The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which trailer was the best?
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 58 56.86%
X-men: Days of Future Past 20 19.61%
The Amazing Spider-man 2 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #51
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Which was the BEST trailer? Cap 2, DOFP or ASM2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Days of Future Past by a mile. The other two just look like any generic blockbuster trailer.
Agreed, I didnt dislike any of the trailers but the one for DOFP showed it will be more than just a normal action flick. Really set and good tone for the movie.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #52
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Agreed, I didnt dislike any of the trailers but the one for DOFP showed it will be more than just a normal action flick. Really set and good tone for the movie.
That's not exactly something that a trailer can show. I think we need to wait until it releases to conclude as much.

Visualiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #53
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I thought the DOFP one did though, there will be plenty of action in the movie I am sure, but its clear the story and characters are the focus from the trailer. To me anyway.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #54
jacobed
Banned User

Dofp definitely focused on character beats but I think that had more to do with effects not being done. There's a shot with Colossus running and Singer said doing a trailer commentary that the effects werent done so he will be metal in that shot. As for the topic. Xmen, Spiderman, Cap 2. I think they'll all be good next year though

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #55
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

both Days of Future Past and Winter Soldier really blown me away but DoFP gets my vote because the last scene: "Please, we need you to hope again."

That line was really a spot on for me...it makes Days of Future Past my most anticipated Marvel movies next year. (second goes to Winter Soldier)

as for A.Spider-Man 2 trailer, I also loved it...especially Dane Dehaan's Harry Osborn, although the battle scene between Spidey vs Electro looks like a video game

Now, waiting for Guardians'trailer
With Thor: the Dark World also on the way, so exciting for all Marvel movies next year

Last edited by Marvel_SKE; 12-20-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #56
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^I thought the DOFP one did though, there will be plenty of action in the movie I am sure, but its clear the story and characters are the focus from the trailer. To me anyway.
I can't agree with this. I've been disappointed in too many movies as far back as I can remember, no matter how much the trailers hooked me. MoS being the most recent example. I look at trailers the same way I look at turn signals - nice to look at; never trust them. Story and characters are the focus? That's what people said about XMO: Wolverine. The only "will be's" you can really conclude from a trailer is the cast and crew. This is coming from someone who has all the confidence in the world in Singer, btw, I just can't give the benefit of the doubt from a trailer. Every dog has his day.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #57
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

By far, Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That trailer is simply amazing! Next I would say X-Men Days of Future Past. It doesn't give you a lot I would agree, but it encourages me in regard to the character arcs of the film. TASM2 to me, looks ok. I wasn't wowed by the trailer. Honestly, I just am not into TASM series on a conceptual level, and they're not going to sway me on that.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #58
Frico
Detective

Definitely Cap 2. I love the look and feel of it plus it's one of my favorite Cap stories going from comic to big screen. So to see it come to life is going to be a great moment upon viewing it in the cinema. And the ending to the trailer was sick.

My problem with TASM2 is pretty much what most have said already. It looked too video gameish visually. Hopefully the final product is better but ATM it's not really on my radar.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #59
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

10>Cap
>>
>>ASM2
>>
>>
>>DoFP
>>
>>
>>
01>

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #60
Ajendo
Side-Kick

TASM2: really captured the essence of spider-man like no other spidey movie has before. That being said, this trailer trumps the other 2 with considerable ease, despite being very good themselves.

CATWS

DOFP

Tyrion: I wish to confess...
Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #61
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Days of Future Past was my favorite, it was filled with mystery and drama that is usually different for a comic book movie or blockbuster. It didn't give most of the plot away but it still creates intrigue and interest.

Winter Soldier is second place with a very good trailer and interesting story, seems like it might be a good blockbuster. Lots of action.

last place Amazing spider-man 2, just too much going on and the cg looks a bit over the top at certain times. Can't say I am a fan of how Electro looks in this movie.

Last edited by MarvelU; 12-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.
MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #62
thejon93
Forever Haunted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Days of Future Past IMO was the better trailer IMO, it was filled with mistery and drama that is usually different for a comic book movie or blockbuster. It didn't give most of the plot away but it still creates intrigue and interest.

