The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #976
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Because most people take Clark as a saint, n not a human. He should have no anger. He should use love to make the world a better place. So when they saw him act as a human in MOS, they (mostly the hardcore fans) were totally disappointed n complaint the loudest...
How...

oops... the same can be said for SR... hmmm...

Last edited by sf2; 12-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #977
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

if they had have added scene like superman seeing people died in the debris, which made him think he must stop Zod at once. do you think it will make them easier to accept the zod killing scene... or make it worse? like comdemning further that this superman is useless to save the people...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #978
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
if they had have added scene like superman seeing people died in the debris, which made him think he must stop Zod at once. do you think it will make them easier to accept the zod killing scene... or make it worse? like comdemning further that this superman is useless to save the people...

I think it could have gone both ways. Showing people in the debris after Superman killed Zod would have made sense too. When you see them laying there, you knew at that point Zod had to be stopped. There was no other way.

I think they did the right thing about Superman not being able to save everyone. I think they took the realistic approach here that he can't be two places at once to save people. That's when they showed him destroying the world engine on the other side of the world.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #979
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I think it could have gone both ways. Showing people in the debris after Superman killed Zod would have made sense too. When you see them laying there, you knew at that point Zod had to be stopped. There was no other way.

I think they did the right thing about Superman not being able to save everyone. I think they took the realistic approach here that he can't be two places at once to save people. That's when they showed him destroying the world engine on the other side of the world.
I think showing people died among the rubble will go the negative way more...
I guess superman can't save everyone is just too cruel to some... and is against the idea of superman.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #980
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

so is Kara supposed to be an ancestor of supermans and not his cousin?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #981
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^She is related because she's from the House of El, but she is an ancestor to both Jor and Kal. According to the prequel comic she existed when Krypton was still exploring and colonizing the galaxy at large.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #982
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
^^She is related because she's from the House of El, but she is an ancestor to both Jor and Kal. According to the prequel comic she existed when Krypton was still exploring and colonizing the galaxy at large.
I've always wondered about this. The ship the Clark found was Kara's, right? I'm guessing maybe when Clark's beacon went off, her sleep chamber opened and that's how she gets free? There was an empty pod in the movie.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #983
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I've always wondered about this. The ship the Clark found was Kara's, right? I'm guessing maybe when Clark's beacon went off, her sleep chamber opened and that's how she gets free? There was an empty pod in the movie.
She got free before that, but yes it was Kara's ship and she was the captain. There were at least 4 other Kryptonians onboard with her...I think.

According to the prequel comic another Kryptonian who was a criminal escaped and stowed away on the ship. He killed all the other crewmembers except for Kara. He then waited for Kara to wake up and they fought. It's not clear what happened to her...or him for that matter. My guess is perhaps the both of them are frozen in the ice near where the scout ship was found.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #984
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
She got free before that, but yes it was Kara's ship and she was the captain. There were at least 4 other Kryptonians onboard with her...I think.

According to the prequel comic another Kryptonian who was a criminal escaped and stowed away on the ship. He killed all the other crewmembers except for Kara. He then waited for Kara to wake up and they fought. It's not clear what happened to her...or him for that matter. My guess is perhaps the both of them are frozen in the ice near where the scout ship was found.
I thought she set him on fire or something lol, I apologize if I'm bugging, cause it's been a while since I read it and I only read it once, but I coulda sworn Kara fought him and he got torched somehow....

Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #985
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Hehe...I may sound like I really remember, but I don't. tbh...I don't really remember what happened to him. I just remember thinking I don't think he's dead. It seemed like they both could have been alive when the ship crashed on earth.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #986
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:

So maybe when the ship left is when Kara got free of the ice? That would explain why she's here in the modern day.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #987
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
So maybe when the ship left is when Kara got free of the ice? That would explain why she's here in the modern day.
I don't think she is free from the ice...yet. I think she will be found at some later point...or maybe she's already been found but is still being kept on ice?

Considering Zod left the drop ship in the Artic when he went to retrieve the scout ship then I would imagine the government and/or Lex Luthor would probably investigate that area from top to bottom. Maybe then she will be found. There's also the matter of that other guy who stowed on the ship. He's somewhere too.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #988
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

One thing I've read in many reviews that's bugged me is they say there was no reason for Faora to take Lois on the black zero but there was. Lois explains that they basically mind probed her, they knew from the TV that Lois knew a fair bit about Kal so of course they would want that information. I don't see why reviewers have completely ignored that.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #989
Binker
Side-Kick

I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #990
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?
Time to do what my sig suggested lol.

First, can you ask your friend what decade he's living in and whether or not he's left the 1970's/1980's? Tell your friend Superman's been redefined many times over and that actual complexity has indeed been added to the character and that Superman does have flaws. I'd suggest books like Kingdom Come where we see Superman as a complex flawed character. As well as that perhaps have a look at Earth One or watch episodes of Smallville where we see him with very human flaws, I mean for god sake he's lived and raised as a human being. Man of Steel is also the first act of a much larger story in which he grows into that sort of figure.

Overall, I'd say your friend needs to leave the past and look at modern stuff, that's my POV.

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by smallville fan; 01-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #991
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

^^ I don't think that was his friend Small lol, just some reviewer...

Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #992
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
^^ I don't think that was his friend Small lol, just some reviewer...
Whoops didn't read it properly.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #993
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

LOL....I like how Small stepped up to the plate regardless. That's what I love about Superman fans! I'm not even mad at chat, Small!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #994
smallville fan
Hero

It's still good advice and rebuttal for any doubters and non-believers lol.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #995
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Noted

Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #996
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Sorry this is OT, but it won't get any attention in the comics section.

I have yet to read Byrnes Man of Steel. It's one of the few lauded Superman runs I haven't, for some reason. My question is, after his six issues does it continue? And with what issue? I've always had trouble wading through older stories and arcs because I was late to the game as far as comics go.

I'm assuming it's this issue, right?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #997
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post

I have yet to read Byrnes Man of Steel. It's one of the few lauded Superman runs I haven't, for some reason. My question is, after his six issues does it continue? And with what issue? I've always had trouble wading through older stories and arcs because I was late to the game as far as comics go.

If memory serves, Byrne's run continued for another 24 or so issues I believe.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #998
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post

He's supposed to be the best while still being imperfect.

Never write him like Peter Parker. Or any Marvel character for that matter. He's supposed to set an example in morality for us, not be a bundle of neurosis or angst.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #999
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

"Flawed" is the wrong word to use, really. It's not entirely incorrect, but it's too strong a word.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #1000
Binker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post

Byrne's run of Superman is the following:
The Man of Steel #1-6
Superman (Vol. 2) #1-22
Adventures of Superman #424-444 (Byrne actually wrote #436-444, but issues prior are part of it anyway)
Action Comics #584-600
The World of Krypton
The World of Metropolis
The World of Smallville
Superman: The Earth Stealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Time to do what my sig suggested lol.

First, can you ask your friend what decade he's living in and whether or not he's left the 1970's/1980's? Tell your friend Superman's been redefined many times over and that actual complexity has indeed been added to the character and that Superman does have flaws. I'd suggest books like Kingdom Come where we see Superman as a complex flawed character. As well as that perhaps have a look at Earth One or watch episodes of Smallville where we see him with very human flaws, I mean for god sake he's lived and raised as a human being. Man of Steel is also the first act of a much larger story in which he grows into that sort of figure.

Overall, I'd say your friend needs to leave the past and look at modern stuff, that's my POV.
Yeah, the guy isn't a friend of mine. His negative comments, all three of these guys, can be found in the 2013 in review where they rank the bad movies. Man of Steel is talked about in Part 1, and Part 3:
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-w...part-1-6714174
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-w...part-3-6714195

Closed Thread