The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think Timberlake kind of sucks as an actor. I even felt he gave an overly showy performance in The Social Network, which is supposedly his most acclaimed work. It just felt kind of like stunt casting to me.
I found him extremely annoying in TSN, both his character and his performance.

I think it was totally stunt casting. I think Fincher likes to do that. Casting Razzie legends Ben Affleck and Tyler Perry in lead roles in his next film also reeks of stunt casting to me. I mean seriously, he could do no better than that?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
it makes sense considering how the anti-affleck movement has been going strong for more than a decade nowUniverse now.
Well he WAS terrible in that decade wasn't he? I think Affleck's Worst Actor of the decade Razzie nomination for 2000-2009 was not misplaced.
Quote:
I'm really hoping he knocks it out of the park in BvS, he is the RDJ of the DC Universe now.
I think RDJ is in a different universe than Affleck. He's a million times the actor that Affleck is. I don't think the two can really be compared.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Damn, NINE razzie noms? I wonder what the record is for an actor or actress.
Affleck doesn't have the record. Yet.

The record is currently held by Stallone with 30 nominations.
http://news.moviefone.com/2010/02/03...s-of-all-time/

Affleck does make their list though as one of the most nominated actors.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Chip Chipperson
Man of Murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Well he WAS terrible in that decade wasn't he? I think Affleck's Worst Actor of the decade Razzie nomination for 2000-2009 was not misplaced.

I think RDJ is in a different universe than Affleck. He's a million times the actor that Affleck is. I don't think the two can really be compared.
Wasn't comparing their skills, just saying he's the big name that was brought in to create a buzz

Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Wasn't comparing their skills, just saying he's the big name that was brought in to create a buzz
Even on that level there is no comparison. Affleck is NOT a box office draw. He actually tanked one superhero film.

Downey meanwhile has led his last 6 films to atleast 100 million domestic and much much more worldwide.

So even in the sense of box office power and popularity, the two are not in the same universe.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
Nonsense. I've said it a zillion times, and people seem to just ignore it...

Bruce Wayne kills a huge number of people in Batman Begins. The "I don't have to save you" logic doesn't hold up when you directly cause the situation from which a person needs saving. In court, Batman would be charged with murduring Ra's, even if it wasn't first degree.

But forget Ra's... He exploads the League of Shadows! He commits arson resulting in the death of untold scores of people- from nameless ninjas to the fake Ra's, to the criminal they asked him to behead (worst of all).

He kills Talia. It may not be murder, but he fires the shots that directly cause her to die from a broken neck.

Batman's kill count in TDKT is probably somewhere between 5 and 50, depending on how many LoS ninjas died in the explosion.

It's possible that this thematic hypocrisy is intentional commentary on how Wayne is capable of justifying things through mental gymnastics, but I think it's more than likely an example of lazy, hollow writing.

Lots to like about TDKT but it is thematically bankrupt, and is less realistic than the 89 Batman by far.
He says in BB "I'm not an executioner", not "I don't kill". That doesn't mean that he doesn't kill. It means he doesn't deliberately kill. There's a difference in that. Deaths come from collateral damage. It's unavoidable, but he won't deliberately slash someone's neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #32
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even on that level there is no comparison. Affleck is NOT a box office draw. He actually tanked one superhero film.

Downey meanwhile has led his last 6 films to atleast 100 million domestic and much much more worldwide.

So even in the sense of box office power and popularity, the two are not in the same universe.
Yes... starting with Iron Man he has had many 100 million grossers. That is the point of comparison, Downey entering that franchise (43 at release) when he did and Affleck entering this franchise (42 at release). Before Iron Man, Downey Jr. had exactly zero 100 million dollar grossers. Before this Man of Steel sequel, Affleck will have had at least 7, including Daredevil, which made more than twice its budget worldwide.

