The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 9

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

My gut feeling is that is what they are going for. It would create a strong emotional tie between the characters, and give both of them character arcs that are intertwined.

I've got to go for now, but the conversation was fun.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.

Last edited by ThePhantasm; 12-26-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Yeah, they constantly teach each other stuff... being opposites in so many ways they learn a lot from each other. It is why I'm happy they are doing a Batman / Superman film before Justice League... their complex relationship is the heart of the League and it deserves some special care to get it right. (At least I'm hoping this is a Batman / Superman movie and not a Justice League movie...!)
Ditto. I was disappointed at first when this movie was announced because I wanted a Supes sequel. But then I got to thinking about what Batman's inclusion really means. And if done well, it could be such a complex and moving exploration of these characters and how they interact.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 11

I think we could get something like, especially since Terrio is on board to revise the script and he did an excellent job of tightly interlocking characters in that film.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I feel more optimistic about it too now that he's on board. This could be really ****ing good.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Agreed. Bring in JP and BOOM.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
MrsKent26
Whatever.

That's a BEST MOVIE EVER recipe right there.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Agreed. Bring in JP and BOOM.
Why would they cast a pair of Hype posters in this movie? I mean, they're cool guys, but how do we even know they can act?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

I think Affleck knows that people expect him to hog up the spotlight as batman, but he's a comic fan and he understands this is a supes sequel first and foremost.

and with him and Terrio involved with the script, I'm confident that this is gonna be the best DC movie yet. Call me crazy if you want to, but I truly believe it has a chance to be better than TDK.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
DACrowe
Side-Kick

The Phantasm wrote:

Quote:
I don't mean a slobbering lunatic, I mean broken more along the lines of what Keaton was than Bale.

Ultimately the no-kill rule doesn't make sense. You'd have to kill the Joker to stop him from killing others. He keeps breaking out of Arkham, there's no way he is going to ever reform. The most sensible and pragmatic thing to do would be to end him, like Supes ended Zod (and Supes had better upbringing than Bruce!). But if you are psychologically broken so that you can't even pick up a gun and point it at someone because of your trauma, so that you can't even consider killing someone because of your horror at what you'd see yourself becoming, then it makes sense.

We are talking about a guy psychologically broken enough to dress as a bat, study the sciences, bring his body to peak condition, and enlist teenagers as his side-kicks. Of course he's still heroic. I'm not talking All-Star Batman insane. I'm just saying deep down that trauma fundamentally altered how he thinks of the world so that killing someone willfully would basically break his sanity.
I actually think this is a big part of the appeal for many viewers of TDK. Until that film, I doubt much of the GA was aware of his "one rule" and while he doesn't take it to the extremes of how Frank Miller's Batman will do it or how he will save the Joker in Arkham Origins, the fact that he would rather crash than run over the Joker as he guns down citizens, and then later saves Joker from death baffles fans. Nolan's Batman is very much a victim of his psychological need to save everyone...resulting in him finally being forced to confront that issue in an unwinnable situation when he must choose between letting Two-Face kill Jim Gordon's son, or kill Harvey Dent.

However, if you want something a little darker and more violent with a practiced ambivalence, I could see that working. It would certainly be par for the course with Snyder at the helm.

--John Adams
Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
I think Affleck knows that people expect him to hog up the spotlight as batman, but he's a comic fan and he understands this is a supes sequel first and foremost.

and with him and Terrio involved with the script, I'm confident that this is gonna be the best DC movie yet. Call me crazy if you want to, but I truly believe it has a chance to be better than TDK.

Yeah, I agree. Aside from JL, this is the DC movie I've been waiting on for a long time.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Why would they cast a pair of Hype posters in this movie? I mean, they're cool guys, but how do we even know they can act?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but since this was slightly brought up a few posts ago in this thread, I wanted to get everyone else's thoughts on this as well....

On a realistic level, how many of Batman's villains would you guys say would be qualified and more than likely to be given the death penalty IF the rules of the real world actually applied to Gotham when it came to their court system. And if so, which villains in particular?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
slumcat
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Ben Affleck yet again listed for the Razzies this year for his performance in Runner Runner. This would be his 9th nomination!

