The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #626
Spamtron
THE MAN

Default Re: Batman Physique Thread

Bale got up to about 230 getting prepped for the role, eating everything in site and working out... He gained about 100 #s from his Machinist weight to get the Begins role. Nolan actually had him lean back down to 190#s for the final Batman body weight.

And I agree, he was in excellent shape for Batman... first time I saw a believable Batman ass-kicking body type on screen, making the previous Batman bodies on film an embarrassment frankly.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #627
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Found some interesting quotes on CBM:

David Fincher (director of Gone Girl) on Affleck's physique:

"I'm trying to keep him at the size he's at right now until he's done with us (GONE GIRL where he plays a suburban dad). I'm sure he's working out but I think for him, he's probably a guy that builds up really quickly so I just kind of asked him if he can stay where he's at right now. He's a really big guy, like he's quite tall. You don't realize how big he is. He kind of reads smaller on film than he does in real life."

Recent tweet from Rejan Jalali (Affleck's professional trainer):

"Ben Affleck's Batman body: getting too pumped up for current role! Good prob to have-We'll cut back a lil! Lol"

Eonline article:

Dear Ben Affleck—please don't bulk up for Batman too much.

At least not while you're still filming Gone Girl.

The upcoming caped crusader has been asked to refrain from working out too much while making the much-anticipated thriller.

"I'm trying to keep him at the size he's at right now until he's done with us," Gone Girl costume designer Trish Summerville told me at the Catching Fire premiere in L.A. "I'm sure he's working out but I think for him, he's probably a guy that builds up really quickly so I just kind of asked him if he can stay where he's at right now."

Rumors that he could have been hitting the gym pretty hard took off late last month after photographers snapped a seemingly muscled up Affleck while out for chores with his daughter Violet.

"He's a really big guy, like he's quite tall," Summerville said. "You don't realize how big he is. He kind of reads smaller on film than he does in real life."

John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #628
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I don't think Affleck has anywhere near the pressure that cavill had when working out for superman. Aside from his status in hollywood, his height and the Batman costume are probably going to be more forgiving to him than Cavill and his superman suit.

He's already the tallest Batman actor ever and despite the changes to the suit it will still probably have some armor-ish elements and not try to be skin tight like the MoS suit.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #629
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Again just because he didn't go through a hard-core cut process didn't negate how he actually appeared on film. Also the "fatman" jest was more to do about his overall mass including muscle not necessarily actual fat or water-weight. They didn't expect him to put on so much weight from his casting and the suit wasn't designed big enough.

You have to think of things relative to the character. I think Bale had the perfect look for someone who spent years just working on their core strength and wasn't particularly concerned about pure aesthetics or highlighting muscle definition.

Batman isn't an alien, a mutant, a super-soldier or a god, so you shouldn't necessarily compare his physique exactly to the other actors in those roles and what they achieved for their characters. I rather have Batman look like an MMA fighter rather than an underwear model ala bale in american psycho.

Bale was by far the best Batman physique out of all the prior actors and yes affleck does have big shoes to fill in that regards.
That's the functional muscle look. It doesn't always have the pleasant muscle shape of Cavill or the ripped 6-pack abs, but it tells a story of ability. That's what Bale had in BB, and should have kept for TDK. I didn't mind him being skinnier for TDKR because it fit the story.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #630
hafizbat
Side-Kick

I agree. However, I think its worth noting that functional muscle is still muscle and it sill looks damn good.

Look at these athletes

Gymnast

Powerlifter

Rugby player

Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #631
elgaz
Side-Kick

I've no doubt Affleck will fill the suit out very well. He's a very broad shouldered guy, and broad shoulders + height makes a person look quite strong and intimidating. As impressive as Bale's muscle gain for BB was, he never really looked 'big' overall or intimidating - in fact, I can't really think of any previous Batman actors who looked that way.

The Batman films have tended to rely more on his presence/voice/fighting skills/etc to have him intimidate the bad guys. Not many have approached the issue of his sheer physical size. Many of the comics have Batman written as a very large and strong male; I think it was The Dark Knight Returns which made a specific reference to his size.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #632
the last son
Side-Kick

I don't think Affleck will put much time in the gym.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #633
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I've no doubt Affleck will fill the suit out very well. He's a very broad shouldered guy, and broad shoulders + height makes a person look quite strong and intimidating. As impressive as Bale's muscle gain for BB was, he never really looked 'big' overall or intimidating - in fact, I can't really think of any previous Batman actors who looked that way.

