The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #976
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,990
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Because most people take Clark as a saint, n not a human. He should have no anger. He should use love to make the world a better place. So when they saw him act as a human in MOS, they (mostly the hardcore fans) were totally disappointed n complaint the loudest...
.
.
.
How...

oops... the same can be said for SR... hmmm...

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso

Last edited by sf2; 12-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
sf2 is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #977
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,990
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

if they had have added scene like superman seeing people died in the debris, which made him think he must stop Zod at once. do you think it will make them easier to accept the zod killing scene... or make it worse? like comdemning further that this superman is useless to save the people...

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #978
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,423
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
if they had have added scene like superman seeing people died in the debris, which made him think he must stop Zod at once. do you think it will make them easier to accept the zod killing scene... or make it worse? like comdemning further that this superman is useless to save the people...

I think it could have gone both ways. Showing people in the debris after Superman killed Zod would have made sense too. When you see them laying there, you knew at that point Zod had to be stopped. There was no other way.


I think they did the right thing about Superman not being able to save everyone. I think they took the realistic approach here that he can't be two places at once to save people. That's when they showed him destroying the world engine on the other side of the world.

NewYorkSpider is offline  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #979
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,990
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I think it could have gone both ways. Showing people in the debris after Superman killed Zod would have made sense too. When you see them laying there, you knew at that point Zod had to be stopped. There was no other way.


I think they did the right thing about Superman not being able to save everyone. I think they took the realistic approach here that he can't be two places at once to save people. That's when they showed him destroying the world engine on the other side of the world.
I think showing people died among the rubble will go the negative way more...
I guess superman can't save everyone is just too cruel to some... and is against the idea of superman.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #980
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold
 
Sub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,205
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

so is Kara supposed to be an ancestor of supermans and not his cousin?

Sub-Zero is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #981
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

^^She is related because she's from the House of El, but she is an ancestor to both Jor and Kal. According to the prequel comic she existed when Krypton was still exploring and colonizing the galaxy at large.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #982
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,423
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
^^She is related because she's from the House of El, but she is an ancestor to both Jor and Kal. According to the prequel comic she existed when Krypton was still exploring and colonizing the galaxy at large.
I've always wondered about this. The ship the Clark found was Kara's, right? I'm guessing maybe when Clark's beacon went off, her sleep chamber opened and that's how she gets free? There was an empty pod in the movie.

NewYorkSpider is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #983
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I've always wondered about this. The ship the Clark found was Kara's, right? I'm guessing maybe when Clark's beacon went off, her sleep chamber opened and that's how she gets free? There was an empty pod in the movie.
She got free before that, but yes it was Kara's ship and she was the captain. There were at least 4 other Kryptonians onboard with her...I think.

According to the prequel comic another Kryptonian who was a criminal escaped and stowed away on the ship. He killed all the other crewmembers except for Kara. He then waited for Kara to wake up and they fought. It's not clear what happened to her...or him for that matter. My guess is perhaps the both of them are frozen in the ice near where the scout ship was found.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #984
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,459
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
She got free before that, but yes it was Kara's ship and she was the captain. There were at least 4 other Kryptonians onboard with her...I think.

According to the prequel comic another Kryptonian who was a criminal escaped and stowed away on the ship. He killed all the other crewmembers except for Kara. He then waited for Kara to wake up and they fought. It's not clear what happened to her...or him for that matter. My guess is perhaps the both of them are frozen in the ice near where the scout ship was found.
I thought she set him on fire or something lol, I apologize if I'm bugging, cause it's been a while since I read it and I only read it once, but I coulda sworn Kara fought him and he got torched somehow....

__________________
Quote:
As the poet John Dryden once had it: "Beware the fury of a patient man." Or Batman.
manofsteel4life is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #985
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Hehe...I may sound like I really remember, but I don't. tbh...I don't really remember what happened to him. I just remember thinking I don't think he's dead. It seemed like they both could have been alive when the ship crashed on earth.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #986
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,423
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
She got free before that, but yes it was Kara's ship and she was the captain. There were at least 4 other Kryptonians onboard with her...I think.

According to the prequel comic another Kryptonian who was a criminal escaped and stowed away on the ship. He killed all the other crewmembers except for Kara. He then waited for Kara to wake up and they fought. It's not clear what happened to her...or him for that matter. My guess is perhaps the both of them are frozen in the ice near where the scout ship was found.
So maybe when the ship left is when Kara got free of the ice? That would explain why she's here in the modern day.

NewYorkSpider is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #987
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
So maybe when the ship left is when Kara got free of the ice? That would explain why she's here in the modern day.
I don't think she is free from the ice...yet. I think she will be found at some later point...or maybe she's already been found but is still being kept on ice?

Considering Zod left the drop ship in the Artic when he went to retrieve the scout ship then I would imagine the government and/or Lex Luthor would probably investigate that area from top to bottom. Maybe then she will be found. There's also the matter of that other guy who stowed on the ship. He's somewhere too.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #988
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

One thing I've read in many reviews that's bugged me is they say there was no reason for Faora to take Lois on the black zero but there was. Lois explains that they basically mind probed her, they knew from the TV that Lois knew a fair bit about Kal so of course they would want that information. I don't see why reviewers have completely ignored that.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #989
Binker
Side-Kick
 
Binker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,336
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?

Binker is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #990
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,341
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?
Time to do what my sig suggested lol.

First, can you ask your friend what decade he's living in and whether or not he's left the 1970's/1980's? Tell your friend Superman's been redefined many times over and that actual complexity has indeed been added to the character and that Superman does have flaws. I'd suggest books like Kingdom Come where we see Superman as a complex flawed character. As well as that perhaps have a look at Earth One or watch episodes of Smallville where we see him with very human flaws, I mean for god sake he's lived and raised as a human being. Man of Steel is also the first act of a much larger story in which he grows into that sort of figure.

Overall, I'd say your friend needs to leave the past and look at modern stuff, that's my POV.

__________________
Bonafide Fan of Almost Everything

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by smallville fan; 01-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.
smallville fan is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #991
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,459
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

^^ I don't think that was his friend Small lol, just some reviewer...

__________________
Quote:
As the poet John Dryden once had it: "Beware the fury of a patient man." Or Batman.
manofsteel4life is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #992
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,341
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
^^ I don't think that was his friend Small lol, just some reviewer...
Whoops didn't read it properly.

__________________
Bonafide Fan of Almost Everything

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #993
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

LOL....I like how Small stepped up to the plate regardless. That's what I love about Superman fans! I'm not even mad at chat, Small!

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #994
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,341
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

It's still good advice and rebuttal for any doubters and non-believers lol.

__________________
Bonafide Fan of Almost Everything

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #995
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa



Noted

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #996
GremlinZilla89
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Sorry this is OT, but it won't get any attention in the comics section.

I have yet to read Byrnes Man of Steel. It's one of the few lauded Superman runs I haven't, for some reason. My question is, after his six issues does it continue? And with what issue? I've always had trouble wading through older stories and arcs because I was late to the game as far as comics go.

I'm assuming it's this issue, right?


GremlinZilla89 is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #997
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 12,274
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Sorry this is OT, but it won't get any attention in the comics section.

I have yet to read Byrnes Man of Steel. It's one of the few lauded Superman runs I haven't, for some reason. My question is, after his six issues does it continue? And with what issue? I've always had trouble wading through older stories and arcs because I was late to the game as far as comics go.

I'm assuming it's this issue, right?
If memory serves, Byrne's run continued for another 24 or so issues I believe.

__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #998
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,063
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?
He's supposed to be the best while still being imperfect.

Never write him like Peter Parker. Or any Marvel character for that matter. He's supposed to set an example in morality for us, not be a bundle of neurosis or angst.

Superman Prime is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #999
Superman Prime
In All Conscience
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sancta Terra
Posts: 9,063
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

"Flawed" is the wrong word to use, really. It's not entirely incorrect, but it's too strong a word.

Superman Prime is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #1000
Binker
Side-Kick
 
Binker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,336
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Sorry this is OT, but it won't get any attention in the comics section.

I have yet to read Byrnes Man of Steel. It's one of the few lauded Superman runs I haven't, for some reason. My question is, after his six issues does it continue? And with what issue? I've always had trouble wading through older stories and arcs because I was late to the game as far as comics go.

I'm assuming it's this issue, right?

Byrne's run of Superman is the following:
The Man of Steel #1-6
Superman (Vol. 2) #1-22
Adventures of Superman #424-444 (Byrne actually wrote #436-444, but issues prior are part of it anyway)
Action Comics #584-600
The World of Krypton
The World of Metropolis
The World of Smallville
Superman: The Earth Stealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Time to do what my sig suggested lol.

First, can you ask your friend what decade he's living in and whether or not he's left the 1970's/1980's? Tell your friend Superman's been redefined many times over and that actual complexity has indeed been added to the character and that Superman does have flaws. I'd suggest books like Kingdom Come where we see Superman as a complex flawed character. As well as that perhaps have a look at Earth One or watch episodes of Smallville where we see him with very human flaws, I mean for god sake he's lived and raised as a human being. Man of Steel is also the first act of a much larger story in which he grows into that sort of figure.

Overall, I'd say your friend needs to leave the past and look at modern stuff, that's my POV.
Yeah, the guy isn't a friend of mine. His negative comments, all three of these guys, can be found in the 2013 in review where they rank the bad movies. Man of Steel is talked about in Part 1, and Part 3:
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-w...part-1-6714174
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-w...part-3-6714195

Binker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.