Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #51
Naji Assan
Banned User

Default Re: Hugh Jackman IS The Wolverine Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Meh, still looks ridiculous to me.
You must hate comics that feature Wolverine (he wears the costume in almost every issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The cowl is the problematic part. You could probably make the costume itself work, but that cowl has always looked dumb.
So the people at Marvel have been shoving a "dumb" concept down people's throats for 40 years?

The costume and cowl have always worked.

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #52
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
You must hate comics that feature Wolverine (he wears the costume in almost every issue).

So the people at Marvel have been shoving a "dumb" concept down people's throats for 40 years?

Naji, last time I checked, you were not appointed leader of all X-Men related opinions. Your method of talking down to people you don't agree with has gotten tiresome, and it needs to stop.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #53
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yup. Nailed it in one. Congratulations.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #54
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
The cowl is the problematic part. You could probably make the costume itself work, but that cowl has always looked dumb.
I don't care. I say embrace it and run with it.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #55
Loki882
Side-Kick

That's cool, I respect that. Personally, I couldn't care less if he has the costume or not as long as the character is cool. Like I've said before, his X-Force costume could look great.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

Comics and films are two different mediums.

The Wolverine helmet would look silly/cartoonish/uncessary in film.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #57
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Bingo. I love the comics and would like the movies to be as close aspossible but many things just don't adapt well, and other times work better than the comics when changed to fit the medium.

Some, often too many, in the CBM fan community have a skewed sense of how things work when it comes to adapting material for the screen.

Like the complaining because Wolverine isn't disembowling enemies on-screen, they fail to realise the market and demographic the movies are made for and the purpose the movies are made for.

All CBMs are made to make as much money as possible, having blood spew across the screen imposes a stricter rating and reduces the amount of people who can go to see it equalling less money, so it won't happen. Deal with it and enjoy whats on offer instead of complaining for what could've been.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #58
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post

The Wolverine helmet would look silly/cartoonish/uncessary in film.
The same was said about Captain America's entire costume, but here we are three films in.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #59
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Notice how they tweaked Cap's cowl for his first solo movie? It's not even a cowl, so much as a helmet.

And notice the acclaim that he got for his Avengers cowl is not as universal? His new costume in part 2 seems to also be missing a helmet/mask/cowl...hmmm I wonder why?

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #60
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Caps helmet is basically just a blue helmet with an A and chinstrap, not a helmet with big huge wing-like things sticking out of the face of it and no logical reason to be worn

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #61
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
And notice the acclaim that he got for his Avengers cowl is not as universal?
I read a lot of comments from people in the internet complaining about that.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #62
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Yea even I hated it. And I loved that movie.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #63
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Notice how they tweaked Cap's cowl for his first solo movie? It's not even a cowl, so much as a helmet.

And notice the acclaim that he got for his Avengers cowl is not as universal? His new costume in part 2 seems to also be missing a helmet/mask/cowl...hmmm I wonder why?
The WWII outfit is back in Captain America The Winter Soldier and he wears the cowl with the Agent Rogers suit.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #64
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
not a helmet with big huge wing-like things sticking out of the face of it and no logical reason to be worn
What was the logic for the "bat ears" on Batman's cowl? Or the cape Superman wears? Or the chainmail Thor wears?

What's the logic of watching comic book heroes on film when you hate their original looks so much?

This is like when people were saying Apocalypse should never be attempted in a movie because of how ridiculous he looks.

The characters have shined in their costumes for decades and don't require excessive tweaking to function in a film.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #65
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I will disagree with the idea of captain America.I am always supporter of anything 616 over ultimate.The outfit In first avenger that will be brought back
In WInter soldier is his Ultimates outfit.The one In the avengers was closer to
classic 616 outfit since they decered to treat classic 616 outfit as joke In
FIrst avenger.

Cap's outfit Is also much much a symbol.In X-Men colorful costumes don't really
matter as much since they aren't really trying to hide idenitys

Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #66
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
What was the logic for the "bat ears" on Batman's cowl? Or the cape Superman wears? Or the chainmail Thor wears?
Is this a serious question?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #67
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Is this a serious question?
Absolutely. The costume pieces brought up serve no purpose other than to properly translate the superhero's iconic look to film. Batman isn't trying to poke eyes out with the ears, Superman doesn't go any faster with the cape and Thor's chainmail is a wardrobe choice, doesn't really add anything during combat.

Those things just look cool because they've been looking cool on the page for decades.

