The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #701
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,183
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

How DC/WB even let that thing get made is beyond me. Just shows they werent serious about the character.

Primal Slayer is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #702
SofNascimento
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,763
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

So, found this:



It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.

SofNascimento is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #703
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...
 
BatFan1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Verse
Posts: 2,264
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
So, found this:



It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.
I can see something along these lines in a scene (probably in her own movie) of the amazon's on Themyscira doing battle or something - in essence, more like battle armor.

BatFan1979 is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #704
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

^^This is actually how I expect the ladies of Themyscira to dress when training. Seems more practical.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #705
OneEyedKing
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

The idea of it is cool but having an exposed stomach with battle armor is stupid and too fetishistic/needlessly sexualized. Fix that though and it'd look a lot better.

OneEyedKing is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #706
SofNascimento
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,763
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedKing View Post
The idea of it is cool but having an exposed stomach with battle armor is stupid and too fetishistic/needlessly sexualized. Fix that though and it'd look a lot better.
I thought that went without saying.

SofNascimento is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #707
bluerayer
MCU
 
bluerayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Orbit Room
Posts: 2,344
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
So, found this:



It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.
Kinda got the 80's hair going on!

bluerayer is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #708
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 10,463
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
So, found this:



It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.
Aside from the oddly exposed abdomen, this is kinda interesting. I don't think they would go for something this different though.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #709
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 819
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
So, found this:



It's very interesting. Almost every WW costume is the same but this one dares to be different. I don't think it would work as a costume though, at least not as the main one, but it has some nice ideas and shows a different take on Wondie.
If a Wonder Woman movie had come out in the 80's... or even the late 90's I could see them putting her in this type of suit.

But in this day and age it's all about capturing the classic and iconic image while also bringing it into the modern age. So you can probably bet she'll look more like the classic Wonder Woman we all know and love.

Skrilla31 is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #710
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Understandable concerns about sexual objectification aside, I really don't like pants on Wonder Woman. They either need to do the briefs or the battleskirt in my opinion. Otherwise, the costume's Greco-Roman styling will be greatly diminished. Remember the Ancient Greeks and Romans thought pants were for barbarians. The concept of broken chains hanging from the bracers played with in the one design was a few pages back was really cool.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is online now  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #711
SofNascimento
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,763
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
But in this day and age it's all about capturing the classic and iconic image while also bringing it into the modern age. So you can probably bet she'll look more like the classic Wonder Woman we all know and love.
I agree, that's why I said I don't see this costume being used. However, looking closer to the classic than this is not hard... I believe WW's costume will be more different than the classic one than Superman's was.

Which is a good thing. The nu52 costume is already MUCH better.

SofNascimento is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #712
SofNascimento
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,763
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Understandable concerns about sexual objectification aside, I really don't like pants on Wonder Woman. They either need to do the briefs or the battleskirt in my opinion. Otherwise, the costume's Greco-Roman styling will be greatly diminished. Remember the Ancient Greeks and Romans thought pants were for barbarians. The concept of broken chains hanging from the bracers played with in the one design was a few pages back was really cool.


Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do. Now and then I say this: a lot of Wonder Woman fan designs just try mix the classic costume with a hopilite armor. It doesn't work.

The reason I posted the design above is precisely because it doesn't do this. It's true it goes too far to be a mainstream choice, yet it offer interesting ideas.

And to finish. Wonder Woman will have pants, it's inevitable.

SofNascimento is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #713
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post


Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do. Now and then I say this: a lot of Wonder Woman fan designs just try mix the classic costume with a hopilite armor. It doesn't work.

The reason I posted the design above is precisely because it doesn't do this. It's true it goes too far to be a mainstream choice, yet it offer interesting ideas.

And to finish. Wonder Woman will have pants, it's inevitable.
Actually, the image you posted is late Empire, probably 3rd or 4th Century AD when all the Empire's conquered barbarians were starting to influence Rome back, so my point still stands.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is online now  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #714
SofNascimento
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,763
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Actually, the image you posted is late Empire, probably 3rd or 4th Century AD when all the Empire's conquered barbarians were starting to influence Rome back, so my point still stands.
Yes, but that still is a roman soldier.