The Batman films have tended to rely more on his presence/voice/fighting skills/etc to have him intimidate the bad guys. Not many have approached the issue of his sheer physical size. Many of the comics have Batman written as a very large and strong male; I think it was The Dark Knight Returns which made a specific reference to his size.

Affleck has a naturally built athletic body so that does give him an edge.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #634
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I don't think Affleck will put much time in the gym.
He won't have a choice. That's part of the gig in all Snyder's films. If you've seen Affleck lately, you can DEFINITELY tell he's putting time in.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #635
GreySpider
Bane Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I don't think Affleck has anywhere near the pressure that cavill had when working out for superman. Aside from his status in hollywood, his height and the Batman costume are probably going to be more forgiving to him than Cavill and his superman suit.

He's already the tallest Batman actor ever and despite the changes to the suit it will still probably have some armor-ish elements and not try to be skin tight like the MoS suit.
dude your avvy is so sick

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #636
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post

Hopefully he put a lot more muscle on than this. Really tired of actors sporting fake rubber/muscle suits.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #637
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Affleck has a naturally built athletic body so that does give him an edge.
Yes he has a great natural athletic build, but athletic doesn't necessarily mean muscular he has a great base to start from. I hope he at least gains a good 10-15 pounds of solid muscle on, with the likes of other actors going all out for their superhero roles (Cavill, Evans, Hemsworth) I expect the same from old Benny boy.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #638
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

New pic released of Cavill training for MOS.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #639
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
New pic released of Cavill training for MOS.

I recently watched some of the special features on my MOS blu ray. Their working out was interesting and awesome to see.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: Thatís the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, weíll always be friends.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #640
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
I recently watched some of the special features on my MOS blu ray. Their working out was interesting and awesome to see.
It was certainly interesting to see. Though I wonder if they showed the various exercises in the correct proportion.

The most number of exercises they show is definitely for the shoulders, really hitting all the heads there through a variety of exercises. They also show him doing legs a lot and even back. They showed just one exercise for cardio, a couple for abs and none for chest if I remember correctly.

His chest and abs and extremely well developed, so he must have done a lot more for those than they showed in the special feature.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #641
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Bats will be envious of supes chest hair.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #642
The Guard
Side-Kick

Apparently the costume designer for this movie has asked Affleck to stop getting big so fast.

Heh.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #643
roach
I am the night

it's funny that people keep mentioning how tall he is…when I was in the Navy parts of Pearl Harbor were filmed on my ship and i remember walking past him and being amazed at how tall he was.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #644
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

6'4" is nothing to sneeze at. That's a tall man. I never knew he was that tall. He doesn't look very tall in movies.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #645
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
6'4" is nothing to sneeze at. That's a tall man. I never knew he was that tall. He doesn't look very tall in movies.
He is probably the tallest person I have ever met. We walked past each other in the passageway and all i kept thinking about was how tall this dude was.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #646
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
He is probably the tallest person I have ever met. We walked past each other in the passageway and all i kept thinking about was how tall this dude was.
lol...you were in the p-way with him. Nice! The closest I ever got to celebrity while I was in the Navy was Oprah waving at me from her yacht.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #647
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
lol...you were in the p-way with him. Nice! The closest I ever got to celebrity while I was in the Navy was Oprah waving at me from her yacht.
My ship was designated the 'Hollywood carrier'. We had scenes from Pearl Harbor, The Core, Tiger Cruise and an episode of the Crocodile Hunter filmed onboard.

What was your rate?
I was a QM.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #648
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
My ship was designated the 'Hollywood carrier'. We had scenes from Pearl Harbor, The Core, Tiger Cruise and an episode of the Crocodile Hunter filmed onboard.

What was your rate?
I was a QM.
I was an AK.

lol...man I never got lucky. For some reason I was never around whenever film crews came to base. I don't know why. I just always missed them. I've been on the news plenty of times, but I never got the chance to be an extra... or even see any filming...

Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #649
Astro13Zombie
PrimeDirectiveEXTERMINATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquespy View Post
Bats will be envious of supes chest hair.
Who wouldn't be envious of fire resistant chest hair?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #650
HUMANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Apparently the costume designer for this movie has asked Affleck to stop getting big so fast.

Heh.
they better change the costume around him and not the other way around....

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Closed Thread