Everyone wanted Cap in his Agent Rogers suit from the start to avoid the walking American flag, but the Marvel Studios guys knew better than to rob him of his true look.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #68
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

I think his black X Force suit would work better than any attempt at yellow and blue.

If Batman can pull it off I see no reason why Wolverine can't.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #69
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Absolutely. The costume pieces brought up serve no purpose other than to properly translate the superhero's iconic look to film. Batman isn't trying to poke eyes out with the ears, Superman doesn't go any faster with the cape and Thor's chainmail is a wardrobe choice, doesn't really add anything during combat.

Those things just look cool because they've been looking cool on the page for decades.

Everyone wanted Cap in his Agent Rogers suit from the start to avoid the walking American flag, but the Marvel Studios guys knew better than to rob him of his true look.
...no. Just no.

And if I'm right
Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #70
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:

What's the logic of watching comic book heroes on film when you hate their original looks so much?

This is like when people were saying Apocalypse should never be attempted in a movie because of how ridiculous he looks.

The characters have shined in their costumes for decades and don't require excessive tweaking to function in a film.
Batman wears "bat ears" as part of the whole Batman motif to frighten his enemies.
Thor wears chainmail because he's a warrior who's constantly going into battle with all kinds of enemies, so wearing armor makes sense.

Superman's cape is part of his whole "shining symbol of hope" schtick.

So, yes there are actual reasons for those looks, nice try.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #71
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
...no. Just no.
Great argument.

Quote:
Batman wears "bat ears" as part of the whole Batman motif to frighten his enemies.
Wolverine's cowl is part of his WOLVERINE motif.

Quote:
Thor wears chainmail because he's a warrior who's constantly going into battle with all kinds of enemies, so wearing armor makes sense.
He's also invulnerable to damage (like Wolverine) and doesn't need the chainmail. Just wears it here and there because its cool.

Quote:
Superman's cape is part of his whole "shining symbol of hope" schtick.
So a cape is a shining symbol of hope now? Nah. He wears it in the films because its part of his comics look.

Quote:
So, yes there are actual reasons for those looks, nice try.
There are also actual reasons for Wolverine's 40-year-costume.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #72
DocLathropBrown
Side-Kick

I'll re-post what I put in another thread on the subject:

Here's my problem(s) with the anti-Wolverine-costume-arguments.

1. People always jump to the idea that it'd look silly. Yeah, something like Wolverine's costume could look silly. But when it's designed by professionals and lit right, etc... it'd be perfect. They wouldn't go through with it unless they had a version of it that worked.

2. People cry about the yellow, and I grant you that yellow is a bit much. The brown makes more sense. But I figure that if he's just got blood all over his yellow duds because he's badass and sliced a lot of people up.... you're not gonna care what color it is.

3. People talk about the lack of identity on why he doesn't need the mask, and I have to disagree. He doesn't have a detailed civilian identity to protect, true, but in general, it's preferable not to be immediately recognized by cops and such when you're an outlaw vigilante. Ignore the inherent silliness that his hair would still give him away. If he's running around with a band of mutant outlaws, covering his face makes perfect sense. The movies have goofed it making that level of sense because he didn't do it from the beginning but a story reason can be invented easily. The only real goof is the REST of the X-Men not wearing masks.

4. It's his comic book look. He should have had it from the beginning anyway, reasoning be-damned. It's part of his iconography. Why does Magneto have a cape? That makes as little sense (actually less) than Wolverine having a mask. As I said, Wolvie having a mask can make him anonymous to law enforcement officials. Magneto doesn't use his cape to fly or anything like that. And yet he had his cape.

Indiana Jones
and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

DocLathropBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #73
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
4. It's his comic book look. He should have had it from the beginning anyway, reasoning be-damned. It's part of his iconography. Why does Magneto have a cape? That makes as little sense (actually less) than Wolverine having a mask. As I said, Wolvie having a mask can make him anonymous to law enforcement officials. Magneto doesn't use his cape to fly or anything like that. And yet he had his cape.
Magneto has a cape mostly because he's a character who flies. The cape helps with the illusion of flight. And Magneto obviously feels he's some kind of regal, entitled mutant, and a leader of others. The cape speaks to his personality in a sense.

Quote:
Great argument.
Wasn't an argument. It was my thoughts on yours.

Quote:

In both the comics and the movies, Batman wears the cowl to make himself look less human, to hide his identity and to intimidate, not only to help with the whole "Bat" motif, but since horns are culturally accepted as a supernatural/evil image. Batman's cowl also functions as a protective measure and an offensive weapon, and the ears, within the most recent film universe, are shown to hold communications/surveillance devices. In the comics, the cowl also contains night vision and infrared lenses, computer linkup, and various other gadgetry.

