The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #276
Chip Chipperson
FOR YOU

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
O'Bannion ftw

Old 01-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #277
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Actually, I didnt say anything about TKS.
I was using Argo as an example of a mainstream movie that won an Oscar, as opposed to movies less liked by the public that haopen to win Oscars .
My point was that not all Oscar winners are what as known as "Oscar Bait".
in fact, most of them such as TKS, are well liked by the GA.
Well things ain't cut out in such a relentlessly simple manner. Its not like the Academy just voted for the film they enjoyed the most, Argo, like very Best Picture winner was a very heavily excessively campaigned movie.

The movie was made WITH an eye at the Oscars. Sure it is mainstream in its appeal, but the Oscars were definitely a part of its conception. A historical drama where Hollywood played a major role? Doesn't get more insider than that.

And the entire strategy of getting it out was with two eyes fully on the gold prize. That it made 200 million does not even matter, regardless of gross it would have been in play because it positioned itself so.

It was sneaked in Oscar hunting ground Telluride. Then premiered to heavy Oscar anticipation in Toronto. And then screened relentlessly for Oscar bloggers and countless Guild Screenings followed by Q & As and receptions and dinners etc.

So Argo is as much an Oscar movie or Oscar bait as The King's Speech is if not more.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #278
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerayer View Post
Just really love the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman. Just a brilliant casting decision. No really. I'm serious.

Right then. Cheers.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #279
Mike22
Side-Kick

However unexpected it was, the casting of Affleck really is terrific.
With the exception of maybe Guy Pearce, I don't think there's a single other name out there that actually can get me exited about the casting of Batman, but ultimately Ben was the right choice, a good actor, a few Oscars under his utility belt, a huge batman fan, and from the looks of it, is physically huge. As far as I'm concerned, that movie can't get here soon enough.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #280
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Well things ain't cut out in such a relentlessly simple manner. Its not like the Academy just voted for the film they enjoyed the most, Argo, like very Best Picture winner was a very heavily excessively campaigned movie.

The movie was made WITH an eye at the Oscars. Sure it is mainstream in its appeal, but the Oscars were definitely a part of its conception. A historical drama where Hollywood played a major role? Doesn't get more insider than that.

And the entire strategy of getting it out was with two eyes fully on the gold prize. That it made 200 million does not even matter, regardless of gross it would have been in play because it positioned itself so.

It was sneaked in Oscar hunting ground Telluride. Then premiered to heavy Oscar anticipation in Toronto. And then screened relentlessly for Oscar bloggers and countless Guild Screenings followed by Q & As and receptions and dinners etc.

So Argo is as much an Oscar movie or Oscar bait as The King's Speech is if not more.
I never Said The King's Speech was Oscar bait ,
But in retrospect,I should have used Silence of The Lambs as an example.
Not exactly an Oscar Winner at first glance .

Old 01-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #281
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
With the exception of maybe Guy Pearce, I don't think there's a single other name out there that actually can get me exited about the casting of Batman, but ultimately Ben was the right choice, a good actor, a few Oscars under his utility belt, a huge batman fan, and from the looks of it, is physically huge. As far as I'm concerned, that movie can't get here soon enough.
I'm happy with the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman too. I've said this before: I never considered him for the part beforehand, but to be honest I was never particularly married to the notion of any one actor to take the role. I already got my dream Batman in Christian Bale - already one of my favourite actors after giving what was at the time he was cast my single favourite movie performance as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho - who managed to make Batman the most compelling character in his own films again, and who starred in what will likely remain the definitive Batman films for me for quite some time. So whatever Ben Affleck can do with the role is gravy.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #282
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
Ben was never among my top choices, but in retrospect, I'm very happy he was chosen. I still believe in the BatFleck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #283
TerryMcGinnis
Batman Beyond

I think as an actor he will do a great job. Basically all of his failures have been linked to generally botched films, which I don't think this one will be by any stretch of the imagination. Worst case scenario, it will be passable.

As far as his face and his frame go, he blows the previous Batman actors out of the water in terms of faithfulness to the source material.

I'm a little bit concerned with his voice, because the pitch of it is a bit high, so it could sound out of place when he's in the batsuit. Then again, they might modify it in post slightly, I just hope it won't end up as butchered as Bale's was.

One thing where I feel Affleck is a slight letdown is his shape. Now, I said that he has a fantastic frame, but from the looks of the latest photos dating back to mid December, it's a pretty safe bet his shape will be far inferior to Cavil's. I know the guy is in his late 40s, but with a frame like that, I'd have expected a bit more. He's lacking in the legs, traps, and upper arms department right now.

I'm pretty sure he can cut down to "The Town" body fat levels or lower until the point they film a shirtless scene, I just don't see how he could fix the aforementioned problem areas until then. Unfortunately they'll have to rely on the suit and camera magic to keep him comparable to Cavil.

I for one think a shirtless scene for Affleck is a must, moreso than it was for Cavil in MoS, since we're dealing with a more experienced Bruce, it's an opportunity to both show off his battle scars (kind of like what they do for Amell on Arrow) and his physical shape.

It would be a nice homage to this:

Last edited by TerryMcGinnis; 01-04-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #284
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I never Said The King's Speech was Oscar bait ,
But in retrospect,I should have used Silence of The Lambs as an example.
Not exactly an Oscar Winner at first glance .
Yep. Silence of the Lambs is the perfect example of a film that was made with absolutely no thought about awards and released way early in the year but managed to win ONLY on the strength of its quality.

These days frankly it is a such an affair that you pretty much can't win without campaigning your ass, quality be damned.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #285
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMcGinnis View Post
I think as an actor he will do a great job. Basically all of his failures have been linked to generally botched films, which I don't think this one will be by any stretch of the imagination. Worst case scenario, it will be passable.

As far as his face and his frame go, he blows the previous Batman actors out of the water in terms of faithfulness to the source material.

I'm a little bit concerned with his voice, because the pitch of it is a bit high, so it could sound out of place when he's in the batsuit. Then again, they might modify it in post slightly, I just hope it won't end up as butchered as Bale's was.

One thing where I feel Affleck is a slight letdown is his shape. Now, I said that he has a fantastic frame, but as from the looks of the latest photos dating back to mid December, it's a pretty safe bet his shape will be far inferior to Cavil's. I know the guy is in his late 40s, but with a frame like that, I'd have expected a bit more. He's lacking in the legs, traps, and upper arms department right now.

I'm pretty sure he can can cut down to "The Town" body fat levels or lower until the point they film a shirtless scene, I just don't see how he could fix the aforementioned problem areas until then. Unfortunately they'll have to rely on the suit and camera magic to keep him comparable to Cavil.

I for one think a shirtless scene for Affleck is a must, moreso than it was for Cavil in MoS, since we're dealing with a more experienced Bruce, it's an opportunity to both show off his battle scars (kind of like what they do for Amell on Arrow) and his physical shape.

That's an amazing and powerful image. Speaks volumes. I know one actor who could easily bring that image to life - Hugh Jackman. Dunno about Affleck, but he has a really great trainer.

These were the latest images of his I think.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #286
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:

One thing where I feel Affleck is a slight letdown is his shape. Now, I said that he has a fantastic frame, but as from the looks of the latest photos dating back to mid December, it's a pretty safe bet his shape will be far inferior to Cavil's. I know the guy is in his late 40s, but with a frame like that, I'd have expected a bit more. He's lacking in the legs, traps, and upper arms department right now.

I'm pretty sure he can can cut down to "The Town" body fat levels or lower until the point they film a shirtless scene, I just don't see how he could fix the aforementioned problem areas until then. Unfortunately they'll have to rely on the suit and camera magic to keep him comparable to Cavil.

He's just about 42 years old. He'll be mid 40s by the time Superman/Batman comes out, but then again, look at Jackman. I think part of the reason he isn't superhuge is because he's filming Gone Girl, and the people advising him are holding him back so that he looks somewhat normal.

""I'm trying to keep him at the size he's at right now until he's done with us," Gone Girl costume designer Trish Summerville told me at the Catching Fire premiere in L.A. "I'm sure he's working out but I think for him, he's probably a guy that builds up really quickly so I just kind of asked him if he can stay where he's at right now."

When he's finished with Gone Girl, he'll probably be PUSHED to his physical limits by his trainer, and I expect to see some results.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #287
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #288
TerryMcGinnis
Batman Beyond

Quote:
That's an amazing and powerful image. Speaks volumes. I know one actor who could easily bring that image to life - Hugh Jackman. Dunno about Affleck, but he has a really great trainer.

These were the latest images of his I think.
Yes, Batman: War on Crime has some really fantastic imagery. Jackman is undoubtedly in exceptional shape, but for bringing Alex Ross' depiction of Batman to life, ironically, I think Affleck has better predispositions, with his barrel chest and wide shoulders. He could become really burly if he put his mind to it. It's a shame he couldn't focus entirely on training for BvS due to his other obligations.

Far as the photos you posted go, yeah, I'd say they're pretty recent. I do think there were a couple of more recent ones but he's been wearing heavier clothes lately so it's a bit hard to tell. His last photos in that white henley, with the beany hat, are what I'm basing most of my concenrns on.

I do hope Rehan Jalali can turn it around for Ben in what time remains before he starts shooting scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
He's just about 42 years old. He'll be mid 40s by the time Superman/Batman comes out, but then again, look at Jackman. I think part of the reason he isn't superhuge is because he's filming Gone Girl, and the people advising him are holding him back so that he looks somewhat normal.

When he's finished with Gone Girl, he'll probably be PUSHED to his physical limits by his trainer, and I expect to see some results.
Yes, you are right, my mistake, I should have left "late" out of "late 40s". It was only to illustrate the point of age difference between him and Cavil and that it has an undeniable effect on Ben's ability to put on lean muscle mass in a short period of time. Jackman has been building his physique for the better part of the last decade, and started doing it at a much better age for that purpose.

I know he's been busy with Gone Girl, and I'm aware of that quote from the costume designer saying he wants to keep his size more stable. I think it has more to do with constant re-fitting of his clothes and visual continuity than Ben running the danger of looking abnormally large in Gone Girl. In my opinion he's at least 15 lbs short of looking like anything out of the ordinary for a guy his height. He looks like he casually works out, not like he does hardcore training.

But I hope he can push really hard for the remainder of his time before filming to remedy that.

Last edited by TerryMcGinnis; 01-04-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #289
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

He has a really naturally athletic build so he won't have to do too much work come next month.

Quote:
Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #290
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
WHY HE EATIN' PIZZA? BATMAN DON'T EAT PIZZA! PIZZA MAKE BATMAN TEH FAT!!!

#JudgmentalNerd
#SuperheroPhysiquesAreImportant

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #291
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Far as the photos you posted go, yeah, I'd say they're pretty recent. I do think there were a couple of more recent ones but he's been wearing heavier clothes lately so it's a bit hard to tell. His last photos in that white henley, with the beany hat, are what I'm basing most of my concenrns on.
I think the henley photo was before the pizza photo. Atleast that's the order they were posted in the physique thread. So chronologically the pizza image is the latest one I think. Though I could be wrong.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #292
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
WHY HE EATIN' PIZZA? BATMAN DON'T EAT PIZZA! PIZZA MAKE BATMAN TEH FAT!!!

#JudgmentalNerd
#SuperheroPhysiquesAreImportant
I think the more important question is why is he wearing that sweater?

:o
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #293
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
I think the henley photo was before the pizza photo. Atleast that's the order they were posted in the physique thread. So chronologically the pizza image is the latest one I think. Though I could be wrong.
This is apparently the latest pic from December.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #294
TerryMcGinnis
Batman Beyond

Or I could be wrong. But the main takeaway is that for a while he was also looking progressively chubbier (partly due to water retention I guess). I'd say he's gained a fair bit of fat along the way, and there's no way around that. He'll probably start cutting soon. Looking at his face on this photo (December 14th), maybe he already has:

If that's the case he won't be able to put on much more muscle than he already has at this point.

EDIT: @ArmsHeldOut yeah, that photo illustrates the point about him probably already cutting even better.

Anyway, In my book, if this is more or less his final size, that means a slightly physically underwhelming Batman.

Last edited by TerryMcGinnis; 01-04-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #295
georgec
Not a hero

I bet he's in prime time cutting mode right now.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #296
Broseph44
We Are Groot

He will look fine.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: Thats the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, well always be friends.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #297
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

i was watching 'thief' last night, and i marveled at how much ben looks like a young james caan sans balding jew fro.

Last edited by ЯɘvlveR; 01-04-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #298
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
He will look fine.
Indeed

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #299
TerryMcGinnis
Batman Beyond

Oh I have no doubt he'll look good in the suit, Snyder and the costume department will make damn well sure of it.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #300
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
i was watching 'thief' last night, and i marveled at how much ben looks like a young james caan sans balding jew fro.

Heh... never noticed, but yeah, a little bit.

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Closed Thread