The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #351
Airwings
Waves of air

Default Re: The Barry Allen/Flash Casting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
For me I wouldn't want a studio to narrow it down and say we are only looking at latino actors. If a latino actor fits the role best that is fine, but to change things just for the sake of changing things is usually pointless and usually ends up for the worst.
From what I understand, Warner Bros want to have a hispanic Flash just because an all-white cast doesn't represent America these days.
It's the same thing as making Human Torch black just for the sake of it.

I really hope that studios don't limit themselves that way. The best actor should get the role, not depending on race, belief, gender or orientation.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #352
BigA
Side-Kick

The best suggestion from this thread is Sam Claflin. He was perfect as Finnick in Catching Fire (and the people that flipped out when he was cast all changed their tune after they saw it). He's already in good shape and definitely has the look and range to be a perfect Flash.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #353
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
From what I understand, Warner Bros want to have a hispanic Flash just because an all-white cast doesn't represent America these days.

I really hope that studios don't limit themselves that way. The best actor should get the role, not depending on race, belief, gender or orientation.
I kind of hope that they don't change the Flash's ethnic background just for the sake of it.

If they want an more diverse background, then just have John Jones black since he's been portrayed as such in most mediums as of late and bring in cyborg as well.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #354
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I kind of hope that they don't change the Flash's ethnic background just for the sake of it.

If they want an more diverse background, then just have John Jones black since he's been portrayed as such in most mediums as of late and bring in cyborg as well.
If anything Aquaman would lend himself the most to a race change IMO.

I wouldn't mind if Mamoa was playing him.

But if they want a multi racial Justice League they can already do it with existing characters.

Superman - White
Batman - White
Wonder Woman - White
Green Lantern (Kyle) - Hispanic
Flash (Barry) - White
Cyborg - Black
Martian Manhunter (John Jones) - Black

And there you have it. A Justice League which has 42 percent of it's roster as non whites and manages to do it without altering characters. Sure Kyle probably shouldn't be around at the same time as Barry, but screw it.

Compare that to Avengers where if you don't count Fury because he's not really an Avenger is 100% white.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 AM   #355
regwec
Shakespearo

Our Wonder Woman is being played by an actress of Israeli/Middle Eastern background, so there are further diversity points right there.

I really enjoyed Ryan Choi as The Atom, and would like to see him in a JLA movie. People rarely seem to remember Asians when they think of diversity, however. Unless they think of cute Asian women. With bare thighs.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:56 AM   #356
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post

Gosh, I don't want a non-white Aquaman

Quote:
The way Warner Bros think and act, I can see them go with Hal and a latino Flash, not even knowing they could have Kyle in the film. They are a little backwards sometimes.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #357
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Gosh, I don't want a non-white Aquaman

The way Warner Bros think and act, I can see them go with Hal and a latino Flash, not even knowing they could have Kyle in the film. They are a little backwards sometimes.
Wouldn't the backward thing be making the fourth Lantern the first Lantern?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #358
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:

if they really want to bring in a Hispanic character then just bring in Kyle as Green Lantern. why make the Flash a Hispanic character when he was never Hispanic in the first place?

and i say this as a Mexican

Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #359
bluerayer
The Steel Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
if they really want to bring in a Hispanic character then just bring in Kyle as Green Lantern. why make the Flash a Hispanic character when he was never Hispanic in the first place?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #360
InnerWarrior
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #361
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I would rather warm up to the idea of just Barry Allen being in this film and his final scene being a set up for his own film later on.

Just have him come in for his professor under the CSI unit from Central City, perhaps exploring whatever scientific mystery/plot that Lex has going on.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #362
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I'd rather have hispanic Hal Jordan or hispanic John Stewart than Kyle for the first movie.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 01-02-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #363
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

or instead of turning a character like hal or barry hispanic, they can be played by one so long as the accent isn't an issue since, we come in all sorts of colors. I'd prefer that then changing the characters ethnicity.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #364
InnerWarrior
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
or instead of turning a character like hal or barry hispanic, they can be played by one so long as the accent isn't an issue since, we come in all sorts of colors. I'd prefer that then changing the characters ethnicity.
I agree. I didn't have a problem with Dean Cain, (Canadian, Irish, Welsh, and Japanese) or Henry Cavill (British) being Superman. Superman was still from Kansas in Lois & Clark and Man of Steel.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #365
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:

But if they want a multi racial Justice League they can already do it with existing characters.

Superman - White
Batman - White
Wonder Woman - White
Flash (Barry) - White
Cyborg - Black
Martian Manhunter (John Jones) - Black

And there you have it. A Justice League which has 42 percent of it's roster as non whites and manages to do it without altering characters. Sure Kyle probably shouldn't be around at the same time as Barry, but screw it.

Compare that to Avengers where if you don't count Fury because he's not really an Avenger is 100% white.
MM is one that they can play around with as well. instead of having him disguise himself as black he can disguise himself as asian, whether indian or chinese so it's more diversity then just black and white.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #366
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
The best suggestion from this thread is Sam Claflin. He was perfect as Finnick in Catching Fire (and the people that flipped out when he was cast all changed their tune after they saw it). He's already in good shape and definitely has the look and range to be a perfect Flash.
meh

Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #367
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Wouldn't the backward thing be making the fourth Lantern the first Lantern
Not as backwards as going with white Hal Jordan and making Barry Allen hispanic just to have diversity, and not understand that there's already a hispanic GL in Kyle Rayner.

Quote:
My answer:
Quote:

Last edited by Airwings; 01-02-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #368
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
I don't think that is the reason for most. For me I wouldn't want a studio to narrow it down and say we are only looking at latino actors. If a latino actor fits the role best that is fine, but to change things just for the sake of changing things is usually pointless and usually ends up for the worst.
1: It isn't changing things just for the sake of changing things, it's changing things for the sake of having more than just white dudes being represented in our popular heroic narratives.

2: How do they usually end up for the worst? What about changing the race of a fictional character in an adaptation is inherently predisposed towards a negative outcome? What examples can you give of that which illustrate that it has a higher likelihood of ending badly than ending well?

Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #369
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Not as backwards as going with white Hal Jordan and making Barry Allen hispanic just to have diversity, and not understand that there's already a hispanic GL in Kyle Rayner.
They know that, Snyder, Goyer, Affleck... are comic book fans, so we'll see. And if they use Cyborg and Martian Manhunter, the JL will be diverse enough to avoid unnecessary changes.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #370
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
They know that, Snyder, Goyer, Affleck... are comic book fans, so we'll see.
What matters is if Warner Bros know about Kyle. They are in charge and can force any direction with story/characters.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #371
Mikelus
Islander

Well, if they're going to use a GL, it will probably be either Hal or John, not Kyle Rayner. Anyway, hopefully all these rumors will end soon since shooting starts in February.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #372
Rorschach2012
$

How do you guys feel about Ben Foster as Flash?

Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #373
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I like Foster, but I think he's better at playing psychos, creeps and drug addicts. Seeing him as someone as mild-mannered as Barry Allen almost seems like a waste.

I really, REALLY want them to make a Layne Staley biopic and cast Foster.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #374
Airwings
Waves of air

I want Mazzello as Flash

Old 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #375
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
1: It isn't changing things just for the sake of changing things, it's changing things for the sake of having more than just white dudes being represented in our popular heroic narratives.

2: How do they usually end up for the worst? What about changing the race of a fictional character in an adaptation is inherently predisposed towards a negative outcome? What examples can you give of that which illustrate that it has a higher likelihood of ending badly than ending well?
Well said. Sometimes, being white is integral to the character (Supes and Bats come to mind), but race has had issues in comics. For the vast majority of classic heroes, however, they were marketed towards white people as they were the ideal market. Why, if your marketing towards white suburbia in an era when race is touchy at best, would you make the characters anything other than white? For those that point towards the emergence of more diverse characters, your often left with stereotypes, weaker characters, or others who just aren't present all that often (Blue Marvel, Icon, etc.). Why, if an actor plays a role the best regardless of race, shouldn't he be cast? These characters were made white normally because, at the time, white equating to superhero was more believable than a black hero. Why not make some changes to a tradition which is rooted in inequality?

Closed Thread