The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #101
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheFlash View Post
Smart enough to get it? I've never seen anything from him? Im not saying theres nothing out there i just am having trouble finding info about him.
I've only read one or two, but I'm definitely going on some library trips to find the others.

They're fantasy stories, basically, with immortal figures posing as overlords of the supernatural.

Wikipedia's a good a place to start as any. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)

Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #102
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheFlash View Post
This might be a stupid question but can someone tell me a little bit about Morpheus/Sandman? I really can't find that much about him and i've never read a sandman comic but I kinda want to know a little bit about him to see if I'd like him.

Possibly his powers? I know he does something with dreams or something but I dont even know if he's a Hero, Villain, Neither? Who he works with or his enemies or something. Thanks a lot for anyone who does. Im not asking for a page just please like a little summary or something?
Morpheus (also known as Dream) is an immensely powerful being. He is one of The Endless, 7 primal embodiments of the core facets of life that have been in existence since the beginning of time, older than gods. The other 6 members of the Endless, Dream's brothers and sisters, are Destiny, Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction and Delirium. Each has their own realm, and their own specific function. Dream rules over the realm of dreams. Every sleeping person, animal, plant or alien being who dreams rents out real estate in his domain. He spends his time creating dream worlds for people to inhabit, and characters to inhabit their dreams and nightmares. Beyond literal dreams, Dream also holds sway over daydreams, and the inspiration to come from them. Much of history's great music and literature is a product of Dream. You can't really speak of Dream in terms of his powers as such, as they are so vast as to go beyond super strength or speed or whatever. He is functionally immortal, and can do pretty much whatever he wants to when at full power.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #103
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Just saw Don Jon – really good movie, with great directing. That he has acting talent I already knew. But JGL definitely has some directing talent too.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #104
Loki882
Side-Kick

I admit that when I picture actors who could play Morpheus, JGL is FAR from the top of the list. However, this does not necessarily mean that it would be a bad pic, as he is a great actor. And as for the whole "he's never directed anything like this before" thing, that's true for ALL directors at one point. There was a time when people weren't sure that Spielberg could direct a big-budget movie (look up some of the production history for Jaws and how Hellish it was, fascinating stuff). The same is true of Cameron, Peter Jackson, Christopher Nolan, etc. But they all got their shot and proved themselves.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #105
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I think the difference nowadays with fans is that they already have certain writers, directors and actors in their minds when it comes to adaptations compared to yesteryear, when you were basically told who was gonna be involved after the fact and that's all there was to it.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #106
ImTheFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Morpheus (also known as Dream) is an immensely powerful being. He is one of The Endless, 7 primal embodiments of the core facets of life that have been in existence since the beginning of time, older than gods. The other 6 members of the Endless, Dream's brothers and sisters, are Destiny, Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction and Delirium. Each has their own realm, and their own specific function. Dream rules over the realm of dreams. Every sleeping person, animal, plant or alien being who dreams rents out real estate in his domain. He spends his time creating dream worlds for people to inhabit, and characters to inhabit their dreams and nightmares. Beyond literal dreams, Dream also holds sway over daydreams, and the inspiration to come from them. Much of history's great music and literature is a product of Dream. You can't really speak of Dream in terms of his powers as such, as they are so vast as to go beyond super strength or speed or whatever. He is functionally immortal, and can do pretty much whatever he wants to when at full power.
Alright sweet, Thanks for the answer man!

ImTheFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #107
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Minor side story spoilers:

My favorite of Dream's abilities was when he just altered all of reality so that Humans are not the feline's slaves. Not, oh you are no longer their slave but BAM.... never were slaves to begin with.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #108
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
That information was available from the start. Consider reading before you go on yet another WB tirade.
Oh Oh....that poster JoeyJoJo GoonyGooGoo does often go on hating WB's/DC rants and tirades. That guy never seems happy with anything.

