The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #76
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Is Wonder Woman gonna fly?

Though I understand how she obtained her power to fly. I always found that premise kind of corny and it never made since why an Amazon would need to fly. I prefer her grounded as a warrior, but again I'm not totally opposed to the idea of her not flying forever.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #77
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
And Batman...and Wonder Woman! Diana I'm not sure about but Batman is a scene stealer by nature when done right.

BOOO!

: super:!!!!

Ugh. Sorry. Having a bit of a freak-out.

Yes, Bats is a scene-stealer at times.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #78
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Though I understand how she obtained her power to fly. I always found that premise kind of corny and it never made since why an Amazon would need to fly. I prefer her grounded as a warrior, but again I'm not totally opposed to the idea of her not flying forever.
I mostly agree, i just don't mind her flying with the help of magic items, but naturally having that ability? not a big fan of that.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #79
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Has Diana ever naturally been able to fly? Never heard of that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #80
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I mostly agree, i just don't mind her flying with the help of magic items, but naturally having that ability? not a big fan of that.
Yeah. I want some ground hand2hand action

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #81
roach
I am the night

Quote:
none of her abilities are natural…they are gifts from the gods…Hermes gives her the power of flight.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #82
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Her flying is somehow more corny than a race of ancient warriors who have been isolated from the outside world for millennia somehow having an high-tech invisible jet lying around. As for why she would need to fly, how about to get around or to fight villains who can also fly. Seriously, I don't get this obsession with weakening her simply for the sake of being "different." Superman is the only hero who should fly, that's just dumb.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #83
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
No to the flying in this movie. I am not opposed to it in general.
Would you be okay with her using a jet or Pegasus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
BOOO!

: super:!!!!

Ugh. Sorry. Having a bit of a freak-out.

Yes, Bats is a scene-stealer at times.
Lol it's fine, I understand your love for Supes.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #84
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
none of her abilities are natural…they are gifts from the gods…Hermes gives her the power of flight.
If you want to talk about WW's powers outside of her first appearance then she is now Zeus's daughter, not gifted by those gods.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #85
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
All this talk of should she fly makes me wonder how they would introduce that sort of ability? Is it a gift from Hermes? Can all Amazons fly? Are the Greek gods real? The question for me is how will this more realistic version of Wondy actually fly?

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #86
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Her flying is somehow more corny than a race of ancient warriors who have been isolated from the outside world for millennia somehow having an high-tech invisible jet lying around. As for why she would need to fly, how about to get around or to fight villains who can also fly. Seriously, I don't get this obsession with weakening her simply for the sake of being "different." Superman is the only hero who should fly, that's just dumb.
I have never said he should be the only hero to fly. You are all mistaking my obvious love for Superman as the reason I don't want Wondy to fly. That is not it. Over the years writers have tried to either make her more or less like him by adding powers to her powerset. The flying is the most obvious one that was added. I never really understood why an Amazon would need to fly. Increased speed I got, but not the flying part since it just seemed unnecessary to me. That's more of a fangirl quirk that has nothing to do with Superman really. I prefer her being more a grounded warrior and think that should be the most important thing that is really shown. The flying is superfluous to that IMO.
Quote:
Would you be okay with her using a jet or Pegasus?
It depends on her origin really and how they introduce her. I can't really see Pegasus in this world, but I can see some sort of high-tech jet that is invisible to radar and what not.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #87
Loki882
Side-Kick

Simply, she's the daughter of Zeus, and Zues can fly. It's not that complicated.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #88
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have never said he should be the only hero to fly. You are all mistaking my obvious love for Superman as the reason I don't want Wondy to fly. That is not it. Over the years writers have tried to either make her more or less like him by adding powers to her powerset. The flying is the most obvious one that was added. I never really understood why an Amazon would need to fly. Increased speed I got, but not the flying part since it just seemed unnecessary to me. That's more of a fangirl quirk that has nothing to do with Superman really. I prefer her being more a grounded warrior and think that should be the most important thing that is really shown. The flying is superfluous to that IMO.
Why does Superman need to fly, or Thor, or Martian Manhunter, etc? I'm sorry, but no superhero NEEDS to fly. Holding WW to a different standard makes little sense to me. Her being able to fly DOES NOT make her more like Superman as he is not the only hero who can fly, period. As for the more "grounded warrior" argument, then she's not that much stronger than Batman. I DON'T like that, she should be Superman's equal, and I'm sure that most people would probably agree.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #89
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
I have never said he should be the only hero to fly. You are all mistaking my obvious love for Superman as the reason I don't want Wondy to fly. That is not it. Over the years writers have tried to either make her more or less like him by adding powers to her powerset. The flying is the most obvious one that was added. I never really understood why an Amazon would need to fly. Increased speed I got, but not the flying part since it just seemed unnecessary to me. That's more of a fangirl quirk that has nothing to do with Superman really. I prefer her being more a grounded warrior and think that should be the most important thing that is really shown. The flying is superfluous to that IMO.It depends on her origin really and how they introduce her. I can't really see Pegasus in this world, but I can see some sort of high-tech jet that is invisible to radar and what not.
But why not Pegasus when we've already seen creatures like H'Raka in MOS?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #90
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
But why not Pegasus when we've already seen creatures like H'Raka in MOS?
H'Raka was on Krypton. Pegasus doesn't make sense in the MOS universe. Heck, I don't even think Wonder woman makes sense in this universe.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #91
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Why does Superman need to fly, or Thor, or Martian Manhunter, etc? I'm sorry, but no superhero NEEDS to fly. Holding WW to a different standard makes little sense to me. Her being able to fly DOES NOT make her more like Superman as he is not the only hero who can fly, period. As for the more "grounded warrior" argument, then she's not that much stronger than Batman. I DON'T like that, she should be Superman's equal, and I'm sure that most people would probably agree.
le sigh...flying is cool and just because she flies doesn't make her like Superman. I get it. Yet, you completely missed what I said about me not seeing why an Amazon would fly at all. I don't think that she would, and she fact she didn't always does actually mean something to me. You missed all that to focus on one piece.
Quote:
H'Raka was on Krypton. Pegasus doesn't make sense in the MOS universe. Heck, I don't even think Wonder woman makes sense in this universe.
That's exactly what I was going to say. I will also be very curious to see how Wondy's origin's are explained.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #92
roach
I am the night

Quote:
le sigh...flying is cool and just because she flies doesn't make her like Superman. I get it. Yet, you completely missed what I said about me not seeing why an Amazon would fly at all. I don't think that she would, and she fact she didn't always does actually mean something to me. You missed all that to focus on one piece. That's exactly what I was going to say. I will also be very curious to see how Wondy's origin's are explained.
Wonder Woman is not an average amazon…they are not all super strong and invulnerable.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #93
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
But you have to realize this is not just the MOS universe, it's the DC Universe where all of these crazy things happen. Just like Krypton had native creatures, Themyscira should have the same.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #94
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
le sigh...flying is cool and just because she flies doesn't make her like Superman. I get it. Yet, you completely missed what I said about me not seeing why an Amazon would fly at all. I don't think that she would, and she fact she didn't always does actually mean something to me. You missed all that to focus on one piece. That's exactly what I was going to say. I will also be very curious to see how Wondy's origin's are explained.
But what does him being on Krypton have to do with anything?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #95
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
I think she shouldn't fly, Superman and Green Lantern should be the only ones who should fly.
What about Martian Manhunter? he's always been able to fly. And as someone else pointed out, WW's been able to fly in both comics and animation for years now, why should they stop that?

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #96
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
But you have to realize this is not just the MOS universe, it's the DC Universe where all of these crazy things happen. Just like Krypton had native creatures, Themyscira should have the same.
If they're using the same Superman, they're in the MOS universe. Suddenly adding "all these crazy things" seems like a bit of a retcon to me. I can't picture a magical island existing in MOS at all. And a pegasus flying threw metropolis? I just can't see it.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #97
jmc
callin' it like I see it

In the Perez reboot her flight came from sandals given to her from Hermes the Messenger god.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #98
CharlieS
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's exactly what I was going to say. I will also be very curious to see how Wondy's origin's are explained.
I think they will take inspiration from the WW animated movie. The island could be hidden by the power of the gods and WW could come in our world to stop Ares.

CharlieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #99
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
If they're using the same Superman, they're in the MOS universe. Suddenly adding "all these crazy things" seems like a bit of a retcon to me. I can't picture a magical island existing in MOS at all. And a pegasus flying threw metropolis? I just can't see it.
How is it a retcon? We haven't seen that much of the universe yet so no rules can be set. For example, if we haven't seen Themyscira how can we declare what exists there and what doesn't? And just because Superman is in it does not make this the MOS universe. Batman is in this, Diana is in this, etc. It is their universe just as much, meaning it is a United DC Universe like the comics. The MCU is not the Iron Man universe just because it started with him.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #100
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Wonder Woman is not an average amazon…they are not all super strong and invulnerable.
Sure I get that. I am somewhat familiar with her and not just her past 30 years of history. My point is the flying was added to make her more like Superman, which was not a good thing in my opinion. I prefer her more grounded as an amazing Amazonian fighter who doesn't fly. Again though, I'm not saying she can't, but I would prefer she didn't for all the reasons I have stated previously in this thread an in others.
Quote:
But what does him being on Krypton have to do with anything?
It's more that I would expect that type of creature on an alien planet. I'm not sure how a flying mythical beast of legend would be explained in this world. If they are going to add the Greek gods and stuff then sure. It can happen, but the way MOS played I can't really envision that happening in this world.