The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #326
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Recasting Star Wars

Heh, always got a Mark Hamill vibe from him.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #327
regwec
Shakespearo

I see the resemblance, but I really don't think those characters should be recast. Why not just include R2, C3PO or Chewbacca to tie it to the old films? They could be played by anyone.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #328
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Pretty much. And I don't see them going for a movie set 5-10 years post-RotJ. I think this thread is more of a fun "what if?" one.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #329
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Jim Caviezel as Han Solo.

GoldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #330
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Right now just focus on new characters because I think if Abrams is going to bring back old school, he won't be recasting ****.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #331
Minus Shock
Captain Simple Jack

I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful in any kind of way. And I have given this a lot of thought. I think the reason people are excited for these movies (in genera) is to see what happened after Return of the Jedi. Not to jump 40 years into the future and throw in kids and feel like you are playing catch up to fill in the gap between RoJ and VII. That is just not logical at all. Not to mention as a HUGE Star Wars fan I feel there is SO much you can do picking up if not right after, then shortly after, Return of the Jedi. I mean even between III and IV it was 17 years different, the original cast is still too old. I love the original cast for what they did but they just aren't right. It limits storytelling options SO much and Abrams just wont do that. I can't believe he would. Especially after hearing him talk about characters and story telling. The roles of Luke, Leia and Han transcend their respective actors. I firmly believe movie goers and general audiences will accept recasting more than they will mid 60 actors and 4 decades worth of back story they have to catch up on. I don't really see what having the original actors would really serve. JJ Abrams recast the iconic cast of Trek and was someone controversial until the movie came out. It's too early to tell but I sincerely think we should come to accept the idea that these characters will be recast.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #332
regwec
Shakespearo

Couldn't disagree more. I think it is the Star Wars concept that transcends those characters, but that those characters are Hamill, Ford and Fisher in their skin and bones.

The OT is next to inviolable in many people's minds. So equal it- don't feed of its lifeblood.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #333
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus Shock View Post
I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful in any kind of way. And I have given this a lot of thought. I think the reason people are excited for these movies (in genera) is to see what happened after Return of the Jedi. Not to jump 40 years into the future and throw in kids and feel like you are playing catch up to fill in the gap between RoJ and VII. That is just not logical at all. Not to mention as a HUGE Star Wars fan I feel there is SO much you can do picking up if not right after, then shortly after, Return of the Jedi. I mean even between III and IV it was 17 years different, the original cast is still too old. I love the original cast for what they did but they just aren't right. It limits storytelling options SO much and Abrams just wont do that. I can't believe he would. Especially after hearing him talk about characters and story telling. The roles of Luke, Leia and Han transcend their respective actors. I firmly believe movie goers and general audiences will accept recasting more than they will mid 60 actors and 4 decades worth of back story they have to catch up on. I don't really see what having the original actors would really serve. JJ Abrams recast the iconic cast of Trek and was someone controversial until the movie came out. It's too early to tell but I sincerely think we should come to accept the idea that these characters will be recast.
Not at all. I and many many others, I guarantee you, want to see the next generation.

And I'd love to hear why the bolded part is true.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #334
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

You know, I'd love to see elements of the Thrawn trilogy in the new movies. Obviously not a direct retelling, but maybe bring Thrawn in as a force behind the re-emerging empire...

And my choice for Thrawn? Jason Isaacs.

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #335
Minus Shock
Captain Simple Jack

Here's the thing. The movies are going to have to at least acknowledge the Expanded universe which has carved out it's part in Star Wars lore. They can't just ignore them because all of those books would essentially become pointless. Fans of the books would not appreciate the expanded universe being ignored. With that in mind, jumping 20 years into the future is going to skip so many things that people who love the original trilogy aren't going to want to feel like they missed stuff. Or the movies would just explain everything it skipped, which would stupid. It's only logical to pick up shortly after the trilogy and introduce the next generation which will lead for more trilogies and stories to be told.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #336
regwec
Shakespearo

I don't see why that is the only logical approach, at all. I think you have merely described what you want to see.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #337
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus Shock View Post
Here's the thing. The movies are going to have to at least acknowledge the Expanded universe which has carved out it's part in Star Wars lore. They can't just ignore them because all of those books would essentially become pointless. Fans of the books would not appreciate the expanded universe being ignored.
Lucas screwed numerous EU stuff with the Prequels, so it's not like it hasn't be done. And the pre-OT books/comics/etc weren't even that amny. Imagine what will happen now that the EU has covered at least 40 years post-RotJ. It's gonna happen, better brace for it. And that's coming from someone who owns tons of EU stuff and loves the EU for the msot aprt.