SofNascimento is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #715
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do.
Excellent point, but many will still argue for historical accuracy because a bustier and panties is really historically accurate.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #716
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,878
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post


Joke aside. This fixation with a greco-roman based costume is wrong. First, there was nothing of it in WW classic costume. It was an american flag. Second, it severely limits what you can do. Now and then I say this: a lot of Wonder Woman fan designs just try mix the classic costume with a hopilite armor. It doesn't work.

The reason I posted the design above is precisely because it doesn't do this. It's true it goes too far to be a mainstream choice, yet it offer interesting ideas.

And to finish. Wonder Woman will have pants, it's inevitable.
Her costume was remade to resemble an American flag because Themiscyra wanted her to be there Ambassador to the United States. They copied Steve Trevor’s American Flag on his uniform. It was ment to be a gesture of good will. That how it works within the story. She has a pre american flag out fit and then she has a post american flag one.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-30-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #717
SofNascimento
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,763
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Her costume was remade to resemble an American flag because Themiscyra wanted her to be there Ambassador to the United States. They copied Steve Trevorís American Flag on his uniform. It was ment to be a gesture of good will. That how it works within the story. She has a pre american flag out fit and then she has a post american flag one.
That's how they explained it in past continuities. But that's outdated by now. So I doubt her costume in the film will look like the US flag. Just like her nu52 one doesn't.

SofNascimento is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #718
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Excellent point, but many will still argue for historical accuracy because a bustier and panties is really historically accurate.
But that is making a straw man out of the argument. It's not about historical accuracy per se but rather a certain overall aesthetic. The point being that things like the tiara, bracers, bronze metalwork, some form of leather and metal breastplate/cuirass and bare legs all contribute to an aesthetic that is vaguely Greco-Roman or at the very least evocative of Classical antiquity.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is online now  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #719
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 10,463
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

A bustier and panties isn't required to project an image of classical antiquity.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #720
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
A bustier and panties isn't required to project an image of classical antiquity.
Never said they were, but charl_huntress made a blanket statement in response to my comment regarding preferring a costume involving bare legs, whether briefs or skirt, because they are more evocative of the traditional image of Greco-Roman warrior, whether male or female, that seemed to imply that that was my meaning when it wasn't.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is online now  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #721
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User
 
\S/JcDc\S/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,500
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

boo bare legs. Let's see some female heroes in the tights for a change

__________________
JcDc-- My original join date was: 05-07-2003 --Time flies, and so should Superman!
\S/JcDc\S/ is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #722
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic
 
KillerMcQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,609
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
boo bare legs. Let's see some female heroes in the tights for a change
nah, battle skirt all the way.

KillerMcQueen is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #723
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Yep, tights are so unique and so less sexual. They really make Black Widow and Catwoman look far more modest and like less of a sex object than Wonder Woman.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is online now  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #724
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User
 
\S/JcDc\S/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,500
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

no no, i mean battle skirt with tights (women's hosiery type of tights) not pants

__________________
JcDc-- My original join date was: 05-07-2003 --Time flies, and so should Superman!
\S/JcDc\S/ is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #725
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
But that is making a straw man out of the argument. It's not about historical accuracy per se but rather a certain overall aesthetic. The point being that things like the tiara, bracers, bronze metalwork, some form of leather and metal breastplate/cuirass and bare legs all contribute to an aesthetic that is vaguely Greco-Roman or at the very least evocative of Classical antiquity.
My point is when the character was created her costume was not based on any sort of historical reference. Why should it be now? I don't get this desire to keep her costume (the bustier and panties) historically accurate when it never was accurate in the first place. People seem to be forgetting that so they can argue for the bustier and panties. That's really the straw man in this debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Never said they were, but charl_huntress made a blanket statement in response to my comment regarding preferring a costume involving bare legs, whether briefs or skirt, because they are more evocative of the traditional image of Greco-Roman warrior, whether male or female, that seemed to imply that that was my meaning when it wasn't.
See above.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.