The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #701
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

How DC/WB even let that thing get made is beyond me. Just shows they werent serious about the character.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #702
SofNascimento
Banned User

So, found this:

It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #703
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
So, found this:

It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.
I can see something along these lines in a scene (probably in her own movie) of the amazon's on Themyscira doing battle or something - in essence, more like battle armor.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #704
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^This is actually how I expect the ladies of Themyscira to dress when training. Seems more practical.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #705
OneEyedKing
Side-Kick

The idea of it is cool but having an exposed stomach with battle armor is stupid and too fetishistic/needlessly sexualized. Fix that though and it'd look a lot better.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #706
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedKing View Post
The idea of it is cool but having an exposed stomach with battle armor is stupid and too fetishistic/needlessly sexualized. Fix that though and it'd look a lot better.
I thought that went without saying.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #707
bluerayer
MCU

Quote:
So, found this:

Kinda got the 80's hair going on!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #708
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
So, found this:

Aside from the oddly exposed abdomen, this is kinda interesting. I don't think they would go for something this different though.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #709
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
So, found this:

If a Wonder Woman movie had come out in the 80's... or even the late 90's I could see them putting her in this type of suit.

But in this day and age it's all about capturing the classic and iconic image while also bringing it into the modern age. So you can probably bet she'll look more like the classic Wonder Woman we all know and love.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #710
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Understandable concerns about sexual objectification aside, I really don't like pants on Wonder Woman. They either need to do the briefs or the battleskirt in my opinion. Otherwise, the costume's Greco-Roman styling will be greatly diminished. Remember the Ancient Greeks and Romans thought pants were for barbarians. The concept of broken chains hanging from the bracers played with in the one design was a few pages back was really cool.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #711
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
But in this day and age it's all about capturing the classic and iconic image while also bringing it into the modern age. So you can probably bet she'll look more like the classic Wonder Woman we all know and love.
I agree, that's why I said I don't see this costume being used. However, looking closer to the classic than this is not hard... I believe WW's costume will be more different than the classic one than Superman's was.

Which is a good thing. The nu52 costume is already MUCH better.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #712
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Understandable concerns about sexual objectification aside, I really don't like pants on Wonder Woman. They either need to do the briefs or the battleskirt in my opinion. Otherwise, the costume's Greco-Roman styling will be greatly diminished. Remember the Ancient Greeks and Romans thought pants were for barbarians. The concept of broken chains hanging from the bracers played with in the one design was a few pages back was really cool.

Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do. Now and then I say this: a lot of Wonder Woman fan designs just try mix the classic costume with a hopilite armor. It doesn't work.

The reason I posted the design above is precisely because it doesn't do this. It's true it goes too far to be a mainstream choice, yet it offer interesting ideas.

And to finish. Wonder Woman will have pants, it's inevitable.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #713
DKDetective

Quote:

Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do. Now and then I say this: a lot of Wonder Woman fan designs just try mix the classic costume with a hopilite armor. It doesn't work.

The reason I posted the design above is precisely because it doesn't do this. It's true it goes too far to be a mainstream choice, yet it offer interesting ideas.

Actually, the image you posted is late Empire, probably 3rd or 4th Century AD when all the Empire's conquered barbarians were starting to influence Rome back, so my point still stands.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #714
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
Actually, the image you posted is late Empire, probably 3rd or 4th Century AD when all the Empire's conquered barbarians were starting to influence Rome back, so my point still stands.
Yes, but that still is a roman soldier.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #715
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do.
Excellent point, but many will still argue for historical accuracy because a bustier and panties is really historically accurate.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #716
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:

Her costume was remade to resemble an American flag because Themiscyra wanted her to be there Ambassador to the United States. They copied Steve Trevor’s American Flag on his uniform. It was ment to be a gesture of good will. That how it works within the story. She has a pre american flag out fit and then she has a post american flag one.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-30-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #717
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Her costume was remade to resemble an American flag because Themiscyra wanted her to be there Ambassador to the United States. They copied Steve Trevorís American Flag on his uniform. It was ment to be a gesture of good will. That how it works within the story. She has a pre american flag out fit and then she has a post american flag one.
That's how they explained it in past continuities. But that's outdated by now. So I doubt her costume in the film will look like the US flag. Just like her nu52 one doesn't.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #718
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Excellent point, but many will still argue for historical accuracy because a bustier and panties is really historically accurate.
But that is making a straw man out of the argument. It's not about historical accuracy per se but rather a certain overall aesthetic. The point being that things like the tiara, bracers, bronze metalwork, some form of leather and metal breastplate/cuirass and bare legs all contribute to an aesthetic that is vaguely Greco-Roman or at the very least evocative of Classical antiquity.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #719
MrsKent26
Whatever.

A bustier and panties isn't required to project an image of classical antiquity.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #720
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
A bustier and panties isn't required to project an image of classical antiquity.
Never said they were, but charl_huntress made a blanket statement in response to my comment regarding preferring a costume involving bare legs, whether briefs or skirt, because they are more evocative of the traditional image of Greco-Roman warrior, whether male or female, that seemed to imply that that was my meaning when it wasn't.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #721
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

boo bare legs. Let's see some female heroes in the tights for a change

Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #722
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
boo bare legs. Let's see some female heroes in the tights for a change
nah, battle skirt all the way.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #723
DKDetective

Yep, tights are so unique and so less sexual. They really make Black Widow and Catwoman look far more modest and like less of a sex object than Wonder Woman.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #724
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

no no, i mean battle skirt with tights (women's hosiery type of tights) not pants

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #725
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
But that is making a straw man out of the argument. It's not about historical accuracy per se but rather a certain overall aesthetic. The point being that things like the tiara, bracers, bronze metalwork, some form of leather and metal breastplate/cuirass and bare legs all contribute to an aesthetic that is vaguely Greco-Roman or at the very least evocative of Classical antiquity.
My point is when the character was created her costume was not based on any sort of historical reference. Why should it be now? I don't get this desire to keep her costume (the bustier and panties) historically accurate when it never was accurate in the first place. People seem to be forgetting that so they can argue for the bustier and panties. That's really the straw man in this debate.

Quote:
Never said they were, but charl_huntress made a blanket statement in response to my comment regarding preferring a costume involving bare legs, whether briefs or skirt, because they are more evocative of the traditional image of Greco-Roman warrior, whether male or female, that seemed to imply that that was my meaning when it wasn't.
See above.

Closed Thread