The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #751
Hypestyle
Side-Kick
 
Hypestyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 6,032
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I notice that Cap is not a pencil artist in this continuity. too bad.

Hypestyle is offline  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #752
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,478
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Hammer is just a cheap imitation of Stark to me. His tech isn't nearly as advanced. I think having a tech guy on the team would be redundant, since I imagine Ultron will be the one who knows tech. But hey, if they did bring Hammer back and made him into a badass, I guess I wouldn't mind. He did vow revenge at the end of IM2, after all.
I wish they had made Rockwell's Justin Hammer to be Stark's equal in terms of intelligence, instead of a punchline. That was one of the things I dislike about IM2, and one that did a disservice to the film as a whole.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #753
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,262
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I notice that Cap is not a pencil artist in this continuity. too bad.
Au contraire.


__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #754
Six
Six Six Six
 
Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,774
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I'm really looking forward to this one! I thought the first one was pretty good, I really liked the WW2 setting. I'm hoping they can do it justice in modern day.

Six is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #755
gildedmuse
Snark Is A Superpower
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 165
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Really? I dunno, Hammer and Killian are two entirely different personalities. Killian was very insistent, serious, quietly menacing. Hammer is a laid-back fun-loving guy who was played for laughs as a loser who could never get anything right. Even if he had any interest in taking over AIM after Killian's death (and why would he, if it looks like AIM as a company/enterprise is dead in the water at the end of IM3?), I strongly doubt any of the Extremis soldiers would ever give him their trust, loyalty or respect.
I got a totally different impression. That was not Hammer's personality at all (well, except the loser unable to get anything right aspect). He ACTED laid back in an attempt to impersonate Stark's play boy personality. I think we see a much more real Hammer in those moments: someone who thinks he's owed something and who sees Stark as in his way. Kinda like a kid who is part of the in crowd but desperate to be top dog. They play the part to fit in, but just underneath the surface sits a lot of resentment and they would back stab and claw their way back to the top.

I would describe quite a few of my friends as being laid-back and fun loving. It's hard to imagine any of them willing to break an attempted murderer out of jail so that they could embarrass a peer on the national stage. If anything, that comes off as more obsessive and competitive. Mimicking Stark is an extension of that. For me, personally, that is what made Rockwell so fun to watch in the role. It's like an extended and purposefully terrible RDJ impersonation that Hammer is trying so hard to get to work for him when that is just not who he is at all.

gildedmuse is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #756
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain
 
DaddlerTheDalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany, NRW
Posts: 894
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
And he has to dance!

I would be fun to see Hammer in the Titanium Man Armor & Dance like that!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
You're watching a Poster!
DaddlerTheDalek is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #757
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedmuse View Post
I got a totally different impression. That was not Hammer's personality at all (well, except the loser unable to get anything right aspect). He ACTED laid back in an attempt to impersonate Stark's play boy personality. I think we see a much more real Hammer in those moments: someone who thinks he's owed something and who sees Stark as in his way. Kinda like a kid who is part of the in crowd but desperate to be top dog. They play the part to fit in, but just underneath the surface sits a lot of resentment and they would back stab and claw their way back to the top.

I would describe quite a few of my friends as being laid-back and fun loving. It's hard to imagine any of them willing to break an attempted murderer out of jail so that they could embarrass a peer on the national stage. If anything, that comes off as more obsessive and competitive. Mimicking Stark is an extension of that. For me, personally, that is what made Rockwell so fun to watch in the role. It's like an extended and purposefully terrible RDJ impersonation that Hammer is trying so hard to get to work for him when that is just not who he is at all.
I agree with all that, and I loved Rockwell and his performance in IM2. I'm just saying that the public perception of Hammer is that he's like a very rich Michael Scott or David Brent from The Office. I just don't see AIM or the Extremis soldiers welcoming someone like that into their ranks, let alone embracing him as a boss.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #758
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,864
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I notice that Cap is not a pencil artist in this continuity. too bad.
In TFA he made a very nice sketch while he was doing his USO tour that peggy noticed.

ctsketch is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #759
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,624
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Steve was also sketching in the Avengers deleted scene, wasnt he? Stark Tower?

Always thought one of the biggest masterstrokes made in the comics was to make Steve a freelance commercial artist; Byrne even had him able to carry his shield around in his A2 art portfolio.

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #760
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,624
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I agree with all that, and I loved Rockwell and his performance in IM2. I'm just saying that the public perception of Hammer is that he's like a very rich Michael Scott or David Brent from The Office. I just don't see AIM or the Extremis soldiers welcoming someone like that into their ranks, let alone embracing him as a boss.
I'd imagine that they'd take him seriously after a brutal show of power/statement of intent that establishes that he isnt the Hammer of before. That his experiences in prison have made him into a man not to be trifled with. A man hellbent on seeking revenge. Rockwell would hit something like that out of the park.

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #761
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,850
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I don't think the movie version of Hammer would work as a grand, world conquering supervillain. . . but I think he *could* work as a more mid tier villain. Basically have him shift into something like his comic book version, as a patron and supplier for various lower level villains. Having learned his lesson, he avoids genius hardcases like Vanko in the future, and sticks to dealing with either vulnerable scientists he can coopt or rob, and criminals he can control because they are dependent on him for their edge.

