The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

View Poll Results: Do you accept the theory of evolution?
Yes (Post your reasons below) 144 80.00%
No (Post your reasons below) 33 18.33%
Not sure 3 1.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #776
KevanG
Brony
 
KevanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 16,253
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Not according to some people.

I'm too out of it to explain it. Scroll back a bit and there'll be more than enough explanations to go around.

__________________
It's time to make yourself proud and everybody else a little nervous.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #777
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,234
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Isn't evolution a fact and not a theory?
There are two uses for the word "theory" in science. One you already know. The other means "explanation".

"Explanation of Evolution".

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #778
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,115
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Isn't evolution a fact and not a theory?
It's both.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #779
KevanG
Brony
 
KevanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 16,253
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

DUNDUNDUUUUN!!!

Take that science.

__________________
It's time to make yourself proud and everybody else a little nervous.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #780
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,764
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Isn't evolution a fact and not a theory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
It's both.
It has to do with the word “evolution” being used in two senses. The evidence (especially fossil evidence) shows that evolution as a phenomenon (biodiversity and complexity over geological time) has occurred - it is a fact. Separately, evolution (short for: the theory of evolution by natural selection) is the scientific model used to explain how the phenomenon occurred.

Dr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #781
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,963
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

The reason it's not called fact is more or less to save face. You never know what advances in science will hold and no one wants to be the person made fun of for believing things proven different 2000 years from now.

So they call science fact "theory" cause nothing is ever really 100% knowable.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #782
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,565
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

That's not true at all. Theories are based on facts, 100% true 100% of the time. The theory itself is merely the vehicle that explains this fact, there is a rigid definition of theory and what is applicable as such. The theory can only ever be an explanation.

For an analogy, if you are on a jury for a murder trial there is the simple fact that someone died. However the evidence forms the explanation as to how it happened, even with a recording of the murder, the jury still forms a theory.

Also, there are things that are 100% knowable, these are delegated as laws because they apply everywhere in the universe, such as the Second Law of thermodynamics, which in an abridged version dictates all energy from order to disorder.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #783
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,963
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Until it's dis-proven. There is always a chance of that.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #784
Teelie
Mostly Harmless
 
Teelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,011
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

If evolution were made into a law we'd have to arrest a few people for breaking it.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #785
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,565
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Until it's dis-proven. There is always a chance of that.
If you're talking about evolution, evolution itself isn't ever likely to be disproven (it would require something monumental like every species that ever existed on Earth was stolen and brought to Earth).

What's more likely is the vehicles regarding evolution will be amended and improved, which has happened in the past, and actually makes the theory stronger.

If you're talking about laws Scientific laws are not wrong, they are a distillation of facts into a sentence, it's basically just saying "x happens". If a scientific law were shown to be wrong. The universe would not exist.

For example, if the laws of gravity changed (ie mass attracts mass was false): All structure in the universe would fall apart.

If the second law of thermodynamics was wrong that would have catastrophic implications on the universe with entropy and the arrow of time no longer existing and potentially introduce a new dimension to the universe where you could travel "sideways" in time.

They may just not always be applicable, or work better with future developments. Like Newton's Law of Gravitation.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #786
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,115
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

EDIT: Nevermind, that might be too pedantic.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #787
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,820
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Until it's dis-proven. There is always a chance of that.
Not really. Evolution will be fine tuned, but not disproven.

Or, as Shepherd put it, much more eloquently.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #788
Mondragon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,859
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

If you followed the search for and discovery of Tiktaalik, read Shubin's Inner Fish, etc..., you might enjoy the new series.

Now Playing: Episode 1: Your Inner Fish - http://www.pbs.org/your-inner-fish/watch/


Last edited by Mondragon; 04-14-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #789
Mondragon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,859
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Part 2 on tonight Wednesday April 16 at 10/9c- http://www.thirteen.org/programs/you...ptile--preview

Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.