Superman wears the cape because it gives him a more regal, inspirational image (its often depicted as similar to angel wings), and a slightly more medieval look, which, at least in the films, connects him to his Kryptonian heritage. And visually, it looks fantastic in flight and more to the point, helps with the illusion of flight.

Thor wears chainmail because it helps depict him as a more involved and active warrior, and also hints at the quasi sci-fi/medieval/mythological nature of his heritage. The cape is there for similar reasons to Superman, Storm, and Magneto. The regal nature of the character, etc.

I don't remember the majority of fans wanting Captain America in his Agent Rogers suit. That's just absurd.

Wolverine doesn't need to hide his identity, at least in the movies. Wolverine's mask looks nothing like the wolverine animal, so that's not really a good reason. Yellow isn't likely to intimidate. Wolverine doesn't fly, so he doesn't need his costume to assist with the illusion of it. And as far as I know, he doesn't need giant ears/horns full of surveillance equipment, especially since he has enhanced senses.

So what are the actual reasons for Wolverine's classic costume?

I get Wolverine HAVING a costume, as it identifies him as part of the X-Men. But there's no reason it HAS to be yellow and blue, or feature a mask, other than it always has been. Of course, even that isn't accurate. He's also worn orange, brown, black, gray, and a cowboy hat and leather jacket or Japanese clothing over the years.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 12-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #74
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Magneto has a cape mostly because he's a character who flies. The cape helps with the illusion of flight. And Magneto obviously feels he's some kind of regal, entitled mutant, and a leader of others. The cape speaks to his personality in a sense.

Wasn't an argument. It was my thoughts on yours.

In both the comics and the movies, Batman wears the cowl to make himself look less human, to hide his identity and to intimidate, not only to help with the whole "Bat" motif, but since horns are culturally accepted as a supernatural/evil image. Batman's cowl also functions as a protective measure and an offensive weapon, and the ears, within the most recent film universe, are shown to hold communications/surveillance devices. In the comics, the cowl also contains night vision and infrared lenses, computer linkup, and various other gadgetry.

Superman wears the cape because it gives him a more regal, inspirational image (its often depicted as similar to angel wings), and a slightly more medieval look, which, at least in the films, connects him to his Kryptonian heritage. And visually, it looks fantastic in flight and more to the point, helps with the illusion of flight.

Thor wears chainmail because it helps depict him as a more involved and active warrior, and also hints at the quasi sci-fi/medieval/mythological nature of his heritage. The cape is there for similar reasons to Superman, Storm, and Magneto. The regal nature of the character, etc.

I don't remember the majority of fans wanting Captain America in his Agent Rogers suit. That's just absurd.

Wolverine doesn't need to hide his identity, at least in the movies. Wolverine's mask looks nothing like the wolverine animal, so that's not really a good reason. Yellow isn't likely to intimidate. Wolverine doesn't fly, so he doesn't need his costume to assist with the illusion of it. And as far as I know, he doesn't need giant ears/horns full of surveillance equipment, especially since he has enhanced senses.

So what are the actual reasons for Wolverine's classic costume?

I get Wolverine HAVING a costume, as it identifies him as part of the X-Men. But there's no reason it HAS to be yellow and blue, or feature a mask, other than it always has been. Of course, even that isn't accurate. He's also worn orange, brown, black, gray, and a cowboy hat and leather jacket or Japanese clothing over the years.
Someone that I know described Wolverine's cowl as looking like a "poorly cut out Mickey Mouse mask." I found that amusing.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
It wasn't the majority of fans, just people who thought it would look ridiculous in live-action, similar to the people who feel the same about Wolverine's costume.

Quote:
He had the yellow and blue before the X-Men, he wore it for Department H. And six years later, when they switched it to orange and brown, fans sent thousands of letters to Marvel requesting the yellow and blue be brought back. Eight years after that, the same thing happened again when they replaced the orange and brown for an all black suit and fans once more wrote thousands of letters requesting he return to his costume be it yellow and blue or orange and brown. This time Marvel complied since it was the character's first solo run and in issue #14 he got his orange and brown costume back. Five years later after more complaining from readers he got the yellow and blue back.

So for 40 years fans have loved him in his classic suit. They've tolerated variations but have always preferred seeing him in his true costume. We're going through the same thing in films now. 14 years and no costume but fans are still hoping they'll give it to him.