He still comes off as a bit of a joke, but the trick is that he comes off that way even when he's ordering someone murdered or such.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #762
Ant-manic
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Terrence Stamp as Justin Hammer senior

Ant-manic is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #763
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

You could also say that Hammer has been hardened in prison and is now a lot more ruthless and brutal. Rockwell's a good enough actor to pull that off.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #764
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hype, Superhero
Posts: 18,037
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't think the movie version of Hammer would work as a grand, world conquering supervillain. . . but I think he *could* work as a more mid tier villain. Basically have him shift into something like his comic book version, as a patron and supplier for various lower level villains. Having learned his lesson, he avoids genius hardcases like Vanko in the future, and sticks to dealing with either vulnerable scientists he can coopt or rob, and criminals he can control because they are dependent on him for their edge.

He still comes off as a bit of a joke, but the trick is that he comes off that way even when he's ordering someone murdered or such.
Fantastic idea.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, AKA Jessica Jones
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #765
fixxxer
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
Terrence Stamp as Justin Hammer senior
Haha nice. To Tony: "My name is Justin Hammer Sr. You sent my dumb-ass son to prison. Prepare to die."

fixxxer is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #766
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain
 
DaddlerTheDalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany, NRW
Posts: 894
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
Terrence Stamp as Justin Hammer senior
I could see that!


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
You're watching a Poster!
DaddlerTheDalek is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #767
Ant-manic
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You could also say that Hammer has been hardened in prison and is now a lot more ruthless and brutal. Rockwell's a good enough actor to pull that off.
yeah, but the character he played seemed more like the type to soften in prison; like permanently loose down there.

Ant-manic is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #768
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,850
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Given the kind of friends he had, I could maybe see him finagling his way out of prison entirely, if he can push enough blame off onto Vanko, throw enough chaff into the air, and call in enough favors. His reputation would still be mud, though, and I doubt he'd be getting many juicy contracts. Of course, that would be a good enough reason for him to go into blackmarket technology supply.

To me, at least, Justin Hammer came off as competent, but not as competent as he thought he was, or thought he deserved to be. His casual, joking demeanor when dealing with Vanko was how he *thought* the All Powerful Business Titan should behave when trying to intimidate the peasants. . . Hammer just doesn't have the charisma to pull it off.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #769
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Clearly Hammer's not a complete idiot since he was a successful businessman in his own right. However, he wanted to be Tony Stark, but he doesn't have the genius (or at least not nearly as much), charisma, or charm of Tony Stark.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #770
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,285
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Justin Hammer is the mirror-reverse Tony Stark. Both of them were born wealthy and inherited companies from their fathers, but where Tony also inherited Howard Stark's genius, charm and business acumen, Hammer possesses none of those skills. Tony has more in common with Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, tech titans who built their companies up by designing innovative products and, in Tony's case, vastly improving upon what he inherited. From what we've seen of Hammer's products, he is far from the genius that Stark is, and he knows it.

Hammer, lacking Tony's intellect, is forced to hire others to do what he cannot. That isn't a failing in and of itself, but from the low quality of the products Hammer Industries puts out it's clear that he hasn't chosen his scientists and designers well. He is also unscrupulous and not above trying to steal Stark's designs to get ahead, though even that ended in disaster for him due to his lack of skilled technicians. Recruiting Vanko was just another in a series of shady deals and missteps for Hammer. This is a man destined to forever exist in Tony Stark's shadow, desperately trying to fake the brilliance and charm that his rival so effortlessly exudes. He doesn't have it in him to become a major villain, though he can inadvertently assist smarter and more dangerous criminals as he did with Vanko.


Last edited by xeno000; 12-04-2013 at 05:54 AM.
xeno000 is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #771
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,696
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Au contraire.

I .. understood that reference

Just_Human is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #772
Bren
Forevernoob
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,797
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Hammer's character in IM2 irritated me no end, and not in a good way. I suppose with enough effort, good writing and some screen time they could turn it around and justify his newfound badassedness... But I think and would prefer they just get a new decent top level villian and be done with it.

__________________
Batman didn't make Bren hate Batman.
Batgod fans make Bren hate Batman.
Bren is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #773
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I loved him just because Sam Rockwell is a really entertaining actor and he was clearly having fun.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #774
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,696
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I like what Rockwell did with Hammer tbh

Just_Human is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #775
warhorse78
Side-Kick
 
warhorse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 1,902
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
I'd imagine that they'd take him seriously after a brutal show of power/statement of intent that establishes that he isnt the Hammer of before. That his experiences in prison have made him into a man not to be trifled with. A man hellbent on seeking revenge. Rockwell would hit something like that out of the park.
You know, I know I am getting way off topic, but isn't it a weird 6 degrees of separation that Sam Rockwell played a character in the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where he had several scenes with Casey Jones, and later on, Chris Evans would be talking for the CGI version in the TMNT movie, and now both are in the MCU.

warhorse78 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.