The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #101
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread

I still wonder if people opinions on Watchmen are skewed due to how much they like the graphic novel.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #102
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

If anything, quite a few of the book fans are more critical.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #103
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Oh, I thought you meant that it was actually subtle overall.

I don't see how the meaning of the line changes. It's just no longer between Veidt and Manhattan, and Veidt isn't aware of the impending issue with his plan. Which isn't really all that Dr. Manhattan meant anyway. That line has a ton of meaning, not just one or two.
Which is the entire meaning of that line. It says so much about both of those characters, about the story as a whole, and about the story's analysis of what superheroes really mean. The line is stripped of all of that meaning when it's Laurie saying it to Dan in Laurie's mom's house.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #104
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
If anything, quite a few of the book fans are more critical.
I don't know if I agree with that given how closely the story matches (ending notwithstanding) with the novel. Fans always want comic accuracy as much as possible.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #105
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Which is the entire meaning of that line. It says so much about both of those characters, about the story as a whole, and about the story's analysis of what superheroes really mean. The line is stripped of all of that meaning when it's Laurie saying it to Dan in Laurie's mom's house.
No. That's not the entire meaning of the line. Much of the dialogue in WATCHMEN speaks to the human experience, not just the interactions of the characters involved.

The scene itself didn't exist in the film, so it's not like just the line was missing.

But the line, and its metameaning, is still present in the film.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #106
The Question

Quote:
No. That's not the entire meaning of the line. Much of the dialogue in WATCHMEN speaks to the human experience, not just the interactions of the characters involved.
It speaks to the human experience through the interactions of the characters involved. They're not separate from one another at all.

Quote:
The scene itself didn't exist in the film, so it's not like just the line was missing.
No, but that clearly shows that the filmmakers thought the line could be given to another character in another context and still work.

Quote:
But the line, and its metameaning, is still present in the film.
Gonna have to disagree. It doesn't have anywhere the same meaning when it's between Dan and Laurie and Laurie's mom's house. The only meaning it retains, the surface reading of the line itself, is by far the least important meaning the line has.

Between Manhattan and Ozymandias, it speaks to the perspectives these two characters have, how those perspectives have changed over the course of the story, how those characters and those perspectives stand for larger schools of thought in human society, and it speaks to the very superheroic notions of an end to history and great men making grand sweeping gestures changing the course of history irrevocably, and how Dr. Manhattan has grown beyond such a notion and how Ozymandias and Rorschach (who died in the scene just prior to this one) could not and how such a viewpoint is actually quote destructive.

Shared between Laurie and Dan, it's just a vague new age platitude to end a movie on.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #107
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
It speaks to the human experience through the interactions of the characters involved. They're not separate from one another at all.

No, but that clearly shows that the filmmakers thought the line could be given to another character in another context and still work.

Gonna have to disagree. It doesn't have anywhere the same meaning when it's between Dan and Laurie and Laurie's mom's house. The only meaning it retains, the surface reading of the line itself, is by far the least important meaning the line has.

Between Manhattan and Ozymandias, it speaks to the perspectives these two characters have, how those perspectives have changed over the course of the story, how those characters and those perspectives stand for larger schools of thought in human society, and it speaks to the very superheroic notions of an end to history and great men making grand sweeping gestures changing the course of history irrevocably, and how Dr. Manhattan has grown beyond such a notion and how Ozymandias and Rorschach (who died in the scene just prior to this one) could not and how such a viewpoint is actually quote destructive.

Shared between Laurie and Dan, it's just a vague new age platitude to end a movie on.
Did you just type "quote" as opposed to just using quotes or is that a typo?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #108
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Did you just type "quote" as opposed to just using quotes or is that a typo?
Typo. It's supposed to say "quite"

Old 12-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #109
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Typo. It's supposed to say "quite"
Ah, I just wanted to make sure I was getting your whole point -- not that one word is going to make all that much of a difference nut it just stuck out to me.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #110
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

At least he isn't M. Night Shyamalan. look where he's at now?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #111
hafizbat
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

My favorite scene done by Snyder.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #112
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I still wonder if people opinions on Watchmen are skewed due to how much they like the graphic novel.
I have not read the novel, and I like the movie. I don't understand why people hate the movie, but I assume it's because they think the novel is better.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #113
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I have not read the novel, and I like the movie. I don't understand why people hate the movie, but I assume it's because they think the novel is better.

More like PERFECTION.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #114
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I haven't read the novel, and I really enjoy Snyder's Watchmen. It's a unique and expansive film. It's where Snyder's aesthetic and approach work beautifully. He had fantastic source material from the get-go, and Snyder's passion was pretty evident throughout.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #115
sf2
Side-Kick

I feel that his movies r mostly macho, muscular, toughness, roughness, angst, simple n without twist. there r always force n fight, seldom use a more clever or diplomatic manner to solve the whatever issue.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #116
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I had never read the novel and maybe that's why I ended up realy enjoying the movie. Thought it was bad ass.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #117
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I feel that his movies r mostly macho, muscular, toughness, roughness, angst, simple n without twist. there r always force n fight, seldom use a more clever or diplomatic manner to solve the whatever issue.
There's nothing inherently wrong with making movies like that. They're still quite entertaining, which is really the point.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #118
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

He is a dispicable brute, i hate him !

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #119
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
He is a dispicable brute, i hate him !

should we pay him a visit?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #120
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with making movies like that. They're still quite entertaining, which is really the point.
But... brain over muscle...

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #121
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

I think Snyder has some George Lucas in him, he's great when it comes to special effects, cinematography and action scenes but struggles with dialogue and directing actors.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #122
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I don't think that is a bad thing at all. Every kind of cinema has its place. 99% blockbusters are dumb as hell, so its not like Snyder's movies are specially dumb. And I like his macho aesthetic, I think more people could use it. I think he is one of the directors in the mainstream to really bring the badass machismo in the movies, most are watered down these days.

What I object to in his film are the horrid scripts he works with. I think pared with good material, he could make a masterpiece. I find his tightest script to date to be 300 and consequently that is also his most accomplished film.

All others are really really messy.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #123
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Watchmen is my second favorite comic book movie. Love that movie

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #124
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Yeah, it's one my favorites too. I like Snyder a lot as a director; I just feel that he needs a good script to work with. This is why I thought he did a great job with MOS and Watchmen. 300 bugs me a little bit, but that's more to do with Frank Miller's thinly veiled prejudice against Muslims and probably other cultures. Though I do think Snyder could have toned some of that down for the film. Sucker Punch was awesome visually, but man did that story suck.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #125
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Edit

Closed Thread