Quote:
With that in mind, jumping 20 years into the future is going to skip so many things that people who love the original trilogy aren't going to want to feel like they missed stuff. Or the movies would just explain everything it skipped, which would stupid. It's only logical to pick up shortly after the trilogy and introduce the next generation which will lead for more trilogies and stories to be told.
This is just your personal wishes, though, not what should logically happen.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #338
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I think many parts of the EU will be fine, but I no doubt know some of the probably good stuff is going to be overridden.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #339
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare Shape View Post
You know, I'd love to see elements of the Thrawn trilogy in the new movies. Obviously not a direct retelling, but maybe bring Thrawn in as a force behind the re-emerging empire...

And my choice for Thrawn? Jason Isaacs.
I can always get behind Issacs as a villain. He'd do great as a Thrawn-like character, if not Thrawn himself.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #340
Rorschach2012
$

I think the only things that should be canon are the original films. Not the EU. I like to think of that is fan fiction. The new story should only be bound by the films

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #341
Jedi-Spirit
Side-Kick

Billy Bob Thorton as Wuher, Gina Gershon as Mon Mothma, Fred Savage as Lobot

Jedi-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #342
The Bat
Jim Lee Fanatic

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I have to say that J.J. has to pull a Star Trek and "RECAST!"

I know that Lucas has talked to Ford & Fisher, but he's not in charge anymore...and they're to damned OLD! It's also been stated that it will take place right after "Return of the Jedi"...which makes it impossible to use the original actors.

J.J. has already proven he can pull off a successful recast. I don't want to see the adventures of Han & Leia's children...I want Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy and so on....

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Couple of picks for Actors:

Ian Somerhadler- Han Solo
Leia- Keira Knightly/or Scarlett Joansson
Luke- Sebastian Stan
Obi Wan's Ghost- Ewan McGregor

Last edited by The Bat; 12-07-2013 at 07:25 AM.
The Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #343
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

It's never been stated that this movie takes place straight after Return of the Jedi at all, in fact every piece of evidence we have about the movie suggests it's set about 30 years after. Luke, Han and Leia will not be the leads of these movies, new characters will be. The Big 3 will be supporting characters.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #344
The Bat
Jim Lee Fanatic

It was stated at point that it would take place right after ROTJ(I remember reading it)...but of course, it could have been rumor.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #345
Octoberist
point blank

No it's been stated that it would take 20-30 years later. It was posted in the trades.

Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #346
The Bat
Jim Lee Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
No it's been stated that it would take 20-30 years later. It was posted in the trades.
Whatever dude, it's not worth arguing over. I still hope they change their minds, re-cast and pick up right after ROTJ.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #347
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

They won't. Better start looking at pics of old Mark, Harrison and Carrie for at least 2 hours a day (that includes weekends).

Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #348
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat View Post
Whatever dude, it's not worth arguing over. I still hope they change their minds, re-cast and pick up right after ROTJ.
What a weird response. It's not 'whatever' dude as if its my silly opinion and you're disagree with me. How is is that possible when it's pretty much fact.

IE There's a difference between saying 'Ben Affleck is playing Batman' and 'Ben Afleck will rock/suck as Batman'. This is more in light with the former.

BTW, read this: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-for-star-wars

Also a well known journalist Roger Friedman confirmed it: http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/02/15...-are-returning

Last edited by Octoberist; 12-09-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #349
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat View Post
That's not how it's going down. Even Kathy said that it will be the "NEXT" generation of Skywalker, hence 25-40 years after ROTJ. They are not recasting the mains, because even George himself earlier this year confirmed that the big three are returning.

But regardless even JJ and many others have said it's the next generation of characters.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #350
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Zac Efron: Yes, I Met With Disney About Star Wars Episode VII
One of Latino Review's early Star Wars rumors has panned out.
Quote:
In an interview with MTV's Josh Horowitz, actor Zac Efron confirmed a long-standing rumor that he had met with representatives from Disney regarding a role in Star Wars Episode VII.

Horowitz asked Efron, Michael B. Jordan, and Miles Teller which of them was most likely to appear in a Star Wars movie. Teller immediately suggested Jordan before reminding Efron that there were early rumors swirling about his participation.

"Yeah, I just went and met with them, so I don't know," Efron said in response. "It would be cool. I love [the Star Wars movies], I love them, but...who knows?"

Kellvin Chavez of Latino Review originated the rumor about Efron and Ryan Gosling -- whose representative subsequently denied his participation -- in July 2013.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote