The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #101
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Wonder Woman gonna fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
But you have to realize this is not just the MOS universe, it's the DC Universe where all of these crazy things happen. Just like Krypton had native creatures, Themyscira should have the same.
THIS!

The "real world (how Earthlings react, how they act)" part should be grounded. The rest should be ALL OUT COMIC BOOK GOODNESS.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #102
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
If they're using the same Superman, they're in the MOS universe. Suddenly adding "all these crazy things" seems like a bit of a retcon to me. I can't picture a magical island existing in MOS at all. And a pegasus flying threw metropolis? I just can't see it.
it's not a retcon…a retcon is like if they said magic doesn't exist and then this movie says it does.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #103
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
THIS!

The "real world (how Earthlings react, how they act)" part should be grounded. The rest should be ALL OUT COMIC BOOK GOODNESS.
Exactly!

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #104
charl_huntress
The Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
I think they will take inspiration from the WW animated movie. The island could be hidden by the power of the gods and WW could come in our world to stop Ares.
I could see that... I'm open to the possibilities the movie left open that there could be more in the world then we know of. The scout ship was sent here 20,000 years ago, so anything could be possible. It just doesn't seem likely at this point, but it could definitely happen.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #105
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Sure I get that. I am somewhat familiar with her and not just her past 30 years of history. My point is the flying was added to make her more like Superman, which was not a good thing in my opinion. I prefer her more grounded as an amazing Amazonian fighter who doesn't fly. Again though, I'm not saying she can't, but I would prefer she didn't for all the reasons I have stated previously in this thread an in others. It's more that I would expect that type of creature on an alien planet. I'm not sure how a flying mythical beast of legend would be explained in this world. If they are going to add the Greek gods and stuff then sure. It can happen, but the way MOS played I can't really envision that happening in this world.
It's like how a platypus looks like two animals put together and we view it as normal. Pegasus isn't a complicated concept for an animal species native to Themyscira.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #106
CharlieS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
What about Martian Manhunter? he's always been able to fly. And as someone else pointed out, WW's been able to fly in both comics and animation for years now, why should they stop that?
I think they should replace MM by Cyborg for the JL. My list for the JL is:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Wonder woman
4. The flash
5. Green Lantern
6. Cyborg

CharlieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #107
charl_huntress
The Offender

Quote:
It's like how a platypus looks like two animals put together and we view it as normal. Pegasus isn't a complicated concept for an animal species native to Themyscira.
I get it. My point is I'm not sure how that could be introduced in a film like MOS. At this point it would feel like a Pegasus showing up in BB. It's just seems out of place for what has so far been shown. Does that make any sort of sense to you? This next movie could introduce all kinds of fantastic elements we haven't seen, but at this point judging by MOS solely it would feel a bit out of place.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #108
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
I think they should replace MM by Cyborg for the JL. My list for the JL is:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Wonder woman
4. The flash
5. Green Lantern
6. Cyborg
That would be unecessary and actually overcomplicate the plot, since with MM you can easily explain what he is, Cyborg's a concept that need more time.

And it would be a crime to have Cyborg be in the team instead of MM or Aquaman, expecially when he is a known Teen Titan, yes, the reboot made him a founding member of the JL, that doesn't make it any better, the last reboot made Superman and Batman not part of the founding members of the JL. And most of Cyborg's personality is given in the very popular Teen Titans animated show, so, once again, Cyborg should not be shoehorned into the foundation of the league

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #109
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
How is it a retcon? We haven't seen that much of the universe yet so no rules can be set. For example, if we haven't seen Themyscira how can we declare what exists there and what doesn't? And just because Superman is in it does not make this the MOS universe. Batman is in this, Diana is in this, etc. It is their universe just as much, meaning it is a United DC Universe like the comics. The MCU is not the Iron Man universe just because it started with him.
Goyer went on and on about this universe was grounded in reality and about how Superman was put in a realistic world. He was the odd element that people were to react to. And he was used in a Sci-fi sort or way. WW is neither sci-fi, nor realistic. They don't have to say that Themyscira doesn't exist for it to seem retcon-ish. Creating a semi-realistic world with sci-fi and then then having magic and Pegasus and Amazons in the next movie seems like they just threw her in there and changed what this universe is by doing so. And this isn't the MOS universe? So they took Superman out of the universe they created in MOS and threw him into this DC universe that has no rules? Seems odd. And very unappealing to me. But before everyone throws tomatoes, please note that this is just my preference.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #110
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Seconded. It was interesting that someone point out that maybe the best way is to put a different way to fly like if she seems to be in the ocean. Obviously she has not the same speed as superman nor the same way than Superman flies.

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.
MAN OF STEEL: THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE AND OUR 21st CENTURY SUPERMAN.

