The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #51
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
This is what I mean! Even when there is an overlap of power sets, there is still a distinction, either in rationale or differing levels of ability.
The flying is not needed to distinguish her and in fact is works against her being distinct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Superman is super fast...why do we need The Flash?
Superman is strong...why do we need WW or MM or Aquaman?
Superman is super intelligent...why do we need Batman?
Superman flies why do we need anyone else who flies?
This is what you always do. You twist the argument. No one has said anything like that, but you keep doing this because you don't agree.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #52
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
But in almost all of his appearances except for very few have all showed him with this ability and the most widely and well known version of him in multimedia is a flying Superman. With WW it is not so.
WW has three popular multimedia appearances.

WW tv show...where she did not fly.
JL and JLU where she did.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #53
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:

JL/JLU is a cartoon watched by a niche audience. She is more known via Lynda Carter than Susan Eisenberg.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #54
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
The flying is not needed to distinguish her and in fact is works against her being distinct. This is what you always do. You twist the argument. No one has said anything like that, but you keep doing this because you don't agree.
How am I twisting the argument?
You are saying to take away WW's flight because it makes her too much like Superman.
I respond by saying if that is the case then if we start taking away people's abilities because Superman has them...who do we really have left?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #55
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
JL/JLU is a cartoon watched by a niche audience. She is more known via Lynda Carter than Susan Eisenberg.
I wasn't commenting on the popularity of the shows. WW has appeared on TV on 3 shows.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #56
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:

Actually three; an Animated film just a few years ago where again... she did not fly.

Quote:
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #57
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wasn't commenting on the popularity of the shows. WW has appeared on TV on 3 shows.
Then why did you even add that though when the entire point of my post was the popularity of the media?

Quote:
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #58
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
How am I twisting the argument?
You are saying to take away WW's flight because it makes her too much like Superman.
I respond by saying if that is the case then if we start taking away people's abilities because Superman has them...who do we really have left?
I said she shouldn't fly so she can be DISTINGUISHED from Superman. I have repeatedly reiterated the why and why it is specific to her; yet your immediate turn around response is: Well why don't you do that for all the heroes who have similar powers to Superman?

I gave you two reasons in two different threads as to why it is specific to her and specific to the story, but you'll ignore all that for the quick and pointless comeback you keep making.
Quote:
One of them is the most popular and on that show she did not fly. Notice when you see intervies with Lynda Carter they don't show her flying in clips from the show. So even now the image people are seeing is Wondy NOT flying. There are no interviews I know of with Susan Eisenberg.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #59
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Remember in Superman the movie, where he flies around the earth at supersonic speed with real determination? His arms are posed in front of him and he's really going at it? Well, that looks totally different to the way Wonder Woman should fly.
Her flying should be more graceful, with not as much determination and forward thrust. It should be more gliding and as if she's riding the wind currents. Her arms shouldn't even maybe be in front of her.

In Supergirl, Helen Slater had a different style to Christopher Reeve. Her flying was far more balletic, graceful and dance-like. Yes, sometimes she had her arms in front of her, but generally her movement differed from Reeve. - She also did more aerial acrobatics - something Reeve's Superman generally didn't. I think this is how Gal's Wonder Woman could fly.

You could think of Wonder Woman's style of flying as being more akin to a rhythmic gynmast or syncronised swimmer, compared to a male gymnast on the rings or a male swimmer. While the male gynmast/ swimmer is still undoubtedly graceful, it looks completely different to a female rhythmic gynmast or syncronised swimmer. The male is less about beauty and aesthetics in performing those routines/ sports compared to the woman. This is how Gal's Wonder Woman could be.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #60
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

What's more accurate to the comics?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #61
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Remember in Superman the movie, where he flies around the earth at supersonic speed with real determination? His arms are posed in front of him and he's really going at it? Well, that looks totally different to the way Wonder Woman should fly.
Her flying should be more graceful, with not as much determination and forward thrust. It should be more gliding and as if she's riding the wind currents. Her arms shouldn't even maybe be in front of her.

In Supergirl, Helen Slater had a different style to Christopher Reeve. Her flying was far more balletic, graceful and dance-like. Yes, sometimes she had her arms in front of her, but generally her movement differed from Reeve. - She also did more aerial acrobatics - something Reeve's Superman generally didn't. I think this is how Gal's Wonder Woman could fly.

You could think of Wonder Woman's style of flying as being more akin to a rhythmic gynmast or syncronised swimmer, compared to a male gymnast on the rings or a male swimmer. While the male gynmast/ swimmer is still undoubtedly graceful, it looks completely different to a female rhythmic gynmast or syncronised swimmer. The male is less about beauty and aesthetics in performing those routines/ sports compared to the woman. This is how Gal's Wonder Woman could be.

I really would like that route if they decide to go with flight for her. I want to see her on a Pegasus though. Chances are probably low on that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #62
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I never thought flight, one of the most common superpowers, could be discussed like this.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #63
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

lol, there's an entire thread dedicated to it. I think it's because Wonder Woman's methods of transportation have greatly varied over the years. Not a lot of superheroes can say that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #64
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I keep thinking how Wonder Woman fits into this film and the only thing I van think of is what if there's a war between her people & the people of earth and this is why Superman & Batman team up.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #65
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Maybe the conflict/villain in the movie is so great that it threatens the entire world, including Themyscira.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #66
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I remember Whedon giving her high leaping power in his script. I think that WW is currently capable of flying at modest speeds, 50 mph or so, but not super-sonic level, which is why she still needs the jet. We'll see what happens. I hope she has the tiara boomerang.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #67
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

I'm not sure how I feel about the tiara boomerang...could look cheesy.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #68
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I remember Whedon giving her high leaping power in his script. I think that WW is currently capable of flying at modest speeds, 50 mph or so, but not super-sonic level, which is why she still needs the jet. We'll see what happens. I hope she has the tiara boomerang.
What you mean by "currently"? Because in the nu52, the invisible jet is gone and Wondie can fly very fast.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #69
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I prefer her gliding on wind currents. This gives her limited flying ability, but not the ability to launch from the ground.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #70
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

So if she's gliding on wind currents, should she gracefully spin off of the ground when starting flight?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #71
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

Just give her red bull and she will definitely fly

Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #72
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

If she can fly, she shouldn't have the Invisible Jet. If she can't, then she should be able to leap across great distances and I would not object to her coming into possession of the Jet in the future.

Personally, I don't think flying is an essential ability for her. I don't really care either way, but if I had to choose, I would probably take it away from her.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #73
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

You people are sexists.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #74
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
If she can fly, she shouldn't have the Invisible Jet. If she can't, then she should be able to leap across great distances and I would not object to her coming into possession of the Jet in the future.

Personally, I don't think flying is an essential ability for her. I don't really care either way, but if I had to choose, I would probably take it away from her.
Yeah. Of the movie Avengers, only Iron Man could fly. Not saying that TA should be a template for the JL movie (I actually hope that it ISN'T) but having too many flying characters detracts from the significance of Superman.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #75
RadioSha
Side-Kick

I think she should be able to fly.

But if they decide to not give her that superpower, I think it'll be done the same way Marvel did with the Hulk in the Avengers. Leaping great heights and lengths across the city. Don't count on the invisible jet.

Closed Thread