The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 12-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #176
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Young Female Lead?

This may be blasphemy, but I would actually prefer them not having a Skywalker be the protagonist. A big supporting character? Sure. Hell, often supporting characters are more interesting than the lead.

Having every movie focus on one family makes the universe seem rather small to me. The prequel trilogy really made the universe feel much smaller, and less grand, by needlessly tying so many characters together.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #177
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think that this trilogy should have a Skywalker protagonist, or a Solo one, just to close out that family's story arc since the big 3 are probably returning. However, if Disney wants to make more SW movies after Episode IX, then having a protagonist who's not a Skywalker/Solo is perfectly ok with me. As you say, it would expand the brand/world.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #178
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I think the "young female lead" is going to be a descendant of Luke.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #179
Loki882
Side-Kick

His daughter or granddaughter probably. However, she could also be Han and Leia's daughter or granddaughter, that could also work.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #180
X Knight
Saber Class

yeah.....she'll either be a Solo or a Skywalker, most likely.

although they could surprise us and give us an entirely new character.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #181
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I am not too familiar with Star Wars, as much as most people (I have seen the films and know a tiny bit about the expanded universe) and I think the next stories would have to center around Jaina Solo, Han and Leia's daughter and twin sister of Jacen Solo (who in the expanded universe becomes Darth Caedus, and who she has to fight and kill). So that story seems too good to pass up to me, its similar to the Luke/Vader story but maybe a little more dramatic since they are twins and she actually MUST kill him.

SPOILERS AHEAD MAYBE

The expanded universe goes as followed, from research I did making a drawing:
Han Solo and Leia get married and have twins, Jaina and Jacen. Luke is now the Jedi Grandmaster. And there are still factions of the former Empire still trying to regain power. Luke fights an assassin of the Emperor named Mara Jade. He is able to bring her to the good side and they get married. They have a son, Ben Skywalker. Then Han and Leia have a son they name Anakin. There are also other children, Lando Calrisian Jr. and Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca, and other children. Luke trains them to be young Jedis. Leia also becomes a Jedi.
Anakin Solo meets a young girl and they fall in love.
There is a major battle that the whole royal family is involved in, and Anakin sacrifices his life to save everyone and win the battle. This causes a deep darkness to start in Jacen. He looks into the Darkside and meets a Lumiya, the Dark Lady of the Sith, and she trains him in the Darkside. He becomes Darth Caedus and takes young Ben's former love Jedi Tahiri Vaila to become his apprentice. As Darth Caedus he kills Mara Jade and almost brings Ben Skywalker to the Darkside as well. It comes down to a final fight between Jacen/Darth Caedus and his twin sister Jaina. During a lightsaber battle she cuts off his hand, and then kills him. Before dying, Jacen's last good deed was sending a warning to his former lover Tenel Ka Djo, so she could save herself and his daughter from an attack of the nanokillers.

Now this does seem to have a sad and dark ending no matter what so I am not sure they would go this far, but to have her twin become the Darth Vader of the film would be interesting.

Last edited by Artistsean; 03-11-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #182
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Dry Re: Young Female Lead?

This was the last and only recent info that slipped out of the production as Disney worked with Cast It Talent last year on those open auditions.

The original write-up was this last November:

Quote:
Nationwide Search For Lead Roles For A Feature Disney Film

Seeking: Young woman to play 17-18 Years old. Must be beautiful, smart and athletic. Open to all ethnicities (including bi- and multi-racial).

RACHEL:
Was quite young when she lost her parents. With no other family, she was forced to maker her way alone in a tough, dangerous town. Now 17 she has become street smart and strong. She is able to take care of herself using humor and guts to get by.

Always a survivor, never a victim, she remains hopeful that she can move away from this harsh existence to a better life. She is always thinking of what she can do to move ahead.

Seeking: Young man to play 19-23 years old. Must be handsome, smart and athletic. Must be over 18.

THOMAS:
Has grown up without a father's influence. Without the model of being a man, he doesn't have the strongest sense of himself. Despite this, he is smart, capable and shows courage when it is needed. He can appreciate the absurdities in life and understands you can't take life too seriously.
The audition script was based on a scene with Katniss and Peeta in Chapter 19 of The Hunger Games book (the first one). They could have chosen anything in the world for the initial audition but I'm hoping this one in particular had a very specific meaning behind it.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Rachel labors to bear Thomas’s weight as they inch their way down a deserted road, blood dripping from his leg.

He’s trying to stomach an apple

THOMAS (kidding): Can’t you go any faster?

RACHEL: Shut up and eat your apple.

He enjoyed that, but every step is sheer agony on the leg.

RACHEL: There’s a barn a little farther up the road…

A big barn, dark and damp. Rachel covers the floor with hay, then lays out her sleeping bag. Thomas looks through her backpack for anything he can use as a bandage.

RACHEL: You need rest.

She lowers him down – which puts her face mere inches from his open would. She cringes without meaning to.