John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #111
charl_huntress
The Offender

Quote:
Goyer went on and on about this universe was grounded in reality and about how Superman was put in a realistic world. He was the odd element that people were to react to. And he was used in a Sci-fi sort or way. WW is neither sci-fi, nor realistic. They don't have to say that Themyscira doesn't exist for it to seem retcon-ish. Creating a semi-realistic world with sci-fi and then then having magic and Pegasus and Amazons in the next movie seems like they just threw her in there and changed what this universe is by doing so. And this isn't the MOS universe? So they took Superman out of the universe they created in MOS and threw him into this DC universe that has no rules? Seems odd. And very unappealing to me. But before everyone throws tomatoes, please note that this is just my preference.
I didn't really read a lot of the news for this movie, but that does fit with what I actually saw in the movie. It certainly could happen, but I am very curious as to how they would do it.

Aside from the question of rather or not Diana can fly does anyone think they might radically change her origins?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #112
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Goyer went on and on about this universe was grounded in reality and about how Superman was put in a realistic world. He was the odd element that people were to react to. And he was used in a Sci-fi sort or way. WW is neither sci-fi, nor realistic.
Superman is not realistic either

They don't have to say that Themyscira doesn't exist for it to seem retcon-ish. Creating a semi-realistic world with sci-fi and then then having magic and Pegasus and Amazons in the next movie seems like they just threw her in there and changed what this universe is by doing so. And this isn't the MOS universe? So they took Superman out of the universe they created in MOS and threw him into this DC universe that has no rules? Seems odd. And very unappealing to me. But before everyone throws tomatoes, please note that this is just my preference.
We know this movie was going to lead into a Justice League movie…obviously there would be some other elements introduced. Del Toro is working on Justice League Dark which will feature all the magic characters. This universe has magic we just haven't seen it yet.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #113
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
it's not a retcon…a retcon is like if they said magic doesn't exist and then this movie says it does.
The universe they created makes it seem like it wouldn't exist. I mean, remember that 4th Indiana Jones movie and how odd all that alien stuff came off? And yet magical things in previous movies were ok? They never went out and said aliens didn't exist, but the universe they created didn't allow for it.

Quote:
We know this movie was going to lead into a Justice League movie…obviously there would be some other elements introduced. Del Toro is working on Justice League Dark which will feature all the magic characters. This universe has magic we just haven't seen it yet.
I know Superman isn't realistic. He's sci-fi. I already said the mos universe allows for sci-fi. But fantasy is a different thing entirely. Mixing all these seems...Disney-ish or something. And this movie isn't a Del Toro movie.

It's not that I don't understand this, it's that I don't like it. I feel it lowers the stakes when anything is possible in a given universe.

I've never liked mixing mythology into sci-fi. It works in the comics, but I can't picture how it can avoid being cheesy in live action.

Last edited by MrsKent26; 12-12-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #114
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
In mos it goes from being a realistic world dealing with unrealistic sci-fi elements. When Wonder Woman hits the scene it be comes a realistic world dealing Mythological elements. Whats not to understand.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #115
roach
I am the night

Quote:
The universe they created makes it seem like it wouldn't exist. I mean, remember that 4th Indiana Jones movie and how odd all that alien stuff came off? And yet magical things in previous movies were ok? They never went out and said aliens didn't exist, but the universe they created didn't allow for it.
I never saw the alien stuff in KOTCS as odd. I know that there is a thought in archaeology that aliens came here and taught men to build pyramids and stuff. There's a whole show on TV about it called Ancient Aliens.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #116
roach
I am the night

Quote:
I know Superman isn't realistic. He's sci-fi. I already said the mos universe allows for sci-fi. But fantasy is a different thing entirely. Mixing all these seems...Disney-ish or something.
Yes fixing sci-fi and fantasy is very Disney

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #117
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I never saw the alien stuff in KOTCS as odd. I know that there is a thought in archaeology that aliens came here and taught men to build pyramids and stuff. There's a whole show on TV about it called Ancient Aliens.
Good grief. You like everything and I dislike a lot of things. We're doomed to never agree.

And what is fantasy about SW? It's all sci-fi!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #118
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Good grief. You like everything and I dislike a lot of things. We're doomed to never agree.
Oh I never said that movie was good…just that aliens and archaeology do go together…just like in Stargate

Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #119
charl_huntress
The Offender

They would have to do some very good world building to work the Greek gods into the movie without the Percy Jackson vibe. It could be done I'm sure, but I can't even see them devoting that much time to it in this movie unless the point of it is to introduce that world in the first place. It very could be, but I'll be interested to see how they do it.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #120
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Oh I never said that movie was good…just that aliens and archaeology do go together…just like in Stargate
No, it wasn't good! Because they went crazy! Anything goes! They mixed aliens and fantasy and it came off dumb and unreal!

BAH!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #121
roach
I am the night

Quote:

And what is fantasy about SW? It's all sci-fi!
really???
Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #122
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #123
KillerMcQueen
The Foolhardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskent26 View Post
good grief. You like everything and i dislike a lot of things. We're doomed to never agree.

And what is fantasy about sw? it's all sci-fi!
The. Force.

KillerMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #124
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
really???
Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi.
Why? because of the Force? That was one specific element of fantasy perhaps. But either way....this isn't star wars! SW doesn't make it all ok!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #125
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
The. Force.

UNTIL I RETCONNED IT