Winter Soldier is second place with a good trailer and interesting story, seems like it might be a good blockbuster. Lots of action.

last place Amazing spider-man 2, just too much going on and the cg looks a bit over the top at certain times. Can't say I am a fan of how Electro looks in this movie.
I agree, but I'm a little hesitant with Captain America right now. Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3 were big-time disappointments for me, largely due to the amount of forced comedy in them. If I wanna watch a comedy, I'll go and watch a comedy. With these comic-book movies, just a bit of comedy's enough for me, Man of Steel has a couple of moments where there aren't big laughs but lighter moments that make you smirk and help create breathing room between the relentless action sequences, that works well-enough for me. This new Marvel formula they have, where every film must be 40-50% comedy, is absolutely irritating and pathetic filler meant simply to make the actors more of that money-money that they all love so much. Cut the comedy crap, give the action the better budget than the actors (because it's been proven that these franchises can last with or without big household names, much like how the Bond and Batman franchises have survived). We're not paying to see actors pretend to be comedians, we're paying to see actors pretend to be superheroes (which is comedic enough IMO).

thejon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #63
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejon93 View Post
I agree, but I'm a little hesitant with Captain America right now. Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3 were big-time disappointments for me, largely due to the amount of forced comedy in them. If I wanna watch a comedy, I'll go and watch a comedy. With these comic-book movies, just a bit of comedy's enough for me, Man of Steel has a couple of moments where there aren't big laughs but lighter moments that make you smirk and help create breathing room between the relentless action sequences, that works well-enough for me. This new Marvel formula they have, where every film must be 40-50% comedy, is absolutely irritating and pathetic filler meant simply to make the actors more of that money-money that they all love so much. Cut the comedy crap, give the action the better budget than the actors (because it's been proven that these franchises can last with or without big household names, much like how the Bond and Batman franchises have survived). We're not paying to see actors pretend to be comedians, we're paying to see actors pretend to be superheroes (which is comedic enough IMO).
I have a feeling this Captain America movie might be the most serious of all Marvel Studios movies. You got no Iron Man or Loki showing up which should ease up on the comedy, well hopefully it does. But yeah I totally understand were you are coming from. But since Marvel is keen on the formula you mentioned then you should still approach with caution.

Last edited by MarvelU; 12-26-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #64
PaulRom
Side-Kick

The Captain America trailer was the best in terms of getting me pumped. My top choice of the three. Shows that the stakes are high in the movie, and I love the grittier, political thriller-tone.

The other two are a bit of a tie, for me. I like how DOFP's trailer was more character-driven, as opposed to cramming in as many explosions as you can. However, Amazing Spider-Man 2's is still very entertaining, and I think the movie will finally deliver the definitive big screen version of Spidey (or at least something close).

PaulRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #65
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Man of Steel had almost zero comedy. It was the most po-faced comic book movie to date. The Dark Knight trilogy had more comedy than MoS.

While I would be fine with toning the comedy down a bit, I think treating men in spandex with all the seriousness of the English Patient is laughable.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative

Last edited by KangConquers; 12-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #66
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Man of Steel had almost zero comedy. It was the most po-faced comic book movie to date. The Dark Knight trilogy had more comedy than MoS.

While I would be fine with toning the comedy down a bit, I think treating men in spandex with all the seriousness of the English Patient is laughable.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

It just reeks of a fad to me. Whether dark, serious, light, or humorous, all that stuff is arbitrary and immaterial as far as criteria go; what we should be asking is how well those tones fit the material in the first place, not the other way around. People seem to believe that a particular mood is the ticket to quality, when that couldn't be further from the truth. What's really disturbing is that there have been quite a few mediocre movies that fit the grounded & gritty fad, and are largely given a free pass by the community. The last thing I want is to be part of something akin to the Twilight fan base, in that so long as a few cliche wickets are hit, all the other stuff that, you know...matters can just fall by the wayside.

This isn't to say that the darker approach can't work; there are plenty of examples where it does, but my point is that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and the continuing trend seems to be for the fan community to over-scrutinize everything that doesn't fit the 'dark & gritty' mold. Speaking of which, I also find it especially disturbing when people insinuate that a lighter film isn't mature, which again arbitrarily shoehorns movies into categories that are in no way accurate. There are two threads near the top of the page in the CA:TWS devoted to the idea alone; it's getting out of hand. I can easily imagine the sort of things people will say when GotG drops. Whether good or bad, the usual suspects will undoubtedly zero in on the humor and tone.

Last edited by Visualiza; 12-26-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #67
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Some good points, the type of material presented whether in the trailers or other stuff should determine whether it must include lots of comedy/humor or not. Perhaps it is best not to group all comic book movies together as having just one tone. Some will be more comedic than others and some less comedic than others. For example someone who expects Guardians of the Galaxy to be in the tone of The Dark Knight is going to be surprised when they are different in tone. It is up to the viewer to decide what they are in the mood for and not compare all comic book movies as the same.

Last edited by MarvelU; 12-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #68
Spider-Aziz
Supa-Pizza

The Amazing Spider-Man, by far
The International trailer is even better

Cap's trailer is fun too
The X-Men trailer looks beautiful

I am No. 14: Supa-Pizza
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I loved the Cap 2 trailer but can't help but feel that the actual movie will be full of cheap comedy that undermines the tone and drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Thats like a polar opposite though. There is a good middle-ground. Spider-Man 2 for example it had some clever and funny scenes but the humour was not overused, worked for the character, matched the tone and was paced to not go straight from 'make the audience care and feel sad' to 'make the audience laugh at this gag'.

It's finding the balance and doing it for the right story and character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

It just reeks of a fad to me. Whether dark, serious, light, or humorous, all that stuff is arbitrary and immaterial as far as criteria go; what we should be asking is how well those tones fit the material in the first place.
Agreed. Guardians is a kooky crazy comic so should have kooky crazy characters and a light tone.

Spider-Man makes wise cracks to lower his threat level to villians, so should have some comedy.

Batman occupies and darker vigilante tone and shouldn't have jokes at best just some moments of levity to break the tension.

The reason people are concerned over the comedy level in Cap 2 is that Phase 2 has been loaded with comedy, and imo has jumed the shark in a few instances.
It's a trend it seems, a trend people apparently don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Some good points, the type of material presented whether in the trailers or other stuff should determine whether it must include lots of comedy/humor or not. Perhaps it is best not to group all comic book movies together as having just one tone. Some will be more comedic than others and some less comedic than others. For example someone who expects Guardians of the Galaxy to be in the tone of The Dark Knight is going to be surprised when they are different in tone. It is up to the viewer to decide what they are in the mood for and not compare all comic book movies as the same.

That's why i'm an advocate for variety in superhero movie studios. Different people involded equals different tones across the board providing a little bit of everything

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 12-27-2013 at 05:04 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #70
TheSpectacular
Geronimo

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2- Showed some fantastic action and score.
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- Looks very cool. The first one was my favorite phase 1 film.

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past- If I already didn't tell myself I would see it, I would not be excited at all. Showboating Wolverine again. It doesn't help that I disliked Singer's other x-men films.

Robocop-6.5 Non-Stop-8.5 Need for Speed-4 Captain America:The Winter Soldier-10 The Amazing Spider-Man 2-10 Godzilla-7.5
X-Men: Days of Future Past- 8

Last edited by TheSpectacular; 01-01-2014 at 10:47 PM.
TheSpectacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #71
bluerayer
The Conqueror

Cap 2 trailer , loved Redford in it!

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=270244
bluerayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #72
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

While there were no money shots (other than the two Xaviers) or CGI moments in DOFP, it drew me in instantly with Patrick Stewart's narration, the appropriate use of the Kick-Ass music and just the images of seeing McAvoy's Xavier so distraught and Magneto and Mystique's younger selves warring. It sold me that it would be a sci-fi epic that involves time travel, historical fiction and a dystopian future. It was a superhero movie second.

That is why I preferred it.
This, this and some more of this.
When we were first getting set pics of ASM2, I couldn't be more excited. The trailer (and particularly how much they're giving away) now has me worried.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #73
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Still most excited for DOFP, but it had the weakest first trailer of the bunch for sure. CA had easily the best one; looks great. TASM2 I'm on the fence about, looks kinda neat, but I didn't like the first one.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #74
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

i'm surprised asm2 is getting the most attention seeign as how it was the least grossing major comic book film two years ago

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #75
roach
I am the night

What sold me on the DOFP trailer is that is was awesome without the money shots. ASM2 just didn't do anything for me.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote