The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #801
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
A bustier and panties isn't required to project an image of classical antiquity.
Right, a bustier and panties aren't... but something like this is what people think of, when they thing of classical antiquity pretty much:

Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #802
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It's probably on Wikipedia, but the Amazons would cut off their right breast because it got in the way of shooting a bow and arrow. I think the right arm was known as the bow arm.
Actually, that's a myth:

Among Classical Greeks, amazon was given a popular etymology as from a-mazos "without breast", connected with an etiological tradition that Amazons had their right breast cut off or burnt out, so they would be able to throw their javelins;[citation needed] there is no indication of such a practice in works of art, in which the Amazons are always represented with both breasts, although the left is frequently covered (from Wikipedia).

Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #803
kalelinri
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingMage View Post
Right, a bustier and panties aren't... but something like this is what people think of, when they thing of classical antiquity pretty much:

Classical Antiquity is a term to describe a large period of time in a very large Mediterranean region, not everybody dressed the same. What you posted looks more Roman Republic, and that is fine. Personally, i tend to think of Wonder Woman more Hellenistic than Roman Republic.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #804
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelinri View Post
Classical Antiquity is a term to describe a large period of time in a very large Mediterranean region, not everybody dressed the same. What you posted looks more Roman Republic, and that is fine. Personally, i tend to think of Wonder Woman more Hellenistic than Roman Republic.
That's a hoplite I reckon... as acient greece as it can get. Roman republic would be more like these:

Anyway, for me, any sort of ancient reference should be only lightely used at best. The default Wonder Woman costume never had anything to do with any sort of ancient armors, no reason the film version has to. No to mention the designs people come up based on those armors don't look good. And this is actually the most important part.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #805
kalelinri
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
That's a hoplite I reckon... as acient greece as it can get. Roman republic would be more like these:

Anyway, for me, any sort of ancient reference should be only lightely used at best. The default Wonder Woman costume never had anything to do with any sort of ancient armors, no reason the film version has to. No to mention the designs people come up based on those armors don't look good. And this is actually the most important part.

that look's correct. My bad.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #806
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
While that is true it's simply the logical step to take to establish a theme for a WW Universe. Batman got the whole "Urban Avenger" schtick and Superman the "Alien Sci-Fi" angle. Since Greek Mythology is such a huge part of WW it's only logical to streamline the whole concept. WW always had this problem in her books. Nobody knows what to do with her. The best versions are those that whole heartedly embraces the greek mythology thing. Be it Perez, the animated movie or the recent Azarello run.

Imho, the greek armor concept is the only thing that makes sense from a "world building" perspective, especially for a movie. Now, one can argue that WW in MOS 2 is an already established figure who has spent a lot of time in "man's world" an thus adapted her costume. However, if she's fresh of the island so to speak I say go with a greek armor influenced design.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #807
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
While that is true it's simply the logical step to take to establish a theme for a WW Universe. Batman got the whole "Urban Avenger" schtick and Superman the "Alien Sci-Fi" angle. Since Greek Mythology is such a huge part of WW it's only logical to streamline the whole concept. WW always had this problem in her books. Nobody knows what to do with her. The best versions are those that whole heartedly embraces the greek mythology thing. Be it Perez, the animated movie or the recent Azarello run.

Imho, the greek armor concept is the only thing that makes sense from a "world building" perspective, especially for a movie. Now, one can argue that WW in MOS 2 is an already established figure who has spent a lot of time in "man's world" an thus adapted her costume. However, if she's fresh of the island so to speak I say go with a greek armor influenced design.
I can't remember agreeing with a post so completely.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #808
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

Quote:

I would cut a leg off to see a Wonder Woman film based on Azzarello's run directed by Del Toro, so in a sense I agree with you. Yet, her costume in the nu52 have nothing to do with ancient greek mithology. You could argue that the armor she uses to travel to Hell is, yet it's not her default one. It was even rejected for that role and then reused in the that particular story arc.

But I'm not saying I don't think a Wonder Woman costume shouldn't resemble an hoplite/roman armor or something in those lines. What I'm saying is that most fan made designs I see with that idea are mediocre. And mediocre just won't do. First and foremost it has to look good. Everything else is secundary.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #809
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:

I'd like something that looked like armor on the top. I don't mind the battle skirt.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #810
roach
I am the night

Quote:
I would cut a leg off to see a Wonder Woman film based on Azzarello's run directed by Del Toro, so in a sense I agree with you. Yet, her costume in the nu52 have nothing to do with ancient greek mithology. You could argue that the armor she uses to travel to Hell is, yet it's not her default one. It was even rejected for that role and then reused in the that particular story arc.

But I'm not saying I don't think a Wonder Woman costume shouldn't resemble an hoplite/roman armor or something in those lines. What I'm saying is that most fan made designs I see with that idea are mediocre. And mediocre just won't do. First and foremost it has to look good. Everything else is secundary.
I'd like to see her in several costumes. I think people are over stating the amazon connections and yes she is an amazon warrior but I'd like to see her in something more super hero-y. If she is first coming to man's world she should look like she came from an island of amazons. I'd rather she have a costume that says Wonder Woman more than amazon.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #811
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
And people wonder where Schumacher got the idea for the Bat-nipples. Well, there ya go .

*splat*
Old 01-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #812
roach
I am the night

just be glad we didn't get a belly button

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #813
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
And people wonder where Schumacher got the idea for the Bat-nipples. Well, there ya go .
I can understand what Schumacher was trying to do, but I'm astonished the nipples lasted more than one film, should've been obvious after Forever that it wasn't working.

Also, a lot of great things in that picture that I'd love to see re-imagined into a WW costume.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #814
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
I can understand what Schumacher was trying to do, but I'm astonished the nipples lasted more than one film, should've been obvious after Forever that it wasn't working.

Also, a lot of great things in that picture that I'd love to see re-imagined into a WW costume.
The giant cod pieces were what really freaked me out. The Bat-nipples were just dumb.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #815
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The giant cod pieces were what really freaked me out. The Bat-nipples were just dumb.
I was more freaked out by the Bat thong.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #816
Loki882
Side-Kick

And ironically, Batgirl's costume was the one that DIDN'T have nipples on it.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #817
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I was more freaked out by the Bat thong.

The homoerotic undertones in that movie were so thick that you'd need a chainsaw to even attempt to cut through it.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #818
Lobo
Willa ♥

Away from bat thongs and back to Diana's costume, I just foundthis drawing and really liked the design

Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #819
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If the choice is to go with a Paradise Isle that is totally in the classic "magical island" style, then a costume and armor that fits that will seem consistent. So more towards the Hoplite style with recognizable armor. If they go towards a mix of magic/science then perhaps a look that screams more "superhero" fits better.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #820
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I like it but to many Ws in it.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #821
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The homoerotic undertones in that movie were so thick that you'd need a chainsaw to even attempt to cut through it.
Well Kilmer was no stranger to home erotic undertones.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #822
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
Away from bat thongs and back to Diana's costume, I just foundthis drawing and really liked the design

I don't mind that.

The shoulder pads are a bit much though.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #823
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree 100%. Provided that Themyscira ends up being influenced by Greek culture and the Amazons end up being descendants from the Ancient Greeks or the Greek Gods.

Of course, if Themyscira ends up being based in Scythian or Sarmatian culture, then I would expect Wonder Woman's costume to reflect those origins, as "updated" by the Amazons throughout their time on Themyscira.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #824
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:

Wow, I really love that design. I do have a few nitpicks, but it's ONLY a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Well Kilmer was no stranger to home erotic undertones.

I am shocked that people don't pick him and Cruise as Best Onscreen Couple.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #825
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:

Not perfect, but very good. I wouldn't mind something like this.

Closed Thread