THOMAS: Sorry. I know it’s -

RACHEL: It’s fine. I’m just not a big fan of blood.

THOMAS: You know, for such a tough girl, you’re kind of squeamish.

RACHEL: Your fever’s still up. And we have to get some more food in you.

THOMAS: I’m not hungry.

RACHEL: It wasn’t a request.

She sits down next to him and takes out a loaf of bread.

THOMAS: Rachel, thanks for coming to get me.

RACHEL: Family has to stick together, right?

She starts to rise. He grabs her hand, dead serious.

THOMAS: Listen, if I don’t make it -

RACHEL: Sssshh.

THOMAS: But if I don’t…

Before he can finish, she drops down next to him and looks him dead in the eye.

RACHEL: You’re not going to die. I forbid it. Okay?

THOMAS: Okay.

RACHEL: Get some sleep.

THOMAS: What about you?

RACHEL: I will. In a bit.

...or else we're looking at being stuck with either Luke, Leia, and Han as the main characters in Episode VII and/or Luke's son. No thanks. Oh gawd no more lame princesses or queens or political women or babymakers for the young female roles either. I've seen enough of those in Star Wars.

Abrams said he wanted to honor not revere what came before and said he liked the unfamiliarity of A New Hope. Well, he better live up to it within the context of Star Wars. But many of the behind the scenes rumors suggest the exact opposite of all that.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 03-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #183
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah anytime there's a strong rumor, it always contridicts what JJ has been saying.

Perosnally I would limit the amount of offspring we have in the film. Too many then there's no discovery because itll be just a bunch of relatives.

We'll see. I do think there's misinformation going out by Disney. People forget how Latino Review was screwed over for a few months over 'Planet Hulk' by their 'Disney' spy who ended up being a plant.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #184
Octoberist
point blank

I still have a theory that Luke's role has been expanded from the original script but not Han or Leia. In other words, Luke can be considered as one of the leads while Han and Leia will be just supporting.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #185
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

In this interview from last June at the Women In Film Awards, George Lucas said he agreed with Abrams comment that the key to moving forward with Star Wars is to honor the past but not revere it.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/what-..._video_1608237

And this was Abrams commenting on A New Hope

Quote:
Q: What do you think about the prequels? Do you like them? Is that something that you...

Abrams: I got to say, as someone who is such a Star Wars fan, without question, my favorite movies were the original films. And it's a funny thing, because a lot of my friends have this debate where they say 'oh The Empire Strikes Back is clearly the better movie' and... I don't know. I have a soft spot in my heart for Star Wars, the original film. I love, you know, Empire as well, but there is something about Star Wars, the original...
http://collider.com/j-j-abrams-star-...ars-interview/

Quote:
"I would say that [the video conveys] a feeling that we share very much. I loved how Star Wars had that sense of a world far beyond the borders of what you can see and have been told. It's one of the things it did so brilliantly. If you watch the first movie, you don't actually know exactly what the Empire is trying to do. They're going to rule by fear - but you don't know what their end game is. The beauty of that movie was that it was an unfamiliar world, and yet you wanted to see it expand and to see where it went."
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazi...cle3906891.ece

Which Abrams shows up on this movie? The guy that wanted Arndt fired for not being nostalgic enough or this other guy?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #186
Octoberist
point blank

I have no idea. I think that's why people are on the edge of their seats for the official casting. Once they announce an official cast, then we all have a better idea of what to expect. Also we could get a small clue to the plot as well.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #187
Raven X
Straight Edge Soul

^^ certainly.

and I can't remember, but were the "Rachel" and "Thomas" roles supposed to be related?

the description about them having lost their parents and/or without a father figure is kind of weird......especially if they're supposed to be offspring of the main 3.

Disney Lover!!
Raven X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #188
EmmaRose
Side-Kick

Or it could be that the studio just made up descriptions because they needed to put something there.

Anywho, yeah as I said before I am REALLY worried JJ will let his inner fanboy get the best of him and just make it a 2 hour nostalgia trip (which I do NOT think is a good idea) where the new stuff is pushed to the side in favor of going "Hey look its Luke and Leia again! Look they are back on that planet we saw in episode 2! Look we're repeating old dialogue! Doesn't that just make you feel all nostalgic!?". Now dont get me wrong some nostalgia can be good but if they are just solely focused on shoving in as many old things as possible just for the sake of nostalgia then that can really kill this movie.

EmmaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #189
Raven X
Straight Edge Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaRose View Post
Or it could be that the studio just made up descriptions because they needed to put something there.

Anywho, yeah as I said before I am REALLY worried JJ will let his inner fanboy get the best of him and just make it a 2 hour nostalgia trip (which I do NOT think is a good idea) where the new stuff is pushed to the side in favor of going "Hey look its Luke and Leia again! Look they are back on that planet we saw in episode 2! Look we're repeating old dialogue! Doesn't that just make you feel all nostalgic!?"
that would be such a letdown............it's not even funny...........

Disney Lover!!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #190
EmmaRose
Side-Kick

Well since this is JJ Abrams we're dealing with I would not be shocked if there is a lot of misinformation going about. I wouldn't be suprised if even the actors dont know anything about the characters they are playing till after they sign on.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #191
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
^^ certainly.

and I can't remember, but were the "Rachel" and "Thomas" roles supposed to be related?

the description about them having lost their parents and/or without a father figure is kind of weird......especially if they're supposed to be offspring of the main 3.
This is my theory with the young leads IF the rumors are correct.

The main male lead is Luke's son (Thomas) and the girl would be the 'multi-racial/etc' girl that JJ is looking for.

The third lead would be the Solo's girl.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #192
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Well since this is JJ Abrams we're dealing with I would not be shocked if there is a lot of misinformation going about. I wouldn't be suprised if even the actors dont know anything about the characters they are playing till after they sign on.
I really think there's a lot that we don't know, and we're been fooling ourselves with the rumors for the past few months.

Remember the Benedict Cumberbatch rumor? I don't think he's in. Maybe at one point he was considered..maybe.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #193
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I don't want Luke to have a son.

It's bad enough the loudest fans want Luke to be the focus again but from what I've read these fans want Luke's kid to be a total copy of his arc from the OT as the main hero. So there would be two Luke Skywalkers running around together. Awh isn't that cute? No, more like makes me want to puke. The same dude Skywalker heroes saves the universe again. Who else can we rely on to save the day? Evidently nobody as far as their imagination goes.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #194
Raven X
Straight Edge Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
This is my theory with the young leads IF the rumors are correct.

The main male lead is Luke's son (Thomas) and the girl would be the 'multi-racial/etc' girl that JJ is looking for.

The third lead would be the Solo's girl.
guess that could work.

wasn't the multi-racial girl supposed to be Kenobi's daughter or grand daughter??

Disney Lover!!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #195
EmmaRose
Side-Kick

Yep its just a guessing game but now played by tons of people claiming they have "inside sources" *rolls eyes*. Its soo frustrating cause the longer I go without any news the more worried I get. I just hope whatever casting news we get calms my nerves (like they cast people who make us go "Wow thats a good choice!" and not "Ugh....well lets hope for the best")

Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #196
Raven X
Straight Edge Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

It's bad enough the loudest fans want Luke to be the focus again but from what I've read these fans want Luke's kid to be a total copy of his arc from the OT as the main hero. So there would be two Luke Skywalkers running around together. Awh isn't that cute? No, more like makes me want to puke. The same dude Skywalker heroes saves the universe again. Who else can we rely on to save the day? Evidently nobody as far as their imagination goes.
that's why I'd rather have the focus be on the Solo twins and follow their story arc.

the Skywalker kids can be supporting leads this time. but "Jaina Solo" would be the primary lead.

Disney Lover!!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #197
EmmaRose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

Yep those are the fans who I kinda think dont want to accept the fact that Mark Hamill isn't the same Luke from before. It's kinda sad to read some fanboys desires for this trilogy *mostly regarding the OT3* and I can't help but think "Yeah that would be great....30 years ago". Apart of me worries that the fanbase might be more harsh on the new cast cause they'll feel like the new cast is stealing screentime/focus from the old cast.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #198
Octoberist
point blank

The storytelling problem of Luke having a kid in the new trilogy is out of a technicality: the movies will take place 30 years after Return of the Jedi in REAL TIME. So you'll have to deal with that time gap, with the original actors who 30 years older.

We can buy Han and Leia having kids, because we saw the genesis of their relationship in the original films. Okay that's fine. But if Luke has a wife and kid, it's totally all done OFF SCREEN. That can be problematic. Now we have to introduce his wife (or maybe she's dead?) and the son.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #199
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Yep those are the fans who I kinda think dont want to accept the fact that Mark Hamill isn't the same Luke from before. It's kinda sad to read some fanboys desires for this trilogy *mostly regarding the OT3* and I can't help but think "Yeah that would be great....30 years ago". Apart of me worries that the fanbase might be more harsh on the new cast cause they'll feel like the new cast is stealing screentime/focus from the old cast.
Maybe. We'll see.

I do think the fan base is fluid; that it's constantly changing per generation. Right now, you got teens and kids who grew up with the Prequels. When the new movies hit, then you have a whole new group of kids growing with that.

So attitude and mindsets will change. And EU fans will eventually shrink as the years go on. For better or for worse.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #200
Octoberist
point blank

My other fear is that Star Wars Rebels would do everything right (and honoring the original films) and the new trilogy everything wrong. It's too early to tell obviously, but 'Rebels' has a new cast of characters, plus they're super diverse. Different genders, different ethnicities, different species.

Vs. where the new trilogy could be 'The Reunion Show' featuring the original characters with their kids.

But you know who did it right? Legend of Korra, where enough time has pass that Aang is looked upon as a folk hero.