The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #976
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 1

Why does she have to be dumb? Why can't the disguise just be...I don't know...effective?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #977
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I've always thought she was blinded by love...not really stupid. And aside from the skeevy party, I also liked the wink-wink joke. I agree it doesn't play well on film, but it's not so bad in the comics.

MOS did do something different though. That was certainly refreshing.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #978
Xandrea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Why does she have to be dumb? Why can't the disguise just be...I don't know...effective?
Yeah. It seems to work on everyone. Even Lex and Bruce. Aren't they supposed to be geniuses?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #979
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I didn't say she had to be dumb. It seems dumb when a woman is in love (or even infatuated) with a man and yet can't see him in different clothes. The disguise can and does fool others, because they don't take notice, but I don't think it should fool Lois.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #980
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I don't know if it ever actually worked on Bruce. He always seemed to discover Superman's secret identity pretty early on. Lex has no reason to suspect that Superman has a secret identity and shouldn't waste time trying to figure it out. He's also typically blinded by his own arrogance.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #981
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I didn't say she had to be dumb.
The implication was that she comes across as dumb because she can't see through the disguise.

Quote:
It seems dumb when a woman is in love (or even infatuated) with a man and yet can't see him in different clothes.
What use is a disguise if you can't fool the people you're trying to fool?

Quote:
The disguise can and does fool others, because they don't take notice, but I don't think it should fool Lois.
I think it should, actually. Again: it speaks to how strong the disguise is.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #982
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
The implication was that she comes across as dumb because she can't see through the disguise.

What use is a disguise if you can't fool the people you're trying to fool?

I think it should, actually. Again: it speaks to how strong the disguise is.
Well, it does seem that way, but I don't actually think she is dumb. And I'd be ok with it if they weren't close at all. But when they have her in a semi-relationship with Clark or Supes, it's weird. Others are fooled because they aren't that close and never will be. It props up the disguise, but at Lois's expense. That' why I like her knowing. She doesn't look dumb, but the disguise is still present. Even if she knows, he's still fooling everyone else and the disguise still works.

Last edited by MrsKent26; 12-01-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #983
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Well, it does seem that way, but I don't actually think she is dumb. And I'd be ok with it if they weren't close at all. But when they have her in a semi-relationship with Clark or Supes, it's weird.
I think how much she figures out, is told, or suspects depends on the status of their relationship.

Quote:
Others are fooled because they aren't that close and never will be.
I think that's kind of a cop out. You don't have to be romantically intimate with someone to be super close to them. Jimmy, for example, is supposed to be his best friend.

Quote:
It props up the disguise, but at Lois's expense.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
That' why I like her knowing. She doesn't look dumb, but the disguise is still present.
I don't mind her knowing, but I would hate to see the triangle-for-two done away with forever.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #984
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

More -

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by kvz5; 12-01-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #985
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Nice. Thanks for posting that. She is definitely on fire. I hope that means a large presence for her in the sequel.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #986
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Damn, they really went all out in that kiss, just look at the movements of their faces and lips in the gif in the middle (at the bottom).

Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #987
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Snyder must have really felt like a grown man being asked to play with action figures. For some reason that's what comes to mind seeing Henry and Amy kiss like that. I just imagine Snyder using actual action figures to block that scene out.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #988
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

Damn, they really went all out in that kiss, just look at the movements of their faces and lips in the gif in the middle (at the bottom).
Two things. I thought that fly down scene was all CGI, but it's not and it's damn impressive because Cavill has to keep his body in a plank position while holding Adams. That is damn impressive. The other thing is they did go all out.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #989
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post

More -

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I love you Kvz5.

But not as much as Amy Adams.

Last edited by Fallen Angel; 12-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #990
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

~SHH SIX~
Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #991
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I've always thought she was blinded by love...not really stupid. And aside from the skeevy party, I also liked the wink-wink joke. I agree it doesn't play well on film, but it's not so bad in the comics.