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=470875

Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct...unner-20131004

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...scenes-2013410
Funny, because Affleck's performance is pretty much the only thing people seem to like about that film

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews...ew-1200665983/

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/x5116...othing-else-is

Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
slumcat

Well the Razzie voters clearly thought differently.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Ben Affleck yet again listed for the Razzies this year for his performance in Runner Runner. This would be his 9th nomination!

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=470875
like the a previous poster mentioned, Affleck was the most redeemable quality about that movie, that performance further sold me on him being a kickass bruce wayne.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Damn, NINE razzie noms? I wonder what the record is for an actor or actress.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
On a realistic level, how many of Batman's villains would you guys say would be qualified and more than likely to be given the death penalty IF the rules of the real world actually applied to Gotham when it came to their court system. And if so, which villains in particular?
Killer Croc, Black Mask, Ra's Al Ghul and The Joker.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
slumcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
like the a previous poster mentioned, Affleck was the most redeemable quality about that movie, that performance further sold me on him being a kickass bruce wayne.
I can't believe that Affleck and Arterton get nominates yet somehow Timberlake escapes!

Vulture actually did an article saying that Runner Runner was the final straw and that Timberlake should quit acting for good. And yet he's not listed here!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think Timberlake kind of sucks as an actor. I even felt he gave an overly showy performance in The Social Network, which is supposedly his most acclaimed work. It just felt kind of like stunt casting to me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
I can't believe that Affleck and Arterton get nominates yet somehow Timberlake escapes!

Vulture actually did an article saying that Runner Runner was the final straw and that Timberlake should quit acting for good. And yet he's not listed here!
it makes sense considering how the anti-affleck movement has been going strong for more than a decade now, and Timberlake has escaped any criticism that deserves to go his way.

I'm really hoping he knocks it out of the park in BvS, he is the RDJ of the DC Universe now.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
The Phantasm wrote:

I actually think this is a big part of the appeal for many viewers of TDK. Until that film, I doubt much of the GA was aware of his "one rule" and while he doesn't take it to the extremes of how Frank Miller's Batman will do it or how he will save the Joker in Arkham Origins, the fact that he would rather crash than run over the Joker as he guns down citizens, and then later saves Joker from death baffles fans. Nolan's Batman is very much a victim of his psychological need to save everyone...resulting in him finally being forced to confront that issue in an unwinnable situation when he must choose between letting Two-Face kill Jim Gordon's son, or kill Harvey Dent.
Nonsense. I've said it a zillion times, and people seem to just ignore it...

Bruce Wayne kills a huge number of people in Batman Begins. The "I don't have to save you" logic doesn't hold up when you directly cause the situation from which a person needs saving. In court, Batman would be charged with murduring Ra's, even if it wasn't first degree.

But forget Ra's... He exploads the League of Shadows! He commits arson resulting in the death of untold scores of people- from nameless ninjas to the fake Ra's, to the criminal they asked him to behead (worst of all).

He kills Talia. It may not be murder, but he fires the shots that directly cause her to die from a broken neck.

Batman's kill count in TDKT is probably somewhere between 5 and 50, depending on how many LoS ninjas died in the explosion.

It's possible that this thematic hypocrisy is intentional commentary on how Wayne is capable of justifying things through mental gymnastics, but I think it's more than likely an example of lazy, hollow writing.

Lots to like about TDKT but it is thematically bankrupt, and is less realistic than the 89 Batman by far.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Let's see.

TDK trilogy deathcount..by Bruce.

1.The league of Shadows explosion (fake ra's DEFINITELY dies, and Ducard has a MUCH smaller army when the LOS returns.) That's over 1.

2. Ra's is left in a train to die. At least two, so far.

3. The truck driver probably bought the farm.

4. Even assuming he didn't, Two face had to die. 3-4

5. He totally cause Talia to wreck her vehicle and die. 1.

Okay, so about five deaths (four of the truck driver survived), with the final film having the lowest body count. Not counting all the people who were lost in the fire. That would probably put the tally over ten-from someone whose no-kill code is stated repeatedly throughout the course of a trilogy.

Closed Thread