The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Super-World

Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Fleischer wins 'cause of the stunning art. However, Timm's work is great and already classic.

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
Gabe99
Side-Kick

The Fleischer Superman Cartoons Arrive On YouTube [Video]

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
the Fleischer Superman cartoons all the way... Bruce Timm wimpified Superman to a new level purposefully.

the Fleischer cartoons will always be timeless, and no other superman cartoon has even come close to matching the animation level that the Fleischer cartoons had.
I agree. There will NEVER be a better non-comic book interpretation than the Fleischer toons IMO, only second to STM.

Bruce Timm seemed like he didn't know what to do with Superman. It almost seems like he doesn't get the character. You can't blame the bad parts of that series on writers as THEY HAD PAUL DINI!

The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Fleischer.

WB needs to get Superman shorts back in theatres.
In today's world? On a mass release nationwide, the GA wouldn't understand the racism and the political implications, even though many of those shows were WW2 themed. The Liberals would whine, at least in America.

The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.

Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 11-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
titansupes
Side-Kick

Thread needs a poll, but...

Fleischer. Then, now, and forever. Fleischer.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #31
Lord
All Mighty

Fleischer, for me Golden Age Superman is still the best, DC should bring back the imaginative dilemas and moral from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Thumbs up Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Fleischer, for me Golden Age Superman is still the best, DC should bring back the imaginative dilemas and moral from there.
Agreed

Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #33
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

I hated several things about the Timm/Dini version.

1) Brainiac from Krypton.
2) the character designs. I think Timm's original designs were better. The final products for Lois, Perry and Jimmy were okay, but Superman was too blocky/bulky IMO.
3) the tone was too light in a lot of episodes.

Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 11-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #34
Lord
All Mighty

Where can i see his original designs for Superman: The Animated Series? I'm intrigued by what his other ideas were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
I agree. There will NEVER be a better non-comic book interpretation than the Fleischer toons IMO, only second to STM.

Bruce Timm seemed like he didn't know what to do with Superman. It almost seems like he doesn't get the character. You can't blame the bad parts of that series on writers as THEY HAD PAUL DINI!
Doesn't Ultimate Spider-Man have Paul Dini too?

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #35
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Quote:
Where can i see his original designs for Superman: The Animated Series? I'm intrigued by what his other ideas were.

Doesn't Ultimate Spider-Man have Paul Dini too?
That is true. I guess its all about the vision of a particular series.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Fleischer. STAS is very overrated. Fleischer, however, is timeless and incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #37
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Incredible yes, but TIMELESS?
I am quite struck that you say this.
Not really. Very much set in a 1940's world (THE CITY OF METROPOLIS SHOULD FOREVER AND ALWAYS STAY THIS WAY) and the last 8 episodes are very much centered around WW2.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
Lord
All Mighty

It's still aging very well and the city, while from the 40s, still looks futuristic and if one didn't know he could think it was set in modern times

Quote:
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
Léo Ho Tep
It's a TRAP!

Timm's has nothing on Fleischer's.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
That is true. I guess its all about the vision of a particular series.
If anything Bruce Timm was probably a bigger fanboy than Paul Dini, in some interviews of the animated series Timm talks about getting fanboy angry at first due to the changes to Brainiac coming from Krypton, but that then he started to like the idea, so most changes to from the mythos probably came from Dini and the writers.

While not on the level of Fleischer, Superman: The Animated Series really deserves recognition, very well done cartoon, also had an interesting look.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #41
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

While I still think Fleischer's series was technically better... it was limited. It had no mythos to fall back on the way STAS did.

Now, if I had done STAS and had complete control, I would have gone much more traditional with Brainiac, made Lex a businessman/mad scientist hybrid... not used Lobo at all, introduced Mongol, not relied so heavily on The 4th World, used more gangsters/Intergang and made it look more like BTAS.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
Lord
All Mighty

Cut on the 4th World? If anything i would have dedicated an entire season to that. I wouldn't have changed Brainiac at all, i've started to prefer the cartoon version, it ties nicelly into the plot and the original version isn't that great.

The fact that the Fleischer cartoons didn't use much of the mythos is actually a streght IMO, it shows that you don't need to use superpowered villains in order to tell a compelling story.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Quote:
Cut on the 4th World? If anything i would have dedicated an entire season to that. I wouldn't have changed Brainiac at all, i've started to prefer the cartoon version, it ties nicelly into the plot and the original version isn't that great.

The fact that the Fleischer cartoons didn't use much of the mythos is actually a streght IMO, it shows that you don't need to use superpowered villains in order to tell a compelling story.
I do agree with you here.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #44
Léo Ho Tep
It's a TRAP!

yeah, the fleischer cartoons are fun, epic, and while the stories are simplistic, they get the job done.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #45
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
yeah, the fleischer cartoons are fun, epic, and while the stories are simplistic, they get the job done.
It's the simplicity that makes these such a treasure.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #46
GremlinZilla89
Side-Kick

As amazing as the animation is in the Fleischer toons, that's all it is. Great animation. Stone me all you want, and call me an uncultured swine but I can't watch more than a few of those Fleischer episodes without getting bored. They can be repetitive and they lack any sort of dramatic storytelling. It's just simple adventure tales and while that is fine and great for the time it still fails to hold me attention after a while. I think people tend to overrate things like it simply due to it's legacy. I will never question the craft of the Fleischer cartoons. Really, I wont. They do look AMAZING but there is no comparison to actual story and character building. Timm all the way.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 01-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #47
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Fleischer simply because I prefer the animation technique they used and because to me the golden age superman is a better representation than the boy scout super clumsy Kent.
Now imagine a Fleischer style cartoon with the Bat-man from JL: The new frontier