Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #926
Ipodman
Love Tension

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Do you do the same with other series?
Nope... I usually watch every installment, and as far as possible, in chronological order. But when I rewatch movies, yes I tend to fast forward here and there...

And the first Harry Potter film is the best one...

Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #927
CB Fan
The Watcher

I love the hunger games and JLaw, but if don't think she's done anything in the HG movies that any other competent actress couldn't do. I roll my eyes every time I read a fan review that exaggerates her performance in the films, she's good in them but not as earth shattering amazing as everyone claims.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #928
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Eh, you might be on to something there... I think that her performances in other, more difficult roles has perhaps caused critics and fans to overrate her performance in HG to some extent. However, I do feel that she's great in those films and that there are plenty of lesser actresses (Hello, Kristen Stewart) who could have made those movies completely suck.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #929
CB Fan
The Watcher

Oh god, I don't even want to imagine Kristen Stewart in the role...And I'm happy that we got a good actress but her performance is way overrated, IMO. The character is just so well written in the books and movies that a good actress could do the minimum and still get away with it.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #930
StarLord

I'm surprised K-Stew still has a bottom lip after five movies of intense lip biting.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #931
Soapy
It's happening again...

RE: Harry Potter, I think there's a really great trilogy lurking somewhere in that story, but the movies as they stand are just ridiculously bloated with far too many pointless subplots and endless distractions from the main narrative.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #932
Victarion
Cut

You could take Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows as a trilogy.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #933
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
I'm surprised K-Stew still has a bottom lip after five movies of intense lip biting.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #934
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Isn't the whole movie a tribute to both?
We'll see. So far it looks like Rocky is getting all the love. I know Raging Bull isn't as well-known as Rocky, but come on. If this movie doesn't honor the De Niro picture, it defeats its own purpose.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #935
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

The Tolkien Saga, as I call it (Rings and Hobbit) is an amazing feat in fantasy moving making. Purists can whine all they want but I think the good far, far FAR outweighs the bad in these films. The scope of it all is staggering and I enjoy damn near every moment of them.

They capture the essence of fantasy perfectly for me. They capture the light, the dark, and the pure of what good fantasy is.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #936
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
The Tolkien Saga, as I call it (Rings and Hobbit) is an amazing feat in fantasy moving making. Purists can whine all they want but I think the good far, far FAR outweighs the bad in these films. The scope of it all is staggering and I enjoy damn near every moment of them.

They capture the essence of fantasy perfectly for me. They capture the light, the dark, and the pure of what good fantasy is.
Thank you. Every time I read an article from some uptight blogger bemoaning the "inaccuracies" in these films, I roll my eyes. I've read the books, and I love them... in fact, The Lord of the Rings is my favorite book of all time (I consider it to be one book, since that's what it initially was before they made Tolkien split it up). Yes, there are changes made for the films, but most of it was for the better. Unless EACH movie was going to be 12 hours long, there was no way that Peter Jackson could have incorporated every little thing into those films. And even if they DID, fans would have still found other things to complain about.

Now, I will say that turning The Hobbit into three movies seems like they are milking things a bit, but hell... if they are allowed to do it with The Hunger Games and Twilight, then why not the heroes of Middle Earth? And while the Sauron stuff doesn't necessarily belong there, Sauron is one of the coolest parts of the entire story, so I don't mind seeing more of that.

The films of course aren't perfect. But what movies really are? Like you said, the good FAR outweighs the bad and while they may not please every nerd out there with internet access, they certainly please this diehard Tolkien fan.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #937
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I don't care about the inaccuracies. Actually the Hobbit does not have inaccuracies, if anything it is more accurate that is should have been. I don't get why people get so put off by the changes and the additional plotlines. Its the Middle Earth not your avarage movie of the week. When i see LOTR or Hobbit i want to be fully immersed into this world for HOURS !!! it's a journey not your saturday night pop corn fest. F-purists. I am a huge fan of the books and I acted like a Twilight fangirl when the Necromancer showed up.

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #938
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Thank you. Every time I read an article from some uptight blogger bemoaning the "inaccuracies" in these films, I roll my eyes. I've read the books, and I love them... in fact, The Lord of the Rings is my favorite book of all time (I consider it to be one book, since that's what it initially was before they made Tolkien split it up). Yes, there are changes made for the films, but most of it was for the better. Unless EACH movie was going to be 12 hours long, there was no way that Peter Jackson could have incorporated every little thing into those films. And even if they DID, fans would have still found other things to complain about.

Now, I will say that turning The Hobbit into three movies seems like they are milking things a bit, but hell... if they are allowed to do it with The Hunger Games and Twilight, then why not the heroes of Middle Earth? And while the Sauron stuff doesn't necessarily belong there, Sauron is one of the coolest parts of the entire story, so I don't mind seeing more of that.

The films of course aren't perfect. But what movies really are? Like you said, the good FAR outweighs the bad and while they may not please every nerd out there with internet access, they certainly please this diehard Tolkien fan.
This X 1000. I can't stand going in the hobbit movie thread because of all the butt hurt lotrheads.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #939
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
To be fair, people b*****d (and with Hunger Games, are b******g) about the last movie being split into 2 books.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #940
CB Fan
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
To be fair, people b*****d (and with Hunger Games, are b******g) about the last movie being split into 2 books.
Damn right! Hell I'm still *****ing about the third Hunger Games book being turned into two movies. From a business perspective I get it but it's not like the book is giving an over abundance of material to spend two movies on.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #941
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
This X 1000. I can't stand going in the hobbit movie thread because of all the butt hurt lotrheads.
Yeah there is a ocean of negativity.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #942
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post
Damn right! Hell I'm still *****ing about the third Hunger Games book being turned into two movies. From a business perspective I get it but it's not like the book is giving an over abundance of material to spend two movies on.
I'm hoping the lack of material for two films might actually be a good thing, it gives them time to improve upon it and flesh some parts out more.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #943
georgec
Not a hero

Bruce Willis is the most overrated action star of all time.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #944
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post
I never read the books but I've been told it's not worth splitting it into 2, so I'm baffled by why Lionsgate think there is enough material to make fans happy by turning it into two movies.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #945
Lobo
skip skip skip

There's not, Mockingjay should be one movie.

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #946
SuperFerret
This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I never read the books but I've been told it's not worth splitting it into 2, so I'm baffled by why Lionsgate think there is enough material to make fans happy by turning it into two movies.
We in the business call that an "excuse" and a "lie". They want more money, they just use the "ah, we want to include all the parts of the book that you all love so we have to split it into two movies, hehe" thing to appease people.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #947
Ipodman
Love Tension

Depends on whether you like the franchise I guess... If the movies are good, then who cares if each book is 17 movies...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #948
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

I get the hate for The Hobbit split. Two movies...okay, but three movies from the shortest book in the whole LOTR cycle? Seems a bit much to me. I don't particularly give a **** about those movies though, just a bit of an outsider pov.

As far as splits of movies and seasons, it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #949
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I don't care about the inaccuracies. Actually the Hobbit does not have inaccuracies, if anything it is more accurate that is should have been. I don't get why people get so put off by the changes and the additional plotlines. Its the Middle Earth not your avarage movie of the week. When i see LOTR or Hobbit i want to be fully immersed into this world for HOURS !!! it's a journey not your saturday night pop corn fest. F-purists. I am a huge fan of the books and I acted like a Twilight fangirl when the Necromancer showed up.
Same here, man. I could watch those movies forever. It really says something when you consider that the theatrical versions of each film clock in at three hours and yet so many people PREFER the extended versions of those movies.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #950
Victarion
Cut

I don't get the rabid hate either.

Closed Thread