The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Default The Jimmy Olsen Casting Thread

The happy go-lucky friend of Superman. And Jenny is not an Olsen as confirmed by Deborah Snyder.

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
batman44
Go Speed GO

Default Re: The Jimmy Olsen Casting Thread

Joseph Mazzello

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Bump

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Bored, so a quick thought. Just playing with ideas:

What if Jimmy is a struggling photographer for the DP's rival, the Daily Star but is canned for not coming up with the big one and is considered a laughing stock of his field, living from pay to pay and struggling to make money to eat. He walks around everywhere snapping pictures, being a pest and even was once kicked out of the Daily Planet for trespassing around the building at late hours.

Jimmy would be the one that courageously and accidentally snaps the first picture of "The Bat" in Metropolis and sends an anonymous letter to Lois, where they eventually meet in secret for the rights to own the photo, where he then shockingly shows Lois pictures he took of her flirting and getting close with "the guy that looks an awful lot like Superman" . This forces Lois to talk hard for Jimmy into getting hired as a free-lance photographer at the Planet where the audience assumes he would know Clark is Superman, where it's never said or acknowledged. He would be more of a secondary character from that point forward (like Lombard) who would just be present in the DP scenes in the background or hovering around Clark's desk.

Last edited by Tra-El; 12-01-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Tra-El is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Bored, so a quick thought. Just playing with ideas:

What if Jimmy is a struggling photographer for the DP's rival, the Daily Star but is canned for not coming up with the big one and is considered a laughing stock of his field, living from pay to pay and struggling to make money to eat. He walks around everywhere snapping pictures, being a pest and even was once kicked out of the Daily Planet for trespassing around the building at late hours.

Jimmy would be the one that courageously and accidentally snaps the first picture of "The Bat" in Metropolis and sends an anonymous letter to Lois, where they eventually meet in secret for the rights to own the photo, where he then shockingly shows Lois pictures he took of her flirting and getting close with "the guy that looks an awful lot like Superman" . This forces Lois to talk hard for Jimmy into getting hired as a free-lance photographer at the Planet where the audience assumes he would know Clark is Superman, where it's never said or acknowledged. He would be more of a secondary character from that point forward (like Lombard) who would just be present in the DP scenes in the background or hovering around Clark's desk.
That's pretty interesting. I'm not sure what I want for Jimmy. I don't know if I want him to be younger and green, or more experienced and older. Jimmy has always been kind of the comic relief for most incarnations, so I'm not sure what I want from this "modern" version. I'm not sure what he should be tbh.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
That's pretty interesting. I'm not sure what I want for Jimmy. I don't know if I want him to be younger and green, or more experienced and older. Jimmy has always been kind of the comic relief for most incarnations, so I'm not sure what I want from this "modern" version. I'm not sure what he should be tbh.
Yeah, it's tough. I think he should have his big moment, though. Whatever it would be and then be a side character, if that, the rest of the franchise.

Maybe the scene where he gets the shot of the Bat, who hasn't been seen before, after being ruffed up and bullied in a dark alley (having something in common with Clark at his age) and gets thrown to the ground. When he gets thrown to the ground, his camera goes off and the bullies run away. When Jimmy checks his camera to see if it's alright, right in the corner is a figure dressed up as a bat, blurry since the flash caught something else, but it's there.

I think that would be a cool introduction and a good Jimmy moment and then move on.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
WinterAssassinR
Side-Kick

Topher Grace could be a good Jimmy Olsen.

WinterAssassinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Tra-El
Side-Kick

^DAMN! That's about as good of a casting as you could get. WELL DONE WinterAssassinR! Well done.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Topher Grace is too old now for Olsen.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Logan Lerhman could make a good Jimmy but i don't know if we need him in the films.

The more i look at Grace and the more i see him act i am convinced he should have been Spiderman in the Raimi films.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Okay I have a question for you guys. How would you feel about a non-white Jimmy. I'm thinking not someone black, but maybe Hispanic or even Asian. Does Jimmy have to be white? Would people lose their **** if they made this change?

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
WinterAssassinR
Side-Kick

You know what, you're right, Bathead. Just looked up photos of him from this year and he does look too old. The only reason I thought about him as Jimmy because I watched Spider-Man 3 last week.

WinterAssassinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Aren't Clark and Jimmy about the same age now in the comics? They might go that route.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
Joseph Mazzello
This actually makes sense. Someone suggested Mazzello for Aquaman and I thought it was a ridiculous idea. He's much more suited to Jimmy Olsen

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Okay I have a question for you guys. How would you feel about a non-white Jimmy. I'm thinking not someone black, but maybe Hispanic or even Asian. Does Jimmy have to be white? Would people lose their **** if they made this change?
Chris Rock was cast as Jimmy for Tim Burton's Superman movie.

And no one would care if he were black, but it'd be weird since they already made Perry black.

Comic fans are cool with changing the races of minor characters, but when you change the race of a major character for no reason (Human Torch), then they get pissed.

But in the case where the actor is perfect for the role (Kingpin), comic fans are cool with it.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #16
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

But what would be the reason for keeping Jimmy white?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

To actually have a red headed Jimmy. But, since they made Lois a redhead...

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
The Valeyard
Banned User

Jimmy and Robin... in a Superman and Batman film.

They might as well use this comic for inspiration.

The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
This actually makes sense. Someone suggested Mazzello for Aquaman and I thought it was a ridiculous idea. He's much more suited to Jimmy Olsen
He would be good in the role. But isn't it such an obvious choice? It's like casting De Niro as a mafia boss.

Mazzello as Aquaman is on the other hand a more interesting way to go. And I wouldn't be so sure that he hasn't any hidden "water superhero" qualities deep down.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterAssassinR View Post
Topher Grace could be a good Jimmy Olsen.

Well we already have Daredevil as Batman, why not Venom as Jimmy Olsen?

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Meh...not really feeling Topher.

In my mind Jimmy should look something like this.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
The Valeyard
Banned User

An Asian nerd?

Even though that's kind of stereotypical, "Olsen" isn't an Asian surname.

I'd rather they just keep Jimmy's race from the comics. They already changed Perry. No need for overkill.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

He could be adopted.

Meh...I think Jimmy shouldn't be white. The red hair and all that is just silly. I don't think I've seen a red head Jimmy outside of the comics in a while.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
The Valeyard
Banned User

White doesn't mean redhead.

In fact, I'm all for them casting a dark-haired Caucasian Jimmy. Mainly because Adam's Lois is already a red-head.

Guys like Logan Lerman should be considered. Though he'd be great as Robin/Nightwing too.

IMO, the fact that we have Jenny AND Grayson/Nightwing in this film, makes the inclusion of Jimmy superfluous and unnecessary.

I don't believe he'll be introduced in this film.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #25
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Jenny? Who is this person?

I think you need Jimmy in this film because he's a core Superman character and Supes is at the DP. He's not superfluous. He could serve a purpose or just be for comic relief. Whatever reason he is used I think he should be non-white. The fact they did it with Perry is irrelevant. I just think as a character for this universe he shouldn't be white.