MOS did do something different though. That was certainly refreshing.
It's not actually that different, as MoS did what every other comic book movie is doing. Rachel Dawes, Carol Ferris, etc all knew their superhero's secret identity immediately. In contrast, a love triangle for two would be unique relative to its peers.

The other purpose is that it adds tension to the plot, and gives Clark a humanizing obstacle.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 12-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #992
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

It's different for the Superman story, though.

There is not gonna be any Superman-Lois-Clark love triangle in these new movies, obviously.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #993
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, but really the love triangle element had been absent for 20 years before the New 52 relaunch. Not to mention that in shows like Smallville and Lois & Clark, Lois found out the secret. It's just another aspect of the mythology that's been in the comics and movies, and now it's on film.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #994
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
This.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #995
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I think the issue is that the show Lois and Clark was way too popular. It's the most popular version of Superman ever, it reached 20 million viewers a week. A common "criticism" of that show at the time was that Lois had to be too dumb to not see the disguise.

But you know... the romantic comedy must have actually been done very well, because a lot of people watched it and a lot of people commented on it. That's what people should remember, not that people made fun of Lois and Clark.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #996
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think the issue is that the show Lois and Clark was way too popular. It's the most popular version of Superman ever, it reached 20 million viewers a week. A common "criticism" of that show at the time was that Lois had to be too dumb to not see the disguise.

But you know... the romantic comedy must have actually been done very well, because a lot of people watched it and a lot of people commented on it. That's what people should remember, not that people made fun of Lois and Clark.

Lois & Clark is the most popular version of Superman ever?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #997
The Guard
Side-Kick

See, I think LOIS AND CLARK nailed it, in a "wink wink" sense.

We all know that Dean Cain pretty much played Superman and Clark the same. The only real difference was in their dialogue and actions.

But no one looks twice at Clark in that show (that's not really true, plenty of people did) because one ultimately believed that someone who acts like he does could be the confident, heroic Superman.

And more to the point, because no one usually looks twice at those who don't draw attention to themselves. This is a social truth, not just something found in Superman's mythology.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #998
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

The triangle for two doesn't end with Lois finally learning the secret.She and Clark have to keep the pretense that Superman and Clark are two different people.

It makes Clark look like a douche if he's getting close to her and NEVER letting her in on the secret. Imagine you guys getting close to some and spending majority of your time together and developing feelings for each other and falling in love would you not want them to know something personal about you? Thankfully not many agree that Lois should NEVER not know the secret.

Last edited by Fallen Angel; 12-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #999
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Yeah, but really the love triangle element had been absent for 20 years before the New 52 relaunch. Not to mention that in shows like Smallville and Lois & Clark, Lois found out the secret. It's just another aspect of the mythology that's been in the comics and movies, and now it's on film.

Exactly people seem to be stuck with this silver age crap. Comics have moved on and TV did also and now the movies.

Even in the reboot in the first six issues of Superman's self titled book it's hinted that Lois knows Clark's secret but that arc got dropped. Superman#24 she says it again when saying Supes and Clarks' voices are the same.

Last edited by Fallen Angel; 12-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #1000
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
It's not actually that different, as MoS did what every other comic book movie is doing. Rachel Dawes, Carol Ferris, etc all knew their superhero's secret identity immediately. In contrast, a love triangle for two would be unique relative to its peers.

The other purpose is that it adds tension to the plot, and gives Clark a humanizing obstacle.
It is different for the movies. As other has mentioned Lois knowing is not that unique. They were married in the comics for a while, but I really didn't think they would go in this direction in the movies since most of the GA is more 'familiar' with her not being in the know. I was quite surprised they did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
It's different for the Superman story, though.

There is not gonna be any Superman-Lois-Clark love triangle in these new movies, obviously.
Yes, there will be none of that unless they eventually employ some way to rob her of the memory. I have a bad taste in my mouth from SII. I hope that doesn't happen. I'd like to see them take this out for a spin.

Closed Thread