Buzz (good or bad) is not necessarily box office, but Affleck's casting has generated more buzz than any other casting in recent memory.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #33
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
Yes... starting with Iron Man he has had many 100 million grossers. That is the point of comparison, Downey entering that franchise (43 at release) when he did and Affleck entering this franchise (42 at release). Before Iron Man, Downey Jr. had exactly zero 100 million dollar grossers. Before this Man of Steel sequel, Affleck will have had at least 7, including Daredevil, which made more than twice its budget worldwide.

Buzz (good or bad) is not necessarily box office, but Affleck's casting has generated more buzz than any other casting in recent memory.
I think its absurd to think that just because RDJ is a huge star, Affleck will invariably become one.

And if Affleck's casting generated a lot of buzz online, I would say most of it (save SHH) was excessively negative, on an unprecedented scale.

The point is, at this point, he is not comparable to RDJ in terms of box office clout.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #34
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think its absurd to think that just because RDJ is a huge star, Affleck will invariably become one.

And if Affleck's casting generated a lot of buzz online, I would say most of it (save SHH) was excessively negative, on an unprecedented scale.

The point is, at this point, he is not comparable to RDJ in terms of box office clout.
No one said he would invariably become a huge star. The statement was, in reference to the RDJ/Affleck comparison, "just saying he's the big name that was brought in to create a buzz", like Marvel brought in a big name like RDJ in 2008. Buzz, good or bad, he has generated. And by quantifiable box office results, Affleck is a bigger name now than RDJ was when Marvel brought him in. That's it.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #35
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

The interesting thing is if Affleck does kill it as Batman like RDJ did with IM then that is the comparison that will be made. That's just how the media likes to work.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

(Peeks head into thread, sees slumcat is still overblowing Ben Affleck's shortcomings and downplaying his accomplishments, leaves.)

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
The interesting thing is if Affleck does kill it as Batman like RDJ did with IM then that is the comparison that will be made. That's just how the media likes to work.
RDJ's success is the upside for Affleck. There's virtually no risk. If he fails miserably, he's a director of Oscar winning/nominated movies and a guy that directors like Fincher and Malick want in their movies. If it works, he is those things, hitched to one of the most globally recognized icons and re-introduced to audiences under the age of 15/16 who aren't really familiar with his career.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #38
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
RDJ's success is the upside for Affleck. There's virtually no risk. If he fails miserably, he's a director of Oscar winning/nominated movies and a guy that directors like Fincher and Malick want in their movies. If it works, he is those things, hitched to one of the most globally recognized icons and re-introduced to audiences under the age of 15/16 who aren't really familiar with his career.
Very true and great points! There is a tremendous upside for Affleck. Though I do think there is also a downside too. DD and Gigli will be rehashed and his rep as an actor will take a hit if he has another critical bomb. He'll still have fame as a director, but people tend to remember failures more than successes most times.

I truly hope Affleck does well. I am skeptical, but he could totally kill it as Batman, and then all the naysayers will have to eat their words. Yet...that will be impossible because someone will repost those words for all the Hype to see.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #39
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
(Peeks head into thread, sees slumcat is still overblowing Ben Affleck's shortcomings and downplaying his accomplishments, leaves.)
Same here.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #40
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Very true and great points! There is a tremendous upside for Affleck. Though I do think there is also a downside too. DD and Gigli will be rehashed and his rep as an actor will take a hit if he has another critical bomb. He'll still have fame as a director, but people tend to remember failures more than successes most times.

I truly hope Affleck does well. I am skeptical, but he could totally kill it as Batman, and then all the naysayers will have to eat their words. Yet...that will be impossible because someone will repost those words for all the Hype to see.
True, audiences tend to remember failures. I was amazed by how many people brought up Gigli when the announcement was made, even though it only made around 7 million dollars worldwide. Especially in the high school/college crowd, being that they were very young when it came out. Are terrible, hardly-seen movies popular rentals? I just think, as far as getting good work with talented people behind/in front of the camera, it won't affect him.

I'm also skeptical about him as Bruce/Batman. But I have faith that he knows exactly what he's getting into after the disappointment of Daredevil, and seeing how upset people are makes me root for him more each day.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I kinda wonder, isn't Cavill supposed to be the RDJ of DC.

RDJ launched the MCCU and starred in 5 of their films. All other stars like the two Chrises and Scarlett followed him.

Cavill has launched the DCCU. So technically shouldn't he be the big guy, the RDJ, and not Affleck?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:

RDJ launched the MCCU and starred in 5 of their films. All other stars like the two Chrises and Scarlett followed him.

Cavill has launched the DCCU. So technically shouldn't he be the big guy, the RDJ, and not Affleck?
That logic would mean Christian Bale=Tobey Maguire

Old 12-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #43
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Are terrible, hardly-seen movies popular rentals? I just think, as far as getting good work with talented people behind/in front of the camera, it won't affect him.
lol...I think so. It's like you have to watch it just to see what all the hype is about, but I you're also right if the "S" goes south then he'll be okay in he long run. He won't be able to avoid the fallout though.
Quote:

Well...no because the comparison of just starting a franchise isn't really what's being compared. The RDJ thing is a bit specific to an actor who has some history in Hollywood that includes failures. Affleck is a more apt comparison because some of the same failures RDJ was known for also apply to Affleck, i.e. the substance abuse. The comparison is really more about career resurgence, and if Affleck kills it as Batman he will FINALLY put a lot of his naysayers to bed because he will have finally redeemed his DD days. No one will be saying **** after that.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #44
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

RDJ was NEVER considered a bad actor. Like he wasn't winning Razzies. He had fallen to bad days and was in flops and all and not getting work, but never considered a bad actor. So in that case he is yet different from Affleck.

I would say in Affleck's case he would have to in a way prove that he can be a good actor, a bigger task, in RDJ's case, he just had to prove that he could be a leading man and pull in audiences, we already knew he was a good actor.

Even before Iron Man, Downey was abso-****ing-lutely fantastic in Zodiac, another Fincher production.

Maybe that bodes well for Affleck? Downey did a Fincher role and then hit it out of the park with a superhero role. Affleck has just done a Fincher role too...

Old 12-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #45
Boom
I got nothin'

Guarantee Affleck is great in Gone Girl.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #46
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Fincher's last 3 lead characters - Pitt/Button, Eisenberg/Social Network and Mara/Dragon Tattoo have gotten Oscar nominations.

So maybe Affleck or Rosamund Pike will get lucky and get a first Oscar nomination for acting!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #47
georgec
Not a hero

Damn I can't wait for the first (un-)official shots of Affleck in a Bat costume.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #48
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Me neither. I just have a feeling this batsuit is gonna be so good.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #49
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
RDJ was NEVER considered a bad actor. Like he wasn't winning Razzies. He had fallen to bad days and was in flops and all and not getting work, but never considered a bad actor. So in that case he is yet different from Affleck.

I would say in Affleck's case he would have to in a way prove that he can be a good actor, a bigger task, in RDJ's case, he just had to prove that he could be a leading man and pull in audiences, we already knew he was a good actor.

Even before Iron Man, Downey was abso-****ing-lutely fantastic in Zodiac, another Fincher production.

Maybe that bodes well for Affleck? Downey did a Fincher role and then hit it out of the park with a superhero role. Affleck has just done a Fincher role too...
The point is they have both experienced some failures. They have one failure in common with the substance abuse, but I wasn't saying that to say they have the exact same failures. As for Affleck's acting, I don't think he's the best actor, but he surely isn't the worse and no one has really said that. To his detriment and regardless of his success, DD and Gigli follow him like a stink. A successful turn as the caped crusader will do a lot to diminish or even remove that stink for good, which would be similar to what happened to RDJ after his successful turn as IM. People stopped talking about all the crap he did in the past because they were so impressed with IM.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #50
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I think it's important to note that most of Affleck's poor performances are also in horrible movies - indicating it's a problem with the script/direction much moreso than the actor. I feel sometimes people forget just how important a director is to a performance and the perception of a performance. Even exceptional actors need good direction and notes in order to thrive.