor by a little 9 6.47%
Thor TDW by miles 18 12.95%
didn't like either of them 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #101
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
same goes to twilight and the hunger games.
i can't even finish watching twilight 2 and hunger games 1.
I can see eveything else but hunger games?

Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #102
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

I choose Man of Steel over Thor 2.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #103
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
I can see eveything else but hunger games?
maybe my poor English... but i found it really bored n couldn't finish the movie.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #104
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
maybe my poor English... but i found it really bored n couldn't finish the movie.
No I understood just fine lol.....to each their own I guess

Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #105
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Thor was ok for me... didn't like the fact that when his
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
mother die and he barely show emotion and guilt for not getting there on time to save her... Even Superman show more emotion after killing Zod... You felt the heartbreak and how hurt he was... Also didn't like the final fight... it wasn't as epic as MOS was and the main villain barely show how powerful he was when he acquire his new power. Thor seem weak and helpless without his hammer... If MOS superman were to go up against this Thor he would own him.
Thor was OK just not great. MOS by a mile...

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #106
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
Thor was ok for me... didn't like the fact that when his
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
mother die and he barely show emotion and guilt for not getting there on time to save her... Even Superman show more emotion after killing Zod... You felt the heartbreak and how hurt he was... Also didn't like the final fight... it wasn't as epic as MOS was and the main villain barely show how powerful he was when he acquire his new power. Thor seem weak and helpless without his hammer... If MOS superman were to go up against this Thor he would own him.
Thor was OK just not great. MOS by a mile...

Dude ! I really liked TDW, it was great fun, but totally agree it was nowhere near the Earth-shattering Epic that MOS was -100% pure awesomeness.

Also, I started some threads about Thor (from TDW) in a fight vs Supes (from MOS), go out there and stick up for the Man of Steel .

(BTW, even on the Thor thread where I put a poll, more people think Kal-El would take down Thor )

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #107
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
No I understood just fine lol.....to each their own I guess
I found it like a superbored mortal combat teenage version. Why is hunger games so interesting.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #108
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
I found it like a superbored mortal combat teenage version. Why is hunger games so interesting.
I don't know sf2 lol....I guess cause of the suspense of figuring out who's gonna survive and ofcourse JL mainly...but to stay on topic I fell asleep on the beginning of Thor lol, partly cause of time and how tired I was but from what I saw it was ok, but I don't know I'm just not excited as I was with avengers......I feel like the marvel solos are just appetizers for me, and avengers 2 is the main course....and I'm starting to get full already.....

Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #109
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

Hard pick since I love the crap out of both films, but I'll give this one to MoS. As great as TDW was, MoS had more emotional resonance & it's just hard to beat the scale of the action in it as well.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #110
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I liked both movies, but Thor: The Dark World edges it for me.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #111
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I mentioned this awhile back, it's kind of amazing on how many similarities "Man of Steel" shares with "Thor: The Dark World".

• Both Zod and Malekith had large spaceships in their respective films, with smaller fighter crafts at their disposal as well.

• I've read enough posts to realize that people generally thought Faora and Kurse (both of whom are the second-in-command of their villainous teams) came off as more "bad-ass" than their leaders (Zod and Malekith), especially when it came to inflicting some serious damage towards the main heroes.

• The Kryptonians, led by General Zod, and the Dark Elves had armor that consisted of both groups wearing masks that helped them adjust to certain climates.

• Gotta admit, I found these shots filmed somewhat similar when it came to framing the characters.

• Both Superman and Thor's enemies are responsible for murdering at least one of their parents, with Zod having killed Jor-el and Malekith having killed Frigga....and with both having died by being stabbed near their lower abdomen.

Other similarities that the films share with each other are:
  • Superman and Thor both fight their main villains (Zod and Malekith) in a battle that ends up taking place throughout their respective cities.

Despite all of the destruction that has taken place from both of their villains, the aftermath is somewhat ignored and we're rushed to the films' respective endings.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:46 AM   #112
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I mentioned this awhile back, it's kind of amazing on how many similarities "Man of Steel" shares with "Thor: The Dark World".

• Both Zod and Malekith had large spaceships in their respective films, with smaller fighter crafts at their disposal as well.

• I've read enough posts to realize that people generally thought Faora and Kurse (both of whom are the second-in-command of their villainous teams) came off as more "bad-ass" than their leaders (Zod and Malekith), especially when it came to inflicting some serious damage towards the main heroes.

• The Kryptonians, led by General Zod, and the Dark Elves had armor that consisted of both groups wearing masks that helped them adjust to certain climates.

• Gotta admit, I found these shots filmed somewhat similar when it came to framing the characters.

• Both Superman and Thor's enemies are responsible for murdering at least one of their parents, with Zod having killed Jor-el and Malekith having killed Frigga....and with both having died by being stabbed near their lower abdomen.