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #109
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Minor side story spoilers:

My favorite of Dream's abilities was when he just altered all of reality so that Humans are not the feline's slaves. Not, oh you are no longer their slave but BAM.... never were slaves to begin with.
Dang. I really need to reread the comics. I can hardly remember that.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #110
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

While i love the main story... the one shots were always awesome.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #111
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
How do you know what's better if you haven't seen either?
Because I can look at the properties, strengths, and limitations of each medium; the characteristics of the source material; and the track record of WB as a studio; and proceed to make educated guesses and predictions from that information?

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #112
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
bad news for sandman fans. a two-three hour adaptation won't do the source material justice at all and with Goyer writing it and Neil nowhere in sight this has desaster written all over it. Sadly. A Gaiman written miniseries for TV was all I asked for and even that WB again couldn't manage.
Talk about overreacting.

The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #113
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

It's hilarious how he makes it sound like WB specifically disregarded HIS ideas as a personal slight against him

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #114
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

It's better to hear JGL as producer. Hopefully he's a fan of the comic and will have a say in hiring the right guy. This series as a whole would work better as a tv series, except the budget would be outrageous and damn impossible to do.

I'd say adapt the first 8 issues. It'd make a good film on its own while still telling a great and wild story.

Doctor Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #115
HighFivingMF
Welp.

It's weird... It's like everyone forgets that sequels are a thing when it comes to adapting Sandman. A 2-hour movie can't fit everything... But a few can.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #116
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Yeah, I think they just want it done as some kind of ongoing thing or whatever.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #117
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Because I can look at the properties, strengths, and limitations of each medium; the characteristics of the source material; and the track record of WB as a studio; and proceed to make educated guesses and predictions from that information?

Oh my Zod. Why so negative....already?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #118
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
Talk about overreacting.
yes, please, talk about it

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #119
Pondslider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
yes, please, talk about it
Well apparently Goyer isn't writing it because the original article said that he was only producing and that they would be looking for a writer next. Will that change? Maybe, but with Goyer being involved in so many projects at DC it's doubtful that he'll be writing this by himself if at all. We also don't know the extent of Gaiman's involvement. It's going to be really hard to adapt Sandman and WB's track record isn't great. I'm not denying that. We don't know enough about it yet to say it can't possibly work.

Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #120
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
It's weird... It's like everyone forgets that sequels are a thing when it comes to adapting Sandman. A 2-hour movie can't fit everything... But a few can.
This.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #121
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Yeah completely agreed with this. Preludes and Nocturnes will be fine for a first movie. We don't need a tv series for a Sandman story. It's convenient that Sandman is already broken up into parts, they can easily just adapt each part into a movie, it can be an ongoing series. If LOTR works in film Sandman can too

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #122
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Oh my Zod. Why so negative....already?
Because I love Sandman. Its one of my favorite comic book series.

And I have close to zero faith in WB to do good adaptations. Until they prove that the Nolan Batman movies were anything but a fluke, I will continue to hope that the stuff I actually like doesn't get touched.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #123
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
Ah, not Goyer!

Why not let Gaiman script? As far as I'm concerned, nobody else has any business writing these characters anyway...
I'm all for this. He needs as much control over the art direction/feel of this movie as humanly possible.

Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #124
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Because I love Sandman. Its one of my favorite comic book series.

And I have close to zero faith in WB to do good adaptations. Until they prove that the Nolan Batman movies were anything but a fluke, I will continue to hope that the stuff I actually like doesn't get touched.

With talent like JGL, Gaiman and Goyer involved in a possible film series for Morpheus/Sadman movie, how can you be so negative though?

All the negativity is just going to cause you some serious anxiety (which you may already have) or cause something worse like high blood pressure, which can lead to a stroke or heart attack.

Take a chill pill and see how this all develops before having a meltdown.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #125
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
With talent like JGL, Gaiman and Goyer involved in a possible film series for Morpheus/Sadman movie, how can you be so negative though?
Talent like Goyer is a reason to be negative. But really WB doesn't have the greatest record with superhero/comic book properties. I have faith in this but its quite easy to understand why some wouldn't.