The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Super-World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors
 
3rdstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Third Stone From The Sun
Posts: 1,896
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Fleischer wins 'cause of the stunning art. However, Timm's work is great and already classic.

__________________
- Borg? That sounds Swedish.
- They don't look Swedish to me!
..............................................
- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
Gabe99
Side-Kick
 
Gabe99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Greeley, Co
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

The Fleischer Superman Cartoons Arrive On YouTube [Video]

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
the Fleischer Superman cartoons all the way... Bruce Timm wimpified Superman to a new level purposefully.

the Fleischer cartoons will always be timeless, and no other superman cartoon has even come close to matching the animation level that the Fleischer cartoons had.
I agree. There will NEVER be a better non-comic book interpretation than the Fleischer toons IMO, only second to STM.

Bruce Timm seemed like he didn't know what to do with Superman. It almost seems like he doesn't get the character. You can't blame the bad parts of that series on writers as THEY HAD PAUL DINI!

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Fleischer.

WB needs to get Superman shorts back in theatres.
In today's world? On a mass release nationwide, the GA wouldn't understand the racism and the political implications, even though many of those shows were WW2 themed. The Liberals would whine, at least in America.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.

Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 11-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,191
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Thread needs a poll, but...

Fleischer. Then, now, and forever. Fleischer.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #31
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Fleischer, for me Golden Age Superman is still the best, DC should bring back the imaginative dilemas and moral from there.

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Thumbs up Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Fleischer, for me Golden Age Superman is still the best, DC should bring back the imaginative dilemas and moral from there.
Agreed

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #33
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

I hated several things about the Timm/Dini version.

1) Brainiac from Krypton.
2) the character designs. I think Timm's original designs were better. The final products for Lois, Perry and Jimmy were okay, but Superman was too blocky/bulky IMO.
3) the tone was too light in a lot of episodes.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.

Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 11-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #34
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Where can i see his original designs for Superman: The Animated Series? I'm intrigued by what his other ideas were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
I agree. There will NEVER be a better non-comic book interpretation than the Fleischer toons IMO, only second to STM.

Bruce Timm seemed like he didn't know what to do with Superman. It almost seems like he doesn't get the character. You can't blame the bad parts of that series on writers as THEY HAD PAUL DINI!
Doesn't Ultimate Spider-Man have Paul Dini too?

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #35
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Where can i see his original designs for Superman: The Animated Series? I'm intrigued by what his other ideas were.



Doesn't Ultimate Spider-Man have Paul Dini too?
That is true. I guess its all about the vision of a particular series.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 19,484
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Fleischer. STAS is very overrated. Fleischer, however, is timeless and incredible.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
People always claim that Batman's villains are more interesting than he is. Even in the comics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #37
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Incredible yes, but TIMELESS?
I am quite struck that you say this.
Not really. Very much set in a 1940's world (THE CITY OF METROPOLIS SHOULD FOREVER AND ALWAYS STAY THIS WAY) and the last 8 episodes are very much centered around WW2.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

It's still aging very well and the city, while from the 40s, still looks futuristic and if one didn't know he could think it was set in modern times

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
Léo Ho Tep
It's a TRAP!
 
Léo Ho Tep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gotham city
Posts: 5,347
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Timm's has nothing on Fleischer's.

__________________
"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Léo Ho Tep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
That is true. I guess its all about the vision of a particular series.
If anything Bruce Timm was probably a bigger fanboy than Paul Dini, in some interviews of the animated series Timm talks about getting fanboy angry at first due to the changes to Brainiac coming from Krypton, but that then he started to like the idea, so most changes to from the mythos probably came from Dini and the writers.

While not on the level of Fleischer, Superman: The Animated Series really deserves recognition, very well done cartoon, also had an interesting look.

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #41
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

While I still think Fleischer's series was technically better... it was limited. It had no mythos to fall back on the way STAS did.

Now, if I had done STAS and had complete control, I would have gone much more traditional with Brainiac, made Lex a businessman/mad scientist hybrid... not used Lobo at all, introduced Mongol, not relied so heavily on The 4th World, used more gangsters/Intergang and made it look more like BTAS.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Cut on the 4th World? If anything i would have dedicated an entire season to that. I wouldn't have changed Brainiac at all, i've started to prefer the cartoon version, it ties nicelly into the plot and the original version isn't that great.

The fact that the Fleischer cartoons didn't use much of the mythos is actually a streght IMO, it shows that you don't need to use superpowered villains in order to tell a compelling story.

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Cut on the 4th World? If anything i would have dedicated an entire season to that. I wouldn't have changed Brainiac at all, i've started to prefer the cartoon version, it ties nicelly into the plot and the original version isn't that great.

The fact that the Fleischer cartoons didn't use much of the mythos is actually a streght IMO, it shows that you don't need to use superpowered villains in order to tell a compelling story.
I do agree with you here.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #44
Léo Ho Tep
It's a TRAP!
 
Léo Ho Tep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gotham city
Posts: 5,347
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

yeah, the fleischer cartoons are fun, epic, and while the stories are simplistic, they get the job done.

__________________
"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Léo Ho Tep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #45
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,909
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
yeah, the fleischer cartoons are fun, epic, and while the stories are simplistic, they get the job done.
It's the simplicity that makes these such a treasure.

__________________
Quote:
The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #46
GremlinZilla89
Side-Kick
 
GremlinZilla89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 826
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

As amazing as the animation is in the Fleischer toons, that's all it is. Great animation. Stone me all you want, and call me an uncultured swine but I can't watch more than a few of those Fleischer episodes without getting bored. They can be repetitive and they lack any sort of dramatic storytelling. It's just simple adventure tales and while that is fine and great for the time it still fails to hold me attention after a while. I think people tend to overrate things like it simply due to it's legacy. I will never question the craft of the Fleischer cartoons. Really, I wont. They do look AMAZING but there is no comparison to actual story and character building. Timm all the way.


Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 01-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #47
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick
 
Alex_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 1,800
Default Re: Max Fleischer Superman or Bruce Timm Superman, which do you prefer?

Fleischer simply because I prefer the animation technique they used and because to me the golden age superman is a better representation than the boy scout super clumsy Kent.
Now imagine a Fleischer style cartoon with the Bat-man from JL: The new frontier


__________________
In an RBE society, all goods would be available through automation without the use of money, credits, or debt for all people.
My Portfolio, The Venus Project, Truth About Meat & Dairy, Vegan Diet, Planetary Prosperity
Alex_Spider is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.