Other similarities that the films share with each other are:
  • Superman and Thor both fight their main villains (Zod and Malekith) in a battle that ends up taking place throughout their respective cities.

Despite all of the destruction that has taken place from both of their villains, the aftermath is somewhat ignored and we're rushed to the films' respective endings.
Those are some very interesting comparisons. I think you're definitely onto something with most of them......but not with Faora v Kurse. Faora has ten times more personality, and is much more badass, and hot too (and not in a Kurse, burning stuff way). Kurse gets a spear through him, and gets killed by a grenade....Faora takes a missile in the face, and it only messes up her hair.

As for the Dark Elves vs the Kryptonians, the Dark Elves are pretty much Cannon fodder. Two Kryptonians nearly kick the crap out of Supes, and take out a platoon of soldiers and some jets and helicopters.
The Dark Elves are kind of creepy, but the kryptonians are just bad-ass.

I really liked Thor TDW, but really think the major difference is emotional resonance. MOS is the story of a hero's journey from birth, to discovering his true identity to fulfilling his destiny and saving his adopted planet.

Thor is the story of a spoiled demi-god with daddy issues who learns to not be such a jackass over the space of one weekend, in New Mexico.

Thor TDW shows him a bit more grown up, but that's about as far as it gets in terms of his character development. Really, the most interesting relationship he has is with his brother (arguably because Hiddleston's Loki is the best of all Marvel's characters), Anthony Hopkins is great as Odin, but doesn't kick as much ass as Jor El. The Loki death scene is a good bit....until of course we find out he's still alive, although we already knew that because Marvel can't kill off it's best villain.

Now Zod, he's dead, because Superman had to make a hard choice.

And of course there's TDW's comedy sidekicks (and I'm not talking about the warrior's three, wish I was), because every great superhero movie needs wacky sidekicks, right ? **** no. Iron Man, any comedy sidekicks there, nope, Dark Knight, other than the sarcastic barbs of Alfred, not much comedy there.

Back to Zod, Zod is a more complex character than Malekith, who sacrificed his species so he could get away and then have a go at taking over the universe/destroying everything 5000 years later...... who's he going to rule with, since he sacrificed all his guys (including his best buddy Kurse)?

Plus Thor is just someone who's in Malekith's way, there's not the same connection between them that there is between Kal and Zod. Sure, Thor's grandad kicked his ass and he snuck off to sleep somewhere deep in space.
Zod has an intimate connection to Kal, he killed Kal's father, somewhat regretfully, but someone he knew personally, and he and Kal are inextricably tied to the fate of Krypton.

Okay, that's my ten cents, and I liked Thor TDW, it was good fun, and better than the first Thor movie, but it ain't the superhero odyssey that MOS is IMHO.

Very true about the rushed ending though.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #113
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

These films may have similarities but they're so different I don't think its fair to compare them.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #114
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

^ I don't recall it ever being stated that the Dark Elves wore masks specifically to help regulate their breathing on other planets.

And yeah, the two movies do share some similarities. But at the end of the day, imo, it's still not enough for either movie to be a carbon copy of the other.

I also don't believe TDW "rushed" it's ending as much as MoS. In TDW, it's ending is purposely set up in a way that leads into more stories, so it's not really rushed so much as it is specific. I can certainly understand one having that gripe towards MoS, though.

Btw, one thing I do think TDW holds over MoS is Asgard when compared to Krypton. Both are beautiful & absolutely stunning in every way due to the massive amounts of detail that went into the two worlds, but I found myself liking Asgard a lot more.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #115
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk-1700 View Post
^ I don't recall it ever being stated that the Dark Elves wore masks specifically to help regulate their breathing on other planets.

And yeah, the two movies do share some similarities. But at the end of the day, imo, it's still not enough for either movie to be a carbon copy of the other.

I also don't believe TDW "rushed" it's ending as much as MoS. In TDW, it's ending is purposely set up in a way that leads into more stories, so it's not really rushed so much as it is specific. I can certainly understand one having that gripe towards MoS, though.

Btw, one thing I do think TDW holds over MoS is Asgard when compared to Krypton. Both are beautiful & absolutely stunning in every way due to the massive amounts of detail that went into the two worlds, but I found myself liking Asgard a lot more.
I think if MOS came out first it would look more like Asgard. I remember Smallville's Krypton looking very similar to Asgard.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #116
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

I liked Asgard, but found the big pipe organ and the general look a bit cartoonish.
Especially the waterfall that falls out into space.

Krypton is supposed to be, and looks like, a dying world. Even the sun is old and tired.
Personally, I though Krypton was a lot more convincing as an alien landscape than
Asgard. But hey, it's a home for god-like beings, so fair enough.

If you watch the Krypton sequences frame by frame, an incredible level of detail is evident in the design. This is probably because Weta had a hand in it, and take an extraodinary amount of time on the most minute details
(e.g. I was an extra in the Hobbit, I'm visible for 7 seconds in the background of one post-battle scene in the first film, yet the leather straps that held my gauntlets on had detailing on them - now no DVD/Blu ray or even the hubble telescope would have picked up that level of detail, but they still put it in anyway)

As such, IMO Krypton is more convincing as an alien landscape. While I thought that dark elf technology was very cool, I preferred the tactile technology of the Kryptonians, but that's just my personal preference.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #117
Xhexania
Side-Kick

Hard to compare...
I like Marvel´s film, they entertain me a lot and have good acting and great plots; but I think the late generation of DC films, with Nolan behind them, gives them a tone that I like more toward serious treatment of the subjects, trying to adapt them into a sort of realism, of course there is not much with Superman compared to Nolan´s TDK.

I will say though that the weakness of Thor´s film was the reasons behind the main villain, not that they weren´t understandable but it was bland, compared to the reasons behind Zod & Faora in MoS, we see several the sadness and heart break for what happened to their planet during many times in the film, so in a way those sentiments behind the villains make them stronger opposition to the hero of the film. Thor did well in the first film with the villain, but here this time they needed another villain to not overuse Loki and give him a sort of pseudo-redemption plot that never actually was :P ...

In both films I like more the charisma of the villains, in Thor TDW Loki steals the movie and in MoS, it is Zod/Faora; the other actors do great jobs but somehow, they wash out a little compared to the rest the characters mentioned above.

The Soundtrack in MoS is superb!! and the design of Krypton amazing... IDK how Asgard is in the comics, but I didn´t relate it much to the Mythology, and the entire ship flying scene reminded me too much of Star Wars, but the prequels not the first films :P

Last edited by Xhexania; 02-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Xhexania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #118
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I think if MOS came out first it would look more like Asgard. I remember Smallville's Krypton looking very similar to Asgard.
I vividly remember Smallville's version of Krypton & it's vastly different from Asgard. It's much more similar to Donner's version of Krypton more so than anything else...just slightly updated.

In Smallville, Krypton is dark (most of the times it is shown), & full of crystalline structures. Asgard is filled with much more light, & favors beautifully constructed palaces & buildings instead.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #119
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk-1700 View Post
I vividly remember Smallville's version of Krypton & it's vastly different from Asgard. It's much more similar to Donner's version of Krypton more so than anything else...just slightly updated.

In Smallville, Krypton is dark (most of the times it is shown), & full of crystalline structures. Asgard is filled with much more light, & favors beautifully constructed palaces & buildings instead.

You right but in terms of the peak structures and design its similar to Asgard in that regard.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #120
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post

You right but in terms of the peak structures and design its similar to Asgard in that regard.
I can see a few similarities.

And as awesome as this looks I still prefer the MoS version of Krypton. I tend to prefer the interpretations that favor a more technological & warrior look to the planet as opposed to the arctic design.

Btw, I've come to believe that while MoS is the better film, TDW is probably the more entertaining of the two. But, at the same time it had the advantage of already having set up it's characters & mythology.

A more fair comparison would probably be MoS & the first Thor since they're both origin stories.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #121
bluearth
Side-Kick

To put it simply, for me Thor II was a good popcorn flick. Everybody has thier definition of what a popcorn flick is. For some its any film that comes out in the summer that features explosions and heroes and aliens.

For me a popcorn flick is a movie that doesnt take itself seriously at all, is built from the ground up to be pure entertainment with minimal or no touching moments, is full of cliches and is formulaic, while failing to build a deep, interesting world.

Thor II is most of those things. The first hour was so terrible I hardly remember it. Things pick up in the second hour, but the movie cant overcome the awful looking Dark Elve minions which look and move like amateur cosplayers. The Dark Elf King himself is not scary, I believe Thor's mother whooped his butt? I mean the main bad guy got his but whooped but the hero's mother. C'mon.

And the whole thing about the Dark Elves wanting to return the Universe to 'darkness' was so cheesy. Thor II's second half was fun, but thats about it.

How people prefer this over Man of Steel, Im not sure. Man of Steel beats it in everyway - acting, action, villain, hero, story, world building, and more. Most solo Marvel films have been pretty stale. Not bad, but definitely stale.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #122
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

After watching theme again, I take back my words: MOS is the better movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #123
Lord
All Mighty

Only thing Thor has going for him is a sence of fun, that is mostly absent from Snyder's Nolanification of Superman

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #124
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Shock Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
After watching theme again, I take back my words: MOS is the better movie.
Wow ! What made the difference ?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #125
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Wow ! What made the difference ?
Originally I had rated both the same for different reasons. But MOS has 2 things Thor 2 completely lacks of: real characters that truly interact and a worthy story.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote