The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #76
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 3

I love Hemsworth's performance as Thor (particularly in the 2011 film) and I love Cavill as Superman. I can like two things at the same time. I do think Hemsworth is the better actor so far but I like Cavill.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #77
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I think Hemsorth was VERY good in Thor. He made a grand debut in a leading role, gave a manly performance and in general screamed "I am leading man material, cast me in your films".

I think Cavill has not quite done that with MOS. The reason is there was nothing to play on paper, a very banal trivial arc, going from morose depressed to well.... morose depressed so it seems.

Thor simply gave Hemsworth a showcase, to display his talents in all arenas - he got heavy emotional scenes, he got charming romantic scenes, he got swaggering alpha male bravado scenes, he got comedic scenes, he got dramatic confrontational scenes and of course ball busting action scenes.

I feel Cavill got very limited material to work with in comparison.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #78
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Cavill is never going to play Reeve's Superman no matter how much people want him to.

Also the costume designer said tweaks, not major changes. They always make tweaks in sequels.
It's kind of sad how much some want him to, especially in light of Routh's prior attempt to do just that under the infamously misguided tutelage of Singer.

Batman #681
Grant Morrison
Old 12-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #79
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I like different versions of Superman. If you want Reeve's Superman, watch his version of the character, if you want the Paul Dini/Bruce Timm/Daily/Newbern version watch the various animated series he's appeared in and if you want the Cavill version watch Man of Steel. It's simple really.

Hell if you want a more grounded mopey version of Reeve's Superman watch Superman Returns.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, if one doesn't like the Cavill version than you don't. Your opinion isn't wrong or right.

I think it's interesting to bring up Hemsworth as Thor because frustratingly to me he has been side lined in The Avengers and in his own sequel. He hasn't been quite as good as he was in that 2011 film and that annoys me and I don't believe it's his fault. Anyway Thor and Supes are two completely different characters. For the record, I like Man of Steel better than all the films Thor has appeared in. His actual films never live up to Hemsworth performance IMHO.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 12-26-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #80
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
I like different versions of Superman. If you want Reeve's Superman, watch his version of the character, if you want the Paul Dini/Bruce Timm/Daily/Newbern version watch the various animated series he's appeared in and if you want the Cavill version watch Man of Steel. It's simple really.

Hell if you want a more grounded mopey version of Reeve's Superman watch Superman Returns.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, if don't like the Cavill version than you don't. Your opinion isn't wrong or right.
That's a good perspective to have. I think some fans get worried that they won't see another live-action interpretation of Superman on the big screen anytime soon following Snyder and Cavill's take on the character; so -- to quote James Tucker -- "they put on him their own aspirations and wishes", and feel slighted if things don't turn out exactly how they envisioned.

Batman #681
Grant Morrison
Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #81
lc23
Fan of Steel

If someone has a problem with Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman's characterization in Man of Steel, it's not Henry Cavill who's at fault for that. Henry did an excellent job with the material he was provided. Is he the best actor ever? No, but I think he's pretty good and has the potential to be even better with more work and experience with better material. I think STARMAN hit the nail right on the head in that people confuse flamboyancy for charisma. I don't understand the need for Henry's real personality to come through seeing as he's playing Superman onscreen, not himself (you know, the whole point of acting). If you want more RDJ-style hammy, scenery-chewing, watch that, rather than unfairly expecting it from other actors who are actually trying to act.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #82
vantheman77
Side-Kick

I hope they have Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, and Gal Gadot train together to become the iconic trinity.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #83
Loki882
Side-Kick

Given Gadot's comments about training in various combat styles, the chances of WW fighting are looking better and better. I wouldn't mind seeing a scene of Superman and WW duking it out with each other, and then teaming up to kick the bad guy's ass.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #84
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love Hemsworth's performance as Thor (particularly in the 2011 film) and I love Cavill as Superman. I can like two things at the same time. I do think Hemsworth is the better actor so far but I like Cavill.
Hemsworth also has a bit more experience than Cavill. I want to see Henry's performance in this upcoming movie before I really try and compare the two.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #85
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
If someone has a problem with Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman's characterization in Man of Steel, it's not Henry Cavill who's at fault for that. Henry did an excellent job with the material he was provided. Is he the best actor ever? No, but I think he's pretty good and has the potential to be even better with more work and experience with better material. I think STARMAN hit the nail right on the head in that people confuse flamboyancy for charisma. I don't understand the need for Henry's real personality to come through seeing as he's playing Superman onscreen, not himself (you know, the whole point of acting). If you want more RDJ-style hammy, scenery-chewing, watch that, rather than unfairly expecting it from other actors who are actually trying to act.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I feel like this is one of the moments in the script that allowed for Henry to really become Superman. His serious, but reserved and thoughtful qualities are brought to life, and I think Henry's mannerisms were spot on.

I thought Routh was robbed for SR, and I think Cavill was more than robbed. He had the potential to the BEST Superman torn away by a flawed screenwriter and a director who didn't care enough to have someone fix it, or didn't see anything wrong with it. (For MOS, anyway)

Old 12-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #86
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I'm really hoping that the dialogue is improved to show more of Superman's charisma. Lots of folks seem to think he's just a stick in the mud and they write him that way. Yeah...he's naïve, but he has a sense of humor. I'd like to see that more...along with him actually talking more naturally.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-26-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #87
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Yeah Superman is supposed to be a bit "simple" but I think Evans as Captain America plays a similar boyscout character so well. He's also a very very very nice guy, but also strong and noble and can be disarmingly funny and candid at times. I think that's the way to play a very good guy. You don't need to be depressed if you are playing a goody two shoes guy.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #88
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I feel like this is one of the moments in the script that allowed for Henry to really become Superman. His serious, but reserved and thoughtful qualities are brought to life, and I think Henry's mannerisms were spot on.

I thought Routh was robbed for SR, and I think Cavill was more than robbed. He had the potential to the BEST Superman torn away by a flawed screenwriter and a director who didn't care enough to have someone fix it, or didn't see anything wrong with it. (For MOS, anyway)
This is a good example of Cavill being charismatic the Superman way, not the RDJ way that people seem to want all actors to adapt in order to be labelled "charismatic."

Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #89
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think some people don't just like the more serious nature of modern age Superman, and I also think that others just want a Marvel Studios film made by DC.

And still others think MOS was somewhat clumsily directed and awkwardly written.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #90
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
^ I think some people don't just like the more serious nature of modern age Superman, and I also think that others just want a Marvel Studios film made by DC.

And still others think MOS was somewhat clumsily directed and awkwardly written.
All 3 are true. The first one is related to people expecting a Reeve-style performance because some people have decided that's what Superman is, despite the fact that there are many interpretations of the character. The second is what people always deny, but to be honest, I think there are a good number of people that want that. Of course, they won't come out and say that, but rather hint about it in roundabout ways. The third is fair enough, but seems misplaced. The actors did their best with what they got. Blame the right people for this issue.

I've heard these kinds of things outside the hype too.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #91
charl_huntress

I think where Cavill may have a chance to shine is if he and Bruce/Bats have a nice little verbal exchange. I'd like to see that and for once this is one area where I know Affleck will come in handy.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #92
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think with a good writer any problems with the pacing will be more understated, and I think the tone would be better. Other than the use of ugly color filtering, I felt like Zack's visuals were more a celebration of the traditionalism and mythos of Superman, while the writing was more of a deconstruction and a desperate attempt to break away from anything conventional.

So yeah, I think Snyder could have delivered a really strong Superman film, with a better writer involved.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #93
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Primary difference being that Henry Cavill is a more than competent film actor (rather than side character in a soap opera/sitcom level), despite others' tendencies to underrate his capabilities. Because he's nowhere near DDL level of talent, his looks do him no favor in getting people to take him very seriously. His choices in projects don't really help, either.

Last edited by lc23; 12-26-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #94
Loki882
Side-Kick

Also, Henry Cavill had the physical appearance and charisma to play Superman. Routh, who I've liked in other roles, just didn't. The fact that the script gave him VERY little dialogue didn't help matters.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #95
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Yeah Superman is supposed to be a bit "simple" but I think Evans as Captain America plays a similar boyscout character so well. He's also a very very very nice guy, but also strong and noble and can be disarmingly funny and candid at times. I think that's the way to play a very good guy. You don't need to be depressed if you are playing a goody two shoes guy.
I found Evans Captain America goofy in some parts. specially in the Avengers. That's not charisma. Sorry.

Last edited by John-An; 12-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #96
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I'm really hoping that the dialogue is improved to show more of Superman's charisma. Lots of folks seem to think he's just a stick in the mud and they write him that way. Yeah...he's naïve, but he has a sense of humor. I'd like to see that more...along with him actually talking more naturally.
He's going to need it if he's going to be onscreen with Batman.

The Filmmakers should be trying to make Superman as compelling as possible. People should be leaving the theatre believing that Superman is just as awesome as Batman.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #97
charl_huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
He's going to need it if he's going to be onscreen with Batman.

The Filmmakers should be trying to make Superman as compelling as possible. People should be leaving the theatre believing that Superman is just as awesome as Batman.
I am praying for this...truly I am. However, history is not on Superman's side when it comes to outshining Batman. The only glimmer of hope I have is that Goyer and Snyder have both said they will not do this.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #98
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I think Snyder definitely cares about the character. I would like to see Superman come out of this flick with a newfound popularity. I'm a Batman fan, but right now, Batman is the only DC character people care about and its getting tired.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #99
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I think Snyder definitely cares about the character. I would like to see Superman come out of this flick with a newfound popularity. I'm a Batman fan, but right now, Batman is the only DC character people care about and its getting tired.

I concur, The Batman. I will die a little if Snyder just forgets Supes and focuses on Bats. It's time for people to see Superman is an interesting character. He just needs some good writing.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #100
charl_huntress

Quote:
Agreed. Plus MOS was a good set up for a viable DC movie-verse. I hope they don't squander it.

Closed Thread