The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Wow, so Fox is now doing two a year

I'd personally like to thank Bryan Singer returning, Mark Millar being hired as a producer and Lauren Shuler Donner firing Tim Rothman for making this possible.

2016: Apocalypse and X-Force
2017: Wolverine 3 and Deadpool

At this point, why doesn't Warner just give up? Between Disney, Fox and Sony using the Marvel license, there isn't really enough room for them to start new DC properties that audiences aren't familiar with. Marvel won. Period.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
eddy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wow, so Fox is now doing two a year

lol. Laruen Donner firing Tim Rothman...what are you talking about? Donner is a producer on the X-Men films. Tim Rothman was the head of the studio.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
lol. Laruen Donner firing Tim Rothman...what are you talking about? Donner is a producer on the X-Men films. Tim Rothman was the head of the studio.

Derp. Regardless, I'm happy that Tim Rothman is gone. He ruined a lot of movies and helped make the 2000s a dark age for film.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I'm very happy about this 2 year gap for X-Men films!

Ughh all I wanted after DOFP is a straight-up sequel to it and it looks we might get it!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Angamb
Banned User

Im really surprised with this 2016 date, I always thought Fox would keep the three years formula for the team movies.... but they have really surprised me with this.

Two Xmen movies in a matter of three years (2014-2016) how AWESOME is this?

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
At this point, why doesn't Warner just give up? Between Disney, Fox and Sony using the Marvel license, there isn't really enough room for them to start new DC properties that audiences aren't familiar with. Marvel won. Period.
Yeah, cause none of this is about money or putting out good stories for DC Fans. Last I checked Batman and Superman made about 1.7 billion together on their last flicks. Clearly they should give up and just trash their next film which features both of them and DC's leading female which is no doubt leading to a much larger Universe. Arrow seems to be doing pretty bad with fans as well. Should just canel that

We only have one X-Men film greenlit. And its an extremely safe one for Fox. They are not out of their comfort zone. Everything thus far has been around Wolverine, Prof X and that core team. Until we have films revolving around other characters greenlit, X-Men are in the same position as DC with their lesser knowns. We dont have that Deadpool and X-Force film just yet. Just like DC dont have their Wonder Woman, Justice League Dark and Flash films. They will happen sooner or later, but for now nothing has a date and given the go ahead on production except their safe bets ( Batman, Superman, Wolverine), films they could lose the right to (FF) and Avenger sized epics (Bats VS Supes, DOFP, XM:A).

Last edited by def28; 12-06-2013 at 06:35 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Im really surprised with this 2016 date, I always thought Fox would keep the three years formula for the team movies.... but they have really surprised me with this.

Two Xmen movies in a matter of three years (2014-2016) how AWESOME is this?
After that 1 year gap between The Wolverine and DOFP... its not so surprising.

The thing that surprised me, is they revealed the title so early! which isn't bad at all.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
Mr. Dent

We don't know when X-Froce or Wolverine 2 is coming out and we don't even know if they're going forward with a standalone Deadpool movie at all.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

That Deadpool movie is probably not gonna happen, or at least in 5 years from now.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
That Deadpool movie is probably not gonna happen, or at least in 5 years from now.
Jeff Wadlow disagrees. He said it would happen six months before X-Force and was commissioned to pen X-Force six months ago. Script is done.

X-Force and Deadpool are coming.

I'm expecting release date announcements soon.

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Mr. Dent

When did he say that?

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Sullstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
When did he say that?
I think he means Robert Liefeld, Don't remember seeing Wadlow saying much about the Deadpool movie, but have seen Liefeld say they may be between 6 months of each other

Sullstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
Jeff Wadlow disagrees. He said it would happen six months before X-Force and was commissioned to pen X-Force six months ago. Script is done.

X-Force and Deadpool are coming.

I'm expecting release date announcements soon.
I doubt it.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah, cause none of this is about money or putting out good stories for DC Fans. Last I checked Batman and Superman made about 1.7 billion together on their last flicks. Clearly they should give up and just trash their next film which features both of them and DC's leading female which is no doubt leading to a much larger Universe. Arrow seems to be doing pretty bad with fans as well. Should just canel that

We only have one X-Men film greenlit. And its an extremely safe one for Fox. They are not out of their comfort zone. Everything thus far has been around Wolverine, Prof X and that core team. Until we have films revolving around other characters greenlit, X-Men are in the same position as DC with their lesser knowns. We dont have that Deadpool and X-Force film just yet. Just like DC dont have their Wonder Woman, Justice League Dark and Flash films. They will happen sooner or later, but for now nothing has a date and given the go ahead on production except their safe bets ( Batman, Superman, Wolverine), films they could lose the right to (FF) and Avenger sized epics (Bats VS Supes, DOFP, XM:A).
I agree with most of what you're saying, except for DOFP/Apocalypse being "a safe bet." Do I think it will pay off handsomely? Absolutely. But they are risking A LOT of mullah on this endeavor. I would say something like a sequel to The Wolverine is more of a safe bet.

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Do I think it will pay off handsomely? Absolutely. But they are risking A LOT of mullah on this endeavor. I would say something like a sequel to The Wolverine is more of a safe bet.
Thats very true, but they are using arguably their most hyped villain which is why I think they dropped the title so early and ahead of DOFP. Thats gonna create even more anticipation. And the cast will be more then likely be the same, at least as far as leads. If a small Wolverine film can make over 400m ww that pretty much puts at least 500m-600m ww as lock. If they are to use the most money on any X-Men film it would be this one. Its no more a risk as X3 was imo. They are throwing every marketable thing they have had so far into these next two films so if this doesn't work for Singer and crew then nothing will. Nothing but the big guns here.

Now if DOFP flops, then I would agree 100% that XM:A is a risk. But I don't think thats gonna happen.

Last edited by def28; 12-08-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #16
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Im glad Fox is uping their game at last now, really had to after the likes of X3, Origins and the FF films.

After First Class and The Wolverine finally can see they are heading in the right direction and DoFP looks great so looking forward to whatever else we get with new enthusiasm, surprised Apocolypse was announced so soon but bring it on as well as W3 and X-Force!!

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Angamb
Banned User

Im really interested in X-Force, it would mean a whole different team with more badass characters, and that could lead to some of them crossing over to main Movies.

Id love to see a X-Men movie where we see Cyclops, Cable, Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Bishop, Iceman, Kitty, Domino, Archangel, Psylocke and more all in the same movie.

It would be f***** Epic and Memorable. It would be like the ultimate X-Men movie to me, with such iconic characters all in the same movie for once and for all. Really hope this is Singer/Kimberg/Millar ultimate plan.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

The thing about X-Force is there's no certainty about its success. At best it would perform at the box-office like the 2005 Fantastic Four movie but I doubt it will even gross more than $140 million in the United States.

I feel like X-Force would look like as light X-Men to mainstream viewers and they might want to skip the movie when its already out. What we learned about the last 3 X-men movies is the mainstream viewers are more supportive/invested to the original cast. Fox shouldn't take a different turn right after X-Men: Apocalypse especially if DOFP/Apocalypse earned more money than their predecessors.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-08-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
def28
Side-Kick

I stil think building to Apocalypse with X-Force like GOTG is with Thanos would be a better route story wise, but given characters like Cable have played a strong role with Apocalypse, (and Singer mentioned interest in characters like Deadpool), there could be a possibility that X-Force characters appear in XM:A before they have their own film. Giving them a very large audience introduction. Which would no doubt have impact on their film.

Cable, Deadpool, Gambit, Psylocke and Angel seem to be the most hyped ones they are currently not using. 4 out of those 5 are X-Force members.

Last edited by def28; 12-09-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #20
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Those characters can be simply introduced in X-Men: Apocalypse or in a X-Men movie. And with that, producers wouldn't think twice letting them work with the X-Men compare if X-Force didn't please the Fox execs with its box-office numbers or if X-Force didn't please the crowd by the film's quality.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #21
def28
Side-Kick

Well regardless if X-Force came out before or after and was a hit or not, their place in XM:A wont change. That films already got a date, and Im sure Singer and Fox already know the plan for characters. If X-Force members are in that flick they would be a lock in that film even if X-Force flopped before its release.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #22
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Huh what? X-Force doesn't have a date and I'm sure Bryan Singer could use any characters that he wants even if those characters are already in the X-Force script.

Anyway I prefer characters like Gambit, Psylocke and Archangel to appear in core X-Men movies first. If something doesn't do well with Psylocke/Archangel appearing in X-Force, that could mean that we won't see them work/appear in a movie with the core X-Men team. Well, right now it doesn't look like we would be seeing popular X-Men members Gambit and Emma Frost interact with the core X-Men team because

a. Origins sucked and we don't know what happened with Gambit after that movie and there's also a huge gap between Origins/X1.
b. Critics didn't like Emma Frost in First Class and now she's mia in DOFP.

It would only take 1 great writer to bring those two back and let them work or at least interact with the core X-Men team.... but they already appeared before in a prequel/spin-off and chances are, the directors/writers would just pick another character to use.

Without these spin-offs/prequels, major characters like Gambit/Emma Frost probably already worked or had an interaction with the major X-Men players.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-09-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I stil think building to Apocalypse with X-Force like GOTG is with Thanos would be a better route story wise, but given characters like Cable have played a strong role with Apocalypse, (and Singer mentioned interest in characters like Deadpool), there could be a possibility that X-Force characters appear in XM:A before they have their own film. Giving them a very large audience introduction. Which would no doubt have impact on their film.

Cable, Deadpool, Gambit, Psylocke and Angel seem to be the most hyped ones they are currently not using. 4 out of those 5 are X-Force members.
I wouldn't be shocked to see X-Force following X-Men: Apocalypse. I was wondering how how Fox would go about launching X-Force, and some introductions in the next team film seems logical.

henzINNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #24
def28
Side-Kick

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Huh what? X-Force doesn't have a date and I'm sure Bryan Singer could use any characters that he wants even if those characters are already in the X-Force script.
Edit: Just go back and read my posts. You misinterpreted.

Last edited by def28; 12-09-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I don't even think Apocalypse will be completely dealth with in this flick. It could be more of a Sinister movie or 4 Horseman movie, with Apocalypse in the background, and his takeover is postponed but his return is not completely ruled out in the future. That way, X-Force can still deal with elements of Apocalypse, while handling other villains closer to home. But it would definitely make sense to introduce Cable beforehand in a major X-Men movie before doing X-Force.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote